ADVERTISEMENT

Words that are mispronounced that drive you crazy .........

“ Cricks “ and “ Creeks “ are arguably two different things.
Creeks flow through verdant meadows and are flyfished by tweed - wearing gentlemen.
Cricks slog through barnyards and are littered with old tires and festoons of plastic trash.
Good point.

In the coal region criks often flow through town and are a curious shade of brownish orange. Another version is the runoff from sewage treatment plants which are universally known as “the shit crik”.

Reactions: HazletonLion
What's with people not pronouncing the letter "T" ? Does anyone under the age of 30 pronounce “Putin” or “mitten” correctly???

Now that I think about it, I drop the "t" sound in the middle of many words and I'm in my mid 50s. I don't think it's a mispronunciation as mush as it's dialectical. Others listed in this thread are flat out mispronunciations. Asterick for asterisk, expresso for espresso, etc.

“ Cricks “ and “ Creeks “ are arguably two different things.
Creeks flow through verdant meadows and are flyfished by tweed - wearing gentlemen.
Cricks slog through barnyards and are littered with old tires and festoons of plastic trash.
I think a crick is smaller than a creek. Although I don’t think I ever used the word Creek growing up. Sometimes I throw it in there now to look sophisticated.

Reactions: psu1969a
My boss is a very smart guy - CPA with a masters degree... but I CRINGE when he uses “mute point” in front of customers... likewise he uses the term “irreclusive” which is like chomping down on tin-foil ... emails always riddled with grammar cluster-phlox
That's on my top 5 words heard from Pharma marketing professionals.

Not necessarily a mispronunciation issue, but my all time favorite pharma marketer norm crosbyism was this senior guy who kept going on and on about wanting to implement a "parody pricing" strategy.

I was like, "you mean pricing that lampoons the other pricing?"

Reactions: psu7113 and Bob78
I don't know about other areas of the country but that is deeply rooted in Western PA.
It took me until I got to Penn State and my roommate made fun of me that I finally got it. LOL.

I'm from the Harrisburg area, and that is how that is said there. I was also a 'redd up' guy. No change all through college, even with a bunch of NY state guys in the fraternity. About half were from Pbgh, and most of the rest were Central PA, eastern PA, NJ/NY.

So first job out of school has me moving to Princeton NJ and working in a dept. of mostly young guys about my age, and all native NJ. They immediately begin busting on me for the way I talk and the expressions I use... they went nuts over 'red up'! So I take it for a while, not even understanding what they were teasing me about. One day at lunch I said, 'how come a bunch of guys from Jersey of all places can make fun of the way anyone else in the world talks?!' We all got along well, so we all laughed. Later, the guy I shared a cubicle with said to me, 'so... wtf is 'redd up'?' Then the light went on for me. I caught on to 'needs to be done' vs. 'needs done' soon after.

On a trip home soon after I asked my Dad what 'redd up' even means. He wasn't sure, but had said it all his life. 'Get the (room) ready, maybe?' was his guess.

Reactions: ItsAllGoodMan
Never heard that until I moved to Kentucky. One of my daughters had a teacher working on homophones and gave the example of crown and crayon. My head almost exploded. I told her to tell the teacher she was wrong the next day at school. It doesn’t even make sense.
Chimley.

Reactions: PSJimbo and BBrown
I'm from the Harrisburg area, and that is how that is said there. I was also a 'redd up' guy. No change all through college, even with a bunch of NY state guys in the fraternity. About half were from Pbgh, and most of the rest were Central PA, eastern PA, NJ/NY.

So first job out of school has me moving to Princeton NJ and working in a dept. of mostly young guys about my age, and all native NJ. They immediately begin busting on me for the way I talk and the expressions I use... they went nuts over 'red up'! So I take it for a while, not even understanding what they were teasing me about. One day at lunch I said, 'how come a bunch of guys from Jersey of all places can make fun of the way anyone else in the world talks?!' We all got along well, so we all laughed. Later, the guy I shared a cubicle with said to me, 'so... wtf is 'redd up'?' Then the light went on for me. I caught on to 'needs to be done' vs. 'needs done' soon after.

On a trip home soon after I asked my Dad what 'redd up' even means. He wasn't sure, but had said it all his life. 'Get the (room) ready, maybe?' was his guess.

I always thought it was PA Dutch. I've since learned though, that when fish fan their tail back and forth over their spawning site its also called redding. So "cleaning up" makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: Bob78
I try and use the mother-tougue English since they invented the language.

i.e. "My VAL-it (valet) came and brought me my VIT-a-mins (vitamins) just before I started watching the Kentucky DAR-bee."

A couple of Philadelphia-isms I though of: fill-im for film, and picks-shur for picture.

Supposably instead of Supposedly

Moot and Mute bug me but I think it is because most people just don't know there are two words and just misuse the word to begin with.

Funny grew up south of Pittsburgh. I never say crick unless I am referring to a certain body of water in my home town. I say Spring Creek, Spruce Creek, even Mingo Creek but I always say Pigeon Crick. Weird.

My favorite, FORWARD. It's pronounced FOUR-ward. Not FOE-ward.
It used to be only a New York thing. Now it seems it has spread throughout the entire country.
Okay, keep it in New York if you want, but outside of New York, it's FOUR-ward.
Not a mispro, but the word "Canceled, cancelled", how in the hell should it actually be spelled??? I see both all the time..

Reactions: CVLion
some here will hate this, but my Pennsylvanian parents say "wash" instead as "worsh"

I’ve ALWAYS had that problem with that pronunciation, especially in reference to that town in DC. When I was student-teaching so many years ago in a high school in Kansas my students actually called me out on it.

This is a common Millenial quirk. Many don’t pronounce “ T “ sounds in the middle of words.
An example would be calling “ Dayton, Ohio “, “ Day’in Ohio “.
It is annoying.

A “Day in Ohio” is VERY ANNOYING!

Reactions: psu00
It used to be only a New York thing. Now it seems it has spread throughout the entire country.
Wholesale = “hole sale” // in NY you hear “ho sale” - which is a completely different thing in most cases. And, “a whole ‘nother”.

Reactions: 83wuzme
Height -- it's a hard 't' at the end, not 'th'. Sorry, but there's no 'th' in the word height. Don't put one in it.
Less v. fewer -- it's a grammar thing, but still, e.g., it's less cloudy v. there are fewer clouds; less time v. fewer days, etc.

I always thought it was PA Dutch. I've since learned though, that when fish fan their tail back and forth over their spawning site its also called redding. So "cleaning up" makes a lot of sense.

I used to think it was PA Dutch as well. However, I read awhile ago it's actually from elsewhere in Europe. Apparently it's still used in parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland.

REDD UP

Reactions: BBrown
Height -- it's a hard 't' at the end, not 'th'. Sorry, but there's no 'th' in the word height. Don't put one in it.
Less v. fewer -- it's a grammar thing, but still, e.g., it's less cloudy v. there are fewer clouds; less time v. fewer days, etc.

Rule of thumb... If you can physically count it, use fewer. If you can't physically count it, use less.

"The fox got into the hen house now I have two fewer chickens."

"There is much less love in the world than there used to be."

A person can get by with interchanging the words in the former but not so in the latter.

Clearly soda, if you don't want to sound like you are talking about someone's dad, or the sound a balloon makes stuck with a pin.

I always say unregardless to make fun of people who do this.
Clearly soda if you want a drink with ice cream in it...when I worked in a restaurant and people asked for soda I always asked them if they wanted chocolate or strawberry.

Grew up a Yinzer, so crick & yinz & pop & Worshington are all deep “root”-ed in my lexicon. That said, when I lived in Ohio, some friends were going to a movie and asked me if I wanted to “come with” (no us/me). Also, when I lived in Chester County, I was always amused by how eastern PAers say H2O - “wooter.” And finally, up here in new england, my wife always suggests we have to be somewhere “for” a certain time - as in “we have to be at church for 9:00” (instead of being there “at 9:00” or “by 9:00”).

Grew up a Yinzer, so crick & yinz & pop & Worshington are all deep “root”-ed in my lexicon. That said, when I lived in Ohio, some friends were going to a movie and asked me if I wanted to “come with” (no us/me). Also, when I lived in Chester County, I was always amused by how eastern PAers say H2O - “wooter.” And finally, up here in new england, my wife always suggests we have to be somewhere “for” a certain time - as in “we have to be at church for 9:00” (instead of being there “at 9:00” or “by 9:00”).

Wooter in Philly
Wudda in NY

Library, why do people pronounce in Lieberry

So is it iced tea (which makes sense to me) or ice tea (which I've seen at eateries)?

And another thing that drives me crazy (often on this board) is the use of alumni. Alumni is a plural of alumnus (or alumna) but I keep seeing things like " Are you an alumni of Penn State"? or he is a Penn State alumni. I can accept "Are you a member of the Penn State alumni"? but I see the former usage way more often.

Which reminds me, am I saying often incorrectly? I don't pronounce the "t" but I had a roommate who would repeatedly give me shit and tell me that it's pronounced "off-ten". What say you?

I’m with you on the alumni abuse. But isn’t the plural of alumna, “alumnae”?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT