ADVERTISEMENT

Words that are mispronounced that drive you crazy .........

Here's something that is unsettled to me ...

Apparently, "real" golfers get angry when you use golf as a verb ... e.g., "I went golfing."

They believe it should be "I played golf."

One argument they use is that you didn't go basketballing, or footballing ... you played basketball, or you played football, so you should play golf, as well.

OK.

But, you're a golfer. You're not a basketball player, or a football player, or a tennis player, or a golf player. Tiger Wood isn't arguably the best golf player of all time, he's arguably the best golfer of all time.

So the same rule shouldn't apply.

Golfers golf.
Golf players play golf.

What say you?

Grew up outside of Harrisburg too. Stuff like ‘the grass needs cut’ and ‘Jeet yet’ (did you eat yet) were common. The only time I ever heard Redd up was when dealing with some folks from up in Perry county. Never heard it otherwise unless the person was a transplant from Pittsburgh.

On that note, can the people from Pittsburgh please stop moving here and stay in western PA? There’s waaay too many moving here over the past decade or so. It’s like running into a bunch of Glovs wherever you go. :D
I can only imagine what that has done to your property values. N' at.

I waited on line instead of in line.

I am going to disagree with this. I think "On line" and "in line" are both correct, although from my experience, "on line" is geographically centered to the New York Metro Area.

So, if you are in Manhattan and waiting for your coffee outside a coffee shop and you are surfing the web on your iPhone, you are On Line while you are On Line. If you are in Maryland and waiting for your coffee outside a coffee shop, and you are surfing the web on your iPhone, you are On Line while you are In Line.

Sure Bert.......sherbet
p-ses-bert.jpg

This guy Bert?

I am going to disagree with this. I think "On line" and "in line" are both correct, although from my experience, "on line" is geographically centered to the New York Metro Area.

So, if you are in Manhattan and waiting for your coffee outside a coffee shop and you are surfing the web on your iPhone, you are On Line while you are On Line. If you are in Maryland and waiting for your coffee outside a coffee shop, and you are surfing the web on your iPhone, you are On Line while you are In Line.
Correct, and as I understand the etymology, it had to do with literally standing on a painted line

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT