ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder what is going on with Women's basketball coach search? ...

$240K. Her contract has four years left, so who knows what her buyout is.

Some celery sticks and ranch dressing. Sandy is for paying it, but Barron thinks it is too big of a price to pay, as it will short the buffet table.

Reactions: Art
Couple of Facts and Figures wrt Women's Hoops (I know that very few people actually like to consider facts and stuff :) when having meaningful social media debates):

Women's Basketball Programs in BigTen
Ranked by Total Home Attendance / Salary of Head Coach / Standings WL

Purdue
Attendance 1st (97K) Salary 8th Standings 11th
OSU
Attendance 2nd Salary 3rd Standings 5th
MSU
Attendance 3rd Salary 12th Standings 7th
Iowa
Attendance 4th Salary 1st Standings 2nd
Indiana
Attendance 5th Salary 13th Standings 10th
Maryland
Attendance 6th Salary 10th Standings 1st
Nebraska
Attendance 7th Salary 9th Standings 9th
Wisconsin
Attendance 8th Salary 7th Standings 13th
UMichigan
Attendance 9th Salary 5th Standings 4th
MInnesota
Attendance 10th Salary 6th Standings 6th
PSU
Attendance 11th Salary 4th Standings 12th
Rutgers
Attendance 12th Salary 2nd Standings 3rd
Illinois
Attendance 13th Salary 11th Standings 14th
Northwestern
Attendance 14th (12K) Salary ??? Standings 8th

Average Revenue per ticket sold = less than $4

Now, I know no one likes to do "stats and math and stuff", but the end result is:

1) There is no meaningful correlation between salary paid to Women's Basketball Head Coach and Attendance (Revenue)
2) There is no meaningful correlation between salary paid to Women's Basketball Head Coach and Performance (Standings)
3) Even if there was such a correlation, moving from LAST to FIRST in attendance yields a revenue increase of approximately $340,000 (for PSU the bump would be approx. $200,000).... not anywhere near the cost of the typical Head Coach salary
4) Based upon all of these parameters..... it is absolute fiscal and performance insanity to even consider paying a Women's Hoops Coach in the BigTen anything above the absolute minimum required.

That's just simply the facts.

Any arguments for paying high six figure salaries (or, God forbid, if Barbour gets her way, maybe seven figures) for a Women's Hoops coach are simply unsupportable based on the facts.
This is only true if the purpose of college college sports is to make money. It is not.

Maybe this time she'll take someone off the Connecticut staff and it WILL work out this time.
Last time we took someone off Notre Dame’s staff, and we see how that worked out. There are no guarantees.

This is only true if the purpose of college college sports is to make money. It is not.

Then what is the purpose of college sports? It damned well better have a high purpose if a university loses $4mm on its women's basketball program.

Maybe we should just drop women's basketball because of all the consternation this subject matter holds to this Board. None of us need this aggravation at our age.

One man's aggravation is another man's entertainment.

I don't advocate dropping any sport per se. I do believe they should all be properly and diligently evaluated and managed. One product of this process would be some sort of presentation detailing what PSU spends on each sport and why. The pablum that Barbour spews just ain't cuttin' it.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Maybe we should just drop women's basketball because of all the consternation this subject matter holds to this Board. None of us need this aggravation at our age.

I need all the aggravation I can get. It soothes me.

Over $700,000

I listed every B10 Coach’s salary in the post above.

PSU is the only public one that doesn’t make this info available - - - but it was “leaked” a couple years back that she was at $700,000, and one would assume it has at least crept up a bit since then

Hopefully, they subtracted $10,000 for every conference loss and $15,000 for every embarrassing loss!

I am not feeling confident that Sandy is going to hit a homerun here if she was going to I think we would have already heard who it is going to be.

I am not feeling confident that Sandy is going to hit a homerun here if she was going to I think we would have already heard who it is going to be.
Depends on your definition of a homerun. If it’s a coach with their team still in the NCAA’s, you wouldn’t have heard by now, and that would be a homerun, no?

For the record, I’m not expecting the hire to be one of those coaches. But the tourney is still going on, some teams have just been eliminated. If we already knew who the coach was, then it would definitely be a coach from a lower level.

They also wouldn't get trolled by a michigan hockey fan.

:eek:

LINK

An oldie but a goodie. Sandy being apologetic because some random woman in Michigan didn't like the "409" stickers. After she apologized for being stupid she also said Joe's accomplishments would be honored at the appropriate time. The man died seven years ago. I think it's painfully obvious the university has absolutely no plans to honor him.

Is it possible to hit a “home run” wrt Women’s Hoops?

Let’s say they hire the Gal from UCLA (who’s had regular NCAA trips), or something like that..... and even assume the PSU Women’s Hoops Team makes a couple NCAAs over the next 5 years.

ie .... even if we assume the best reasonably possible outcome,

Is that even a bunt single?

Homerun for me would be someone who gets us back to consistent NCAA appearances and in the running for the B1G championships again.

Depends on your definition of a homerun. If it’s a coach with their team still in the NCAA’s, you wouldn’t have heard by now, and that would be a homerun, no?

For the record, I’m not expecting the hire to be one of those coaches. But the tourney is still going on, some teams have just been eliminated. If we already knew who the coach was, then it would definitely be a coach from a lower level.

As i said a homerun would someone who gets us back to consistency at the top half of the B1G and ncaa bids. We could be waiting for Kellie Harper of Missouri State but I am not sure about her as she was not successful at NC State before going to Missouri State. I am not one who wants the re-treads like Buffalo's coach or Harper.

Reactions: Art

Home runs typically don't happen. Coaches with a history of success at a major program seldom move

I would consider the results satisfactory if PSU hires a coach with a reasonable amount of experience (5-8 years minimum, anything less is a flyer) an unbroken upward trajectory on the court.

Reactions: Nitwit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT