ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder what is going on with Women's basketball coach search? ...

PhilaNit

May 29, 2001
We have seen nothing on the search and neither have the current recruits committed to PSU. I can't believe with 100 AAD's and an AD who thinks her $hit doesn't stink, that no one, yes no one, has reached out to the girls committed to the program for next year. We have 2 very good PA recruits (1 in top 100) that haven't heard anything from PSU. Actually Coquese reached out to say she was leaving, but no one from the school has followed up with them.

The other schools are circling the wagons and trying to get them to change their minds. Sandy better get off her fat a$$ and call them or have someone who is respected call them to keep them focused on PSU. I swear that the PSU mangement (from the AD to the Board of Trustees) are so underqualified to make any decision or run anything.

I know that they have to post the position, etc.., but at least reach out to let these young ladies know that they are wanted at dear old state. If we lose them because of poor follow-up, it will be a disgrace.

Maybe the coaching candidates are involved with their current teams currently in the playoffs. I hope so. And how would you know whether or not anyone is reaching out to current recruits? Or perhaps, as Franklin did, the new coach will have his/her own recruits to bring into the program. I wouldn’t get too worked up over one recruiting class. A good coach can recover from that and recruit to fit her own system, rather than whatever system Washington may have had. I think you’re just looking for something to be critical of our AD frankly.

We have seen nothing on the search and neither have the current recruits committed to PSU. I can't believe with 100 AAD's and an AD who thinks her $hit doesn't stink, that no one, yes no one, has reached out to the girls committed to the program for next year. We have 2 very good PA recruits (1 in top 100) that haven't heard anything from PSU. Actually Coquese reached out to say she was leaving, but no one from the school has followed up with them.

The other schools are circling the wagons and trying to get them to change their minds. Sandy better get off her fat a$$ and call them or have someone who is respected call them to keep them focused on PSU. I swear that the PSU mangement (from the AD to the Board of Trustees) are so underqualified to make any decision or run anything.

I know that they have to post the position, etc.., but at least reach out to let these young ladies know that they are wanted at dear old state. If we lose them because of poor follow-up, it will be a disgrace.

Could be that some of the candidates are presently employed by teams that will or are likely to be in the women's tournament, so we're not going to hear anything about them until their team is out or the tourney is over. If the candidates are from teams not likely to be in the tourney, you probably don't want to hear it, so what's the hurry.

Maybe the coaching candidates are involved with their current teams currently in the playoffs. I hope so. And how would you know whether or not anyone is reaching out to current recruits? Or perhaps, as Franklin did, the new coach will have his/her own recruits to bring into the program. I wouldn’t get too worked up over one recruiting class. A good coach can recover from that and recruit to fit her own system, rather than whatever system Washington may have had. I think you’re just looking for something to be critical of our AD frankly.

Very likely what’s going on. Let’s hope for the best and not rush the process. Good call!

The only person who could "reach out" to recruits on behalf of PSU is Geoff Lanier, who, if the website is accurate, is the only assistant still employed. Don't think there's much that he could tell them.

ICA isn't going to make any public comment on the search until announcing the new head coach. That is standard and sensible protocol. Likely candidates for the job still have teams finishing conference tournaments and most are about to compete in the NCAA WBB tournament. I would guess the announcement will come inside of three weeks from now.

How do you know that no one in ICA has reached out to the incoming recruits? Unless you can substantiate that claim, I doubt it is true. The recruits aren't going to be vetted on the candidates. There is always a risk that one or more recruits will defect, but that's a risk inherent in a coaching change. Hiring the right coach is more important in the long run than any recruit. ADs (or senior staff) usually tell nervous recruits to sit tight until the new coach is announced and then make a decision after talking with the new coach.

Could be that some of the candidates are presently employed by teams that will or are likely to be in the women's tournament, so we're not going to hear anything about them until their team is out or the tourney is over. If the candidates are from teams not likely to be in the tourney, you probably don't want to hear it, so what's the hurry.

It's not like Sandy is going to have a press conference to announce her list of candidates. We probably won't hear anything until someone has been hired.

Reactions: Bob78
It's not like Sandy is going to have a press conference to announce her list of candidates. We probably won't hear anything until someone has been hired.

I agree. Interest in women's basketball being what it is, I can't imagine there would be many public leaks, even if Sandy and the candidates' agents wanted to spring them.

The only person who could "reach out" to recruits on behalf of PSU is Geoff Lanier, who, if the website is accurate, is the only assistant still employed. Don't think there's much that he could tell them.

As of this morning 3/17/19, all Assistants are still on the job.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Tom McAndrew turned down the job.

Lions8286 is thinking hard about it.

I know that the recruits haven't been contacted because I know the one recruit and she has talked to the other one about this.

I understand that the potential candidates may be coaching, but don't you think that the proper person at PSU could reach out and tell them something (anything)? Don't try to sugar coat this, but the AD has dropped the ball on this one. She should have fired Washington and then called in the remaining group to determine who should call the recruits. It isn't that difficult. Problem is that our AD has no clue as to how to handle her position. Maybe she needs an Asst Asst AD in charge of making phone calls. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I agree. Interest in women's basketball being what it is, I can't imagine there would be many public leaks, even if Sandy and the candidates' agents wanted to spring them.

Exactly my thinking as well. Don't expect a rumor mill.

I know that the recruits haven't been contacted because I know the one recruit and she has talked to the other one about this.

I understand that the potential candidates may be coaching, but don't you think that the proper person at PSU could reach out and tell them something (anything)? Don't try to sugar coat this, but the AD has dropped the ball on this one. She should have fired Washington and then called in the remaining group to determine who should call the recruits. It isn't that difficult. Problem is that our AD has no clue as to how to handle her position. Maybe she needs an Asst Asst AD in charge of making phone calls. Yeah, that's the ticket.

What is anyone going to tell them, that PSU is trying to get the best possible coach to replace Washington and we'll let you know as soon as we have one? Don't see that accomplishing anything.

Is there anyone left who is allowed to contact recruits?

What is anyone going to tell them, that PSU is trying to get the best possible coach to replace Washington and we'll let you know as soon as we have one? Don't see that accomplishing anything.

NATIONAL. SEARCH. :eek:

Can’t believe Penn State hasn’t been calling PhilaNit directly with updates on the coaching search. What are they thinking??

I don't know much about the WBB staff. Are any of the assistants capable of the HC position?

Itoro was the head coach at Clemson, was fired and returned here as an assistant. Geoff don't know him that well. Tamika is the sleeper; she is an excellent position coach (centers/forwards).

Reactions: step.eng69
Did nothing for 6 years as a coach in the Big 10, then has been a perpetual third place finisher in the MAC East division with one really good year. Not real exciting.

How much is PSU paying that search firm to come up with candidates like this? Totally underwhelming.

Reactions: AWS1022
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT