ADVERTISEMENT

Wonder what is going on with Women's basketball coach search? ...

LOL.

Assuming this is the level at which PSU is looking for a new coach, all one can hope for with a hire like this, is that PSU doesn't spend a lot of money on it.

The $200,000-ish she appears to be making at UB SHOULD be the range PSU should be offering (there is simply no reason to offer someone with such a resume any more than that - not for a job that generates zero revenue, for all intents and purposes).

Knowing how things "work" at PSU (the home of the most highly-paid everything in the nation - regardless of ability or accomplishment) they will probably double this Gal's salary..... and give her a five-year guarantee.
of course, contract details will be strictly "privileged" - - - - - another PSU tradition.

:rolleyes:

$240K. Her contract has four years left, so who knows what her buyout is.

One of the most important jobs of an AD is to identify and hire head coaches for the various sports teams. That requires people skills and a hands on approach to interviewing and evaluating candidates. If Sandy passes off the most important part of her job to an outside firm, what the hell good is she then? Why not hire someone from Ventura Partners to be the AD? I'd love to know who at Ventura Partners is connected to the BoT and how much money is changing hands.

Reactions: Achowalogan
Y'all got it wrong. It is not PSU's fault, or Sandy's or the AAD's fault that this seems like a cluster bleep, they take no blame which is the reason they hire these consulting firms. They can blame everything on the consulting firm and not take any of the responsibility. C'mon man, oldest trick in the book. Well, unless your a local money laundering charity or something... :D:eek::rolleyes:

Y'all got it wrong. It is not PSU's fault, or Sandy's or the AAD's fault that this seems like a cluster bleep, they take no blame which is the reason they hire these consulting firms. They can blame everything on the consulting firm and not take any of the responsibility. C'mon man, oldest trick in the book. Well, unless your a local money laundering charity or something... :D:eek::rolleyes:

Nope. You make a hire, you own it, no matter how it came about. Barbour may not be accountable for the hires (or decisions) she makes, but that would only be because the people she works for are shit, not the mechanisms she used.

Who, outside of about a dozen people on Internet forums, thinks this search is a “cluster bleep”?

One of the most important jobs of an AD is to identify and hire head coaches for the various sports teams. That requires people skills and a hands on approach to interviewing and evaluating candidates. If Sandy passes off the most important part of her job to an outside firm, what the hell good is she then? Why not hire someone from Ventura Partners to be the AD? I'd love to know who at Ventura Partners is connected to the BoT and how much money is changing hands.

My opinion of Barbour is well-known. I doubt she is delegating responsibility for the important parts of the hiring process to a search firm. I expect that she gave them a list of candidates, that the list was modified after some discussions, that the search firm made initial contacts and conducted some short, preliminary interviews. Beyond that, I would expect that any candidate would go through a more thorough interview and vetting process by PSU people, the key person being Barbour.

If she fails at this hire how is anyone going to trust her in making choices for other head jobs on campus

This is probably a non-issue anywhere else except this forumn because we obviously know more about how to run a D1 university athletic department then those that have actual experience and do it for a living. I wonder how we would talk and feel about this back before the interwebs and the quickly free flowing information we get or don't get today. We would have to wait for the Sunday sports section in the Philly Inquirer or the Daily Snooze before we would hear anything. Part of me would like to go back in time when there wasn't information overload but then I would be a ditch digger(not that there is anything wrong with) instead of working in FinTech. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: BlueBand and Nitwit
This is probably a non-issue anywhere else except this forumn because we obviously know more about how to run a D1 university athletic department then those that have actual experience and do it for a living. I wonder how we would talk and feel about this back before the interwebs and the quickly free flowing information we get or don't get today. We would have to wait for the Sunday sports section in the Philly Inquirer or the Daily Snooze before we would hear anything. Part of me would like to go back in time when there wasn't information overload but then I would be a ditch digger(not that there is anything wrong with) instead of working in FinTech. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

If those that have actual experience in running university athletic departments were so good at it, none of them would get fired. None of them would ever make a bad coaching hire.

Running an athletic department isn't that complicated. It's on the low end of a medium-sized business. The most difficult challenge is negotiating the political shoals, which are likely more treacherous than in a business environment.

If those that have actual experience in running university athletic departments were so good at it, none of them would get fired. None of them would ever make a bad coaching hire.
Disagree completely, since we are dealing with a zero sum game.

Running an athletic department isn't that complicated. It's on the low end of a medium-sized business. The most difficult challenge is negotiating the political shoals, which are likely more treacherous than in a business environment.

They also wouldn't get trolled by a michigan hockey fan.

:eek:

The search committee at work.

screen-shot-2017-02-26-at-9-49-33-pm.png

We have seen nothing on the search and neither have the current recruits committed to PSU. I can't believe with 100 AAD's and an AD who thinks her $hit doesn't stink, that no one, yes no one, has reached out to the girls committed to the program for next year. We have 2 very good PA recruits (1 in top 100) that haven't heard anything from PSU. Actually Coquese reached out to say she was leaving, but no one from the school has followed up with them.

The other schools are circling the wagons and trying to get them to change their minds. Sandy better get off her fat a$$ and call them or have someone who is respected call them to keep them focused on PSU. I swear that the PSU mangement (from the AD to the Board of Trustees) are so underqualified to make any decision or run anything.

I know that they have to post the position, etc.., but at least reach out to let these young ladies know that they are wanted at dear old state. If we lose them because of poor follow-up, it will be a disgrace.

The AD obviously should keep you personally up to date on the search.

What’s with our AD being a carpetbagger? We can’t find someone be who isn’t pretending to be loyal?

What is a zero sum game? Athletic directors being fired? Bad coaching hires?
“Bad coaching hires”. A conference could hire 14 Nick Saban or John Wooden clones, and several fanbases will be unhappy because they aren’t near the top of the standings. (And it extends to ADs too, since those fans will also blame him/her).

“Bad coaching hires”. A conference could hire 14 Nick Saban or John Wooden clones, and several fanbases will be unhappy because they aren’t near the top of the standings. (And it extends to ADs too, since those fans will also blame him/her).

ADs are more frequently fired because their coaches/programs are out of control rather than the coaches losing too many games. See Tom Jurich, Julie Hermann, Mike Garrett, Pat Haden. Barbour wasn't fired at Cal because teams lost.

I probably should not ask these questions because the answers will probably upset me. Do women's basketball coaches earn the same as the men's coaches? Are there political correctness pressures or rules (Title IX) involved. Did Washington's salary compare to Chamber's?

I probably should not ask these questions because the answers will probably upset me. Do women's basketball coaches earn the same as the men's coaches? Are there political correctness pressures or rules (Title IX) involved. Did Washington's salary compare to Chamber's?

As a general rule, they do not. Because coaches are employees, Title IX doesn't apply.

ADs are more frequently fired because their coaches/programs are out of control rather than the coaches losing too many games. See Tom Jurich, Julie Hermann, Mike Garrett, Pat Haden. Barbour wasn't fired at Cal because teams lost.

Or they are fired if ESPiN doesn't like them and starts making shit up about them to get the sheeple united with pitchforks and torches.:D

Or they are fired if ESPiN doesn't like them and starts making shit up about them to get the sheeple united with pitchforks and torches.:D

Usually ADs are fired for good reason. Unfortunately, it's not done with sufficient frequency. That's probably because their bosses hold them to the same performance standard to which they are held.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Usually ADs are fired for good reason. Unfortunately, it's not done with sufficient frequency. That's probably because their bosses hold them to the same performance standard to which they are held.

I need to stop you here because I inferred you directing the statement in bold to barren and Sandy. Let's be clear about a few things:

1. The bot holds barren to the highest standards. He is paid very well and has a lot of responsibility. He is president of one of the nation's top university's, a prestigious position. With that comes high expectations.

2. barren would not have gotten where he is without being highly motivated. He holds himself to the highest standards.

3. barren, in turn, holds Sandy to the highest standards. Sandy is highly paid and is the head of one of the top athletic departments in the nation. It is also a position of great prestige, and with that, comes high expectations.

4. Sandy would not have gotten where she is without being highly motivated. She holds herself to the highest standards.

I need to stop you here because I inferred you directing the statement in bold to barren and Sandy. Let's be clear about a few things:

1. The bot holds barren to the highest standards. He is paid very well and has a lot of responsibility. He is president of one of the nation's top university's, a prestigious position. With that comes high expectations.

2. barren would not have gotten where he is without being highly motivated. He holds himself to the highest standards.

3. barren, in turn, holds Sandy to the highest standards. Sandy is highly paid and is the head of one of the top athletic departments in the nation. It is also a position of great prestige, and with that, comes high expectations.

4. Sandy would not have gotten where she is without being highly motivated. She holds herself to the highest standards.

I was casting a large net and didn't target Fats and Sandy specifically, but sometimes garbage happens.:eek:

What is anyone going to tell them, that PSU is trying to get the best possible coach to replace Washington and we'll let you know as soon as we have one? Don't see that accomplishing anything.

I am going to just make a wild guess that you do not work in sales?

At least spell Barron’s name correctly.

You forgot, and people say we have a culture problem......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT