ADVERTISEMENT

Woah - Ciarrocca Done

Most of the QB runs in this offense are the decision of QB.
One of the biggest issues I had with the Offense his year was down the stretch when they would sub Levis in, every cardboard cutout knew that he was going to run the ball. It wasn’t until the last couple of games of the season that you started to see him throw the ball, and with some success. I believe it was JF pushing to get him to throw the ball more. JMO

Reactions: BBrown and Ski
Another agnostic - embrace the 3, and only 3 success metrics for PSU football program’s on-field success. Understand that all football discussions are merely in the weeds, all leading to the 3 success metrics. If we do not accomplish all 3 in a season, no playoff, no NC. Argue about whatever you wish - but PSU football success is about those 3 metrics. Period. I guarantee you we will never see the playoffs without accomplishing all 3. And thus, they are all that matters with regard to on-field performance. Priorities, gentlemen. Those are PSU football’s (on-field). Franklin has yet to achieve them in a season, PSU has yet to make an appearance in the playoffs. It is axiomatic.
Those are your three metrics, not everyone’s. I’m perfectly fine with a 10-2 season and a NY6 bowl. If your only measurement of success is a NC, then you must have been a very miserable PSU fan for the history of this program.

Those are your three metrics, not everyone’s. I’m perfectly fine with a 10-2 season and a NY6 bowl. If your only measurement of success is a NC, then you must have been a very miserable PSU fan for the history of this program.
if you are 10-2 with NY6, you will at least be in the hunt for an NC. we, similar to every other program in the SEC and ACC are unfortunate to have alabama and clemson in the conference. Only so much you can do with that.

I’ve never read nor heard anyone in the program, nor on this board to my memory (which admittedly may be faulty - I am getting on in years) distill all of the variables of PSU football into the Essence of the only success metrics. So, mock the simplicity, rage that it is stating the obvious, smirk at the supposed lack of nuance - but it had not been articulated before. So, I’ll repeat for those who went to WVU: there are 3, and only 3 success metrics for Penn State football’s on-field performance:

1. beat UM
2. beat O$U
3. win the Big Ten

accomplish this in a season - good chance at playing for an NC; don’t - no shot of doing so.
And even with all your thinking about this, you’re wrong...we don’t have to beat UM to get in the playoffs, just OSU.

And even with all your thinking about this, you’re wrong...we don’t have to beat UM to get in the playoffs, just OSU.
2016 is calling.

PSU won't get in unless they are undefeated or have a *very* close loss and there are no other 1-loss teams that are anywhere near comparable.

2016 is calling.

PSU won't get in unless they are undefeated or have a *very* close loss and there are no other 1-loss teams that are anywhere near comparable.

If we didn't lose the Pitt game, we would have went.
Regardless of the score of the Michigan game.

Reactions: BBrown and psuno1
I remember when we used to credit our success to the longevity & stability of the coaching staff.

Back years ago when it used to matter. The amount of money poured into NCAAF since CFP pretty much killed stability. You need to compete to keep consumer base spending. Everyone here wants PSU in CFP. Franklin has career goals as still relatively young in coaching. Still, this is on Franklin after one year. It is ridiculous. One swan does not make a season. Tanner Morgan had fabulous game against us. Perhaps JF got enamored by KC and made rash decision. Seems so.

No, I’m afraid it is you that are wrong - and 2016 proves you are wrong. Had we achieved all 3 success metrics, that Playoff committee of slack-jawed troglodytes could have easily forgiven a 12-1 Big Ten champion PSU with a single 3 point non-conference road loss in SEP. Unfortunately, we lost to UM, thus NOT achieving all 3 success metrics, and therefore not making the playoffs. We will never make the playoffs without achieving all of the 3, and only 3 success metrics. Franklin has not done so, and PSU has not made the playoffs. As stated - it’s axiomatic.

Reactions: Ski
I’ve never read nor heard anyone in the program, nor on this board to my memory (which admittedly may be faulty - I am getting on in years) distill all of the variables of PSU football into the Essence of the only success metrics. So, mock the simplicity, rage that it is stating the obvious, smirk at the supposed lack of nuance - but it had not been articulated before. So, I’ll repeat for those who went to WVU: there are 3, and only 3 success metrics for Penn State football’s on-field performance:

1. beat UM
2. beat O$U
3. win the Big Ten

accomplish this in a season - good chance at playing for an NC; don’t - no shot of doing so.
well hell if you're going to do that you can boil it down to just the third one

If we didn't lose the Pitt game, we would have went.
Regardless of the score of the Michigan game.
No - if we had won the UM game we could have gone. We didn't’, failing at one of the 3 success metrics, and thus had no chance of going - and didn’t go. 12-1 undefeated in conference and conference champs - very good chance.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
well hell if you're going to do that you can boil it down to just the third one
No, you can’t - 2016 we were Big Ten champs, acknowledged as the toughest conference that season. Did we go to the CPF? Nope - because we failed at one of the 3 success metrics and lost to UM. PSU will NEVER go to the CPF unless we accomplish all 3 success metrics. Guaranteed.

Can you say Mansfield and going to School in the same sentence????
Bloomsburg 89!!!
You are a pup. I played against Bloomsburg in 1969 and 1970 season. It was exciting for me because as a Southern Alum, I knew players on the Huskies at that time. During my high school career our night games were played at Bloomsburg (they were building the field at Southern).
Out of high school I was accepted at Millersville, Mansfield, East Stroudsburg and Slippery Rock. My interests were History teacher or PE. Rod Kelchner (a Bloomsburg guy) was the HC at Mansfield and he invited me to spend a weekend at Mansfield. It was a different world then. Mansfield was about 19 miles from the NY border and the drinking age in NY was 18 :cool: ,My brother is a Bloomsburg Alum, but I wanted to get away from home. Went back to coach at Southern for one season'71 and my future wife and I spent our fair share of time in Hess's (does it still exist?). In 72 I took a teaching/ coaching job in NY and never returned.

Reactions: Meteor-Lion
I'll miss the 40 yard fade passes on third and two!
and the only two running plays: QB up the middle or RB up the middle. Thank goodness Franklin got rid of him and sounds like a terrific hire. Now I really am looking forward to next year. Oh, I forgot how bad the D was last year

New OC looks good. Better resume than Kirk's.

I think the big question is will he jive with Franklin. Franklin wants to have his fingers in the offensive pie (no under center snaps, weird trick plays at random times, goalline fades to 5-9 receivers, etc.). Mike will need to work with him. :/

“Penn State went 4-5 in 2020 while averaging 430.3 yards per game on offense, which was second in the Big Ten to Ohio State. The Nittany Lions' offense had 32 total touchdowns in nine games, which was also second in the conference.”

The average person reading this might be dumbfounded by the firing of Ciarrocca. My guess, as a real know-nothing, is a personality clash between Franklin and Ciarrocca, bad chemistry between Ciarrocca and the players, and/or the notion that Franklin wanted to hire Yurcich before Ciarrocca. I suppose it’s possible that Franklin made the move due to red-zone issues and turnovers, but I don’t think you fire a coach over these issues after just one season, and a COVID. o_O season at that.

They did get better as the season went on, in a weird Covid year nonetheless. Either way, it's a cut throat business. I can just walk through the whole year with KC and his family. Just settling down, and BAM.

Perhaps JF got enamored by KC and made rash decision. Seems so.

I think MY is the coach we originally wanted to hire. As was said, we were out-bid for his services or he picked Texas over us. Perhaps his availability was too good to pass up?

I think this board got highly enamored with KC because of the Minnesota game. You would think they scored 10 TDs on 11 plays, but the reality is it took their best performance and, up to that date, SCs worst for them to win a game that had one OPI not been called could have been a really good comeback.

So now that we have the top OC in the country aboard are we allowed to recruit nationally or must we just stick to recruiting 6 states in the Northeast? I'll hang up and listen. 😏

Its almost worthy of a Poll question. What will Offensive woes be blamed on this year
  1. Third OC in three years
  2. OSU sucks up all the five stars
  3. Lack of RB depth
  4. Lack of WR height
  5. Pry's defense limits offense strategy to playing catch-up
  6. Covid hangover
  7. No QB sneak
WRs can’t separate. Always my favorite. So many talented guys at WR but can’t seem to separate like it’s a board of BWI posters running routes.

Not to temper some enthusiasm, is anyone concerned that Yurchics stats were a touch inflated in the Big12? There is no defense played down that way.

Reactions: tlbakernc
This is pretty surprising news to read. Feel bad for anybody losing their job. Tough set of circumstances for KC this season but this sounds like an upgrade regardless. Tough but financially rewarding vocation.

Man oh man, the stories I heard about Ciarrocca from this past season (I will post later today, busy at work!) Good riddance Kirk!
Not sure I can wade through 270++ posts; curious as to the stories. True a strange year but was monumentally disappointed in Kirk C's offense this past year, expected a much more diverse offense. Have to believe the new guy, appears to have an excellent track record, hopefully a better recruiter.

2016 is calling.

We also lost to Pitt in 2016...had we just lost to UM, we would have got it.

No, I’m afraid it is you that are wrong - and 2016 proves you are wrong. Had we achieved all 3 success metrics, that Playoff committee of slack-jawed troglodytes could have easily forgiven a 12-1 Big Ten champion PSU with a single 3 point non-conference road loss in SEP. Unfortunately, we lost to UM, thus NOT achieving all 3 success metrics, and therefore not making the playoffs. We will never make the playoffs without achieving all of the 3, and only 3 success metrics. Franklin has not done so, and PSU has not made the playoffs. As stated - it’s axiomatic.
Wrong again, had we beat Pitt , we would have made it even with losing to Michigan. What happens if we beat OSU and Michigan but lose to Iowa and Illinois? Think we get in even if we win the Big10?

You sound like someone who simply doesn't like Franklin. This was a gutsy move and a great move. Yet you will still take pot-shots from the peanut gallery. You sound like an asshole, honestly. No shortage of those here.

He is generally miserable here.

Not sure I can wade through 270++ posts; curious as to the stories. True a strange year but was monumentally disappointed in Kirk C's offense this past year, expected a much more diverse offense. Have to believe the new guy, appears to have an excellent track record, hopefully a better recruiter.
Well to summarize, you don't need to try hard to be hated if you coach at PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT