ADVERTISEMENT

Woah - Ciarrocca Done

He didn’t say he would like to see him slide less, he said he was sliding too early and wasn’t finishing plays. In other words, don’t slide 10 yards early when you can slide five yards early.

If I took him out of context, my apologies, but after a very good half of football it seemed like a very odd thing to say. How bout stop running clifford so much when literally everything else is working offensively? Stop sliding so early? that is what the coach was focused on? And I don't remember many instances of clifford sliding way early in the rutgers game. Christ, clifford and trace have been hurt the last 4 or 5 years with this philosophy.

Don't worry about it - if you in any way shape or form criticize any coach and even one not at PSU this guy will set you straight because he coached at one time and you didn't so you and everyone else has no right to criticize any coach no matter how bad they may appear to be - got it.
Well it does seem like the guys who have coached do disagree with the ones who haven’t, so who to believe? That’s a tough one.

Would you hire him to be your teams OC or DC? Simple question.

He is a figurehead and face of the program. He just made a potentially impactful decision to hire the best OC available, that makes him a good coach in my mind. He supports his players and demands they go to class, that makes him a good HC. He is a solid recruiter and relates well to players, he is a good coach. He is NOT a tactical coach on the field, sorry. Take some solace in the fact I have never requested he be fired.
Well he wasn’t always a head coach...he was a position coach and an OC prior to becoming a head coach and he did it well enough to land a head coaching job and then continue to move up. But I guess they always hire guys who are bad coordinators as head coaches (eye roll).

Reactions: Mickey Swartz
Well he wasn’t always a head coach...he was a position coach and an OC prior to becoming a head coach and he did it well enough to land a head coaching job and then continue to move up. But I guess they always hire guys who are bad coordinators as head coaches (eye roll).

He wasn't a great OC and he coached Receivers in Green Bay. Receivers have been one of the more glaring problems during his tenure. So that this doesn't continue to get too far off track, I like franklin, I think he is a good HC and I want him here for years to come. I don't want him in the ear of a very accomplished OC next year. That is all, reasonable?

So people shouldn’t express opinions that don’t line up with yours?
You can only express an opinion about a coach if you were a coach - I think Pee Wee football might count in his book but not sure - he is like Pavlov's Dog - crticize a coach and he answers the bell no matter how valid your criticism is.

Is there anything that brings out keyboard critics and produces a collective chubby here....more that a coaching change?
I happen to think this was more a case of the best OC becoming available than anything else......but a word of caution.....this is the same kind of reaction....from some of the very same coaching experts that greeted the exit of RR and the hiring of KC.....LOL But, who is counting?

I'm pretty excited about the new hire, but everything you said is painfully accurate.

One of the foremost keys to organizational success is organizational stability. Franklin's repeated poor judgement of competence in his assistant coaching hires is a major factor in PSU's underperformance.

Shall I list them?
Donovan, Shoop, Rahne, Gattis, Hand, Limegrover, Corely, Galiano, Ciarocca,

Who's neck is next for the CEO to save himself? Lorig? Scott? Stubblefield? Pry?

Couple of those coaches left on their own but the repeated firing of assistants isn't what you would expect from an upper end HC. It does make you wonder if Franklin really does a good job assessing his coaching hire. Average life expectancy of an OC under Franklin is less than 2 years. Not really good especially considering the product we have been putting on the field. DC and OC are you two biggest hires and Franklin can't seem to get he offensive side right.

One of the foremost keys to organizational success is organizational stability. Franklin's repeated poor judgement of competence in his assistant coaching hires is a major factor in PSU's underperformance.

Shall I list them?
Donovan, Shoop, Rahne, Gattis, Hand, Limegrover, Corely, Galiano, Ciarocca,

Who's neck is next for the CEO to save himself? Lorig? Scott? Stubblefield? Pry?
I mean Shoop did a great job when he was here and Gattis was highly regarded enough to get a job at Bama and then UM as OC. I don’t know how you characterize their time at PSU as incompetent. Even Hand left for a job at auburn, though I agree his lines weren’t great.

Also, has PSU really underperformed until this season? There are things that irk me about Franklin on game day, but he has run a highly successful program for years now.

If I took him out of context, my apologies, but after a very good half of football it seemed like a very odd thing to say. How bout stop running clifford so much when literally everything else is working offensively? Stop sliding so early? that is what the coach was focused on? And I don't remember many instances of clifford sliding way early in the rutgers game. Christ, clifford and trace have been hurt the last 4 or 5 years with this philosophy.
I’m sure that wasn’t the only thing he was focused on....he was likely asked about how he thought Clifford was doing.

He wasn't a great OC and he coached Receivers in Green Bay. Receivers have been one of the more glaring problems during his tenure. So that this doesn't continue to get too far off track, I like franklin, I think he is a good HC and I want him here for years to come. I don't want him in the ear of a very accomplished OC next year. That is all, reasonable?
No because it doesn’t matter who the “accomplished” OC is, he won’t live up to expectations on this board.

Couple of those coaches left on their own but the repeated firing of assistants isn't what you would expect from an upper end HC. It does make you wonder if Franklin really does a good job assessing his coaching hire. Average life expectancy of an OC under Franklin is less than 2 years. Not really good especially considering the product we have been putting on the field. DC and OC are you two biggest hires and Franklin can't seem to get he offensive side right.
You sound like someone who simply doesn't like Franklin. This was a gutsy move and a great move. Yet you will still take pot-shots from the peanut gallery. You sound like an asshole, honestly. No shortage of those here.

Considering two OC’s left to be head coaches, I’d say you would be hard pressed to be more wrong.

LOL. Being on the Lions Den for quite a while, I remember many time Phil and other insiders raving on what the offense scheme was doing in practice only to find none of that come game day. Joe in his later years had the propensity to gut the scheme come Friday and we ended up with a dumbed down offense on Saturday.

With KC, Franklin came out and said the offensive scheme we were going to run was a blended of what we were doing and KC's scheme. Obviously the QB run game came over big time from "what we were doing". When KC first came here, he indicated that the QB would run less. That never happened and he changed his tune as we got closer to the season. I expect he got overruled when it came to the QBs running less. Mike Y seems to be a better fit for what Franklin wants to run which includes a big dose of QB run. As far as Franklin calling plays, he has a head set on all the time. If he wants to and I'm sure he does, he can overrule the guys calling the plays. Joe did it, I'm sure Franklin does it.
He can. But I'd wager its done rarely.

Folks - Coach Franklin can fire, hire, rearrange, change recruiting emphasis, focus on regional, national, world recruiting and NONE of it will guarantee a spot in the college football NC playoffs. So what will? This:

1. Beat Michigan
2. Beat Ohio State
3. Win the Big Ten

Period, end of argument. If all 3 of the 3 ( and only 3) criteria for on field success of Penn State football are not met in the same season, we will NEVER play for an NC again. That’s it - irrespective of firings, hirings, recruiting, White-outs, facilities, good-looking coeds, whatever. Succeed in meeting the 3 criteria in a season, and we’ve got a good shot. Fail in any one( or, typically for us 2), and we ain’t going to any playoff.

So - whatever machinations or combinations of factors it takes to achieve the needed result in the only 3 metrics that matter for PSU football, all in the same season, is the ticket. Now, Coach Franklin, go do it.

I'm pretty excited about the new hire, but everything you said is painfully accurate.
Nothing about the game of football is Maddon like. All opponents have HCs, OCs, DCs and talented players. As such, no one coach has the recipe for ice....Monday night a fan base (either Alabama or Ohio State) will be criticizing their coaching staff .....

This is James Franklin jumping on an opportunity to hire someone he holds in very high regard. Kirk C never really got started to be fair but Yurcich wasn’t going to be unemployed very long. Gutsy move.

And wonder if he was speaking to Michigan as well ? Or if Joe M is indeed going to the Wolverines this is a great “ counter strike”... really like this hire !!!

Reactions: marshall23
Folks - Coach Franklin can fire, hire, rearrange, change recruiting emphasis, focus on regional, national, world recruiting and NONE of it will guarantee a spot in the college football NC playoffs. So what will? This:

1. Beat Michigan
2. Beat Ohio State
3. Win the Big Ten

Period, end of argument. If all 3 of the 3 ( and only 3) criteria for on field success of Penn State football are not met in the same season, we will NEVER play for an NC again. That’s it - irrespective of firings, hirings, recruiting, White-outs, facilities, good-looking coeds, whatever. Succeed in meeting the 3 criteria in a season, and we’ve got a good shot. Fail in any one( or, typically for us 2), and we ain’t going to any playoff.

So - whatever machinations or combinations of factors it takes to achieve the needed result in the only 3 metrics that matter for PSU football, all in the same season, is the ticket. Now, Coach Franklin, go do it.
Good thing you posted that because I’m sure Franklin didn’t realize that until now. Thank God you’re here to guide him.

1. Beat Michigan
2. Beat Ohio State
3. Win the Big Ten

thanks for breaking it down for us....who would have thunk it? Did anyone tell James?

Nothing about the game of football is Maddon like. All opponents have HCs, OCs, DCs and talented players. As such, no one coach has the recipe for ice....Monday night a fan base (either Alabama or Ohio State) will be criticizing their coaching staff .....
You’re right, two teams playing for a national championship and their fan bases will still be acting like the coaches forgot how to coach if something goes wrong.

1. Beat Michigan
2. Beat Ohio State
3. Win the Big Ten

Don't you think that is what Franklin is trying to do? I don't know what your point is.

It's obvious to me that CJF has been reading this board all season and realizes we were all right about the crappy offense being run by PSU, and he's doing his best to appease us all.

Now if Pry goes, this post will definitely have legs.
Let's all predict how long it will take for the new OC to be criticized here.....and after how many minutes of the first game it will take until there are demands that he be replaced.

Monday night. Penn State doesn't win the NC. He's been here less than a week, but I think it's fair.

• Haha
Reactions: PearlSUJam
Good thing you posted that because I’m sure Franklin didn’t realize that until now. Thank God you’re here to guide him.
Another agnostic - embrace the 3, and only 3 success metrics for PSU football program’s on-field success. Understand that all football discussions are merely in the weeds, all leading to the 3 success metrics. If we do not accomplish all 3 in a season, no playoff, no NC. Argue about whatever you wish - but PSU football success is about those 3 metrics. Period. I guarantee you we will never see the playoffs without accomplishing all 3. And thus, they are all that matters with regard to on-field performance. Priorities, gentlemen. Those are PSU football’s (on-field). Franklin has yet to achieve them in a season, PSU has yet to make an appearance in the playoffs. It is axiomatic.

1. Beat Michigan
2. Beat Ohio State
3. Win the Big Ten

I think he just tried to?

Reactions: grinagrin
So people shouldn’t express opinions that don’t line up with yours?
No I enjoy the amusement. Otherwise, what would I do for entertainment? New coaches are good....ex coaches and existing coaches are lousy.....unless they leave and go elsewhere, then we want them back. I get it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT