ADVERTISEMENT

Woah - Ciarrocca Done

LOL. Being on the Lions Den for quite a while, I remember many time Phil and other insiders raving on what the offense scheme was doing in practice only to find none of that come game day. Joe in his later years had the propensity to gut the scheme come Friday and we ended up with a dumbed down offense on Saturday.

With KC, Franklin came out and said the offensive scheme we were going to run was a blended of what we were doing and KC's scheme. Obviously the QB run game came over big time from "what we were doing". When KC first came here, he indicated that the QB would run less. That never happened and he changed his tune as we got closer to the season. I expect he got overruled when it came to the QBs running less. Mike Y seems to be a better fit for what Franklin wants to run which includes a big dose of QB run. As far as Franklin calling plays, he has a head set on all the time. If he wants to and I'm sure he does, he can overrule the guys calling the plays. Joe did it, I'm sure Franklin does it.
I think he ran the QB more than he wanted to because we lost three backs in a week and only had true freshmen backs.

Another agnostic - embrace the 3, and only 3 success metrics for PSU football program’s on-field success. Understand that all football discussions are merely in the weeds, all leading to the 3 success metrics. If we do not accomplish all 3 in a season, no playoff, no NC. Argue about whatever you wish - but PSU football success is about those 3 metrics. Period. I guarantee you we will never see the playoffs without accomplishing all 3. And thus, they are all that matters with regard to on-field performance. Priorities, gentlemen. Those are PSU football’s (on-field). Franklin has yet to achieve them in a season, PSU has yet to make an appearance in the playoffs. It is axiomatic.
Thanks for clarifying. Your previous post was too complex to understand

I know we were a little hard hit in the RB department this year, but it seemed to me most of our running game was centered around QB runs. They may have been good runners, but you need diversity. Everybody knew on 3rd or 4th and short when Levis came in he was going to run with the ball. You may be able to get away with that once or twice, but you go to the well too often, the well is going to run dry.

Last edited:
Couple of those coaches left on their own but the repeated firing of assistants isn't what you would expect from an upper end HC. It does make you wonder if Franklin really does a good job assessing his coaching hire. Average life expectancy of an OC under Franklin is less than 2 years. Not really good especially considering the product we have been putting on the field. DC and OC are you two biggest hires and Franklin can't seem to get he offensive side right.
I remember when we used to credit our success to the longevity & stability of the coaching staff.

Me think this is a major factor. I didn’t see Ciarrocca as a guy who was going to attract an elite QB. I think better chance with Yurcich

Texas at one point had the #1 HS QB committed to them for '22 didn't they (Quinn Ewers)? He's an OSU verbal for now; wonder if Day kicks the tires on the NFL if Yurcich is able to get back in the door...

The only way Pry will leave PSU is if he gets offered a Head Coaching gig! Franklin and Pry are too closed for Franklin ever to fire Pry.

I didn't ask if you would consider him. Again, Franklin is apparently trying to be ELITE and get ELITE coaching here. WOuld franklin be in your top 100? He was a pretty average OC at Maryland right?
Great talent makes great coaching......you have to be pretty simple to think Ryan Day is a coaching genius with the offensive talent at Pitt. Franklin built a career on success at every stop in his coaching career. His demonstrated accomplishment as an assistant coach presented him with an opportunity to be a HC....He took that opportunity at a place NO ONE has prospered at and produced unprecedented results. Was he a "figurehead" at Vandy? To assume he couldn't be an OC is just foolish.

Texas at one point had the #1 HS QB committed to them for '22 didn't they (Quinn Ewers)? He's an OSU verbal for now; wonder if Day kicks the tires on the NFL if Yurcich is able to get back in the door...

Day is not going to leave OSU for the NFL. End of story!

Great talent makes great coaching......you have to be pretty simple to think Ryan Day is a coaching genius with the offensive talent at Pitt. Franklin built a career on success at every stop in his coaching career. His demonstrated accomplishment as an assistant coach presented him with an opportunity to be a HC....He took that opportunity at a place NO ONE has prospered at and produced unprecedented results. Was he a "figurehead" at Vandy? To assume he couldn't be an OC is just foolish.

Cool story. I would not hire him as an OC at Penn State, fortunately for me, he is our HC.

“Penn State went 4-5 in 2020 while averaging 430.3 yards per game on offense, which was second in the Big Ten to Ohio State. The Nittany Lions' offense had 32 total touchdowns in nine games, which was also second in the conference.”

The average person reading this might be dumbfounded by the firing of Ciarrocca. My guess, as a real know-nothing, is a personality clash between Franklin and Ciarrocca, bad chemistry between Ciarrocca and the players, and/or the notion that Franklin wanted to hire Yurcich before Ciarrocca. I suppose it’s possible that Franklin made the move due to red-zone issues and turnovers, but I don’t think you fire a coach over these issues after just one season, and a COVID. o_O season at that.

Thanks for clarifying. Your previous post was too complex to understand
I’ve never read nor heard anyone in the program, nor on this board to my memory (which admittedly may be faulty - I am getting on in years) distill all of the variables of PSU football into the Essence of the only success metrics. So, mock the simplicity, rage that it is stating the obvious, smirk at the supposed lack of nuance - but it had not been articulated before. So, I’ll repeat for those who went to WVU: there are 3, and only 3 success metrics for Penn State football’s on-field performance:

1. beat UM
2. beat O$U
3. win the Big Ten

accomplish this in a season - good chance at playing for an NC; don’t - no shot of doing so.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
I don't know, how many play cards or sheets did you see with him on the sidelines? I can't remember any until the Illinois game. 🤷‍♂️
From my view at home, I miss NEU, he let KC handle it. Hell I didn't even see him on the headset too often.
He always wears a headset and has been carrying a play card since Moorhead was at PSU. At one point, he was wearing it like I use to do as a playcaller. If he gets out of the offense, he can focus more on managing the game.

Now, not to temper excitement here, but if this guy is so good wouldn't Herman have not been fired? Was Texas's failures strictly on the Defensive side for someone who knows?
Similar thoughts to mine. From what I've seen they don't really play defense in the Big 12. Not being able to outscore 80-90 percent of those defenses with Texas talent is concerning.

Well it does seem like the guys who have coached do disagree with the ones who haven’t, so who to believe? That’s a tough one.
Well actually it is. Coaching high school football or other lower endeavors doesn’t automatically make one an expert on major college football coaching. It does provide an insight that people who haven’t coached don’t have, but at times that insight maybe flawed or overly protective. I’ve heard odd and in accurate comments from both sides here on coaching issues. Well at least there odd and inaccurate from my point of view, for which I imagine if I commented on them some people would immediately find fault.

The one consistency is that no matter what you say the other side will ridicule it out of a belief that they know more than the other guy. When if truth be told, I don’t know of anyone on this board that actually has been a head coach at a major college football program. And even if we had one, his views would at times be questioned, because why in the hell would he be hanging out here instead of actually coaching somewhere.

Reactions: pkg5002 and ftlpsu
He always wears a headset and has been carrying a play card since Moorhead was at PSU. At one point, he was wearing it like I use to do as a playcaller. If he gets out of the offense, he can focus more on managing the game.

I've seen him flipping the head set up and down but didn't see him with any play sheets, this year, until Illinois.

Reactions: HazletonLion
I’ve never read nor heard anyone in the program, nor on this board to my memory (which admittedly may be faulty - I am getting on in years) distill all of the variables of PSU football into the Essence of the only success metrics. So, mock the simplicity, rage that it is stating the obvious, smirk at the supposed lack of nuance - but it had not been articulated before. So, I’ll repeat for those who went to WVU: there are 3, and only 3 success metrics for Penn State football’s on-field performance:

1. beat UM
2. beat O$U
3. win the Big Ten

accomplish this in a season - good chance at playing for an NC; don’t - no shot of doing so.
I'm holding my breath......

Best description of the so called fans here: One of the best and most enjoyable retorts from one of my coaches to a pain in the ass, helicopter parent after the last home game of a season........The father's son....a fine kid and good athlete had started every game since his freshman year. On senior night, a tradition was to start 5 seniors and allow them to play a few minutes together. We had 6 seniors and the coach asked this young man to allow the other 5 to start and he would of course play as many minutes as he always did. Dad was irate that his son who had started about 60 consecutive games would give a few minutes in a symbolic gesture to a team mate who was a senior reserve. Dad confronted the coach....after the game in the hallway. After listening to Dad, the coach retorted...".Mr. G.....you wouldn't be happy unless your son started every game. played every minute, passed the ball only to himself and took every shot in the game." I think of that moment often when I read posts here.
I believe that’s an admirable response in that situation. However it’s also highlights the difference between high school and major college football. Tell that story to a bunch of wealthy donors at a banquet who lay out big bucks and whose only interest is winning, and you’re ass is probably fired before the rubber chicken is served.

Most of the QB runs in this offense are the decision of QB.
There was wide spread criticism here for our short yardage situation failures. A package (in reality a wildcat) with Levis as the battering ram had great success. It wasn't welcomed here because 1. the QB wasn't under center 2. some decided that these were quarterback runs..... you can't make this shit up.

Reactions: Nittany_93
I believe that’s an admirable response in that situation. However it’s also highlights the difference between high school and major college football. Tell that story to a bunch of wealthy donors at a banquet who lay out big bucks and whose only interest is winning, and you’re ass is probably fired before the rubber chicken is served.
But appropriate for the crowd here.....which I believe is where I shared it.

This move lowers my opinion of CJF even more. Maybe the new OC will last more than one season, or even maybe less than one. Hopefully he is a QB miracle worker because Penn State’s QB room has not been much of late. The product put on the field this past season was subpar, and that does not relate to the talent level, because it certainly was not horrible like the dark years.

Defense, player attitude and overall team preparedness were also lacking, some of which lies with the head honcho. Does the new hire excite me - no. Is it an upgrade? I don’t think last season was any indicator of what the OC’s offense really was because there was not the opportunity to fully instal the offense. I am taking a wait and see attitude before I anoint the new hire as the second coming. I wonder if there was some strife between CJF and the OC, which led to his ouster.

The defense still needs to be fixed.

Reactions: RickinDayton
This move lowers my opinion of CJF even more. Maybe the new OC will last more than one season, or even maybe less than one. Hopefully he is a QB miracle worker because Penn State’s QB room has not been much of late. The product put on the field this past season was subpar, and that does not relate to the talent level, because it certainly was not horrible like the dark years.

Defense, player attitude and overall team preparedness were also lacking, some of which lies with the head honcho. Does the new hire excite me - no. Is it an upgrade? I don’t think last season was any indicator of what the OC’s offense really was because there was not the opportunity to fully instal the offense. I am taking a wait and see attitude before I anoint the new hire as the second coming. I wonder if there was some strife between CJF and the OC, which led to his ouster.

Stay tuned if you don't like what you've seen. Check out the schedule for next year.

So many clueless people on this board. Let me guess, you're a Joebot?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT