ADVERTISEMENT

WNO (Who's Number One), the Latest

For those that may not know, Nick is living in State College while brother Joe is still in Indiana. [...] I admire the young man...takes commitment to leave home a year early, and deal with all aspects of being away from family. [...]
Yeah. Leaving home is already hard, but going to a place without fellow pre-freshmen in your same year has got to be really hard. Will you find enough friends? A kid has to really know himself to estimate whether he could handle the potential, unfamiliar loneliness.

Making new friends in a new place can often be helped by finding a group to join.

I don't know a better group to join than the Penn State Wrestling Team. : )

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
Making new friends in a new place can often be an issue with finding a group to join.

I don't know a better group to join than the Penn State Wrestling Team. : )
I was thinking same thing.
It is hard enough to be a freshman, but to go someplace without some sort of connection to friends makes it even harder. As part of the Penn State wrestling community Nick should have a built in social network to help with transition.

Reactions: diggerpup
you know he does. the rest of the team is looking out for him... can't imagine otherwise...

I was thinking same thing.
It is hard enough to be a freshman, but to go someplace without some sort of connection to friends makes it even harder. As part of the Penn State wrestling community Nick should have a built in social network to help with transition.

Reactions: diggerpup
Agree with all of this. Sounds to me the plan is for Nick to go immediately. That being the case, his training at the NLWC will have him college ready from the start. I'd really see no real advantage of him wrestling out his last hs season, here or anywhere else. As good as he is now and the strides he's made over the summer imo are minuscule right now. I think next year at this time you're going to see a much different wrestler.

Perhaps we'll see Nick at 41 next year.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Not much chance Cortez would be at 141 in 2017-18 season?
I think it's possible. But something interesting to think about is that if Cortez is a 141 next year, could Nick still be the best 141 in the room? Probably sounds crazy to even consider it but I honestly think Nick is that good.

Not much chance Cortez would be at 141 in 2017-18 season?
Kids outgrowing a particular weight is always a possibility. Looking at the kids in the room and the ones we know are coming I would guess right now the plan is Suriano @ 125 and Cortez @ 133 for the next 2 seasons, with Gulibon this season and Nick Lee next season @ 141.

Just guessing based on information readily available. Second guess based on track record, talented tenacious kid enters penn state wrestling room for a year and then appears in lineup and just pounds on people.

Reactions: royboy
Kids outgrowing a particular weight is always a possibility. Looking at the kids in the room and the ones we know are coming I would guess right now the plan is Suriano @ 125 and Cortez @ 133 for the next 2 seasons, with Gulibon this season and Nick Lee next season @ 141.

Just guessing based on information readily available. Second guess based on track record, talented tenacious kid enters penn state wrestling room for a year and then appears in lineup and just pounds on people.
Gotcha and I wouldn't hold you to it if these projections aren't quite right. There is nothing definitive about weight class projections for future seasons.

I appreciate the info; the main reason I asked was not so much about Nick Lee, as about Cortez. Don't know much about Cortez other than a brief bio sketch and trying to get a feel for how he'll fit in this year and beyond.

If he is a 141 pounder (has not outgrown the weight) he will almost certainly be the best 141 pounder on the team.
Wait! You mean we should cancel the statue of Kade Moss? Half this board seemed pretty sure we'd need one.

Wait! You mean we should cancel the statue of Kade Moss? Half this board seemed pretty sure we'd need one.
You're acting like a clown. The only thing this board did was dispute your assertion that Moss was incapable of winning a single match at 2018 nationals if he's the starter.

Reactions: Ja1339
You're acting like a clown. The only thing this board did was dispute your assertion that Moss was incapable of winning a single match at 2018 nationals if he's the starter.
Someone needs a hug.
hqdefault.jpg

There are over 30 people from Malvern Prep's HS and club program, including his coaches, that are making the short drive North to support Michael Beard. We're looking forward to it, Willie.

bump

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT