ADVERTISEMENT

Will Stoll Injury Default at BIG 10 Tournament?

chrisrn1965

Nov 13, 2011
Since Stoll is apparently not planning on wrestling any ranked opponent during dual meets I am wondering how they plan to handle BIG 10's. I believe that he has to take the mat to qualify for nationals. Will they have him wrestle his first round and then default when he gets to someone like Cassar, Stevenson, or another ranked wrestler?

Since Stoll is apparently not planning on wrestling any ranked opponent during dual meets I am wondering how they plan to handle BIG 10's. I believe that he has to take the mat to qualify for nationals. Will they have him wrestle his first round and then default when he gets to someone like Cassar, Stevenson, or another ranked wrestler?
why are would we be obsessed with this, the guy is obviously hurt and given that he has wrestled through only one NCAA tournament in three attempts it isn't looking good for him. This is really unfortunate that he has dealt with the number of injuries he has had.

It really just depends how he does against Deuce tomorrow. People are saying if he wins there then he will probably go full bore at the B1G tournament in order to keep himself in the running for the Hodge. Can’t confirm of course, but people are saying.

why are would we be obsessed with this, the guy is obviously hurt and given that he has wrestled through only one NCAA tournament in three attempts it isn't looking good for him. This is really unfortunate that he has dealt with the number of injuries he has had.
Yeah.
I'll pitch in if you want to send him a fruit basket.

It really just depends how he does against Deuce tomorrow. People are saying if he wins there then he will probably go full bore at the B1G tournament in order to keep himself in the running for the Hodge. Can’t confirm of course, but people are saying.
What if Rachal beats himself?

He won’t have enough matches to get a wild card. He will have to wrestle and earn his ncaa berth at BIGs.

Reactions: Lyons212

Note to self: Don't shoot yourself in the leg. My heart bleeds.

He won’t have enough matches to get a wild card. He will have to wrestle and earn his ncaa berth at BIGs.
That's not true. There is a path to get to NCAA's and not earn it at Big Ten's. Btw, sure you know, but it's no longer a wild card (that system is gone), it's now at-large selection.

Below are the criteria for Bronze Standard, the only criteria used AFTER the conference's qualifying tournaments. ONLY TWO ARE REQUIRED to get on the list and be stack ranked against other Bronze Standard wrestlers.

Stoll will have a Coaches Ranking (5 bouts required), surely won't have an RPI (17 required), but MAY HAVE a Win % (8 bouts required, INCLUDING any wrestled at Big Ten's). It looks like he may or may not wrestle against a wrestler that earned an auto-qualifier spot for their conference, but he could finish the B1G's one spot below autoqualification.

Remember, only two are required, so right now, there's several paths this could go...and one is still at-large, if it comes down to that.

●● .700 Win %
●● Top 33 RPI
●● Top 33 CR
●● .700 winning percentage against all competition
●● One win against a wrestler receiving automatic qualification via an earned position (preallocated)
●● Qualifying event placement one below automatic qualification

I fully expect them to do what they did with Kemerer (and we did with Nolf) last year.

Wrestle enough to secure a spot at Nationals and then MFF out.

I fully expect them to do what they did with Kemerer (and we did with Nolf) last year.

Wrestle enough to secure a spot at Nationals and then MFF out.
I fully expect that is what they are going to try to do... might not be that easy. Nolf comparison doesnt really work - all he had to do was walk on the mat at BIGs last year to qualify for NCAAs as he had hit all the other standards. Stoll will have to "steal" a spot from another wrestler who earned one for the conference (meaning he will have to beat someone who is roughly in the Top 30 in the country, and maybe more than 1).

I fully expect that is what they are going to try to do... might not be that easy. Nolf comparison doesnt really work - all he had to do was walk on the mat at BIGs last year to qualify for NCAAs as he had hit all the other standards. Stoll will have to "steal" a spot from another wrestler who earned one for the conference (meaning he will have to beat someone who is roughly in the Top 30 in the country, and maybe more than 1).

Right. He'll wrestle as many matches as he needs to in order to secure one of the automatic bids, and not any more.

Whether he is able to win the matches he needs to remains to be seen (and will depend heavily on his draw), but based on how they've wrestled him so far this year, I completely expect Stoll to MFF out if he reaches the semis.

Reactions: andegre
He should be a 9 seed at nationals. He'd have to go through an 8 and a 1 to get to the semis. Anything higher is rewarding him for a steady and small diet of cupcakes all season.
Match him against Steveson in the quarters regardless of Steveson's seed.

That's where Jason and Kemerer were bracketed.

Right. He'll wrestle as many matches as he needs to in order to secure one of the automatic bids, and not any more.

Whether he is able to win the matches he needs to remains to be seen (and will depend heavily on his draw), but based on how they've wrestled him so far this year, I completely expect Stoll to MFF out if he reaches the semis.
If you look at the Iowa schedule, they only have two more duals (Illinois (tonight) and Indiana on 2/15) where the 285 is considered weak. All their other opponents have above average to very good heavies. With Stoll being 4-0 now, looks like he will need more than 2 matches to qualify for a wild card if he MFFs with minimum matches at B1G's.

If you look at the Iowa schedule, they only have two more duals (Illinois (tonight) and Indiana on 2/15) where the 285 is considered weak. All their other opponents have above average to very good heavies. With Stoll being 4-0 now, looks like he will need more than 2 matches to qualify for a wild card if he MFFs with minimum matches at B1G's.

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the possibility of him claiming an at-large is more-or-less zero (based on number of matches wrestled).

I'm operating under the assumption that Stoll only goes to NCAAs if he places high enough at B1Gs to claim an automatic spot.

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the possibility of him claiming an at-large is more-or-less zero (based on number of matches wrestled).

I'm operating under the assumption that Stoll only goes to NCAAs if he places high enough at B1Gs to claim an automatic spot.
I agree as of now, always possible that they try to get Stoll a few more matches to have the possibility of a wild card

A less than 100% Stoll will most likely have to defeat a fairly decent heavyweight to earn a semifinals spot.
Big10 Heavies
Stevenson
Cassar
Parris
Hamida
Hillger
Jenson
Jennings
Singletary

Reactions: RoarLions1
That's not true. There is a path to get to NCAA's and not earn it at Big Ten's. Btw, sure you know, but it's no longer a wild card (that system is gone), it's now at-large selection.

Below are the criteria for Bronze Standard, the only criteria used AFTER the conference's qualifying tournaments. ONLY TWO ARE REQUIRED to get on the list and be stack ranked against other Bronze Standard wrestlers.

Stoll will have a Coaches Ranking (5 bouts required), surely won't have an RPI (17 required), but MAY HAVE a Win % (8 bouts required, INCLUDING any wrestled at Big Ten's). It looks like he may or may not wrestle against a wrestler that earned an auto-qualifier spot for their conference, but he could finish the B1G's one spot below autoqualification.

Remember, only two are required, so right now, there's several paths this could go...and one is still at-large, if it comes down to that.

●● .700 Win %
●● Top 33 RPI
●● Top 33 CR
●● .700 winning percentage against all competition
●● One win against a wrestler receiving automatic qualification via an earned position (preallocated)
●● Qualifying event placement one below automatic qualification
Those that think he has no path, using only "matches wrestled" are not correct. We'll see how this plays out, but here's two scenarios that are possible, for those that may not understand the process, both assuming he does NOT auto-qualify during the B1G Tournament...

(1) Stoll has more than 5, but less than 8 matches AFTER Big Ten's are wrapped up. He still has a path, as noted in the above-quoted posting.

(2) Stoll has 8 or more matches AFTER Big Ten's are wrapped up. He WILL be on the list of Bronze Standard wrestlers, and likely will receive an at-large bid.

The only way he is completely and totally without a shot is (1) if he wrestles no more matches during the regular season and fails to win a bout at the Big Ten Tournament, OR (2) he has less than 8 bouts under his belt AFTER the Big Ten tournament AND no good wins against an auto-qualifier and finishes more than one spot from the allocation.

Looks like 285 for the Big Ten could have 9-10 allocation spots. One win guarantees a wrestler top-12. Two wins in the championship bracket guarantees top-6. Two wins (either one in championship and one in wrestlebacks, or two in wrestlebacks, or one bye and one win in wrestlebacks) guarantees top-8.

Reactions: Dogwelder
A less than 100% Stoll will most likely have to defeat a fairly decent heavyweight to earn a semifinals spot.
Big10 Heavies
Steveson
Cassar
Parris
Hamida
Hillger
Jenson
Jennings
Singletary
Very true, but he can still earn an NCAA spot without beating any of them.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Big10 Heavies
Stevenson
Cassar
Parris
Hamida
Hillger
Jenson
Jennings
Singletary

Sam Stoll is a good wrestler. Unless he is severely hampered by the knee, I'd say he has a good chance of beating everyone on that list outside Stevenson and Cassar.

B1G should get 8 or so automatic spots. I expect Stoll to finish top 8.

Reactions: dbldoofus
Very true, but he can still earn an NCAA spot without beating any of them.
I was responding to a post asking about the possibility Stoll gets to semi-finals and MFFs like Nolf and Kemerer did last year.

As far as Stoll and many paths to NCAA participation, as always I trust your information to be correct.

Sam Stoll is a good wrestler. Unless he is severely hampered by the knee, I'd say he has a good chance of beating everyone on that list outside Stevenson and Cassar.

Making semi-finals and finishing top 8 are not necessarily the same topic.

I was responding to a post asking about the possibility Stoll gets to semi-finals and MFFs like Nolf and Kemerer did last year.

As far as Stoll and many paths to NCAA participation, as always I trust your information to be correct.
I "like"d your post. It is 100% accurate. Just quoted yours in case anyone thought that was the only path.

A healthy Stoll? Maybe. I think it's pretty optimistic to think he could beat any of them with his current state of health. I think Tom Brands feels the same or he wouldn't be running Stoll on the creampuff schedule.

Reactions: danoftw
A healthy Stoll? Maybe. I think it's pretty optimistic to think he could beat any of them with his current state of health. I think Tom Brands feels the same or he wouldn't be running Stoll on the creampuff schedule.

A healthy Stoll is one of the best HWY in the country. He's the highest returning placewinner this year for a reason.

I don't know how healthy he is right now. He looked OK against Rutgers.

Let's be honest here. It's not like he needs to be able to change levels and explode through a double leg. This is Sam Stoll. He needs to be healthy enough to push and pull on a guy, get some stall calls, and a slide-by or two. If he avoids the 2 or 3 guys that even try anything beyond a snatch single, I think he'll be OK.

It really is incredible how relatively little that whole shooting shitshow has been discussed. What the hell exactly happened and how drunk/high were any of the participants/onlookers?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob_Anderson
Depending on the bracket, Stoll might only need to win 1 match at B10s to place Top 8.

Last year Elijah Oliver did just that at 125 -- lost in Round 1, then a consi bye, then won, then lost out to 8th.

If the bracket lined up right, would Brands pull a Tan Tom and have Stoll forfeit his opener for a better consolations draw?

Reactions: nitlion6
Depending on the bracket, Stoll might only need to win 1 match at B10s to place Top 8.

Last year Elijah Oliver did just that at 125 -- lost in Round 1, then a consi bye, then won, then lost out to 8th.

If the bracket lined up right, would Brands pull a Tan Tom and have Stoll forfeit his opener for a better consolations draw?
I believe all will be seeded at 285. If so...he'll have to be a 7, 8, 9, or 10 seed for that to happen. Anything else, he'll need two wins to guarantee top-8. Question is, with limited body-of-work, what will his seed be.

And based on the first coaches rankings the BIG should get 8 spots allocated at 285 with a possible 9th if the Rutgers heavy finishes strong.

Has Colucci become the measuring stick for heavies? The same guy who is currently ranked #57 on WrestleStat and whose signature win is over Cary Miller?

A healthy Stoll is one of the best HWY in the country. He's the highest returning placewinner this year for a reason.

Let's be honest here. It's not like he needs to be able to change levels and explode through a double leg. This is Sam Stoll. He needs to be healthy enough to push and pull on a guy, get some stall calls, and a slide-by or two. If he avoids the 2 or 3 guys that even try anything beyond a snatch single, I think he'll be OK.
Stoll is one of the top 285's or at least was before the injuries. I don't dislike him and hey we all all did stupid crap as kids... well maybe not regarding firearms... I do dislike his style for folk. By the book its stalling but the officials don't enforce the pushout rule as written. I hope he has Greco aspirations as I think he gives Robbie Smith a run.

Art. 5. Neutral Position Stalling. When competing in the neutral position, neither wrestler may cause an unnecessary restart by forcing an out of bounds call by the referee. Each wrestler shall attempt to work toward the center of the mat and continue wrestling in an attempt to secure a takedown, regardless of the time or score of the match. When wrestling is stopped in the neutral position for going out of bounds, one of the following three calls shall be made (see Signal Chart for proper referee signals): a. Stalling by one or both wrestlers for leaving the wrestling area; b. Stalling for pushing or pulling the opponent out of bounds; or c. Wrestling action is taking place.

Has Colucci become the measuring stick for heavies? The same guy who is currently ranked #57 on WrestleStat and whose signature win is over Cary Miller?

No, not at all.

But he did shut him out and he seemed to be moving around OK. I'd say that match shows he's still in the top half of B1G heavies, which is all he needs to qualify for nationals.

Like I said above, we all know how Stoll matches play out - they aren't exactly dynamic, action-packed scramble-fests. If Stoll can look at B1Gs the way he looked in that match, I think he can win 2 matches.

I hope he has Greco aspirations as I think he gives Robbie Smith a run.
Smith is no longer the Greco standard -- but we do need another big guy to keep Coon sharp.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT