ADVERTISEMENT

Why Journalism (and Society) is in a Downward Spiral . . .

What an idiot. What I wouldn't give to be his age again just to get one good shot into his loud mouth.

I loathe few people, but this nincompoop is one of them.
He would not be worth the trouble. Next uniform he wears will be bright orange with "DOC" printed on the front and back.

Reactions: Ban Basketball
So has this board determined if Penn State Willy is a "journalist" or not for breaking the Suriano transfer story.
Any possibility you can have that put on a tee shirt?

Maybe another that reads Minnesota manhandled Maryland Terps 26 - 22. Much in Minnesota wrestling to be impressed by. Celebrate with a T (and a xanax). Just saying.

Reactions: D3wrestler
Figured this was reason enough to dig up this old thread. As I'm scrolling thru the official PSU Wrestling Instagram account this morning, I happen across the most recent post showcasing DT. However, I see that most of the comments are from Iranians and Yazdani supporters, showing their allegiance, and trolling perhaps. Surprised this many Irani's followed the PSU Wrestling Instagram account. Take a look for yourself. Seems like a bunch of sore losers.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
Figured this was reason enough to dig up this old thread. As I'm scrolling thru the official PSU Wrestling Instagram account this morning, I happen across the most recent post showcasing DT. However, I see that most of the comments are from Iranians and Yazdani supporters, showing their allegiance, and trolling perhaps. Surprised this many Irani's followed the PSU Wrestling Instagram account. Take a look for yourself. Seems like a bunch of sore losers.

This isn't a new thing, Yazdani fans have been blowing up DT's Instagram comments for years. Losing to him a third time wasn't going to change that. I think most of it is good natured (the handful of times I've ventured to translate) and actually a sign of respect. Yazdani is a celebrity in Iran in a way Taylor will never be here, so they obsess over the guy who keeps beating him.

This isn't a new thing, Yazdani fans have been blowing up DT's Instagram comments for years. Losing to him a third time wasn't going to change that. I think most of it is good natured (the handful of times I've ventured to translate) and actually a sign of respect. Yazdani is a celebrity in Iran in a way Taylor will never be here, so they obsess over the guy who keeps beating him.
I've actually seen posts after the Olympics that say, "Next time will be different."

Surprised this many Irani's followed the PSU Wrestling Instagram account. Take a look for yourself. Seems like a bunch of sore losers.

They sound a lot like Iowa fans.

They (like Iowa fans) live in a dangerous place.
...they both begin with "I"...
giphy.gif

I think Yazdani's celebrity status might have adversely affected him in that gold medal match. He had already lost twice to David, and I am sure he was under immense pressure to go out there and show all his fellow Iranians that those two earlier losses were just outliers.. This is from a post of mine in another thread: "I imagine being the face of Iranian wrestling in such a wrestling-crazy nation carries many burdens with it. I believe the opposite was true for David. When he entered the wrestling area he was smiling, waving and pumping his fists. He looked like a man was who ready to go out and achieve his lifelong dream. I didn't see any hint of him being nervous."

Take it you're watching the baseball game? I'm guessing that games tonight right? Is it as cheesy as I thought I'd be? I'd turn to it but I have more interest in the meaningless Eagles/Steelers preseason game...
Whatever floats your boat. It's baseball season and I am indeed enjoying the nostalgic game. I tried to get tickets but unfortunately came up short. I needed a bigger slushfund

Whatever floats your boat. It's baseball season and I am indeed enjoying the nostalgic game. I tried to get tickets but unfortunately came up short. I needed a bigger slushfund

Naw...baseball is cool. Just sucks my team seems to always be 50 games below .500 this time of year and a complete joke the way the owner runs things. I'm gonna guess you're a Yankees fan???

Just watched pa win a big game in regional LLWS. Switch over for the field of dreams game which is sooooo cool of a concept. I hope they keep doing it.

Skins are on against Pats. Love this time of year for sports.

Just watched pa win a big game in regional LLWS. Switch over for the field of dreams game which is sooooo cool of a concept. I hope they keep doing it.

Skins are on against Pats. Love this time of year for sports.
Awhile back I was really into the Little league World Series when Lewisberry Pa did well. I coached my sons t ball team when I lived there and some of those boys we played against back then. Then my cousins boy went pretty far into the little league World Series with a team from Virginia. It was neat watching him play on ESPN a few times. One game he made a diving catch to end the game and it made Espns play of the day. He signed to play for Virginia Military Institute. Excited to see how far the game takes him.

Awhile back I was really into the Little league World Series when Lewisberry Pa did well. I coached my sons t ball team when I lived there and some of those boys we played against back then. Then my cousins boy went pretty far into the little league World Series with a team from Virginia. It was neat watching him play on ESPN a few times. One game he made a diving catch to end the game and it made Espns play of the day. He signed to play for Virginia Military Institute. Excited to see how far the game takes him.
I've always liked the LLWS. Made a few day trips there over the years. It is pretty impressive atmosphere.

My hometown team almost made it once. 1 game away. Unfortunately lost the regional final in the famous Danny Almonte fiasco. Shame.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
I've always liked the LLWS. Made a few day trips there over the years. It is pretty impressive atmosphere.

My hometown team almost made it once. 1 game away. Unfortunately lost the regional final in the famous Danny Almonte fiasco. Shame.
That was one helluva State College team.

Reactions: ZepGraffiti
Not a fan of this one being posted …
As a Marine who has been there three times, I'm glad someone is saying it. It isn't that we left, it is the way we left. There are a lot of good people that help the US military that are being slaughtered. Sad to see. We started this, asked them to join us, fight, then we walked away without warning.

As a Marine who has been there three times, I'm glad someone is saying it. It isn't that we left, it is the way we left. There are a lot of good people that help the US military that are being slaughtered. Sad to see. We started this, asked them to join us, fight, then we walked away without warning.
Exactly - and good luck next time if we want locals in any hotspot to help us. If they pay attention, why should they trust us.

Last edited:
Afghanistan was always a no win situation. We lasted longer than the Brits and the Soviets. I don’t know enough about qualified losses in military strategy to have a good opinion on the right way to leave—but it was overdue. It does seem like this particular approach is particularly rocky though.

I don't know that it was without warning. We've been shutting down FOBs since 2012. The US footprint has gradually and publicly been scaled down. This is not a surprise.

The problem is that, quite frankly, we had a lot of people in the higher ranks looking after their evaluations and not actually providing an accurate assessment of the ANA, ANP, and ANSF. I've seen plenty of people paint a rosy picture of organizations that had massive desertion rates and drug use while they lived on co-occupied US-Afghan FOBs. Nothing like finding used heroin needles tossed over the HESCO barriers onto your side when you walk the perimeter.

Reactions: nitlion6
Was not "without warning" as Trump announced in early 2020 that US forces would be removed by May 1,2021. Biden extended it a bit, but, in the grande scheme of things removing the US forces was going to be a no win situation for whomever is in the white house and like always the party in the minority blames the party in the white house, same exact thing happened when we pulled out of Syria.

Exactly - and good luck next time if we want locals in any hotspot to help us. If they pay attention, why should they trust us.

Special Forces*** will do what they usually do: not learn the local culture, not learn the language, receive more funding, and continue to fail.

***The guys responsible for getting foreign internal defense up to snuff.

Special Forces*** will do what they usually do: not learn the local culture, not learn the language, receive more funding, and continue to fail.

***The guys responsible for getting foreign internal defense up to snuff.
Well, not just Special Forces. Rot across the board. For example, 20 yrs apparently not enough time to develop competent intelligence.

Over/under on military + intelligence officials held accountable: 0.5 -- and the under is the safe bet.

BTW, Nick Lee's father served in Afghanistan.

Well, not just Special Forces. Rot across the board. For example, 20 yrs apparently not enough time to develop competent intelligence.

Over/under on military + intelligence officials held accountable: 0.5 -- and the under is the safe bet.

BTW, Nick Lee's father served in Afghanistan.

Great. So did I. I've seen and done some pretty terrible shit.

It's not a matter of intelligence. Everyone in the intel community knew and knows the score.

At the end of the day, the US military is not, has not been set up for nation building.

Reactions: nitlion6
Great. So did I. I've seen and done some pretty terrible shit.

It's not a matter of intelligence. Everyone in the intel community knew and knows the score.

At the end of the day, the US military is not, has not been set up for nation building.
No disagreement on the mission scope.

Strong disagreement on intelligence. Less than a week ago, Kabul wouldn't fall for 90d. Oops.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
We built and trained an army for them. That army allowed this to happen to the country.

We sure as hell aren't going to fix that country. Too many dead soldiers and too much money spent.

For all of those complaining about it and trying to make political points.... IF you really care about the Afghan people, offer them all asylum in the US. This would be the best way to make these peoples lives better. Bring them to the greatest country in the world and welcome them as American citizens.

If you aren't up for that, you are just playing politics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT