ADVERTISEMENT

Lee a former PSU star?

Little J

Sep 17, 2001
Is this a joke or a viscous troll? My money is on crappy journalism: Story by Yashika Dutta • 2d . but so much old news.
Sort of funny though to see it still out there considering all the history.

Reactions: danoftw
What’s the issue? He’s not a psu student anymore.
I thought he went to Iowa?

Confused Friends Tv GIF

Is this a joke or a viscous troll? My money is on crappy journalism: Story by Yashika Dutta • 2d . but so much old news.
Sort of funny though to see it still out there considering all the history.

I believe this is either entirely AI-written or mostly AI-written. The "author" has "written" ten articles in the last two days.

AI may one day have useful applications but so far its been just artless noise.

As a career technologist, I am often alarmed these days by the volume of emerging tech that makes me want to retch. AI is definitely #1 on that list for oh so many reasons.

There are two likely options here.

The first is, as Tikk said, it’s AI.

The second is that sites like Essentially Sports and SportsKeeda hire thousands of freelancers to spam “articles” every day to push those sites up the SEO rankings.

It’s a menace for the rest of us and neither one is a good thing.

There are two likely options here.

The first is, as Tikk said, it’s AI.

The second is that sites like Essentially Sports and SportsKeeda hire thousands of freelancers to spam “articles” every day to push those sites up the SEO rankings.

It’s a menace for the rest of us and neither one is a good thing.
It totally reads like AI--probably these freelancers are just typing prompts in at this point.
Extending from heart-pounding actions to surprising twists, wrestling has never failed to captivate its spectators. Wrestlers across the globe are pouring their hearts and sweat into wrestling to make this year’s Olympics one of a kind.

Not even freshman journalism students write like that.

Reactions: tikk10
It totally reads like AI--probably these freelancers are just typing prompts in at this point.

Was thinking “AI” or “English isn’t my first language but I was hired to write articles.”

Reactions: danoftw
I believe this is either entirely AI-written or mostly AI-written. The "author" has "written" ten articles in the last two days.

AI may one day have useful applications but so far its been just artless noise.

I could write 10 of those in 2 hours.

Almost everyone is a terrible writer regardless of age/education. Even the most decorated academics haven't put in the 1000s of hours required to be decent. The average person can barely piece together a coherent sentence. Unfortunately, I've learned this first hand as an editor.

Almost everyone is a terrible writer regardless of age/education. Even the most decorated academics haven't put in the 1000s of hours required to be decent. The average person can barely piece together a coherent sentence. Unfortunately, I've learned this first hand as an editor.
For sure--but there's terrible human writing, and there's the weird concoctions of words that reads as passable but utterly inhuman that AI is creating these days. It's only a matter of time before it gets better at idioms and whatnot, but for now, I gotta believe this one was AI. If I'm wrong, I'll challenge Cael to a takedown battle.

It's tough to describe because it's still new and evolving but AI-written syntax has a particular feel and this story has it:

Chunks of exposition; generally decent flow from one paragraph to the next; well-worn idioms (e.g., "buzzing with excitement," "green light," "step in his journey," etc.), at least one which is slightly off (e.g., wrestlers "competing to clinch their tickets," "world mat," "clinch a gold medal"); at least one dopey mistake (e.g., the story asserts that "Farrell could not qualify for the Paris as he was injured"); a hyperlink to nowhere (e.g., the article links the phrase "Lee will be making a comeback which may earn him an opportunity to show up in the highest sporting arena in the world" to a story (also "by" Dutta) about Illinois beating SIEU last week, a story that references neither comebacks nor Lee); a glaring, 1000-watt factual error (Spencer Lee, "Penn State star"); and a general feeling that something is just off.

AI articles are "well written" in some superficial respects, which makes sense because AI is merely the regurgitation of well-written things elsewhere, so you won't see student-ish mistakes like sentences ending in prepositions, dangling modifiers, etc. Where AI tips its hand is in the facts of the story, which can feel randomly generated, like mad-libs, and the weird misuse of idioms.

It's tough to describe because it's still new and evolving but AI-written syntax has a particular feel and this story has it:

Chunks of exposition; generally decent flow from one paragraph to the next; well-worn idioms (e.g., "buzzing with excitement," "green light," "step in his journey," etc.), at least one which is slightly off (e.g., wrestlers "competing to clinch their tickets," "world mat," "clinch a gold medal"); at least one dopey mistake (e.g., the story asserts that "Farrell could not qualify for the Paris as he was injured"); a hyperlink to nowhere (e.g., the article links the phrase "Lee will be making a comeback which may earn him an opportunity to show up in the highest sporting arena in the world" to a story (also "by" Dutta) about Illinois beating SIEU last week, a story that references neither comebacks nor Lee); a glaring, 1000-watt factual error (Spencer Lee, "Penn State star"); and a general feeling that something is just off.

AI articles are "well written" in some superficial respects, which makes sense because AI is merely the regurgitation of well-written things elsewhere, so you won't see student-ish mistakes like sentences ending in prepositions, dangling modifiers, etc. Where AI tips its hand is in the facts of the story, which can feel randomly generated, like mad-libs, and the weird misuse of idioms.
You're spot on. I imagine there are many other websites releasing this exact article at the same time.

Last edited:
Was this directed at me?

I think bullshit this is. I'll know have you that ive spent crafting my writing skills years upon years. Btw, not i average...so say myself.

Like, what?

If everyone put in the 1000s of hours would you still have a job?

Writing good ain't everything.

Spencer Lee was a psu student? Man, Cael really does play 3D chess…
Oh! Spencer Lee? I just assumed Nick thinking no one is that stupid and figured the op was mad at how they stated his status lololol!!

My bad carry on, the writer is a moron.

I think bullshit this is. I'll know have you that ive spent crafting my writing skills years upon years. Btw, not i average...so say myself.
It took me three years, about a million words of fiction (working 4 hours every day during those three years) spread out between four books and another 100k words in articles before I became decent enough to make money writing. I've been doing it for seven years and I've gotten very good at specific things, but there are other aspects of writing where I am still barely competent.

@matter7172 can testify as to how grueling this process was.

I'm sure you remember but I cranked out these with minimal effort/editing/time years ago

Last edited:
And the only ones who care are anal retentive weirdo’s

It took me three years, about a million words of fiction (working 4 hours every day during those three years) spread out between four books and another 100k words in articles before I became decent enough to make money writing. I've been doing it for seven years and I've gotten very good at specific things, but there are other aspects of writing where I am still barely competent.

I'm sure you remember but I cranked out these with minimal effort/editing/time years ago

What up, Annieat285! Man, great takery!

I tell my kids all the time that the most useful class I took in college was an Expository Writing class my Soph year. Fantastic, patient & openminded Prof who allowed me to explore my 'voice' but gave me helpful feedback like: "I'm not sure about this 'as' construction you're employing." Didn't pan it outright, but framed it as a question for me to consider. Biggest benefit was the mandatory deadlines for drafts: we had 4 deliveries due for the same paper. Man, so freaking helpful.

I've never made money explicitly for my writing, but my writing has definitely gotten me some jobs in the past, and when I landed in my IT consulting career, I use my improved writing training from then almost every week. It continues to separate me from many of my tech peers who crush me with tech skills, but can't organize a coherent email or task summary in a Jira ticket.

Lastly, I've always wanted an Editor. Free, part-time sports blogging doesn't really lend itself to the practice, but we're assembling an expanded team at BSD this winter, and I'm hopeful we can co-edit for each other some more.

p.s., I loved both of those Nickal & Cassar articles--hope to see more whenever you've got a chance!

If I remember correctly you had a few good videos too.

What up, Annieat285! Man, great takery!

I tell my kids all the time that the most useful class I took in college was an Expository Writing class my Soph year. Fantastic, patient & openminded Prof who allowed me to explore my 'voice' but gave me helpful feedback like: "I'm not sure about this 'as' construction you're employing." Didn't pan it outright, but framed it as a question for me to consider. Biggest benefit was the mandatory deadlines for drafts: we had 4 deliveries due for the same paper. Man, so freaking helpful.

I've never made money explicitly for my writing, but my writing has definitely gotten me some jobs in the past, and when I landed in my IT consulting career, I use my improved writing training from then almost every week. It continues to separate me from many of my tech peers who crush me with tech skills, but can't organize a coherent email or task summary in a Jira ticket.

Lastly, I've always wanted an Editor. Free, part-time sports blogging doesn't really lend itself to the practice, but we're assembling an expanded team at BSD this winter, and I'm hopeful we can co-edit for each other some more.

p.s., I loved both of those Nickal & Cassar articles--hope to see more whenever you've got a chance!

I'm glad things came full circle like that.

If you haven't completed the expanded team, I'm very interested. I always wanted to do wrestling coverage in some capacity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT