ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

I travel fast in the slow lane bud. Hashtags are for kids. Come on now!
I give that +/-5. you puff yourself thats probably worth 2 but Ill give you a 3 (kind of like signing your name on the SAT gets you 400pts), you demean me worth 1 (just not original nor effective) and you did it under 4 sentences/thoughts worth 1 point.

I probably could give a point for the use of the word bud. a really underutilized word on the intranet.

good job bud, but your long way from pulling at superman's cape

I give that +/-5. you puff yourself thats probably worth 2 but Ill give you a 3 (kind of like signing your name on the SAT gets you 400pts), you demean me worth 1 (just not original nor effective) and you did it under 4 sentences/thoughts worth 1 point.

I probably could give a point for the use of the word bud. a really underutilized word on the intranet.

I think he deserves an extra point for background. You have to remember where he comes from. Not exactly a training ground for rapier wit.

We need to encourage, not discourage with our own little HR affirmative action program.

I've been calling everyone Bud lately. Not sure why?! Im a happy guy I guess.

I do know not to piss into the wind..

don't forget that he is now sleep deprived
I'm actually getting good sleep since momma is breast feeding. Feel sorry for her!

I've been calling everyone Bud lately. Not sure why?! Im a happy guy I guess.

I do know not to piss into the wind..

I'm actually getting good sleep since momma is breast feeding. Feel sorry for her!
Only "a friend will tell you you're just pissing in the wind'.... according to Neil Young (think it was ambulance blues from the Zuma LP)

Reactions: jtothemfp
The parameters are pretty clear, and so is the #1--the match goes today? Cael even admited to Track that he'd need a few months to get in shape before facing DT. Still--I'd pay $100 to attend this in a hearbeat.

Last edited:
i'm having trouble wrapping my mind around donating money to fund scholarships. maybe i'm just being stupid because it's friday afternoon but the cash flows aren't making sense to me.

so if a school provides an athletic scholarship, they don't give money to the student who then gives it back to the school, right? the school just accepts less money to enroll the student? student pays $0 instead of $40 to attend the school if he has a full ride.

in essence the only cost to the school is the marginal increase in variable costs from having another student attend. maybe they need another professor, maybe the dorm washing machine breaks sooner and needs to be replaced, that sort of thing. the only way i could see that costing a material amount of money is if the school has to turn away another prospective (paying) student, which just seems unlikely in practice.

i think what i'm trying to say ask is: where would that 500K donation for be going, other than into a fund to gather interest? i mean, if the school wanted to, couldn't they just say tuition is 40K/year, 9.9 scholarships per year, that's 396K per year, the donation pays for 1.26 years of wrestling scholarships then it's in the school's account anyway.

i'm having trouble wrapping my mind around donating money to fund scholarships. maybe i'm just being stupid because it's friday afternoon but the cash flows aren't making sense to me.

so if a school provides an athletic scholarship, they don't give money to the student who then gives it back to the school, right? the school just accepts less money to enroll the student? student pays $0 instead of $40 to attend the school if he has a full ride.

in essence the only cost to the school is the marginal increase in variable costs from having another student attend. maybe they need another professor, maybe the dorm washing machine breaks sooner and needs to be replaced, that sort of thing. the only way i could see that costing a material amount of money is if the school has to turn away another prospective (paying) student, which just seems unlikely in practice.

i think what i'm trying to say ask is: where would that 500K donation for be going, other than into a fund to gather interest? i mean, if the school wanted to, couldn't they just say tuition is 40K/year, 9.9 scholarships per year, that's 396K per year, the donation pays for 1.26 years of wrestling scholarships then it's in the school's account anyway.
Speaking as someone whi endowed a scholarship as an alumni chapter officer:

Scholarship donations go into an investment fund operated by the university. Scholarship payments are made from the interest.

It helps reduce the long term dependency on Athletics funding for scholarships, which is good for program viability.

... in essence the only cost to the school is the marginal increase in variable costs from having another student attend. maybe they need another professor, maybe the dorm washing machine breaks sooner and needs to be replaced, that sort of thing. the only way i could see that costing a material amount of money is if the school has to turn away another prospective (paying) student, which just seems unlikely in practice ...

When I check into a hotel room, I say: "the only cost to you is maybe your water bill goes up a tiny bit because I had spicy Indian food and had to use the toilet multiple times, all night long, that sort of thing." However, I can never persuade them to think only about the water bill. They always want to think about the actual room I occupied that takes up square footage that they had paid money to build and to maintain ... ;) Go figure.

Reactions: NJ Lion and psumacw

Not my area but I think your assumption my be wrong, and that it really is the case that the school 'gives money' to the student in the form of a scholarship, which money is then given back to the school. In practice the student doesn't see money pass through his bank account, but for various reasons, e.g., tax and basic accounting principles, on both the school and student side, there's a thing of value (the scholarship) that must be accounted for, and if it's below the line it's not really being counted.

Your scenario imagines tuition as a variable, and I believe there are good reasons that tuition is instead fixed on the ledger sheet, because tuition probably factors into things like state benefits, taxes, teachers pay, etc.

I spent a few years as a senior administrator at a large well endowed university. Here is a primer on how internal financial protocols are administered AT THAT SCHOOL. It’s important to know University Bylaws tend to govern this at each school. I would imagine there are best practices which most schools follow.

I’m going to use the name Zain as an example just so there is a name attached and I liked watching him turn people.

All money goes into one place and is dispersed to individual departments. So, the art department gets its share of the total revenue, physics, etc. so Zain is on a full ride. 1/2 athletics, 1/2 scholastic. His tuition dollars are allocated to the business school. The business school gets $40k per student. The money that the business school is entitled to from central administration comes from zains scholarship. Zain got good grades so $20k comes from the “banjo says you got good grades scholarship fund” to central administration. Central then sends that $20k to the business school for the business school to use as it sees fit. Zains athletic scholarship is funded by the athletics department so they give that to central who gives it to the business school.

Schools are limited in capacity, so Zain does take a potentially paying students spot. You can’t overpopulate the school, and you can’t run out of housing beds, etc. it’s not costing the school any money from anywhere else because each school (business, law, etc) pays money to a facilities department. So of zains $40k, the business school spends $10k on professors. $10k on admin, $10k to central for things like washing machines at dorms and puts $10k into a cash operating fund (random example. Don’t read into the allocations).

As far as donations go, most universitys require (per by laws) that donations be very clearly defined in use. I once had the dean of the architure school badge into my office asking why a new building was being built without her getting space. I explained the donor was clear the money was to build a new engineering dept building and for that use only. My hands were tied.

I’m happy to answer more questions or expand on this if you found this helpful.

I spent a few years as a senior administrator at a large well endowed university. Here is a primer on how internal financial protocols are administered AT THAT SCHOOL. It’s important to know University Bylaws tend to govern this at each school. I would imagine there are best practices which most schools follow.

I’m going to use the name Zain as an example just so there is a name attached and I liked watching him turn people.

All money goes into one place and is dispersed to individual departments. So, the art department gets its share of the total revenue, physics, etc. so Zain is on a full ride. 1/2 athletics, 1/2 scholastic. His tuition dollars are allocated to the business school. The business school gets $40k per student. The money that the business school is entitled to from central administration comes from zains scholarship. Zain got good grades so $20k comes from the “banjo says you got good grades scholarship fund” to central administration. Central then sends that $20k to the business school for the business school to use as it sees fit. Zains athletic scholarship is funded by the athletics department so they give that to central who gives it to the business school.

Schools are limited in capacity, so Zain does take a potentially paying students spot. You can’t overpopulate the school, and you can’t run out of housing beds, etc. it’s not costing the school any money from anywhere else because each school (business, law, etc) pays money to a facilities department. So of zains $40k, the business school spends $10k on professors. $10k on admin, $10k to central for things like washing machines at dorms and puts $10k into a cash operating fund (random example. Don’t read into the allocations).

As far as donations go, most universitys require (per by laws) that donations be very clearly defined in use. I once had the dean of the architure school badge into my office asking why a new building was being built without her getting space. I explained the donor was clear the money was to build a new engineering dept building and for that use only. My hands were tied.

I’m happy to answer more questions or expand on this if you found this helpful.

this was very helpful. so for this example, it would be that the 500K goes to the athletics department initially but that it would get depleted fairly quickly if it paid for ALL of the wrestling scholarships (1-2 years)? or could it be stated that this would only pay for 1 out of the 9.9 each year and would gain interest on the remainder, making it last longer (possibly into perpetuity)?

just running some quick math it would take about $5M in the account and 8% return to fully fund ten 40K scholarships for forever.

this was very helpful. so for this example, it would be that the 500K goes to the athletics department initially but that it would get depleted fairly quickly if it paid for ALL of the wrestling scholarships (1-2 years)? or could it be stated that this would only pay for 1 out of the 9.9 each year and would gain interest on the remainder, making it last longer (possibly into perpetuity)?

just running some quick math it would take about $5M in the account and 8% return to fully fund ten 40K scholarships for forever.

Yessir. Or ma’am.

as someone who donated to PSU, I can tell you that while they would like you to donate to a cause that you like. They also would like to have maximum flexibility. There have been cases where the purpose of the donation no longer exists (ie they found the cure for X, the money was to find the cure) Then if the person or their heirs are not around, it takes a court order to try to change the usage of the money. The university doesn't always have much to say in the actual usage. Certainly, you can donate to the general fund and let the university do what it wants, but I don't think a lot of donations go that route.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof

Which entity's cash flow is confusing? Here's additional info that may help, in addition to what E-J and Banjo have provided;

Parent's Cash Flow
-- The only difference between a student-athlete and a non-student athlete is that there is Income from the Athletics-related Financial Aid, i.e. their contribution on the Expense side is less (it's offset by the exact amount of the Financial Aid). I'm talking equivalency sports here, headcount sports are always full-rides for scholarship student-athletes.

The College of Study (Banjo's example)
-- There is no cash flow difference between scholarship student-athlete's and non-student athlete, as far as Income and Expense Amounts
-- In Banjo's example, the INCOME for student-athlete's may come from the athletic department, who gives the money to what he called central administration, then they send the money to the student-athlete's College of Study.
-- May be somewhat different school to school

The Wrestling Program
-- Income consists of ticket sales, contributions, programs/parking/concessions, endowments, and misc.
-- Expenses consist of salaries, recruiting, travel, equipment, game-day expenses, fundraising/marketing, facility rental, meals, and several miscellaneous categories.
-- The "scholarship" Expense is offset, I believe, mostly by the by the contributions "Income", much of it interest, as E-J states.

Without knowing Davidson's model specifically, I'd presume NONE of it goes into Athletics initially. All of it goes into a centrally managed fund with ground rules that it can only be spent on wrestling scholarships up to a certain amount per year. (Amounts do not need to be fixed in perpetuity, could be inflation adjusted or other sliding scale.)

as someone who donated to PSU, I can tell you that while they would like you to donate to a cause that you like. They also would like to have maximum flexibility. There have been cases where the purpose of the donation no longer exists (ie they found the cure for X, the money was to find the cure) Then if the person or their heirs are not around, it takes a court order to try to change the usage of the money. The university doesn't always have much to say in the actual usage. Certainly, you can donate to the general fund and let the university do what it wants, but I don't think a lot of donations go that route.

You have to remember that money is fungible. Unless they actually put the money in different bank accounts (and IMHO the chances of that are zero) they can use the money wherever they want. The accounting for it is done strictly on paper.

Reactions: dbldoofus
You have to remember that money is fungible. Unless they actually put the money in different bank accounts (and IMHO the chances of that are zero) they can use the money wherever they want. The accounting for it is done strictly on paper.

They can’t use the money wherever they want. It’s a gross violation of most university by laws. Moreover, if money is allocated for something and used elsewhere, it’s a PR nightmare and could put not for profit status in jeopardy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT