ADVERTISEMENT

Why are Iowa homers still posting here

You scored 20 points by getting the ball, over and over again, at midfield.

You got the ball repeatedly at midfield because of a rooking QB playing his first meaningful game and constantly having have our punter punt out of the endzone.

Had Clifford stayed in the game and PSU didn't score more than 20, I like PSU's odds to get a few first downs and pin Iowa back inside its own 20. Iowa managed 23 when playing on half a field.
You should give Iowa's punter some credit - not many in the country can pin a team inside the 10 as well as him. He did it 6 times Saturday.

Reactions: WildTurk
We also went to Miami, Tennessee, Alabama, Texas, ATM, Notre Dame, Nebraska, USC etc. Places most B10 teams didn't dare to venture.

Slightly irrelevant, no? Were those yearly rivals, or exceptions to the rule? I seriously don't know.

I went to Florida @ Miami in 2013. I know it's not the Orange Bowl any longer, but that stadium environment is the most pathetic I've ever been to, and it isn't even close. I went to a random game at Texas Tech once and even that was much better.

I bet Nebraska was a fun environment though in the 90s, before they moved to an infinitely deeper conference.

You scored 20 points by getting the ball, over and over again, at midfield.

You got the ball repeatedly at midfield because of a rooking QB playing his first meaningful game and constantly having have our punter punt out of the endzone.

Had Clifford stayed in the game and PSU didn't score more than 20, I like PSU's odds to get a few first downs and pin Iowa back inside its own 20. Iowa managed 23 when playing on half a field.
First off I didn't do shit. I just sat on the couch and watched a brawl between two talented teams.

Had Clifford stayed in the game the results could have been different certainly. But he didn't. He got knocked out. We will never know your "alternative" ending and that's the reality of it

You should give Iowa's punter some credit - not many in the country can pin a team inside the 10 as well as him. He did it 6 times Saturday.

You aren't allowed to talk about aspects of the game that aren't sexy and don't make highlight reels.

The only measure of a quality football team is the 1st string QB.

Reactions: WildTurk
You aren't allowed to talk about aspects of the game that aren't sexy and don't make highlight reels.

The only measure of a quality football team is the 1st string QB.

You should feel free to talk about all aspects of Iowa's team and its win over Penn State..on the Iowa board.

Curious where you get your data. Just want to compare and maybe add another source. Mine comes from collegefootballdata.com.

PS. Purdue def also ranks very high in Rush success and pass success. However, equal mismatches for Pur off vs Iowa def. Possible under bet?

Iowa will struggle with Purdue this week. Purdue has athletes. Iowa’s luck will run out.

After yesterday your #2 iowa Hawkeyes now rank nationally as follows in main offensive metrics:

PPA: 119
Success Rate: 114
Standard Downs Success Rate: 119
Rush Success Rate: 103
Pass Success Rate: 113
Explosiveness: 70
Points Per Opportunity: 77
Stuff Rate: 129
Line Yards: 125

Once the turnovers stop, the results will be different. The one thing that yesterday proved in Iowa’s defense is that Spencer Petras is slightly better than Roberson.

You should feel free to talk about all aspects of Iowa's team and its win over Penn State..on the Iowa board.
I see PSU fans all over every Big 10 board including Iowa's. It happens before and after every game - especially big games. If you don't want to deal with or discuss the game with opposing fans - I think you can pay for the premium board. (I'm not excusing trolls - they should be banned. I'm talking about normal football discussion and talk).

I see PSU fans all over every Big 10 board including Iowa's. It happens before and after every game - especially big games. If you don't want to deal with discuss the game with opposing fans - I think you can pay for the premium board. (I'm not excusing trolls - they should be banned. I'm talking about normal football discussion and talk).

I'm sure there are Penn State fans on other boards. Those boards can deal with those Penn State fans however they wish. My post was to a response from one Iowa fan to another Iowa fan complaining about Penn State fans, on a Penn State message board mind you, not wanting to delve deeply into the value of Iowa's punter.

By the way, Penn State's second national championship was won due in large part to the performance of its punter. So many of us Penn State fans are well aware of the importance of the punter. It's just a little off putting to have 2 Iowa fans complaining to each other that Penn State fans don't want to talk about the punter.

You sound like a Mapleleafs or Habs fan. No one gives a f about 20+ years ago, ancient history. Congrats though on your four more recent ones.
Well I'm 36 and have lived through 16 National championships and 22 B10 tournament championships for Iowa.. Not bad I'd say. Could be a lot worse!

Iowa would have won the 2020 national championship aswell if not for Covid. The educated wrestling fans here even know that. Iowa won it this year, and have a great chance to repeat next March.

Do Penn State fans never bring up how sweet it was to win Championships with Paterno? Or is that just ancient history you never talk about or reflect kindly on anymore?

Last edited:
Well I'm 36 and have lived through 16 National championships and 22 B10 tournament championships for Iowa.. Not bad I'd say. Could be a lot worse!

Iowa would have won the 2020 national championship aswell if not for Covid. The educated wrestling fans here even know that. They won it this year, and have a great chance to repeat next March.

Do Penn State fans never bring up how sweet it was to win Championships with Paterno? Or is that just ancient history you never talk about or reflect kindly on anymore?

Many of us Penn State fans reflect often on our program's success under Paterno. IMHO, that's one of the great things about sports, especially college sports, is how the past connects with the present. Sounds like you've witnessed some pretty good wrestling in your days.

I'm sure there are Penn State fans on other boards. Those boards can deal with those Penn State fans however they wish. My post was to a response from one Iowa fan to another Iowa fan complaining about Penn State fans, on a Penn State message board mind you, not wanting to delve deeply into the value of Iowa's punter.

By the way, Penn State's second national championship was won due in large part to the performance of its punter. So many of us Penn State fans are well aware of the importance of the punter. It's just a little off putting to have 2 Iowa fans complaining to each other that Penn State fans don't want to talk about the punter.
It sounds like you can appreciate our "Punting is Winning" t-shirts for Taylor. https://www.raygunsite.com/products/punting-is-winning-kids

By the way - your kicker has an amazing leg. The kickoffs were outstanding. I know there was some wind at his back - but I've never seen anyone put the ball into the North endzone as far as your kicker did more than once.

Reactions: Madsol
Slightly irrelevant, no? Were those yearly rivals, or exceptions to the rule? I seriously don't know.

I went to Florida @ Miami in 2013. I know it's not the Orange Bowl any longer, but that stadium environment is the most pathetic I've ever been to, and it isn't even close. I went to a random game at Texas Tech once and even that was much better.

I bet Nebraska was a fun environment though in the 90s, before they moved to an infinitely deeper conference.
From 1981 to 1992 we had a 12 game home and home with both Alabama and ND. Played both in shorter series before and since. Also played the others i mentioned off and on before and after we joined the B10.

Yes indeed there are several PSU fans that frequent the Iowa board. I like it. It's gives outside perspective even if it's something I don't necessarily want to hear. Such is life.

In all fairness this is a free, anonymous board and the thread topic is about Iowa fans. We are only 2 day days removed from a top 5 showdown on the gridiron.

Not to mention this board goes away in a couple weeks. Might aswell let it rip on the way out to the pay site!

Iowa would have won the 2020 national championship aswell if not for Covid. The educated wrestling fans here even know that. They won it this year, and have a great chance to repeat next March.

Sooo you know for sure Iowa would have won the wrestling Natty in 2020 but for COVID but there is no way to know if PSU would have won Saturday just because we didn't have our starting QB for most of the game - you might want to just go back to the Iowa board to celebrate - still not sure why you are still all over here and if you stay don't get your panties in a bunch if no one here agrees with anything any of you post and expecting anything else seems pretty stupid don't you think?

Sooo you know for sure Iowa would have won the wrestling Natty in 2020 but for COVID but there is no way to know if PSU would have won Saturday just because we didn't have our starting QB for most of the game
Well that is true. I don't know forsure that Iowa would have won the 2020 title. It would have taken a monumental collapse not to win nationals however. Iowa won Big10s with 157.5 pts. PSU was 4th with 107. Unfortunately all the seniors got robbed of a national title chance last year. Unfortunate.
- you might want to just go back to the Iowa board to celebrate - still not sure why you are still all over here and if you stay don't get your panties in a bunch if no one here agrees with anything any of you post and expecting anything else seems pretty stupid don't you think?
That is quite the run-on sentence. My panties are not in a bunch at all. I'm one happy guy! 🍻

First off I didn't do shit. I just sat on the couch and watched a brawl between two talented teams.

Had Clifford stayed in the game the results could have been different certainly. But he didn't. He got knocked out. We will never know your "alternative" ending and that's the reality of it
If you can't change the course of human hstory, and the game result is the result from saturday, why are you even here? What difference does it make at all?

Not to belabor this exercise I would like to know the number of times our esteemed opponent in the Western division (weak) of the Big10 played outside the conference with the big boys of the SEC & Pac 10 plus ND? Either way, your #2 will feel like just that, a big #2 by January. Happy Days as PSU fans dance on the corpse that once was Iowa football and it's many national championships. Sorry guys, I've had enough of this and had to respond.

If you can't change the course of human hstory, and the game result is the result from saturday, why are you even here? What difference does it make at all?
I'm always here. For years I have been. Just mostly on the wrestling board. I'm on the football board because we just had a battle of our two top 5 teams 2 days ago. And there are a bunch of Iowa threads here right now.

And yeah it makes no difference. I'm just enjoying my free sober fun on a rain day off from work

Iowa would have won the 2020 national championship aswell if not for Covid. The educated wrestling fans here even know that. Iowa won it this year, and have a great chance to repeat next March.

2020 didn't happen so no way you can be sure Iowa wins it. Five of your wrestlers could have sustained tournament ending injuries in the first round. Your speculating.

Reactions: AvgUser

Iowa probably would have won in 2020. But I often see Iowa fans saying this, then adding in that they won in 2021 and then feel they will win in 2022. This all may be true- but the only reason the Hawks are in such great shape for this season is BECAUSE of that 2020 Covid delay. Without it, no Spencer, no Kemdog, no Eirman, no Marinelli this year. If the 2020 Nationals would have been held, Iowa would be out of the running in 2022. So you can't claim all three years.

Again. You have no idea what "would've" happened because it didn't, and nothing will ever change the course of written history. Clifford had thrown 2 picks and 25 passes already when he went out early in the game.

Who is to say Cliff wouldn't have thrown more interceptions and/or had some sack fumbles throwing so much? Iowa knew you weren't going to run the ball for many yards right? That's an example of me making excuses for something that never happened.. See how I did that?

Clifford going down certainly affected the game but to say what would've, could've and should've happend is just hearsay.

"What if's" are nothing but excuses.
We do know what did happen, we scored 17 points in just over a quarter with our starting QB and 3 the rest of the game after his injury. Pretty easy to see what happened except to Iowa fans.

Curious where you get your data. Just want to compare and maybe add another source. Mine comes from collegefootballdata.com.

PS. Purdue def also ranks very high in Rush success and pass success. However, equal mismatches for Pur off vs Iowa def. Possible under bet?

I too use collegefootballdata.com, but I'm excluding garbage time. I should have made note.

Last edited:
Supposition is 100% correct. Iowa did score 20 points against a top defense somehow after Clifford went down. Just enough to seal the deal.

Ferentz has never cared about offensive stats. As long as they win by 1 it's all that matters.

Lots of different ways to get there. Chew clock, slow the game down, run "old school" ISO plays with a FB and 2 TE sets. Win field position battles, and have above average special teams all around.

Kirk adheres to the talents of the 2 and 3 star players Iowa specifically recruits. He is a systematic coach who gets a lot out of the players they "develop" in house. It works for the most part even if it's not "sexy"
He may want to find a few more ways to get there because he hasn’t won much of anything for a long time. He has been the tallest midget occasionally, but it ended before he won anything of meaning.

We do know what did happen, we scored 17 points in just over a quarter with our starting QB and 3 the rest of the game after his injury. Pretty easy to see what happened except to Iowa fans.
Yeah you allowed 20 more points and barley lost the game after leading nearly the whole way. It's a team sport not a QB1 only game

I bought tickets late, so SeatGeek sat me right in the middle of the Penn State section along the east grandstand next to the north EZ. About 70 rows up. Great view.

I chatted amiably with PSU fans, while they chatted amiably with the surrounding Hawk fans. Yes, there was some fun trash talking and excessive cheering on both sides, but I wouldn't have it any other way. We all parted on good terms and said our well wishes.

The two young Penn State dudes (college age) in front of me were pretty cocky, but it was fun chatting with them and they were having a blast and couldn't believe how loud the stadium got. Something like 120 decibles, they told me. They said Kinnick is their second fav B10 stadium environment besides Beaver.

tl;dr? The anger and outrage seen on message boards is not representative of real people and real fans. Yea, Iowa fans booed, but so what? Kinnick serves beer, everyone was drunk (including many PSU fans), and we'd seen fakers before, including your own #17.
Your last sentence is what’s wrong with Iowa fans. You have no idea, but by God, you’re convinced.

Any Iowa take other than, “Wow, they were killing us with Clifford. We sure are lucky he got hurt or it would have been ugly.”, is either just complete and utter stupidity or denial.

Reactions: HazletonLion
Just a FYI - Iowa is 9-3 against the East over its last 12 games including wins over OSU, PSU and MSU.
It’s a bit different when you play one decent team from the other division a year….try playing OSU, Michigan, and Michigan State every year often times back to back. Playing within a division is a lot different than playing a few cross over games a year.

He may want to find a few more ways to get there because he hasn’t won much of anything for a long time. He has been the tallest midget occasionally, but it ended before he won anything of meaning.
It's Iowa. We only have 3 million people in the state.. No pro teams. No big slushfunds. 2 and 3 star recruits yearly. I'm thankful and humbled for what we do have. It's enough for me and my expectations personally. Big 10 championships would be great but I'm a realist when it comes to sports, especially the closer I get to 40 trips around the sun.

I'm thankful Iowa isn't like Frost and Nebraska finding ways to consistently lose with 4 star recruits. You can lead a horse to water but...

Yeah you allowed 20 more points and barley lost the game after leading nearly the whole way. It's a team sport not a QB1 only game
Yeah, and baseball is a nine player sport but you ain’t winning without a pitcher. You guys treating the QB like any other position is just more evidence you don’t know much about football. Stick to wrestling, you might know more about that.

Reactions: Grass
Iowa probably would have won in 2020. But I often see Iowa fans saying this, then adding in that they won in 2021 and then feel they will win in 2022. This all may be true- but the only reason the Hawks are in such great shape for this season is BECAUSE of that 2020 Covid delay. Without it, no Spencer, no Kemdog, no Eirman, no Marinelli this year. If the 2020 Nationals would have been held, Iowa would be out of the running in 2022. So you can't claim all three years.
I'm only claiming one this past March.. Hopefully March of 2022 goes Iowa’s way and they get to 25 titles.. I agree 2020 doesn't count since the wrestlers are back this year. Besides the Champs at the B10 tournament, nobody won in 2020 especially those seniors that got robbed at nationals. I still feel for them although I'm sure they have all moved on by now

Reactions: hazeydave
It's Iowa. We only have 3 million people in the state.. No pro teams. No big slushfunds. 2 and 3 star recruits yearly. I'm thankful and humbled for what we do have. It's enough for me and my expectations personally. Big 10 championships would be great but I'm a realist when it comes to sports, especially the closer I get to 40 trips around the sun.

I'm thankful Iowa isn't like Frost and Nebraska finding ways to consistently lose with 4 star recruits. You can lead a horse to water but...
Well one day Ferentz will be gone and you might be Nebraska after that - he gets a lot out of his 2 and 3 stars but I doubt many will be able to duplicate it - I guess you will find out with Ferentz Jr since i bet he will be next in line - not seen that work out very much though.

Yeah, and baseball is a nine player sport but you ain’t winning without a pitcher. You guys treating the QB like any other position is just more evidence you don’t know much about football. Stick to wrestling, you might know more about that.
The QB position is very important. So is having a good running game if your QB2 is not ready for D1 football. The rise and fall of Penn State football is solely on Clifford being in the game?

Well one day Ferentz will be gone and you might be Nebraska after that - he gets a lot out of his 2 and 3 stars but I doubt many will be able to duplicate it - I guess you will find out with Ferentz Jr since i bet he will be next in line - not seen that work out very much though.
Yeah Kirk is certainly close to retirement. I will be sad to see him go. Crazy Iowa has only 2 coaches in 42 years. RIP coach Haden Fry

Seems like some schools get a new head coache every 4-5 years. I would dislike that very much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT