ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the man that fired Reed in Philadelphia

Looks like a bad move
No.

Reed did himself in. He wanted more and more power but did not win the super bowl. He was a good OC, good HC and lousy GM. If he was willing to be coach only, he would still be the çoach. He also needed to distance his kids from the team. His one kid was a heroin attic and the other kid was a drunk who pulled a gun on someone.

Once reed got fired he lost some of that power in kc. Kc also fired his one kid.

No.

Reed did himself in. He wanted more and more power but did not win the super bowl. He was a good OC, good HC and lousy GM. If he was willing to be coach only, he would still be the çoach. He also needed to distance his kids from the team. His one kid was a heroin attic and the other kid was a drunk who pulled a gun on someone.

Once reed got fired he lost some of that power in kc. Kc also fired his one kid.
This is it. Andy’s roster construction was getting quite poor toward the end in Philly. He has worked with some excellent GM’s in KC and it kinda helps he has a generational talent at QB. Reid will go down as one of the best offensive minds in football, but he doesn’t win anything without Mahomes.

Reactions: PSUCYCLING
Eagles have won a Superbowl and barely lost another since Reids firing. The Eagles should have no regrets and Reid though great had run his course in Philadelphia. Both Franchises have Flourished so no it was not a bad move.
And who did the Eagles lose that Super Bowl to? Yeah that’s right.

This just in, maybe the Browns shouldn’t have fired Belichick. The Jets and Pats fired Pete Carroll. Gruden and Dungy also both got fired before winning a Super Bowl elsewhere. Sometimes the coach/organization fit has just run its course.
The Browns really didn't fire Belichick. They were moving from CLE to Baltimore after Baltimore and MD gave Art Modell enough cash to pay for his heirs' taxes if he died suddenly. Belichick was seen as a Modell apologist in CLE as he backed Modell over the city. Modell then decided he wanted a clean slate in Baltimore: team name, colors, etc. Modell had a huge falling out with Paul Brown and had wanted to change the team name for years. Bellicheck was simply the baby in the bath water.

The Browns really didn't fire Belichick. They were moving from CLE to Baltimore after Baltimore and MD gave Art Modell enough cash to pay for his heirs' taxes if he died suddenly. Belichick was seen as a Modell apologist in CLE as he backed Modell over the city. Modell then decided he wanted a clean slate in Baltimore: team name, colors, etc. Modell had a huge falling out with Paul Brown and had wanted to change the team name for years. Bellicheck was simply the baby in the bath water.
Doesn't alter that he was fired--there's always reasons other than simply coaching that get guys run out of town. See Vrabel.

No.

Thank you for a good answer. Looks like a good move for both.

He could have easily kept Bill among the chaos if he thought he was the guy. Instead he hired Ted Marchibrota.

He could have easily kept Bill among the chaos if he thought he was the guy. Instead he hired Ted Marchibrota.
Bill didn't want to stay. He was retained but made a power move to get more say in team operations. When he was told that he wasn't going to get that, they both agreed to move on.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
No.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Wow...lots of people with no idea willing to share their opinion.
Reid's personal life was in shambles due to issues with both his kids. Things were not going well at work because of it. Bottom line, Reid needed a change of scenery and to get his family away from the trouble they found in Philly.
The eagles had the highest win percentage of any team during Reid's tenure. He is loved and respected in Philly, but everyone agrees that his time needed to come to end when it did. KC provided a much needed change of scenery for him and I wish him no ill will.

As for the birds not winning a SB during Reid's time, there can be much debate, but IMHO - and this was talked about regularly at the time - was the Eagles NOT investing at the WR spot. Sorry by Calvin Williams and Fred Barnett(aka FredEx) are not Devonta Smith and AJ Brown. I don't remember for sure, but I believe that was largely Reid's decision. They lost 3 consecutive NFC Champ games, got TO and immediately went to the superbowl, before he went back to be being TO the next year.
McNabb gets trashed, perhaps unfairly. McNabb was good enough to win games a lot of games by 3TDs, but I'm pretty sure, it's accurate to say that in his NFL career, he never engineered a final drive TD drive to win a game (FG, yes, but never a TD). Was this a short coming of McNabb or a lack of credible receiving weapons? Perhaps some of both? If McNabb had receivers, I think he'd have been a first ballot HOF inductee (with 1-3 SB victories).

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Wow...lots of people with no idea willing to share their opinion.
Reid's personal life was in shambles due to issues with both his kids. Things were not going well at work because of it. Bottom line, Reid needed a change of scenery and to get his family away from the trouble they found in Philly.
The eagles had the highest win percentage of any team during Reid's tenure. He is loved and respected in Philly, but everyone agrees that his time needed to come to end when it did. KC provided a much needed change of scenery for him and I wish him no ill will.

As for the birds not winning a SB during Reid's time, there can be much debate, but IMHO - and this was talked about regularly at the time - was the Eagles NOT investing at the WR spot. Sorry by Calvin Williams and Fred Barnett(aka FredEx) are not Devonta Smith and AJ Brown. I don't remember for sure, but I believe that was largely Reid's decision. They lost 3 consecutive NFC Champ games, got TO and immediately went to the superbowl, before he went back to be being TO the next year.
McNabb gets trashed, perhaps unfairly. McNabb was good enough to win games a lot of games by 3TDs, but I'm pretty sure, it's accurate to say that in his NFL career, he never engineered a final drive TD drive to win a game (FG, yes, but never a TD). Was this a short coming of McNabb or a lack of credible receiving weapons? Perhaps some of both? If McNabb had receivers, I think he'd have been a first ballot HOF inductee (with 1-3 SB victories).

Reid does not get a pass on the WR talent when he was basically the GM.

Kordell mcnabb was good enough to win with a great OL, great RB, great defense and great special teams. Weakness was usually the passing game.

It was ironic when the eagles ran TO out of town. That was around the same time the eagles wanted a new contract and stadium from the city. They got it. Andy kotite wanted a new deal. He got it. Kordell mcnabb wanted a new deal. He got. TO was probably the best player on the team that year. He asked for a new deal and eagles, Reid and mcnabb all complained. Mcnabb was jealous of TO.

Reactions: Bob2022
Sherwood Schwartz?

Oh, woops, wrong Reed, and wrong city, I thought you meant Robert Reed and suburban L.A.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT