ADVERTISEMENT

Who noticed that the stands in the Michigan - Villanova game were essentially empty?

I remember when the stands were packed for March Madness.
From what I understand, the crowds were pretty good in Pittsburgh last weekend, and it's going back there soon. However, Pittsburgh never has hosted the Sweet 16 round, which is perplexing because it definitely would attract huge crowds.

As far as other sites, this has been happening for several years now where many of them attract well below capacity crowds for these games.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
I guess few in San Antonio cared about teams from PA and Michigan.
Also, college basketball isn't what it was back in the 80s and 90s when you had the great UNC, Houston, Georgetown, Duke and Michigan teams, and others, that had very well known stars and villains. Today, it's a pretty anonymous sport made up of a bunch of nondescript players for the most part, and most people who aren't connected with a specific school really don't even pay attention to it until the tournament.

I used to live and breathe March Madness. Back then, you knew who the players were because stars were in the programs for a couple of years. Today, I don't know the players at all. In fact, for most of the games, it is simply the blue team versus the red team. As a result, I have little interest.

I used to live and breathe March Madness. Back then, you knew who the players were because stars were in the programs for a couple of years. Today, I don't know the players at all. In fact, for most of the games, it is simply the blue team versus the red team. As a result, I have little interest.
I feel the same way. We have lost something, I'm not sure exactly what.

The stands were quite shocking.

Back in the 1980s and 1990s, some teams even had nicknames, like Phi Slamma Jamma and the Fab 5. You just don't have that anymore with this sport.

Gambling, specifically online gambling and locally organized March Madness pools, is what keep interest in the tournament afloat. Without it there wouldn't be nearly the buzz and it would look more like the women's tournament.

I watched part of the IUP game last night. It was a semifinal for the division 2. I bet that there wasn't 200 people in the place including the players. I think that it was played in Indiana. Seemed very strange and more like a scrimmage that a semifinal.

I started to not care app 30 years ago.

Cost of attendance and how much of a pain it is to travel to these locations, self entitled fans-what’s not to like?

I put it in the category of a lot of other sports events that are primarily TV events. The Super Bowl is a TV event. The average person can't come close to affording to go. I've been to a Sweet 16 game and if you've ever been to a tournament you know as soon as your team is out your interest is shot so you're reselling your tickets (if you're lucky) and bailing.

As for the tournament itself I still enjoy it very much. It's for sure a gambler's holiday but so is just about everything else in sports anymore. It's still ridiculously good competition and plenty of reasons exist to get behind/root against a certain team if you have no emotional investment otherwise.

Those empty seats in the lower level for the first game (I.e. Villanova game) were either Arizona or Houston fans ( both teams are red), and didn’t care to show up to watch two other teams. Introspective thinking.
Back in my youth, I went to the Palestra for games. Doubleheaders. Always rooted for the home team in both games whomever it was. Back then , the local team’s fans in the first game would tend to stay and root for the local team in the second game.

I watched part of the IUP game last night. It was a semifinal for the division 2. I bet that there wasn't 200 people in the place including the players. I think that it was played in Indiana. Seemed very strange and more like a scrimmage that a semifinal.
spring break?

When I first turned it on, I double-checked to make sure it wasn't a BTN replay game from the CoVID-era. Shocking.

I am very into college hoops but something has definitely been lost. Last year's MM was the first MM I wasn't living and breathing. I chalked it up to both the weird times and CoVID weirdness. This year that feeling extended, so it ain't covid...

It was played in Evansville Indiana which is 8.5 hours from both Augusta GA and Indiana PA. How many people do you expect from two small schools? If they had it in a city that might actually be an attraction but I don't think many people have Evansville on their bucket list to visit.

Those empty seats in the lower level for the first game (I.e. Villanova game) were either Arizona or Houston fans ( both teams are red), and didn’t care to show up to watch two other teams. Introspective thinking.
Back in my youth, I went to the Palestra for games. Doubleheaders. Always rooted for the home team in both games whomever it was. Back then , the local team’s fans in the first game would tend to stay and root for the local team in the second game.
Yes, it was Arizona fans that did not show for first game.
The higher seeded team get seats behind their bench.
So Nova had seats behind their bench and Arizona had the seats behind the Michigan bench.

Yep, one and done has had major impact on the sport. One with no continuity the fans do know the players very well and have any ‘relationship’ ....for lack of a better word....with the team. You don’t know their personalities, what struggles and hardships they faced, or how they have progressed.....like Harrar.

Also, knowing they are one and done means they have no loyalty to the school or it’s fans. So if they are loyal why should the fans be loyal?

Last, since they are one and done too many are more about building their resume and showing off their talents. And that ruins a lot of the team play that leads to some great ball movement and exciting games.

Reactions: Obliviax
Yep, one and done has had major impact on the sport. One with no continuity the fans do know the players very well and have any ‘relationship’ ....for lack of a better word....with the team. You don’t know their personalities, what struggles and hardships they faced, or how they have progressed.....like Harrar.

Also, knowing they are one and done means they have no loyalty to the school or it’s fans. So if they are loyal why should the fans be loyal?

Last, since they are one and done too many are more about building their resume and showing off their talents. And that ruins a lot of the team play that leads to some great ball movement and exciting games.
I don't buy the one and done argument. One and done players affect so few schools, there are not many of them and the ones that exist only go to a select few schools. The waiver exemption is affecting it way more than the one and done does.

How many Big Ten teams have had a one-and-done in the past 15 years? Ohio State with Greg Oden, any others? I don't buy that argument. One year with a waiver exemption and continuity has been rocked far more than one and done has done in the past 20 years combined. That is a common argument, but I don't buy it

Last edited:
With many players now transferring regularly, who cares. There is very little allegiance to particular schools. The days of knowing players on the roster who've been at the school for their whole college experience is gone.

Gillespie and them have been with Nova together for like 57 combined years now. The big block of seats were just empty because they were taken up by Houston and Arizona fans that hadn't shown up yet. Sketchy Sweet 16 seating derangements.

Gillespie and them have been with Nova together for like 57 combined years now. The big block of seats were just empty because they were taken up by Houston and Arizona fans that hadn't shown up yet. Sketchy Sweet 16 seating derangements.
Yeah, I didn’t see the whole game to tell where the empty seats were but it’s common in the tournament. Each school gets a block down low and when there’s 2 games you often see a section empty or pretty empty unless their school is playing.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
I remember when the stands were packed for March Madness.
This is the NCAA. What a surprise, 4 blue bloods to the finals. Now football. Go ahead expand it , hell go to 64 teams since it's all about the Benjamins. In the end it will be Ohio state, Alabama and another SEC team and some other drone (I'm speculating that Clemson's run is on the slide), Money money money. Hell, attendance is already down, butfter playoff expansion it will nosedive

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT