ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to the crowd!

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
All game the announcers kept whining about the weather. It was too cold….it was too wet…the wind was blowing. Just horrific conditions that defied human survival. 🙀 Yet the stadium was packed, second biggest crowd ever.

Near the end, with huge lead, second team in, game essentially over…..no body left! The announcers were amazed, saying in any other game half the crowd would have been gone by the end of the third quarter. Even after the game as the team sang the alma mater, the place looked packed. Seemed like no one wanted to go home but stay and relish the victory.

It is my belief that the crowd actually feels they are an integral part of the team. They forced delay of game penalties, timeouts, bad plays. They know it inspires the team and gives them energy. And of course, the impact on recruiting. So they stayed as long as the team did. It is what teammates do.

Last edited:
All game the announcers kept whining about the weather. It was too cold….it was too wet…the wind was blowing. Just horrific conditions that defied human survival. 🙀 Yet the stadium was packed, second biggest crowd ever.

Near the end, with huge lead, second team in, game essentially over…..no body left! The announcers were amazed, saying in any other game half the crowd would have been gone by the end of the third quarter. Even af the game as the team sang the alma mater, the place looked Pa ked. Seemed like no one wanted to go home but stay and relish the victory.

It is my belief that the crowd actually feels they are an integral part of the team. They forced delay of game penalties, timeouts, bad plays. They know it inspires the team and gives them energy. And of course, the impact on recruiting. So they stayed as long as the team did. It is what teammates do.
Not a doubt in my mind how much that crowd means in the Beav... You saw the obvious struggles it created. It was amazing to watch.

Near the end, with huge lead, second team in, game essentially over…..no body left! The announcers were amazed, saying in any other game half the crowd would have been gone by the end of the third quarter. Even af the game as the team sang the alma mater, the place looked Pa ked. Seemed like no one wanted to go home but stay and relish the victory.

I was there and was pleased with how many stayed. To be sure, some left in 4th Qtr, but the number that stayed was impressive. And it remained loud pre-snap for Iowa all the way until the end, even with second string on the field.

One other observation: not a lot of Iowa fans. Fewer than I expected.

Near the end, with huge lead, second team in, game essentially over…..no body left! The announcers were amazed, saying in any other game half the crowd would have been gone by the end of the third quarter. Even after the game as the team sang the alma mater, the place looked packed. Seemed like no one wanted to go home but stay and relish the victory.

Very well put and spot on.

They, (the crowd), also seemed respectful to Iowa, no booing from what I could tell, The 2021 game was not a factor.

I was there and was pleased with how many stayed. To be sure, some left in 4th Qtr, but the number that stayed was impressive. And it remained loud pre-snap for Iowa all the way until the end, even with second string on the field.

One other observation: not a lot of Iowa fans. Fewer than I expected.
Announcers mentioned that several times. I know that I don't want to leave the beav after a solid win. It is a party (and I have a long drive home)

They, (the crowd), also seemed respectful to Iowa, no booing from what I could tell, The 2021 game was not a factor.
Iowa team was booed when they came out of the tunnel before the game and after the half. Nothing wrong with that. I don’t recall anyone needing helped off the field due to injury, thankfully. I didn’t want any injured player booed.

Last edited:
The crowd was awesome! It had to leave an impression on recruits. Who would not want to play in that atmosphere and for those fans? At one point in the first half, when the crowd was at a crescendo, one of the announcers asked the other, "Did you feel that?"

Beaver Stadium figuratively and literally rocks!

Agree with all said. Less Iowa fans than the number of WVU fans we saw at the opener. The rain was more of a drizzle and when I’d look at the lights and saw it coming down I couldn’t believe how packed it was. Great crowd! Also, noticed at both night games this year the stadium was full much earlier than usual. Usually people come in at the last minute.

Given the weather, I was surprised that the white out still looked so good on tv. I expected a lot more yellow/ orange/ cammo rain gear in the stands. Well done to those at the game in those conditions.

I expected the enthusiasm to also be subdued some because everyone would be wet and cold but they still seemed to bring the energy. I saw Iowa reporters tweets talking about how the press box was moving. 😎

Given the weather, I was surprised that the white out still looked so good on tv. I expected a lot more yellow/ orange/ cammo rain gear in the stands. Well done to those at the game in those conditions.

I expected the enthusiasm to also be subdued some because everyone would be wet and cold but they still seemed to bring the energy. I saw Iowa reporters tweets talking about how the press box was moving. 😎
The weather was not as bad as it looked on TV. But agreed - kudos to crowd!

I was at the game and the crowd was very intimidating to Iowa. Loud and proud

I was at the game and the crowd was very intimidating to Iowa. Loud and proud
The announcers kept commenting how the fans stayed even with the game day conditions. Look at most games with fans leaving at halftime even with nice weather..I hope all the fans enjoyed themselves..I was worried about oversatuation of the Whiteout hype. But this event didn't fail me.

The weather wasn't all that bad during the game, the rain was relatively light. It was worse in the late morning when tailgating. I had a poncho with me but didn't even wear it. On rewatch I thought it was odd how much the CBS announcers complained about it being cold but they are used to SEC games in the south where it still feels like summer.

I also felt there weren't many Iowa fans. I was intrigued if boos would follow Iowa injuries so I intentionally watched for this and I don't think there was a single injury stoppage during the game for either team.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The weather wasn't all that bad during the game, the rain was relatively light. It was worse in the late morning when tailgating. I had a poncho with me but didn't even wear it. On rewatch I thought it was odd how much the CBS announcers complained about it being cold but they are used to SEC games in the south where it still feels like summer.

I also felt there weren't many Iowa fans. I was intrigued if boos would follow Iowa injuries so I intentionally watched for this and I don't think there was a single injury stoppage during the game for either team.
I thought the same thing. The lack of a rat to smell may have mitigated the boos. We’ll never know.

I heard that over 180k were in the parking lot prior to the game… evidently over 200k were in the parking lot on 9/2. And these are just the Beaver Stadium lots….

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT