• 149 Verk

• 157 Nolf

• 165 Joseph

• 174 Hall

• 184 Rasheed

• 197 Nickal

• Heavy Cassar

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cassar looks phenomenal so far. Phenomenal.

But I’d pump the brakes a tad until we see a full body of work.

His tools from neutral seem elite, but I’d still like to see him get out of bottom vs a mammoth like Sam Stoll.

Also ..... Ghabble Steveson’s Resume is impeccable for a young kid. 3x World Champ at Cadets + Juniors.
Only folks to really solve him have been grown-ass men, Senior freestyle at a full 285. Coon destroyed him.

I think Cassar has a shot, but we have to be fair at assessing the competition.

I definitely expect to see Cassar in the NCAA semis Friday night .... and see what happens from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Creek Side
Cassar looks phenomenal so far. Phenomenal.

But I’d pump the brakes a tad until we see a full body of work.

His tools from neutral seem elite, but I’d still like to see him get out of bottom vs a mammoth like Sam Stoll.

Also ..... Ghabble Steveson’s Resume is impeccable for a young kid. 3x World Champ at Cadets + Juniors.
Only folks to really solve him have been grown-ass men, Seniors at a full 285.

I think Cassar has a shot, but we have to be fair at assessing the competition.

I definitely expect to see Cassar in the NCAA semis Friday night .... and see what happens from there.
Assessment of the competition is he beat Nick (2nd ranked) fairly convincingly and dominated the 6th ranked kid.

The saying goes, either you get better or you get worse. PSU kids get better as the year progresses. I know I jump on the all in band wagon earlier than most, but this kid is really good right now and will simply get better and better as the year progresses.

Nevills was not 100% in-season shape at Keystone.

That said, I still think Cassar could beat a 100% Nevills 8 or 9 out of 10.

The key would be getting out of bottom & avoid getting turned vs these monsters.

I’m just saying - Stevenson is true phenom & he weighs 15-20 lbs more than Cassar. And Stoll isn’t a layup.

I definitely think Cassar will finish Top 3 if he keeps his health.

Don’t reply all defensive as if I called him a bum.

The key would be getting out of bottom & avoid getting turned vs these monsters.

I’m just saying - Stevenson is true phenom & he weighs 15-20 lbs more than Cassar. And Stoll isn’t a layup.

I thought about replying at all, because I did not want the post taken that way. Referring to him as an almost certain semi-finalist is hardly calling him a bum.

My intent was more to point out that yes it is early, but he already has 2 victories over substantial opponents.

Besides. As Willie so much enjoys pointing out to an unnamed fandom, PSU semi-finalists finish extraordinarily strong.:)

Reactions: seminnylion
Lehigh’s 157 is impressive for a Freshman. Strong, smart skilled. Unlike many late match pins, I get the sense Nolf was not just playing with his food.

Cassar’s dismantaling of Wood was a surprise. Great test..... I thought it would be a comfortable, but close match.

Schnupp continues to show he is improving......great to see.

Overall, we knew this may be our best team. We appear to be healthy, hungry and improving........right where you would want any wrestling team this time of year.

Reactions: diggerpup
Assessment of the competition is he beat Nick (2nd ranked) fairly convincingly and dominated the 6th ranked kid.

The saying goes, either you get better or you get worse. PSU kids get better as the year progresses. I know I jump on the all in band wagon earlier than most, but this kid is really good right now and will simply get better and better as the year progresses.

I never saw Nevills dominate guys like Cassar has so far at HWT this year. Sure, Nick has been really good in the past but he wasn't blowing through everybody in front of him the way Cassar is. I really need to see how he does against a big heavy with skills (like Sam Stoll) because I think a guy like that could give him more problems than Gable Steveson.

I never saw Nevills dominate guys like Cassar has so far at HWT this year. Sure, Nick has been really good in the past but he wasn't blowing through everybody in front of him the way Cassar is. I really need to see how he does against a big heavy with skills (like Sam Stoll) because I think a guy like that could give him more problems than Gable Steveson.
Gable is a far worse matchup than Stoll - especially post shooting Stoll. Stoll is likely even more of a statue. Stay out of the ties and get him moving and reacting

Gable is a far worse matchup than Stoll - especially post shooting Stoll. Stoll is likely even more of a statue. Stay out of the ties and get him moving and reacting
Agree I'm still worried about Gable. Very athletic and 20 pounds heavier. That's going to be a fun match with a lot of action. Plus, AC is going to have to get out on him.

Stay out of the underhook with Stoll and AC should not have a problem. When he gets to Stolls legs, he's going to finish. The only place I could see Stoll being an issue is in Carver if he pushes him out (with no attempt at offense) 6 or 7 times. Nick is better than Stoll.

Reactions: nitlion6
Cassar neutral advantages: Quickness (barely), possibly strength, and I’d say execution (“crispness”) of his specific techniques.

Gable neutral advantages: Overall motion (not that close), breadth of technique (also wider).

The mat stuff is a bigger question in my mind, I doubt Cassar can ride Gable long (would love to be wrong, as that’s probably the key to victory). Unsure of the inverse.

I’d say Gable wins 7/10 times, but we only really care about one, right?

A fair assesment given what we know right now.

I feel pretty good about him vs Stoll given Stoll's general lack of athleticism and Nick's record vs same. Can't wait to see it at Big10s.

If he had to face Coon, now that would be a different matter and I would think he would be far too much for our 230lber. That is one giant human.

I think with Gable, we won't know until it happens. Gable is crazy athletic and bigger. Both are fast and strong. I suspect Cassar will be Gable's toughest test all year.

I see AC as top 2 as long as his shoulder can withstand a full year of 250lb+ guys wrenching on it.

Clearly Cassar is running away with this and rightfully so, but I wanted to talk about a couple of the other guys.

I voted for RBY just because of the move. I can't wait to see him face some ranked people. He's gonna do some damage.

I also voted for Schnupp. Tremendous weekend for him. I think those were his best two matches of his career. He's a hustler and a worker, no one can deny that and wore that guy down yesterday to get the win. And he got a well deserved tremendous ovation which had to be quite a moment for him. He also did a great job of beating a poor man's Delgado on Friday. Every time he shot, that kid ankle dove but he was eventually able to overcome that.

Is it possible that for the 2nd straight year, Cenzo is the most improved? He's just so slick right now. A 2 time champ that keeps getting better. That's pretty awesome.

Bo is just way too fast/quick for almost all of these 197s. As he was at 184. He's wrestling upper weights and he wrestles like a middle weight. I just don't see how anyone can touch him, including Kollin Moore.

Rasheed looks awesome. Can't wait to see him face Myles. Myles looked great at CKLV. I feel like people don't give him his due, he's awesome. Hopefully Rasheed can get him.

Hall is Hall, he's so solid. 174 is a 2 man race. I'm not sure what Kutler was doing though, might want to shoot sometime.

Last edited:
Is it possible that for the 2nd straight year, Cenzo is the most improved? He's just so slick right now. A 2 time champ that keeps getting better. That's pretty awesome.

I'm not sure what Kutler was doing though, might want to shoot sometime.

I really think Cenzo was operating way below 100% last season, after the early season injury at Bingo and having his knee heavily bandaged for a good part of the year. He seems to be moving much more freely and quickly this season.

Kutler didn't shoot Friday against Princeton, either. He really seems to have stagnated. A guy behind me at Grace was lauding Kutler Friday night and said "he's never out of position". I replied "he doesn't do anything, though, except stay in position."

I really think Cenzo was operating way below 100% last season, after the early season injury at Bingo and having his knee heavily bandaged for a good part of the year. He seems to be moving much more freely and quickly this season.

Kutler didn't shoot Friday against Princeton, either. He really seems to have stagnated. A guy behind me at Grace was lauding Kutler Friday night and said "he's never out of position". I replied "he doesn't do anything, though, except stay in position."
Staying in position and initiating zero offense has become a strong aspect of the Lehigh wrestling personality.

Typo. It was a long day. I meant to say escapes (obviously?).

That wasn’t the part that I was questioning. PSU had back points in several matches. You seem to be saying that PSU shut out Lehigh on takedowns only in that paragraph.

I certainly was not questioning a typo, I’ve done that here many times.

That said, I was right. Need some updated pics for newest champs. Awesome site in general, though, especially come tournament time
Thanks, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, rules are rules, and using "likenesses" of student-athletes isn't the same as yesteryear. Not as easy as you assume...assuming you're assuming something :).

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
As to the answer to the OP's question, mine would be all of the above. Call it a cop-out if you want. To me it's about effort, and I saw it from all 10 guys Sunday.

As to the answer to the OP's question, mine would be all of the above. Call it a cop-out if you want. To me it's about effort, and I saw it from all 10 guys Sunday.
C'mon, Roar - even Mark Hall??????????????????;););););););););););)

C'mon, Roar - even Mark Hall??????????????????;););););););););););)
Love me some Mark Hall, but then I love all the guys. Fist pump from the man right after his win, still with his game face on, till he got to the bench. Dang these guys are FUN.

As far as the pressure you're exerting on me, with a near world record of winkie faces...I will not succumb ;).

Love me some Mark Hall, but then I love all the guys. Fist pump from the man right after his win, still with his game face on, till he got to the bench. Dang these guys are FUN.

As far as the pressure you're exerting on me, with a near world record of winkie faces...I will not succumb ;).
Damn, I had you penciled in as one to raise some real concerns after that concerning performance. (no winkies inserted;))

Reactions: RoarLions1
On a serious note, although Roar sometimes gets a bad rap as being overly positive;););), his answer was the correct one in reference to yesterday.

I'm hard pressed to find a more dominating team performance by PSU ever. Don't buy the hype about Lehigh and their backups. Most of the guys thrown out there yesterday are quality guys, just unknown right now outside of PA. It may not be a top 5 team, but a very solid dual team, well within striking distance of top 10 if you add Preisch.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Unfortunately, rules are rules, and using "likenesses" of student-athletes isn't the same as yesteryear. Not as easy as you assume...assuming you're assuming something :).
Oooofff - that makes sense.

Love spreading the gospel of the PSWC tournament max points chart every March to the uninitiated. That is a must have tool along with multiple screens, Byers on the call, brackets, this board and chips, queso and beer

On a serious note, although Roar sometimes gets a bad rap as being overly positive;););), his answer was the correct one in reference to yesterday.

I'm hard pressed to find a more dominating team performance by PSU ever. Don't buy the hype about Lehigh and their backups. Most of the guys thrown out there yesterday are quality guys, just unknown right now outside of PA. It may not be a top 5 team, but a very solid dual team, well within striking distance of top 10 if you add Preisch.
Yup - they were awesome. We are going to leave a lot of very good teams in a smoking heap of rubble this year.

Reactions: dicemen99
That wasn’t the part that I was questioning. PSU had back points in several matches. You seem to be saying that PSU shut out Lehigh on takedowns only in that paragraph.

I certainly was not questioning a typo, I’ve done that here many times.

I fixed my original post to reflect what I was thinking rather than typing.

Oooofff - that makes sense.

Love spreading the gospel of the PSWC tournament max points chart every March to the uninitiated. That is a must have tool along with multiple screens, Byers on the call, brackets, this board and chips, queso and beer

Gosh Chickenman, you just managed to fully capture how I do it up as well.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT