ADVERTISEMENT

Which Big 10 coaches are primed to move on to bigger and better things?

I love Fitz. He has run a great program with the worst facilities and fan support in the B1G. His teams continue to win and this year, going to the BIG championship game. Dude was an all-american at NW as a LB with a very good pro career. He made the decision to commit to NW as he loves the school, the area and what NW stands for. All of this with some of the most challenging academic standards in the Power Five. HIs graduation rate is off the charts. NW is my second favorite B1G school.

Please no, Franklin is right where he belongs.

In fact PSU should open the bank and pay him $7 million.

Agreed! Sure is great to have a coach who has:
  • Beaten EVERY team in the Big10
  • Beaten Urban Meyer (should have been 3 more times including 2014, 2017, & 2018).
  • Beaten a top 12 bowl opponent
  • Made it to and won the B10 championship game.
  • Never been filmed on National TV eating a booger.
  • Never slept over at a recruit's house.

I love Fitz. He has run a great program with the worst facilities and fan support in the B1G. His teams continue to win and this year, going to the BIG championship game. Dude was an all-american at NW as a LB with a very good pro career. He made the decision to commit to NW as he loves the school, the area and what NW stands for. All of this with some of the most challenging academic standards in the Power Five. HIs graduation rate is off the charts. NW is my second favorite B1G school.

Let's not also forget that Fitz is a red blooded patriotic 'Murican citizen that committed to stomping out communism wherever he sees it - like in teams that run the RPO concept.

https://www.si.com/college-football...rthwestern-wildcats-run-pass-option-communism

"“RPO is the purest form of communism. I don’t understand how offensive linemen can be downfield."

Which b1g coaches are primed for lesser things? Related:

Is fleck safe at minnesota? I guess they will give him more time.

I wonder about Chryst at wisconsin. He has achieved with lesser talent for a while, but the badgers took a step back this year. Can he turn it around next year? As has been discussed in other threads, it looks like Frost is resurrecting nebraska to challenge wisconsin in the west.

Is leyer really out at Tosu after this season? If so, does he ever coach again?

How much longer can hairball survive in ann arbor?

The best is probably yet to come for Fitz. Facilities (new $270 million facility on Lake Michigan and newly revamped basketball arena) are starting to look a lot better. As far as attendance you're not usually going to set many records at a private school with a checkered football history, alumni scattered across the country (Penn State for years was the only B1G school that had fewer alums in the Chicago area than Northwestern) and fewer than 8,500 undergraduates. NU quickly sold out its allotment for the B1G championship game. An anonymous donor bought tickets for 3,500 students.

Fitz Career Record (all at NW):
95-69..... win pct = 57.9%

7-5 = win pct of 58.3%

Ok...... I admit it, I gave him a bit more credit than he was due - I rounded up :)

I think Fitz is a good college FB coach - and from what I can see he is a decent human being (which is far more important, IMO).
But, as a football coach, it is what it is.

Since his first year (4-8), he has been 5 losses +/- 2 in EVERY season.
Incredibly consistently “middle of the road” for a P5 program.

It's taken some time for Fitz to build the program to the current level; there wasn't exactly a lot of talent stocked when Fitz took-over prematurely due to the untimely death of Coach Walker.

Since 2012, Fitz has 3 10 win seasons and 1 8 (or 9-10) win season.

The '13-14 seasons were riddled by an inordinate # of injuries.

Can see the program being a consistent 8-9 gm winner (w/ down years being 6-7 wins).

When Franklin was at a school w/ somewhat similar academic barriers, he went 0-2 against Fitz (and then Vandy dropped the series via snail mail).

When Franklin was at a school w/ somewhat similar academic barriers, he went 0-2 against Fitz (and then Vandy dropped the series via snail mail).

Franklin lost to NW once, in his second year (2012), in what was his 15th game as a HC. At that point in time, it was Fitz's 6th season I believe at NW? So your comparison is apples to oranges.

If that was his second year, then you do the math on the 2010 game. Now ask yourself what else are you wrong about?

Isn’t it funny that since the Big went to the East/West format, the team that won the West did not play PSU 5 out of 5 years, OSU 4 out of 5 years (and that team lost to OSU), MSU 3 out of 5 years, and Michigan 2 out of 5 years. If you want to know who’s going to win the West next year, pick the team that plays the fewest of those four teams...so it looks like either Nebraska (plays only OSU) or Purdue (plays only PSU). It definitely won’t be Wisconsin since they play Michigan, OSU and MSU.

Coach Franklin is perfect fit for Penn State. He moved the Program for you to dare talk about National Championships. His compensation should be close to top three coaches in the conference or lose him. Others will be offering him higher packages.

Isn’t it funny that since the Big went to the East/West format, the team that won the West did not play PSU 5 out of 5 years, OSU 4 out of 5 years (and that team lost to OSU), MSU 3 out of 5 years, and Michigan 2 out of 5 years. If you want to know who’s going to win the West next year, pick the team that plays the fewest of those four teams...so it looks like either Nebraska (plays only OSU) or Purdue (plays only PSU). It definitely won’t be Wisconsin since they play Michigan, OSU and MSU.

I would not be Shocked if it was Nebraska who wins the West next year

7-5 records at Northwestern is actually a miracle this was about as bad a football job as there was for a very long time.

[QUOTE="19333lion, post: 3816539, member: 60283

Assistant coaches, other than Brown, are beyond my scope, but maybe you have a candidate (other than a PSU whipping boy: I don't go for snark). Serious answers are always appreciated.
I SERIOUSLY think Ricky should be a strong candidate for every open job throughout the country....... hopefully someone PSU plays a time or two in the near future :)[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately for you, Rahne has said he has no interest in being a head coach. You will be stuck with him for now and maybe for many years to come.

But you can’t actually believe him....just because he says he staying doesn’t mean he is... he’s leaving...oh wait, on this board that only applies to Franklin.
It depends on whether he denied it and said he was saying or really really denied it and said he was staying.

Reactions: 81b&w
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT