ADVERTISEMENT

When will Cael get the respect he deserves?

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
Granted there is no lack of respect in many circles there are still some ... HR ... that cling to his success being more the result of recruiting or money than to teaching the craft.

I think this year may start to break through. 8 of 9 NCs should indicate to all, there is so much more to the story than simply blue chips and money. Taylor, Ruth and Zain are gone and to soon Nolf & Nickal. But it is the Cenzo, Shakir, types who might just shock everyone into their senses. Coming in to this year we have Teas/Teske, RBY, and Berge largely in tough classes expected to be R12ish this year (Flo and others). Aside from 125 I think we do better, maybe much better, and that to may start to silence the critics.

Sure we are the favorites next year riding our 4 horsemen to the promise land, but it's the rest of the lineup that may just display Cael's talents. Head and shoulders the best coach of this generation

Reactions: tabenn
mike-evans.jpg

Granted there is no lack of respect in many circles there are still some ... HR ... that cling to his success being more the result of recruiting or money than to teaching the craft.

I think this year may start to break through. 8 of 9 NCs should indicate to all, there is so much more to the story than simply blue chips and money. Taylor, Ruth and Zain are gone and to soon Nolf & Nickal. But it is the Cenzo, Shakir, types who might just shock everyone into their senses. Coming in to this year we have Teas/Teske, RBY, and Berge largely in tough classes expected to be R12ish this year (Flo and others). Aside from 125 I think we do better, maybe much better, and that to may start to silence the critics.

Sure we are the favorites next year riding our 4 horsemen to the promise land, but it's the rest of the lineup that may just display Cael's talents. Head and shoulders the best coach of this generation

Anyone that doesn't respect a coach that has won 7 of the last 8 titles is a person not worth caring about so why do you care?

Why worry so much what a few delusional internet trolls think? I’d venture to guess even a substantial majority of HR posters have plenty of respect for what our coach has done. They will never LIKE it, but who can blame ‘em?

Taking umbrage over the supposed lack of respect Cael gets on an opposing team's message board is petty and elevates the discussion far beyond its actual merit.

I wish there were a filter that immediately dumped every thread started here complaining about what HR is saying.

I think when the hardest of the hard core HR posters engage in these circle jerk threads, then finally, Carl will have gotten the respect he deserves.

Reactions: diggerpup
I don't mind taking it on the chin a bit when deserved. Thanks for the wakeup. With nearly all replies I agree. Likewise, probably not the best title, not to mention directly responding to trolls a poor practice.

My original intent was to highlight the satisfaction I get in seeing Cael develop the talent below the top tier if that is even the proper term to use. Granted guys like Ruth, Nolf, Bo maybe even Zain although blue chippers have dominated to an extent that suprized most, it is with others where Cael's talents as a coach really shine. I am loving watch how Cassar and Shack both have legitimate shots at beating the best.

Cael chosing Cassar last year to go vs Moore was coaching genious, and then ACs taking him out revealed not only a solid game plan but how Cael maximizes talent. To be truthful despite the petigee few saw VJ as the man who could take out a giant - twice - and to now be the program's first possible 4x champ.

Most are already on board, maybe setting unrealistically high expectations for the destroyer we see coming in Brooks, but I can't wait for RBY and Berge in particular to be the next in a long line of 'suprises' starting this year. Trust in Cael!

I am pretty sure that Cael gets a high level of respect from everyone that is capable of that respect.

There are people out there that will never have nice things to say about Cael no matter what he does.

I wouldn't expect most Auburn fans to ever have anything nice to say about Nick Saban.

I wouldn't expect a Steelers fan to have much good to say about Bill Belichick.

In the same way I don't expect an Iowa or tOSU fan to heap praise on Cael.

We don't exactly have much good to say about TanTom around here but the truth is that he has accomplished quite a bit with the buckeyes.

I don't think there are many out there that don't give Cael respect that aren't utterly blinded by their devotion to their own team that anything a rival does is automatically terrible.

I think Cael does get the respect he deserves. I don't count HR because those idiots are barely human.

Reactions: dbldoofus
The legit knock on Cael (to the extent there is one) is he is cooking with the worlds best ingredients.

Recruiting is part of coaching. Yes. But strictly from a “teaching” perspective, he is tuning up Ferrari’s for the most part.

Cassar is an exception to the rule. There are guys whose names I can’t remember who transfer in as qualifiers, some PSU fans assume a year in the room makes them AAs. In reality it’s more complicated.

Ashnault once beat retherford before college. No one would dispute retherford is better now. Cael has hits and misses like everyone, but it is easier to make a good soup with great ingredients.

Where I don’t think he gets enough credit is on keeping harmony. Hall and nickal are shooting for the same international spot. David Taylor is helping guys who want his spot. That he can sustain that culture is IMO more impressive than his teaching.

The legit knock on Cael (to the extent there is one) is he is cooking with the worlds best ingredients.

Recruiting is part of coaching. Yes. But strictly from a “teaching” perspective, he is tuning up Ferrari’s for the most part.

Cassar is an exception to the rule. There are guys whose names I can’t remember who transfer in as qualifiers, some PSU fans assume a year in the room makes them AAs. In reality it’s more complicated.

Ashnault once beat retherford before college. No one would dispute retherford is better now. Cael has hits and misses like everyone, but it is easier to make a good soup with great ingredients.

Where I don’t think he gets enough credit is on keeping harmony. Hall and nickal are shooting for the same international spot. David Taylor is helping guys who want his spot. That he can sustain that culture is IMO more impressive than his teaching.

'tuning up Ferrari's' .... Lets hope so!

Did ash beat Retherford? I think I remember a 1-0 ,or something like that, win for Zain but I'm not remembering the loss

Did ash beat Retherford? I think I remember a 1-0 ,or something like that, win for Zain but I'm not remembering the loss

I think it was at Super 32?? I really don’t feel like checking but the point I was making is the gap from HS vs College is sig different.

Reminds me of how some people knock Phil Jackson's coaching credentials because he never won a championship without a Jordan, Pippen, Kobe, or Shaq.

However people never seem to ask: how many championships did Jordan, Pippen, Kobe, or Shaq win without Phil Jackson? One. Shaq won one in Miami with Pat Riley, another HoF coach.

As long as we are giving credit......Let us be 100.

Sure we are the favorites next year riding our 4 horsemen to the promise land, but it's the rest of the lineup that may just display Cael's talents. Head and shoulders the best GROUP of COACHES of this generation.

Already mentioned by some...all the reasonable fans from other teams we have talked with over the years, at duals, mid-season tournaments, and Conference and NCAA Championships, have a healthy respect and admiration for our coaching staff, and believe it or not, many of our wrestlers :).

Note: added "from other teams"

Last edited:
Reactions: tabenn
Talking to opposing fans at live events (home, away, Scuffle, NCAA’s) I almost universally hear compliments for Cael and our wrestlers (Notable exceptions being Rutgers last year and the spoiled neurotics in Columbus). Occasionally I get the “he just recruits” business, but, far more often non-PSU fans admire what Cael achieves with the talent he gets. I stopped being amused by the anonymous trolls on message boards long ago. I would hazard a guess that most of the keyboard wizards wouldn’t have the stones to run their mouth at a live event. We farmers have a saying about such folk that involves hats and cattle.

I don't mind taking it on the chin a bit when deserved. Thanks for the wakeup. With nearly all replies I agree. Likewise, probably not the best title, not to mention directly responding to trolls a poor practice.

Cael chosing Cassar last year to go vs Moore was coaching genious, and then ACs taking him out revealed not only a solid game plan but how Cael maximizes talent. To be truthful despite the petigee few saw VJ as the man who could take out a giant - twice - and to now be the program's first possible 4x champ.

This is a bit dated, as I'm just looking at this thread a week later. In terms of the choice of AC over Rasheed to go against Moore last year, my understanding was that Rasheed was going to get the nod, but was dinged up and that's why AC wrestled Moore. Sure worked out well, but I'm not sure that it was the original plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT