ADVERTISEMENT

Whats the better job? Penn State vs Michigan

The only bullet point that I disagreed with Rittenberg about was the section regarding the recruiting/access to talent. I thought he dismissed too much how much easier PSU's access to good talent is compared to Michigan's. I think any program that has to recruit at a national level to succeed inherently has a disadvantage, and if it ever falls off the rails it can snowball in a hurry (see: Nebraska).

Somewhat like millions of other fanatical sports fans, the burning question of wether PSU or UM is the better job has caused me countless sleepless nights. Finally for only $5.95 the answer to this timeless controversy is revealed. If ESPN needs money so badly, just start a Go Fund Me account? Actually I wouldn’t be as sarcastic if they didn’t begin the article by revealing that it really doesn’t matter. Because the OSU job is the gold standard against which all other positions pale.

Easy...Michigan. Because both universities play in the Big Two (little twelve).

tenor.gif

At least Lloyd Carr had a great uncle-y appeal, this guy Harbaugh is liable to be giving uber rides to new croots while his 4-4 team is down 8 vs Sparty.

Spoiler alert: ESPN names Penn State the better job.

I'd pick Penn State too. I like the quality of life options being closer to Philly, Pittsburgh, DC, and NYC and I think there is more talent in our recruiting radius. I do think we tend to compete more with the SEC and ACC for DMV recruits than we used to, but Michigan does as well, and they have a 'decent' in state rival in MSU that plays in the same conference. I'd still take the USC, UCLA, Oregon, Texas, and Georgia jobs over either.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I'd pick Penn State too. I like the quality of life options being closer to Philly, Pittsburgh, DC, and NYC and I think there is more talent in our recruiting radius. I do think we tend to compete more with the SEC and ACC for DMV recruits than we used to, but Michigan does as well, and they have a 'decent' in state rival in MSU that plays in the same conference. I'd still take the USC, UCLA, Oregon, Texas, and Georgia jobs over either.
Shhh....Franklin reads this board!

Penn State is the better job. um is a scandal-ridden, fetid mess.

Have you been to Ann Arbor - Detroit ? If you ever do you'll think you've died and went to heaven. God's country.

Reactions: 94LionsFan
Clearly the Michigan job is a better one if we were to look at it on a cost per wins basis. Without looking at the number of wins, the years involved, and the head coaching salaries paid out, I'm willing to bet the Michigan job pays more money for fewer wins than that of Penn State.

It will take someone more fanatic than I am to do the accounting and come up with the comparisons, but my bet is that we have a lower cost per win than does Michigan. That being the case, from the perspective of the coach the Michigan job is the better one.

Clearly the Michigan job is a better one if we were to look at it on a cost per wins basis. Without looking at the number of wins, the years involved, and the head coaching salaries paid out, I'm willing to bet the Michigan job pays more money for fewer wins than that of Penn State.

It will take someone more fanatic than I am to do the accounting and come up with the comparisons, but my bet is that we have a lower cost per win than does Michigan. That being the case, from the perspective of the coach the Michigan job is the better one.
Neshaminy > Pennsbury.

Reactions: We Are . . .
Michigan is a better job. Don't have to work for Ms. Excellence.

CJF probably thinks so, but Chuck Kane (former Pennsbury) football coach would disagree.
Chuck Kane’s Pennsbury teams were always tough. The undefeated ‘72 Pennsbury team was right up there with the legendary ‘71 Neshaminy team, in my opinion.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
All you need to know is that if CJF leaves she will be the primary reason.
Both her and Baron are out of here within 2 years, so I doubt they will have much of an impact upon CJF staying or leaving (and I predict CJF will remain here for the foreseeable future).

Chuck Kane’s Pennsbury teams were always tough. The undefeated ‘72 Pennsbury team was right up there with the legendary ‘71 Neshaminy team, in my opinion.

John Petercuskie had a record of 59-1-5 at Neshaminy from 1960 to 1965. His son Gary was a defensive back at Penn State in the 70s.

Your analysis based on the cost per win is more of a Return On Investment by the school and not a factor in weighing coaching jobs. The coach may feel less pressure to win every game when he is paid well for a lesser record and is kept on for years. But the coach would more likely feel more pressure to win to justify the high salary.

Reactions: LionJim
Both her and Baron are out of here within 2 years, so I doubt they will have much of an impact upon CJF staying or leaving (and I predict CJF will remain here for the foreseeable future).

Then Brandon Short becomes AD and CJF gets whatever he wants.

Reactions: lions1995
Bet he considers himself lucky to have the BWI Coaching Advisory Council just a click away.
I was thinking, doesn’t every coach have a similar “coaching advisory group” at his (or her) fingertips? If so, and I hate to say this out loud, but this board might not be the secret coaching weapon we think it is.

Reactions: marshall23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT