ADVERTISEMENT

What the hell happened to cornbread? (Not Maxwell)

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
So my wife and I go out to dinner last night, and the restaurant has “Iron Skillet Cornbread” as an appetizer. Sounds good. I love cornbread. We order it. They bring it out, and it has green stuff in it. Not mold, but peppers. What in Sam Hill are peppers doing in cornbread? I wasted no time sending it back.

I’ve also been in a few restaurants that bastardized cornbread with jalapeños. What is the matter with these people?

I hate our world.

:eek:

So my wife and I go out to dinner last night, and the restaurant has “Iron Skillet Cornbread” as an appetizer. Sounds good. I love cornbread. We order it. They bring it out, and it has green stuff in it. Not mold, but peppers. What in Sam Hill are peppers doing in cornbread? I wasted no time sending it back.

I’ve also been in a few restaurants that bastardized cornbread with jalapeños. What is the matter with these people?

I hate our world.

Can I ask - what do you like it your latte's? If you say anything other than coffee and steamed milk, well...

I hate our world.

I had the same experience recently at a BBQ joint. I don’t get it.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

I hate our world.

Part of being a man (a small part. I will admit) is shrugging off the food insecurities which you learned as a child.

I hate our world.

Reactions: Woodpecker
I had the same experience recently at a BBQ joint. I don’t get it.
We live in the age of Food Network chef wannabees. My step son is a chef and he chuckles at how most chefs/ cooks at places screw up basic items with their own take on traditional recipes. He blames Guy Fiere (sp) and triple D for most of it. With the chains it has permeated to the national/regional menu chefs that determine what they think the locals will like. They miss just as often as hit. It is very hard to find places that use basic ingredients and simple recipes anymore.

I hate our world.

Cornbread, grits, scrapple what are they going to screw up next? These delicate dishes need no dressings .

Max does color on the radio for the Celtics. Has been doing it for a while. UNCC got hosed against Marquette in that semi-final game

We live in the age of Food Network chef wannabees. My step son is a chef and he chuckles at how most chefs/ cooks at places screw up basic items with their own take on traditional recipes. He blames Guy Fiere (sp) and triple D for most of it. With the chains it has permeated to the national/regional menu chefs that determine what they think the locals will like. They miss just as often as hit. It is very hard to find places that use basic ingredients and simple recipes anymore.

I call it food fashion. One place bastardizes a classic or adds something new, everyone does it. This is particularly true of the chains. One place decided to do pickle chips, they all did it. One place decided to do loaded tater tots, they all did it. Pepper or jalapeño in cornbread is another. There is little originality or bucking the trends these days.

I hate food.

I call it food fashion. One place bastardizes a classic or adds something new, everyone does it. This is particularly true of the chains. One place decided to do pickle chips, they all did it. One place decided to do loaded tater tots, they all did it. Pepper or jalapeño in cornbread is another. There is little originality or bucking the trends these days.

I hate food.
Can they smoke bacon with anything but Applewood?

I’ve just made a point of being clear with my waiters / waitresses what is in.....and what is NOT in.....my food. Started a few years ago when anchovies and/or peppers started showing up in my caeser salads, lima beans started showing up in my minestrone soups and mushrooms started showing up in my beef stroganoff, chicken pot pies and lasagna.

And I’ve had those jalapeños show up in my cornbread on more than one occasion, too. No thank you!

The Outta the Way Cafe in Derwood, MD is an exception, then.

Last edited:
Time and a place for everything. I'd rather have a piece of spoon cornbread with cheese and peppers in it under a bowl of chili than regular cornbread on the side.

Can they smoke bacon with anything but Applewood?

If there's an Earthfare near you, they have black forest bacon. It's really, really good.

I must say,I had the cornbread stuffing with my Thanksgiving catering order from the Cracker Barrel.I didn't like the texture and far prefer traditional stuffing.Better mouth feel and ability to hold gravey.

Well, I feel like we have done Mr. Maxwell a disservice by not recognizing him in this thread,

Last we heard, he was on the Celtics broadcast team. No information on the status of his silver hammer though.

Reactions: LionJim

I hate our world.

Is nothing sacred anymore? :eek::eek:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT