ADVERTISEMENT

What is your PSU Bball HC criteria?

Why is anyone being criticized for following money? That's the purpose of working. If it's wasn't we'd all do it for free.
So would you take a job watching sports all day for $50K a year or one shoveling sh!t all day for $60K a year? Obviously you’d take the sh!t shoveling job because it’s just about the money.

Correct. I agree.... if Kraft exacerbates this failure and hires Fisher he's lost me and many others for good...he failed at his job with Micah and now he better make it right...especially since at this rate the new coach may need to put inter mural kids into next year's lineup just to field a damn team.
And how much would have kept Shrews here?

I believe you,
Gunsie would never back away from opposition, he'd retaliate and put them in their place.
You're no Gunsie 823.
I have no idea because I didn't really follow gunsie. I also don't really give 2 $hits what anyone thinks or WHO anyone thinks I am. I post what I want to and I find it rather psychologically strange that some of my posts are inspiring these people to completely abandon everything that they post in order to dedicate hours and hours and basically make THEMSELVES look bizarre....frankly who gives a rat$ ass about gunsie, or you or me for that matter? I'm not signing the guys paychecks or robbing his house lmao....It's just a message board and people are allowed to have any opinions they want. Mind you though that the apologist was right about Micah and I WAS WRONG. The difference is that i admit when I'm wrong and the apologist hasn't been wrong once in a decade lol. My fire Micah post was wrong...well come to think of it I was right...he screwed penn state and for THAT he should have been fired 😆

Last edited:
And how much would have kept Shrews here?
My understanding is that Kraft did not fix NIL in the months during which Micah gave him notice to do so. Kraft was offered a matching salary and I believe even topping what they offered would not have done it. But NIL would have...mind you this is from Brennan and Bauer and others not me or my sources.

The first call should be to Mike Rhoades of VCU.

He’s done a great job there , comes from a great family and is a man of impeccable character.

He’s a Mahanoy City, PA native and I can see him viewing PSU as a destination job.
The more I think about it I think this guy is the only choice. Besides the things you mention he’s shown he can recruit in the big areas in Virginia and DC and he’s obviously been able to win a lot of games at multiple programs. Plus from the standpoint of making the team relevant next year. He’s the kind of guy that can immediately hit the portal to make them competitive and keep the current freshman here potentially.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
My understanding is that Kraft did not fix NIL in the months during which Micah gave him notice to do so. Kraft was offered a matching salary and I believe even topping what they offered would not have done it. But NIL would have...mind you this is from Brennan and Bauer and others not me or my sources.
That's why this NIL excuse, simply in this Micah stuff, is ridiculous. It doesn't take 2 months to fix. Our NIL for the whole athletics program is terrible, so let's not make it out like Micah left because Kraft couldn't fit it in 5 minutes. We were a stepping stone to his home and a better brand and program. What I'm really dreading is the Penn state fan base, which is usually apathetic and indifferent to anything but football, wrestling, and women's volleyball, using NIL as yet another excuse to why we are terrible in most other mainstream sports..and it's pretty embarrassing for a program of our size.

So would you take a job watching sports all day for $50K a year or one shoveling sh!t all day for $60K a year? Obviously you’d take the sh!t shoveling job because it’s just about the money.
Yes. That comparable to Penn State vs Notre Dame. And following the money is also earning potential. Again we all work for $ if not we'd just volunteer.

Hopefully with the delay they're hiring May once FAU is eliminated. It's probably our best realistic option with his ties to Kraft.

Hopefully with the delay they're hiring May once FAU is eliminated. It's probably our best realistic option with his ties to Kraft.
there will be some major competition for him, but i am sure we have reached out. what are his ties to Kraft?

if we do hire him we need to be prepared that he absolutely would leave any job for IU and nothing could stop it

NIL is private money, so if the coach "gave notice" to the AD to fix it (not sure i believe that), it is both immature and stupid

Reactions: Yanks49
It was a massive failure and embarrassment for Kraft. It is not like he lost this guy to the NBA or a super elite program. Hope the failure causes him to overachieve on this hire
This is not on Kraft… yes he is out front and center but this is a wake up call to the entire PSU fat cat community. The warning shots were fired when Kraft arrived by both he an Shrew. The fat cats, so called leaders of PSU, and the bloody BOT ignored those approaches until very late instead focusing entirely on Franklion and Cael. I get it but when Neeli comes out publicly at Krafts hiring and says PSU sports is the university’s front porch… she gets it the fat cats didn’t.

Kraft wants to win at everything. He is the perfect guy for PSU because systemic change must take place to survive in today’s ICA landscape. And that includes all sports. Get off Kraft’s case and focus on the real problem. The BOT, the donors and non-donors, the admin, the leaders who are so weighted down by a bureaucratic system that is suffocating this university across the board. My god, these same people have allowed the university to operate at a nine figure deficit! What does that tell you?

Focus your anger, your frustration, your disgust at these people. In Kraft we trust. He is a change agent that must be given time and room to flush the system out if you want a modern day athletic department.

This is not on Kraft… yes he is out front and center but this is a wake up call to the entire PSU fat cat community. The warning shots were fired when Kraft arrived by both he an Shrew. The fat cats, so called leaders of PSU, and the bloody BOT ignored those approaches until very late instead focusing entirely on Franklion and Cael. I get it but when Neeli comes out publicly at Krafts hiring and says PSU sports is the university’s front porch… she gets it the fat cats didn’t.

Kraft wants to win at everything. He is the perfect guy for PSU because systemic change must take place to survive in today’s ICA landscape. And that includes all sports. Get off Kraft’s case and focus on the real problem. The BOT, the donors and non-donors, the admin, the leaders who are so weighted down by a bureaucratic system that is suffocating this university across the board. My god, these same people have allowed the university to operate at a nine figure deficit! What does that tell you?

Focus your anger, your frustration, your disgust at these people. In Kraft we trust. He is a change agent that must be given time and room to flush the system out if you want a modern day athletic department.

every large university is a dysfunctional bureaucracy, so, that isn't unique

you are hinting at some inaction or screw up by the donors and BOT. what specifically happened?

Not like what has happened at dear old state over the last ten years. Buffet Barron did just that at the behest of the BOT in order to insulate the core power unit. Disgusting as we alums and students suffer from such miss management. Barrons cabal should be flogged for how they’ve fleeced the university without consequences. We need more Neelis and Krafts to navigate the messy freeway that they are on.

Reactions: Psugo823
Mine are:

1) HC experience with record of getting teams in NCAA tournament
2) Recruiting connections and success in Northeast and DMV
3) Proven ability to recognize "Diamond in the rough" players and develop them at the college level.
---PSU bball is not going to attract 5 star & high 4 star players so they need a coach that can develop guys that might be overlooked during recruitment. For instance, take a smaller/quicker PG like MN from Kstate who has been exceptional or a 6'8" kid who plays center and has the girth to bang on the boards and can run the floor though undersized heighth wise.
4) Runs up tempo offense with movement and able to coach multiple defenses.

There are coaches out there who meet this criteria.
IMO it's all about recruiting. There are a lot of coaches who can do the Xs & Os but not many can bring top players to PSU.

IMO it's all about recruiting. There are a lot of coaches who can do the Xs & Os but not many can bring top players to PSU.
The reality is 5 str & high end 4 stars aren't coming to PSU even if Fisher is hired. This program needs stabilization that a coach like Rhoades (VCU) could bring while developing the 4 Freshman that remain and then bringing in portal players.
If Kraft is waiting on Terry (Texas) or May (FAU), he is wasting valuable time to keep the Freshman on board and watching other programs add portal players.

The reality is 5 str & high end 4 stars aren't coming to PSU even if Fisher is hired. This program needs stabilization that a coach like Rhoades could bring while developing the 4 Freshman that remain and then bringing in portal players.
If Kraft waiting on Terry (Texas) or May (FAU), he is wasting valuable time to keep the Freshman on board and watching other programs add portal players.
waiting on May is sane but Kraft needs to be interviewing others

if he is waiting on Terry, he may be waiting until after the national title game

Reactions: bdgan
The more I think about it I think this guy is the only choice. Besides the things you mention he’s shown he can recruit in the big areas in Virginia and DC and he’s obviously been able to win a lot of games at multiple programs. Plus from the standpoint of making the team relevant next year. He’s the kind of guy that can immediately hit the portal to make them competitive and keep the current freshman here potentially.
I'm reaching the same conclusion.

Wojo Is living in Park City doing yoga and reconnecting to himself, and his family. I did the same for 3 years and was not really in a place to be productive for most of it. Plus his wife is from SLC...so that doesn't favor change.

The more I watch Fla Atlantic the more that show feels gimmicky (but they are winning).

Rhoades seems very rationale and promising too.

Reactions: bison13
he was at Rice, right? winning there is harder than PSU

Yes. That comparable to Penn State vs Notre Dame. And following the money is also earning potential. Again we all work for $ if not we'd just volunteer.
Dude- are you married?

Do you have kids?

Do you have dogs?

Following the money isn't always the way.

I make 25% of the salary I once had and am arguably happier than most of my peers who are still in the game.

Time is the gold of this time in America.

You can't just ignore your wife and bring her flowers and think everything is ok.

You can't be a non-participant in your kids lives and then be the asshole in the suit who shows up at the softball game and yells at the coaches and umps.

Going to Disney over Christmas Break is a nice photo for cards, but it doesn't make up for the other 51 weeks of absentee parenting.

In my new world I see the impact of mono-focused bread winning parents and how their lack of attention f_cks up their kids every day.

I really do believe that you just pick whatever the contrarian view is and stir the pot. Why is the question? I'm not sure the answer really matters....

Reactions: RickinDayton
Dude- are you married?

Do you have kids?

Do you have dogs?

Following the money isn't always the way.

I make 25% of the salary I once had and am arguably happier than most of my peers who are still in the game.

Time is the gold of this time in America.

You can't just ignore your wife and bring her flowers and think everything is ok.

You can't be a non-participant in your kids lives and then be the asshole in the suit who shows up at the softball game and yells at the coaches and umps.

Going to Disney over Christmas Break is a nice photo for cards, but it doesn't make up for the other 51 weeks of absentee parenting.

In my new world I see the impact of mono-focused bread winning parents and how their lack of attention f_cks up their kids every day.

I really do believe that you just pick whatever the contrarian view is and stir the pot. Why is the question? I'm not sure the answer really matters....
Yes. Married, kids and literally walking our dog currently. Not sure why you're acting as though maximizing salary prevents everything else you mentioned. Almost every job I've taken has not only paid more but created better work life balance.

Let's relate this to Shrew....how would him staying at Penn State alter any of that? He wouldn't try as hard?

The reality is people put into their job what they want. Sounds like you weren't cut out for the work you were doing and had to take a step down hurting your children's financial future due to your own shortcomings. The reality is the people messing up their kids are the ones unable to lead by example.

Last edited:
The reality is people put into their job what they want. Sounds like you weren't cut out for the work you were doing and had to take a step down hurting your children's financial future due to your own shortcomings. They reality is the people messing up their kids are the ones unable to lead by example.

not fair to say that to someone. you dont know the reasons. kind of a ridiculous statement

You'd be mistaken
Awkward Season 2 GIF by Friends

Yes. Married, kids and literally walking our dog currently. Not sure why you're acting as though maximizing salary prevents everything else you mentioned. Almost every job I've taken has not only paid more but created better work life balance.

Let's relate this to Shrew....how would him staying at Penn State alter any of that? He wouldn't try as hard?

The reality is people put into their job what they want. Sounds like you weren't cut out for the work you were doing and had to take a step down hurting your children's financial future due to your own shortcomings. The reality is the people messing up their kids are the ones unable to lead by
Dude- the balance (or as close as one can get) is the key and if you have that great.

On one's way up the ladder salary growth is essential. At some point the tradeoffs are not worth it. Many of my former peers are on 2nd/3rd marriages. Have kids who have been in therapy for most of their lives. Some married young assistants after affairs and had elementary aged kids in their mid 50s-60s. But they are rich.

As for my "shortcomings" my kids didn't suffer.

My son went to Dartmouth.

My daughter died in her bed at Wake.

Their grades and activities earned them places in highly competitive schools where they thrived. And we could manage the money side just fine despite me no longer being a business titan.

I have no regrets in how they were raised and their lives were not negatively impacted by changing careers. In fact the opposite. After travelling at least 3 days a week for their young lives, I rarely missed dinner at home for the next 17 years. That's much better than Smith & Wollensky (at least for me).

The view from the Little League dugout as a coach is exceptionally different from that of the stands and better than a sky box with all you can eat and drink for a pro game. I coached for a total of 7 years. Wouldn't trade a minute.

We are financially sound and both me and my wife work in education...which is a very different prism than what we did in Advertising/Digital Marketing. They are less than honest fields, filled with less than honest people. It is the nature of the game.

Ethics matter more than cash. I believe Shrew is an ethical guy, but ended up in a wonderfully "tough" situation that he never could've imagined 2 years ago.

(Former) Coach seems like a guy who took the full picture into account- including family. It is foolish to believe that he just decided everything on his own for the bigger paycheck, as some would surmise. I was hoping that we'd be the one to provide that long term stability, both financially and personally, and that PSU would benefit from it. But ND beat us. Good for them.

Job hopping, moving, travelling, is not always healthy. People that have been to close to the top of the mountain know how perilous the climb and descent can be. A 7 year contract, hopefully with some frontloaded money, in his home state and near his parents is too good to pass up.

Many people who chase money end up empty. And many of those who have it aren't always "happy." My first cousin (who is my age and stole my intended first name at birth) earns 8 figures and is a top executive at a major social media platform. I wouldn't trade places with him.

You do you. I'll gladly stay where I am- shortcomings and all......

Dude- the balance (or as close as one can get) is the key and if you have that great.

On one's way up the ladder salary growth is essential. At some point the tradeoffs are not worth it. Many of my former peers are on 2nd/3rd marriages. Have kids who have been in therapy for most of their lives. Some married young assistants after affairs and had elementary aged kids in their mid 50s-60s. But they are rich.

As for my "shortcomings" my kids didn't suffer.

My son went to Dartmouth.

My daughter died in her bed at Wake.

Their grades and activities earned them places in highly competitive schools where they thrived. And we could manage the money side just fine despite me no longer being a business titan.

I have no regrets in how they were raised and their lives were not negatively impacted by changing careers. In fact the opposite. After travelling at least 3 days a week for their young lives, I rarely missed dinner at home for the next 17 years. That's much better than Smith & Wollensky (at least for me).

The view from the Little League dugout as a coach is exceptionally different from that of the stands and better than a sky box with all you can eat and drink for a pro game. I coached for a total of 7 years. Wouldn't trade a minute.

We are financially sound and both me and my wife work in education...which is a very different prism than what we did in Advertising/Digital Marketing. They are less than honest fields, filled with less than honest people. It is the nature of the game.

Ethics matter more than cash. I believe Shrew is an ethical guy, but ended up in a wonderfully "tough" situation that he never could've imagined 2 years ago.

(Former) Coach seems like a guy who took the full picture into account- including family. It is foolish to believe that he just decided everything on his own for the bigger paycheck, as some would surmise. I was hoping that we'd be the one to provide that long term stability, both financially and personally, and that PSU would benefit from it. But ND beat us. Good for them.

Job hopping, moving, travelling, is not always healthy. People that have been to close to the top of the mountain know how perilous the climb and descent can be. A 7 year contract, hopefully with some frontloaded money, in his home state and near his parents is too good to pass up.

Many people who chase money end up empty. And many of those who have it aren't always "happy." My first cousin (who is my age and stole my intended first name at birth) earns 8 figures and is a top executive at a major social media platform. I wouldn't trade places with him.

You do you. I'll gladly stay where I am- shortcomings and all......
As long as you're content with the decisions that you've made that's great. But you're posts indicate you can't have both and you absolutely can. There's nothing about this move that wasn't basketball related. If he simply left for the money doesn't make him unethical. He has no obligation to anyone other than his family to do what's best. And I don’t believe for a second those that are committed to both their career and family can do both. A choice doesn't need to be made.

Despite our disagreement I'm truly sorry to hear about your daughter.

The reality is 5 str & high end 4 stars aren't coming to PSU even if Fisher is hired. This program needs stabilization that a coach like Rhoades (VCU) could bring while developing the 4 Freshman that remain and then bringing in portal players.
If Kraft is waiting on Terry (Texas) or May (FAU), he is wasting valuable time to keep the Freshman on board and watching other programs add portal players.
It's going to be Rhoades. My sources just informed me he's going to be the man.

As long as you're content with the decisions that you've made that's great. But you're posts indicate you can't have both and you absolutely can. There's nothing about this move that wasn't basketball related. If he simply left for the money doesn't make him unethical. He has no obligation to anyone other than his family to do what's best. And I don’t believe for a second those that are committed to both their career and family can do both. A choice doesn't need to be made.

Despite our disagreement I'm truly sorry to hear about your daughter.
The good thing about the Michigan man is that unlike the Ohio State man, he has class and dignity. Good post Michigan man.

Two dueling sockpuppets start dominating most of the traffic on the forum and it's a wrap. Congratulations. Head over to On3

Reactions: voltz99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT