ADVERTISEMENT

What is your PSU Bball HC criteria?

they could have at least increased his buyout

got caught totally flat footed IMO

NDs other targets clearly weren't jumping at the opportunity
So we should have renegotiated his contract to give him more money during the middle of the season (or after last season's 14-17 season)?

I'd say we negotiated a pretty good contract to begin with if it actually had a $4 million buyout considering what he's been speculated to have been making.

So we should have renegotiated his contract to give him more money during the middle of the season (or after last season's 14-17 season)?

I'd say we negotiated a pretty good contract to begin with if it actually had a $4 million buyout considering what he's been speculated to have been making.
i don't know the answer. maybe we almost agree. , but i don't think we did a great job

Micah also did not exactly leave this better than he found it. do we even have 10 pts coming back next year? we finish 10th in the conference, beat a team who didn't show up in the ncaa tournament, and now the cupboard is bare. and we have no coach. great

Reactions: Yanks49
i don't know the answer. maybe we almost agree. , but i don't think we did a great job

Micah also did not exactly leave this better than he found it. do we even have 10 pts coming back next year? we finish 10th in the conference, beat a team who didn't show up in the ncaa tournament, and now the cupboard is bare. and we have no coach. great
And sometime in the coming weeks, we will have a coach, and will have players. Probably about a quarter of the players in college basketball will turn over in the coming months, and a lot of the coaching carousel is still left to play out. Keep in mind that when Micah got here, he also didn't really have a team, and had to re-recruit everyone and head to the portal to fill in the rest.

The cupboard was pretty bare when Shrews got here too. With the transfer portal, any coaching change is likely going to empty out the cupboard. I think if we were going to lose Shrews, now is as good a time as any because we weren’t going to be all that good next year anyway. Maybe the new hire can get a couple of guys to stay, bring in some new recruits, and get some portal guys and set us up for a shot at the tournament in two years, which is about where we would have been had Shrews stayed.

Reactions: bison13
The cupboard was pretty bare when Shrews got here too. With the transfer portal, any coaching change is likely going to empty out the cupboard. I think if we were going to lose Shrews, now is as good a time as any because we weren’t going to be all that good next year anyway. Maybe the new hire can get a couple of guys to stay, bring in some new recruits, and get some portal guys and set us up for a shot at the tournament in two years, which is about where we would have been had Shrews stayed.
I guess but i don't feel like this season was dramatically better than 2018 or 2020. Obviously making the cut for the NCAA is a huge differentiator, but the overall seasons were comparable.

for next year, the cupboard seems more empty than at any point in 20 years

i will go out on a limb and say that would be worse than all of Curley's basketball hires combined

although we may be targeting some coaches who aren't done coaching yet
Agreed, Fisher would be a ridiculous hire. Turns out Shrewd was not such a great hire (thanks Sandy!) since he bolted 1st chance, and will end up leaving little talent behind. However, he did show that a good coach can succeed at Penn State, and that is encouraging. I don't blame management for him leaving, but they better get it right with the replacement. Need a proven winner with head coaching experience and who can recruit the NE and MidAtlantic. There are a number of excellent candidates who would be thrilled to run a Big 10 program and make real money. Can Kraft and crew find the right one? We shall see.

Reactions: MacNit07
I guess but i don't feel like this season was dramatically better than 2018 or 2020. Obviously making the cut for the NCAA is a huge differentiator, but the overall seasons were comparable.

for next year, the cupboard seems more empty than at any point in 20 years
If I recall correctly, when Shrews took over every player was in the portal…he managed to convince some to stay, but a bunch left as well.

Reactions: bison13
So what should he have done, pay Shrews $8 million a year for 20 years? Good lord, obviously Shrews wanted to go to ND, so there’s not much an AD can do. It’s amazing, not only do we have expert D-1 football coaches on this board, now we have expert AD’s as well.
And we have little worker bees like you who do nothing but yell at anyone who dare question a coach.

Agreed, Fisher would be a ridiculous hire. Turns out Shrewd was not such a great hire (thanks Sandy!) since he bolted 1st chance, and will end up leaving little talent behind. However, he did show that a good coach can succeed at Penn State, and that is encouraging. I don't blame management for him leaving, but they better get it right with the replacement. Need a proven winner with head coaching experience and who can recruit the NE and MidAtlantic. There are a number of excellent candidates who would be thrilled to run a Big 10 program and make real money. Can Kraft and crew find the right one? We shall see.
Kraft has roots in NE correct? What about someone from that area?

Starting to agree a little on Shrews now that everything is sinking in. He has had quite a few stops. I think the fact that he was not a HC before made people overlook that. also having his own son committed made it hard to believe he wasn't staying for 4 more years

And we have little worker bees like you who do nothing but yell at anyone who dare question a coach.
And we have morons like you that think you know more than every coach and now every AD. Weren’t you just bitching about PSU having Shrews as a coach just a few weeks ago? Zero credibility.

I'm not gunsie moron.
Guess I'll repost it...

You're a "new member" of the board that has never heard of 21Guns or MilesKauffman, yet you know all about UncleLar or that I support Ed Dechellis (the only handles that have ever attacked me for liking DeChellis are all of yours). Under every one of your aliases, you have the same posting style, and post on the same topics (I mean, everyone posts about football, but you've had a special liking to Wrestling, and trashing the basketball program).

Many know of UncleLar, but you've always had a love of attacking him, and have even found the need to use his real name and not allow him anonymity of his alias. If I search for all posts calling him "Uncle Larry Fall", the only two posters that have ever used it are Psugo823 and 21Guns. For example...

And most obviously...The phrase "ahoy palloi" is uncommon enough as it is, but yet you continually misspell it as "ahoy palloy" (under your different handles)...

And the most telling sign is that every times you make your ridiculous assertions (ie, LONNY WHITE WILL BE PLAYING FOOTBALL THIS FALL, MARK IT DOWN), you're wrong and then rather than own up to it, you disappear and come back as someone else. And the timing all falls in line as you moved from Miles to Gunsie to Larryrise to Psugo823, as you either get banned or realize you need a fresh start.

Yet you’re still making a fool of yourself.
No, I'm holding apologist erial to the fire and calling him out for what he is. I don't even have any beef with you and frankly never have...you just keep jumping in because you need to be liked so so so badly lol

Guess I'll repost it...

You're a "new member" of the board that has never heard of 21Guns or MilesKauffman, yet you know all about UncleLar or that I support Ed Dechellis (the only handles that have ever attacked me for liking DeChellis are all of yours). Under every one of your aliases, you have the same posting style, and post on the same topics (I mean, everyone posts about football, but you've had a special liking to Wrestling, and trashing the basketball program).

Many know of UncleLar, but you've always had a love of attacking him, and have even found the need to use his real name and not allow him anonymity of his alias. If I search for all posts calling him "Uncle Larry Fall", the only two posters that have ever used it are Psugo823 and 21Guns. For example...

And most obviously...The phrase "ahoy palloi" is uncommon enough as it is, but yet you continually misspell it as "ahoy palloy" (under your different handles)...

And the most telling sign is that every times you make your ridiculous assertions (ie, LONNY WHITE WILL BE PLAYING FOOTBALL THIS FALL, MARK IT DOWN), you're wrong and then rather than own up to it, you disappear and come back as someone else. And the timing all falls in line as you moved from Miles to Gunsie to Larryrise to Psugo823, as you either get banned or realize you need a fresh start.
It took a half hour of your sorry life to dig up a heap of stuff nobody cares about but you 😆 🤣 and I'm still not Gunsie. That took 8 seconds 😆

Starting to agree a little on Shrews now that everything is sinking in. He has had quite a few stops. I think the fact that he was not a HC before made people overlook that. also having his own son committed made it hard to believe he wasn't staying for 4 more years
Note that he was a head coach, but not at the D1 level.

No, I'm holding apologist erial to the fire and calling him out for what he is. I don't even have any beef with you and frankly never have...you just keep jumping in because you need to be liked so so so badly lol
Then why wouldn’t I agree with you to get you to like me? Hmm.

It took a half hour of your sorry life to dig up a heap of stuff nobody cares about but you 😆 🤣 and I'm still not Gunsie. That took 8 seconds 😆
Note that @Agoodnap also called it with separate evidence from the wrestling board, which I've never visited...at least try to hide it better with your next handle Miles.

"The OP is Miles Kaufman aka Guns. Each time he takes on a new handle he feels it's necessary to brag about his knowledge of the wrestling program and eventually tells the same story about how his cousin was on the team in the late seventies and he got to hang out in the wrestling room. He recently (last week) re-told the story.

BTW be careful as he'll challenge you to a fight in the parking lot behind the Champs on Allen st."

So, it's Shrew's fault PSU NIL basketball pot is a total of NIL.

You guys kill me. You claim he recruited no 4 stars which is BS.... It all comes down to PSU dragging ass. Pretty pathetic for the University bragging about having the most CEO alumni....
Lol

They had a meltdown back when they lost Doherty to UNC. But it turned out that it was Doherty who wasn't really that good

you never know for sure
Yea, he was up there with Dan Monson, Todd Lickliter, and Chris Mack as coaches that I can't believe didn't work out. Seemed like a slam dunk at the time.

Yea, he was up there with Dan Monson, Todd Lickliter, and Chris Mack as coaches that I can't believe didn't work out. Seemed like a slam dunk at the time.

when he was expected to go to a Final 4, he got out coached by Jerry Dunn. pretty badly out coached too. that guy just didn't have it

Just win baby. Empty the jails. Im am ok with 0 graduation rate like bob Huggins.

I said WoJo in another thread, but now I am leaning to Steve Lavin. Prove me wrong.
Hard pass...I've never thought much of him as a gameday coach or talent developer, though he was smart enough to bring Keady with him to St. John's to make up for the deficiency. There is a reason that he's at a low level WCC job at this point.

Hard pass...I've never thought much of him as a gameday coach or talent developer, though he was smart enough to bring Keady with him to St. John's to make up for the deficiency. There is a reason that he's at a low level WCC job at this point.
Agree. Lavin could recruit but wasn't a very good X&O guy even with top shelf talent he brought in @ UCLA and St. John's. Hard pass.

So, it's Shrew's fault PSU NIL basketball pot is a total of NIL.

You guys kill me. You claim he recruited no 4 stars which is BS.... It all comes down to PSU dragging ass. Pretty pathetic for the University bragging about having the most CEO alumni....
Lol
I think Shrewd was leaving once ND job opened up. Didn't matter what PSU did on NIL or otherwise.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
And Huggins never won it.

WHAT did Shrewsberry ever win? What did any psu coach ever win?

I just looked it up. Huggins is the active coach with the most d1 wins. Made 23 out of the last 26 NCAa tournaments. 9 sweet 16 appearances,.

Last edited:
WHAT did Shrewsberry ever win? What did any psu coach ever win?
Where do that come from? I certainly wasn’t comparing Huggins to any PSU coach…I was just commenting that even though Huggs didn’t graduate players, he still never won it so doing that doesn’t guarantee anything either.

Where do that come from? I certainly wasn’t comparing Huggins to any PSU coach…I was just commenting that even though Huggs didn’t graduate players, he still never won it so doing that doesn’t guarantee anything either.
He is all about money and little else. if you want to get someone who will stay as long as you keep throwing more money at them, that is your guy.

He is all about money and little else. if you want to get someone who will stay as long as you keep throwing more money at them, that is your guy.
Why is anyone being criticized for following money? That's the purpose of working. If it's wasn't we'd all do it for free.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT