ADVERTISEMENT

What is your PSU Bball HC criteria?

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
Mine are:

1) HC experience with record of getting teams in NCAA tournament
2) Recruiting connections and success in Northeast and DMV
3) Proven ability to recognize "Diamond in the rough" players and develop them at the college level.
---PSU bball is not going to attract 5 star & high 4 star players so they need a coach that can develop guys that might be overlooked during recruitment. For instance, take a smaller/quicker PG like MN from Kstate who has been exceptional or a 6'8" kid who plays center and has the girth to bang on the boards and can run the floor though undersized heighth wise.
4) Runs up tempo offense with movement and able to coach multiple defenses.

There are coaches out there who meet this criteria.

Mine are:

3) Proven ability to recognize "Diamond in the rough" players and develop them at the college level.
---PSU bball is not going to attract 5 star & high 4 star players so they need a coach that can develop guys that might be overlooked during recruitment. For instance, take a smaller/quicker PG like MN from Kstate who has been exceptional or a 6'8" kid who plays center and has the girth to bang on the boards and can run the floor though undersized heighth wise.

Indeed. And none of them are coming to PSU!

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
the one thing that is not important is existing ties to PSU

that needs to get zero weight in the decision making process

knowing he recruiting terrain around Philadelphia is very important. one thing Shrewsberry didn't have

Yes and I have a chance for a date with Jennifer Aniston!
OMG....you are so lucky, I love her........

Would Jay Wright be able to bring in Coach K as a Grad Assistant to help in in games? .....that would be awesome.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUfiji
Mine are:

Phil Martelli.

Reactions: Psugo823
Tommy Amaker. Coached Harvard last 15 years. Did not get the Duke job when Coach K retired. Solid citizen.

Actually there IS one guy with PSU ties who I think qualifies: Dan Earl.
what other B1G job would he be a serious contender for? coached at VMI then one year at Chattanooga

that doesn't fit. people only look at the psu connection. not good

Well it's day 3 and no word on who is coming in to interview...not good. Fisher is a total failure if that's the hire.

Well it's day 3 and no word on who is coming in to interview...not good. Fisher is a total failure if that's the hire.
i will go out on a limb and say that would be worse than all of Curley's basketball hires combined

although we may be targeting some coaches who aren't done coaching yet

Yeah, just like you said Shrews was a failure. According to you we should just have our pick of any coach we want.

Yeah, just like you said Shrews was a failure. According to you we should just have our pick of any coach we want.
That's Krafts Job. He's the AD. Many think he suffered a serious loss by losing Shrews...one of those people is Mark Brennan...

Feel free to find Mark on a message board and hurl insults at him...lol that should be fun..

What's the matter cat got your tongue? 😆

i will go out on a limb and say that would be worse than all of Curley's basketball hires combined

although we may be targeting some coaches who aren't done coaching yet
Correct. I agree.... if Kraft exacerbates this failure and hires Fisher he's lost me and many others for good...he failed at his job with Micah and now he better make it right...especially since at this rate the new coach may need to put inter mural kids into next year's lineup just to field a damn team.

That's Krafts Job. He's the AD. Many think he suffered a serious loss by losing Shrews...one of those people is Mark Brennan...

Feel free to find Mark on a message board and hurl insults at him...lol that should be fun..

It was a massive failure and embarrassment for Kraft. It is not like he lost this guy to the NBA or a super elite program. Hope the failure causes him to overachieve on this hire

I continue to find it hilarious that Gunsie refuses to acknowledge the idiotic posts last month demanding that Micah be fired...and now acts like losing him was a huge failure.

Reactions: bison13 and AWS1022
Correct. I agree.... if Kraft exacerbates this failure and hires Fisher he's lost me and many others for good...he failed at his job with Micah and now he better make it right...especially since at this rate the new coach may need to put inter mural kids into next year's lineup just to field a damn team.
if that happens the schoool has lost me for good

it is throwing away another decade. i will be done paying attention if they do it

It was a massive failure and embarrassment for Kraft. It is not like he lost this guy to the NBA or a super elite program. Hope the failure causes him to overachieve on this hire
He's lost more than me and you if Fisher is the hire...he probably loses his damn job down the line

Why would I give a sh!t what Mark Brennan thinks? Many also thought Shrews was a bad hire (like you and maybe Mark Brennan…I don’t know what he thought of the hire because I really don’t care what he thinks about anything). My guess is at least half the posters on here won’t like anyone he hires because it’s not going to be a big name coach.

How do you know Fisher would be a failure? You were wrong about Micah, so your track record isn’t exactly stellar.

I continue to find it hilarious that Gunsie refuses to acknowledge the idiotic posts last month demanding that Micah be fired...and now acts like losing him was a huge failure.
And he continues to make a fool of himself.

Yeah it was.
So what should he have done, pay Shrews $8 million a year for 20 years? Good lord, obviously Shrews wanted to go to ND, so there’s not much an AD can do. It’s amazing, not only do we have expert D-1 football coaches on this board, now we have expert AD’s as well.

So what should he have done, pay Shrews $8 million a year for 20 years? Good lord, obviously Shrews wanted to go to ND, so there’s not much an AD can do. It’s amazing, not only do we have expert D-1 football coaches on this board, now we have expert AD’s as well.
No, he had to stop negotiating or it was going to become more absurd than it already was

But the fact that he left so quickly, and after PSU had publicly announced a "long-term financial commitment" to Shrewsberry was not a good look for PSU or Kraft

No, he had to stop negotiating or it was going to become more absurd than it already was

But the fact that he left so quickly, and after PSU had publicly announced a "long-term financial commitment" to Shrewsberry was not a good look for PSU or Kraft
If he won’t take the long term financial commitment, there’s not much you can do.

If he won’t take the long term financial commitment, there’s not much you can do.
they could have tried not lowballing him in the first place

always making your coach the lowest paid one in the whole conference is going to lead to people getting unhappy and looking around.

agree that it was too late by the time ND decided to get into a bidding war

also putting out the word on the financial commitment before you know he has agreed to it is pretty stupid

they could have tried not lowballing him in the first place

always making your coach the lowest paid one in the whole conference is going to lead to people getting unhappy and looking around.

agree that it was too late by the time ND decided to get into a bidding war

also putting out the word on the financial commitment before you know he has agreed to it is pretty stupid
Even if they would have locked him into a deal during the season, he would have left when ND came calling. He wanted to go there, end of story..IMO.

Reactions: psu1969a
Even if they would have locked him into a deal during the season, he would have left when ND came calling. He wanted to go there, end of story..IMO.
they could have at least increased his buyout

got caught totally flat footed IMO

NDs other targets clearly weren't jumping at the opportunity

Howdy 🤠 Duty 🤚! or
Pinocchio 🤥',
or Sky 👑!
maybe Mr Rogers!

With no NIL .... Those are your options.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT