ADVERTISEMENT

What is your PSU Bball HC criteria?

it's also not relevant because nobody was talking about $10 million

PSU couldn't keep him by matching ND. so that's over

If it's true that the next move was calling the current HC at Boston College, who is not even really doing a good job there, then this really is a clueless search.
It was relevant to the discussion because the post I responded to said Kraft should have given Rhoades whatever he wanted and that’s just not feasible. If he offered him a good deal and Rhoades didn’t take it, that’s not on Kraft. Any AD still has to be realistic.

Did you read it?

it's garbage about how they have other events at the BJC, ergo they don't care about the basketball team. He's been writing the same article for 15 years.
I don't think that's garbage. I completely agree BJC isn't suitable for the men's basketball program and basketball isn't a priority at Penn State. Many feel that way even if you don't.

It was relevant to the discussion because the post I responded to said Kraft should have given Rhoades whatever he wanted and that’s just not feasible. If he offered him a good deal and Rhoades didn’t take it, that’s not on Kraft. Any AD still has to be realistic.
i think he was saying Kraft should've met any demand by Shrewsberry no matter what it was. I agree with you that would have been unreasonable.

But I think he was angling for the ND job since January. If Kraft didn't have a list of possible replacements that is dereliction of duty

Reactions: AWS1022
He had to outbid ND to keep him as ND is sadly the better program. He didn't so he needed to have a Plan B in place that was a done deal. If this works that's great if not--it's really, really, really bad.

I think it's an oversized arena in a bad location. But the reason it's a bad arena isn't because they hold other events there

Jones just wants to throw in a line about monster trucks. he is a total clown.

i mean he writes for a defunct newspaper from Harrisburg and pretends he is writing for Philadelphia
I'm not saying he's a good journalist but criticizing him for accurately saying Penn State isn't serious about basketball is a tough sell IMO

well it sounds like, plan B was calling Earl Grant at BC who had zero interest. So Rhoades is plan C. and apparently not 100% sold on doubling his salary. so yeah this is a freaking disaster, especially if Fisher goes to Temple. nice job PSU
Hiring Fisher is also a disaster so they better figure this out if there are truly issues.

He had to outbid ND to keep him as ND is sadly the better program. He didn't so he needed to have a Plan B in place that was a done deal. If this works that's great if not--it's really, really, really bad.
He couldn’t have outbid ND because that’s where Shrews wanted to go, so there’s that. I’m sure he had a plan b, c and d in place, but if they don’t want the job, there’s not much he can do. He has to go to the next offer.

I'm not saying he's a good journalist but criticizing him for accurately saying Penn State isn't serious about basketball is a tough sell IMO
The problem is that Jones does nothing but report on negatives about PSU regardless of whether it’s basketball, football or tiddlywinks. He’s a journalist much like you’re a message board poster. Does any other program have a “hometown reporter” like him? I haven’t seen any in the states I’ve lived in. He doesn’t have to be positive all the time, but once would be a nice change of pace.

Reactions: 81b&w and MacNit07
The problem is that Jones does nothing but report on negatives about PSU regardless of whether it’s basketball, football or tiddlywinks. He’s a journalist much like you’re a message board poster. Does any other program have a “hometown reporter” like him? I haven’t seen any in the states I’ve lived in. He doesn’t have to be positive all the time, but once would be a nice change of pace.
Again, criticize him as a journalist not for that article. Tons of valid complaints about him. All teams should have reporters that focus on the negative and what's real instead of just positive spin.

How do you know hiring Fisher would be a disaster before he actually got a chance to coach?
Because after the season we had and with few other quality jobs open this is the best chance we'll have to land a legit coach. I don't need a guy with HC experience but Fisher's resume is unimpressive.

• Haha
Reactions: JHG722
He couldn’t have outbid ND because that’s where Shrews wanted to go, so there’s that. I’m sure he had a plan b, c and d in place, but if they don’t want the job, there’s not much he can do. He has to go to the next offer.
That's not that. We could have but we would have needed to meet every demand. We clearly decided against it. We'll see how that plays out.

If Rhoades didn't want the job Kraft should have figured it out way before things got to this point
People sure put a lot of stock into rumors, Gunsie’s “inside info”, etc. We don’t know where Rhoades falls in our pecking order right now. He could be one of several guys in the mix, but his agent is making sure plenty is leaked out to get him a raise if he stays put.

It is more than rumors. It got to the point of the AD flying to Richmond and giving him an offer. That's pretty far into the process
It's what I had and it was confirmed...now it appears he took back the acceptance of the offer...I don't see how anyone can be happy about it...whether I'm "wrong" or not it now appears psu lost what was its best possible option. Not good and frankly it's becoming even more obvious this program is cursed lol

If they don't go all-in at this point, and just jack up the salary and NIL so high that almost anyone would say yes, the program is dead. They can't have Fisher as their fallback

is it true that we also talked to the HC of Iowa State and he also said no?
How does an Athletic Director “jack up the NIL so high”?

And in the real world, they deal with budgets…if what we’re reportedly ready to offer is accurate, then we’ll be ok.

You’re becoming irrational…one minute, Kraft is an idiot for not giving Micah anything he wanted. The next day, you think it’s smart that we didn’t overpay him. Now, Mike Rhoades is the only answer, and if we don’t write him a blank check, the program is “dead”?

It's what I had and it was confirmed...now it appears he took back the acceptance of the offer...I don't see how anyone can be happy about it...whether I'm "wrong" or not it now appears psu lost what was its best possible option. Not good and frankly it's becoming even more obvious this program is cursed lol
You were certainly a big enough ass when you thought you were right. I guess your inside information wasn’t all that reliable.

Because after the season we had and with few other quality jobs open this is the best chance we'll have to land a legit coach. I don't need a guy with HC experience but Fisher's resume is unimpressive.
Just because his resume isn’t impressive enough for you doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be a good coach. Every great coach started somewhere. It’s not like we’re in the hunt for Coach K or Bill Self, so I don’t think his resume is all that far off from the others we’re talking about. No matter who we hire, some posters will be unhappy about it.

Just because his resume isn’t impressive enough for you doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be a good coach. Every great coach started somewhere. It’s not like we’re in the hunt for Coach K or Bill Self, so I don’t think his resume is all that far off from the others we’re talking about. No matter who we hire, some posters will be unhappy about it.
A good hire is what is being discussed. We have no idea if anyone would be a good coach unless it would be someone like Coach K or Bill Self. We've seen guys with impressive resumes fail countless times. Fisher would reek of desperation.

And while we agree that some will be unhappy with it some will also pretend it's a great hire just because Penn State did it.

I love the "inside info" but now you have no clue what's happening.
And he wasn't the best possible option. He would be a good hire but there were better options. People just want him because he has PA ties.

A good hire is what is being discussed. We have no idea if anyone would be a good coach unless it would be someone like Coach K or Bill Self. We've seen guys with impressive resumes fail countless times. Fisher would reek of desperation.

And while we agree that some will be unhappy with it some will also pretend it's a great hire just because Penn State did it.
Whether they’re unhappy with it or pretend it’s a great hire, no one will know until a few years down the road.

Whether they’re unhappy with it or pretend it’s a great hire, no one will know until a few years down the road.
No one will know if the coach can be successful for years--the hire decision can be judged sooner. A great hire can be made and they fail. Happens in the "real world" too.

What other Power 5 jobs are open besides ours? I think Cal Berkeley which is a worse job, any others?

Shrews wanted the ND job and getting back to Indiana. We were not nor should we have given him $28 million over 7 years plus who knows what else regarding NIL and huge assistant coach salary increases. He is an excellent coach and I am disappointed he is gone but he was a bobbled/blown MD rebound away from the NIT. Wynter should get half his ND money.

Reactions: 81b&w and NC2017
What other Power 5 jobs are open besides ours? I think Cal Berkeley which is a worse job, any others?

Shrews wanted the ND job and getting back to Indiana. We were not nor should we have given him $28 million over 7 years plus who knows what else regarding NIL and huge assistant coach salary increases. He is an excellent coach and I am disappointed he is gone but he was a bobbled/blown MD rebound away from the NIT. Wynter should get half his ND money.
Just us, Cal, and Texas Tech. Rumors are that both of them have their targets, and they aren’t guys that make sense for us. So we are the biggest job open at this point for the candidates we’re looking at.

• Haha
Reactions: JHG722
So he may use us to get more money from them?
i read on another forum that Kraft initially called Earl Grant and/or Otzelberger (sp?).

. If that is all true, then Rhoades is at best the 4th option we have pursued, if you count keeping MS as option #1.

don't understand the AD's thinking on pursuing those first two guys, if he did

I'm not saying we should offer him. I'm saying a job paying $3.8 million is typically seen as more attractive than a job paying $1.2 million.
But Iowa State is the better job and a better gateway to an elite job generally speaking. Penn State is far riskier got long term success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT