ADVERTISEMENT

What is this James Franklin/Florida State smoke?

This is the part of college football that we all could do without.

Ya know, it ain't the coaches' fault. They have a limited shelf life, can be fired on a whim, so you can't blame 'em for squeezing as hard as they can when they got the other guy's scrotum in hand. If you want to blame anyone, look for the people like the white guy in the picture below.

Art, I think coach's compensation is slightly below 5M. As I recall, it is below Mich. and Ohio St. to say the least. We should not let our staff be raided due to compensation alone unless they are getting promotion.

Contracts are not carved in stone! Change it based on market conditions.

Art, I think coach's compensation is slightly below 5M. As I recall, it is below Mich. and Ohio St. to say the least. We should not let our staff be raided due to compensation alone unless they are getting promotion.

Contracts are not carved in stone! Change it based on market conditions.

With his contract extension, Franklin will earn a guaranteed average of $5.3mm over the next six years.

Contracts aren't etched in stone, but PSU would have to have a total fool of an Athletic Director (it's close) to renegotiate one every3-4 months.My position would be, come see me after you've won a National Championship (or at least made the playoff) and we'll talk.

If JF continues his current trend, these rumors will be popping up around this time every year. Do I think he will leave? no, but I know better than to eliminate it as a possibility. Truth be told though, I'd hate to see the direction this program goes in if he were to leave.

Ya know, it ain't the coaches' fault. They have a limited shelf life, can be fired on a whim, so you can't blame 'em for squeezing as hard as they can when they got the other guy's scrotum in hand. If you want to blame anyone, look for the people like the white guy in the picture below.
Which white guy? Do you mean the rodent, or the one NOT wearing a tie?

Reactions: Art
In my opinion it’s 50/50 that this happens.

trz1033

^^^ this sums it up
James Franklin is a salesman not a football coach. I've seen too much sloppiness, confusion, etc on the field. The comment from the temple DT stating Hack looked like he didn't want to play summed it all up. Joe wouldn't have had it and neither would have OB. If this continues this staff needs to be shown the door at the end of the season. It's about more than Ws, it is about molding men not quitters.

I cannot believe the amount of people who still ridicule Bill O'Brien on these boards. Every passing game illustrates even more just how much he did and the fantastic job he did in keeping the ship together AND winning.

JF has no excuse. The talent is there...no way this lack of development is excusable.

9 trz103, Sep 6, 2015

Gesicki
Discussion in 'BWI / McAndrew Board' started by trz103, Nov 7, 2015.

1. trz103
    Makes way too many mistakes. It's a crime he plays over Carter and Breneman and only because he's a JF recruit.

1 trz103, Nov 7, 2015
    Like + Quote Reply

trz1033

^^^ this sums it up
James Franklin is a salesman not a football coach. I've seen too much sloppiness, confusion, etc on the field. The comment from the temple DT stating Hack looked like he didn't want to play summed it all up. Joe wouldn't have had it and neither would have OB. If this continues this staff needs to be shown the door at the end of the season. It's about more than Ws, it is about molding men not quitters.

I cannot believe the amount of people who still ridicule Bill O'Brien on these boards. Every passing game illustrates even more just how much he did and the fantastic job he did in keeping the ship together AND winning.

JF has no excuse. The talent is there...no way this lack of development is excusable.

9 trz103, Sep 6, 2015

Gesicki
Discussion in 'BWI / McAndrew Board' started by trz103, Nov 7, 2015.

1. trz103
    Makes way too many mistakes. It's a crime he plays over Carter and Breneman and only because he's a JF recruit.

1 trz103, Nov 7, 2015
    Like + Quote Reply
Poster bias and cred issue?

It's already done. Guess you haven't been paying attention.

I've got no problem paying Franklin what he's worth (i.e. what his agent can get him), but I wouldn't negotiate every 3-4 months. Now if you want to put a clause in his contract that automatically marks it to market that's fine. Just understand that the only coach who has that is Nick Saban and he only got it (along with other little goodies that no other coach has) after he won a National Championship.
is that a relatively common clause? The reason I ask is, when Bob Pruett was HC at Marshall, people always pointed to the fact that in his contract, he was guaranteed to be the highest paid coach in the conference. Thoughts?

is that a relatively common clause? The reason I ask is, when Bob Pruett was HC at Marshall, people always pointed to the fact that in his contract, he was guaranteed to be the highest paid coach in the conference. Thoughts?

It's not common. Haven't found it in any contract other than Saban's and I've reviewed most of the ones at the top end.

Reactions: sluggo72
Art, thanks for the info. that coach's pay is 5.3M. No love fest here, however, I respect your succinct opinions. Indeed, the key question is keeping our head coach and stopping others from raiding our staff based on compensation alone. Suppose you are an AD and your coach, the backbone of your program, is offered 75M ten year contract. What are you going to do? FSU let Jimbo go but what about Penn St.

Gone are halcyon days when JoePa never negotiated his compensation! Contracts are often renegotiated based on circumstances!

Florida State: Nigel Burton tweets that Willie Taggart is flying to meet with the Seminoles, and “if meet goes well, UO expects him to accept the job.”

Reactions: TheGLOV
Art, thanks for the info. that coach's pay is 5.3M. No love fest here, however, I respect your succinct opinions. Indeed, the key question is keeping our head coach and stopping others from raiding our staff based on compensation alone. Suppose you are an AD and your coach, the backbone of your program, is offered 75M ten year contract. What are you going to do? FSU let Jimbo go but what about Penn St.

Gone are halcyon days when JoePa never negotiated his compensation! Contracts are often renegotiated based on circumstances!

I appreciate your position, Doc, but you can't prevent approaches being made to your coach and staff unless you go off the deep-end paying them. There's considerable downside to doing that.

Best way to keep a coach is to compensate him fairly and create an environment in which he's happy and feels he has the opportunity to succeed. Then, if other schools make a run at him, he'll either decline or go to the PSU administration to see what can be worked out. I think PSU is most of the way there with Coach Franklin.

FWIW, Nebraska way overpaid for Frost.

It's not common. Haven't found it in any contract other than Saban's and I've reviewed most of the ones at the top end.
I believe that Patrick Ewing had a contract that said that he had to be among the X highest paid players in the NBA...

1. If I really wanted to dig through posts I’m sure I could find some places where you were wrong.

2. Gesicki wasn’t ready to play as a freshman over the guys mentioned and if you can’t see that then you don’t watch football

3. None of this has anything to do with the topic at hand which is my belief that JF will have interest in this job

We all went through this with O’Brien where posters were attacked by the homers who claimed it was a stupid idea. Then those posters disappeared instead of facing the fact they were ignorant idiots.

Reactions: Rjyoung317
1. If I really wanted to dig through posts I’m sure I could find some places where you were wrong.

2. Gesicki wasn’t ready to play as a freshman over the guys mentioned and if you can’t see that then you don’t watch football

3. None of this has anything to do with the topic at hand which is my belief that JF will have interest in this job

We all went through this with O’Brien where posters were attacked by the homers who claimed it was a stupid idea. Then those posters disappeared instead of facing the fact they were ignorant idiots.
O'Brien and Franklin are apples and oranges. Not even in the same universe. JF will have no interest and isn't going anywhere...write it down.

Franklin is a salesman, not a coach. The players are quitters. Gesicki is playing because he's a Franklin recruit, not because he will become the best receiving tight end in the country and needs experience.

Those were bad takes and you should feel bad.

I appreciate your position, Doc, but you can't prevent approaches being made to your coach and staff unless you go off the deep-end paying them. There's considerable downside to doing that.

Best way to keep a coach is to compensate him fairly and create an environment in which he's happy and feels he has the opportunity to succeed. Then, if other schools make a run at him, he'll either decline or go to the PSU administration to see what can be worked out. I think PSU is most of the way there with Coach Franklin.

FWIW, Nebraska way overpaid for Frost.

one term you need to have in all the coaches contracts is the termination clause. assuming you even let a termination clause exist, you need to have the only way out is to pay the University the full amount of the remaining payments that would have been paid to the coach. so if a coach has $3M per year contract and 4 years to go, then it would cost them $12M to get out (again assuming you would even let that happen. hardball is you force performance for the full term of the contract, so coach has to coach 4 more years. if the payout is the same as you would pay the coach on terminating him, then we are in good shape.

If you have a contract - say lease a car, and take the car back to the dealer saying you want to terminate, then you will wind up paying the remaining payments. if you were lucky you would pay the NPV of the remaining payments as a "buyout".

one term you need to have in all the coaches contracts is the termination clause. assuming you even let a termination clause exist, you need to have the only way out is to pay the University the full amount of the remaining payments that would have been paid to the coach. so if a coach has $3M per year contract and 4 years to go, then it would cost them $12M to get out (again assuming you would even let that happen. hardball is you force performance for the full term of the contract, so coach has to coach 4 more years. if the payout is the same as you would pay the coach on terminating him, then we are in good shape.

If you have a contract - say lease a car, and take the car back to the dealer saying you want to terminate, then you will wind up paying the remaining payments. if you were lucky you would pay the NPV of the remaining payments as a "buyout".
LOL, good luck getting a coach playing hardball AD

Where do you come up with this shit? You cannot force anything if you don't have the negotiating leverage to do so. So if you try to impose buyout conditions on a coach who is a highly desirable commodity, who can easily find employment elsewhere on financial terms to which he is amenable, what he'll say to you is , "We're done here. Sayonara, Misterfvckinghardball."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT