ADVERTISEMENT

Temple's head coach says he hopes Paterno is proud.

I'm sure Joe is proud of Matt Rhule --- Matt has done very well at Temple.

As for James Franklin, I'm sure Joe thinks he is a lousy football coach. Give them equal talent, and a James Franklin team would lose 34-0 to a Joe Paterno (in his prime) coached football team.

As for James Franklin, I'm sure Joe thinks he is a lousy football coach. Give them equal talent, and a James Franklin team would lose 34-0 to a Joe Paterno (in his prime) coached football team.
You are probably right. Franklin's slick personality would not have played well with Joe, in my opinion.

Reactions: JoeDidntKnow

The longer Joe is dead, the better coach he becomes. I can name many losses that were due to poor coaching. If you guys were honest,
you would also remember them.

That's BS! Look at some of Joe's closest coaching buddies. Guys like Spurrier, Bowden, and even the slickster himself Urban Meyer were all buddies with Joe. I'm confident Joe would be happy with Franklin and would understand the enormity of the task he's undertaken.

The longer Joe is dead, the better coach he becomes. I can name many losses that were due to poor coaching. If you guys were honest,
You can say that about any coach. I can also remember many games that we won with coaching. The Miami national championship game comes immediately to mind. You don't win 409 games with smoke and mirrors. "He's the greatest college football coach in the history of the game". I didn't say that, Urban Meyer did. I am not a Meyer fan but I think he knows a bit more about the game than any of us here.

Last edited:

Well --- how about the team QUITTING AND GIVING UP?

I have watched Penn State football since 1993. Absolutely there were trainwrecks from a coaching perspective in the 1993-2011 era. But only once did I see a PSU team just quit and give up. 2003 at Michigan State.

Not to excuse quitting, but that was the last game of a dreadful season, it was freezing cold in East Lansing and well ...... I guess they were just ready for the offseason.

Anyway, qutting --- that definitely never happened in the Bill O'Brien era. O'Brien and the team captains simply would never have allowed it.

Now, the 2014-2015 era. I've already seen it twice (Northwestern 2014 and Temple 2015) in 14 games!!!!!!

Franklin is on a very short leash with me. Losing is fine. It happens. And Temple is a legitimately good team (they will beat UC this Saturday). But lack of effort from both the players and coaches, general incompetence and just lagging around out there (did you see Hackenberg trying to "tackle" the guy on that pick-six?) is not fine.

Reactions: JoeDidntKnow
^^^ this sums it up
James Franklin is a salesman not a football coach. I've seen too much sloppiness, confusion, etc on the field. The comment from the temple DT stating Hack looked like he didn't want to play summed it all up. Joe wouldn't have had it and neither would have OB. If this continues this staff needs to be shown the door at the end of the season. It's about more than Ws, it is about molding men not quitters.

I cannot believe the amount of people who still ridicule Bill O'Brien on these boards. Every passing game illustrates even more just how much he did and the fantastic job he did in keeping the ship together AND winning.

JF has no excuse. The talent is there...no way this lack of development is excusable.

Matt Rhule is a State College native and played for Joe as linebacker from 1994-97.

He says that although Joe wouldn't be happy that Penn State lost, he hopes Joe is proud.

He was all class in this interview.

Success with honor lives on.

I don't think Joe would be proud Ruhl doesn't like him at all Ruhl let s the players play and the coaches coach and is all out Not like Joe at all

^^^ this sums it up
James Franklin is a salesman not a football coach. I've seen too much sloppiness, confusion, etc on the field. The comment from the temple DT stating Hack looked like he didn't want to play summed it all up. Joe wouldn't have had it and neither would have OB. If this continues this staff needs to be shown the door at the end of the season. It's about more than Ws, it is about molding men not quitters.

I cannot believe the amount of people who still ridicule Bill O'Brien on these boards. Every passing game illustrates even more just how much he did and the fantastic job he did in keeping the ship together AND winning.

JF has no excuse. The talent is there...no way this lack of development is excusable.
I agraee with the sentiment that JF needs to step it up, but disagree that the talent (by our standard) is there. We have some very talented young players, and certainly enough to compete with temple, but overall this team is showing why experience (which we don't have) is so important.

I agraee with the sentiment that JF needs to step it up, but disagree that the talent (by our standard) is there. We have some very talented young players, and certainly enough to compete with temple, but overall this team is showing why experience (which we don't have) is so important.
Talent is not there. Look no further than LB where after the starters the only option till you get to freshman is Wooten. That's it!

Well --- how about the team QUITTING AND GIVING UP?

I have watched Penn State football since 1993. Absolutely there were trainwrecks from a coaching perspective in the 1993-2011 era. But only once did I see a PSU team just quit and give up. 2003 at Michigan State.

Not to excuse quitting, but that was the last game of a dreadful season, it was freezing cold in East Lansing and well ...... I guess they were just ready for the offseason.

Anyway, qutting --- that definitely never happened in the Bill O'Brien era. O'Brien and the team captains simply would never have allowed it.

Now, the 2014-2015 era. I've already seen it twice (Northwestern 2014 and Temple 2015) in 14 games!!!!!!

Franklin is on a very short leash with me. Losing is fine. It happens. And Temple is a legitimately good team (they will beat UC this Saturday). But lack of effort from both the players and coaches, general incompetence and just lagging around out there (did you see Hackenberg trying to "tackle" the guy on that pick-six?) is not fine.

How about the game against Michigan St. which was Lavar's and Courtney's last game, and MSU had 2 200 yd rushers? We pretty much quit and gave up that day.

That's true, there were losses due to bad coaching. But 95% of the time those losses were in relatively big games where the outcome was never a sure bet. Frequently they were against Ohio State, Iowa, and Michigan. Only the 2000 Toledo game comes to mind as comparable to Saturday's futility against an also-ran.

That's true, there were losses due to bad coaching. But 95% of the time those losses were in relatively big games where the outcome was never a sure bet. Frequently they were against Ohio State, Iowa, and Michigan. Only the 2000 Toledo game comes to mind as comparable to Saturday's futility against an also-ran.

I loved Joe, but he lost some games he never should have. It happens to every coach in every sport.

In addition to Toledo 2000, there was Cincinnatti 1984, Rutgers 1988, Navy 1976, Pitt 1984, Virginia 1989.

How about the game against Michigan St. which was Lavar's and Courtney's last game, and MSU had 2 200 yd rushers? We pretty much quit and gave up that day.

I do not think we quit that day. We were just massively undermanned along the defensive line --- we had walk-ons playing at DT, and that was the reason for the score.

We actually tied that 1997 game at 14-14 midway through the 3rd. It didn't really get out of hand until the very end.

2003 was an absolutely listless performance on a raw cold November day at the very end of a 3-9 season. It was 41-3 until we got a very late touchdown. We did have one chance midway through the 2Q, it was still 14-3 and we had a 4th-and-1 from the MSU 35 yard line. We punted. Team basically thought "well, if it's going to be that way, we'll quit too."

I loved Joe, but he lost some games he never should have. It happens to every coach in every sport.

In addition to Toledo 2000, there was Cincinnatti 1984, Rutgers 1988, Navy 1976, Pitt 1984, Virginia 1989.
Joe was head coach for what? 45 years and we point to half a dozen games he "should" have won. This is a tough crowd. Two weeks ago JF was the toast of the town due to recruiting. All I read about was how Joe didn't and couldn't recruit. .......as this board planted wet kisses on the star system. His assistants were all either related or yes men. A few years ago, people were bad mouthing Scrap and his defensive schemes. I submit that all of you should rush to Lasch and form a think tank to pull us out of the malaise. Funny, I'll bet very few played the game. let alone coached above midget football.

Lower your expectations....lower ticket prices! There are alternatives. Guarantee you OSU hasn't lowered expectations or prices!

You are probably right. Franklin's slick personality would not have played well with Joe, in my opinion.

Joe knew all about JF slick personality. Trust me JF said some not so nice things about Joe an his staff when he was recruiting against them.

Joe was head coach for what? 45 years and we point to half a dozen games he "should" have won. This is a tough crowd. Two weeks ago JF was the toast of the town due to recruiting. All I read about was how Joe didn't and couldn't recruit. .......as this board planted wet kisses on the star system. His assistants were all either related or yes men. A few years ago, people were bad mouthing Scrap and his defensive schemes. I submit that all of you should rush to Lasch and form a think tank to pull us out of the malaise. Funny, I'll bet very few played the game. let alone coached above midget football.
Amen.

Reactions: toddbrewster

Yes, I am aware that Joe was head coach for 46 years....my point was, if you paid attention, that every coach loses games he should not lose - and I simply pointed out a few of Joe's that popped into my mind quickly.

Chill, dude.

Reactions: Marshall30
Yes, I am aware that Joe was head coach for 46 years....my point was, if you paid attention, that every coach loses games he should not lose - and I simply pointed out a few of Joe's that popped into my mind quickly.

Chill, dude.
I am very chill. The point of my post exactly. Not intended to insult you. Rather a commentary on the state of PSU football fanatics. The love affair with OB....who stabbed PSU and Hack in the back. The incessant sniping at Joe and his coaches.....who should have won many more than 409 games. Now JF who is labeled as "can field, but can't hit." Would our illustrious fans be happy if JF were a terrible recruiter?

One of the most remarkable things, to me, about Saturday was how the Temple players handled it. They were classy. I didn't see any taunting or grandstanding. Nothing cheap. They acted the way a winning team should - they expect to win because they are winners. Temple has come a long way. they deserved it and I wish them well.

One of the most remarkable things, to me, about Saturday was how the Temple players handled it. They were classy. I didn't see any taunting or grandstanding. Nothing cheap. They acted the way a winning team should - they expect to win because they are winners. Temple has come a long way. they deserved it and I wish them well.

I also liked how Hack and the PSU players stayed after the game to congratulate the Temple players

both squads are doing college football the right way. no surprise the Paterno legacy rears its "ugly" head in both programs . . .

Reactions: indynittany
CJF is the antithesis of JVP!

Don't go there, dude. People are inevitably gonna continue comparing current and future PSU head football coaches to Joe, but that seems like a fruitless exercise to me. No one is gonna measure up. Bruin fans have done the same thing for years with respect to Wooden's successors, and I think it held their program back.

I don't know whether Franklin will be able to coach guys up as adeptly as he can recruit, but recruiting is a big part of the college game. I think it will take a little more time before we have a fuller picture, and can truly assess what kind of coach Franklin is. His personal style is inevitably gonna be different from Joe's. Different generation. Different background.

Last edited:
That's BS! Look at some of Joe's closest coaching buddies. Guys like Spurrier, Bowden, and even the slickster himself Urban Meyer were all buddies with Joe. I'm confident Joe would be happy with Franklin and would understand the enormity of the task he's undertaken.
Bowden never was and never will be Joe's friend!

Don't go there, dude. People are inevitably gonna continue comparing current and future PSU head football coaches to Joe, but that seems like a fruitless exercise to me. No one is gonna measure up. Bruin fans have done the same thing for years with respect to Wooden's successors, and I think it held their program back.

I don't know whether Franklin will be able to coach guys up as adeptly as he can recruit, but recruiting is a big part of the college game. I think people it will take a little more time before we have a fuller picture, and can truly assess what kind of coach Franklin is. His personal style is inevitably gonna be different from Joe's. Different generation. Different background.

Wasn't just Wooden. The ghost of Woody hung around these parts for a long time. Lombardi in Green Bay. Many other examples. Being the guy after The Guy (or even the guy after the guy after The Guy) ain't easy. Anywhere.

I miss Joe as much as the next guy. But there's only one who promised a Second Coming. And Joe ain't Him.

O'Brien lost to two horrific teams the first two games he coached.

I was on this board since around 2003 (under a paid handle) and I was amazed how after every game, there were posters complaining about Joe. The posters were also vicious and went after his son every chance they could.

Is it coincidence that after someone or some BOT leaked the investigation to the media that the real truth starts coming out? There were a minimum of 3 BOTs who hated Joe because: he did not play his nephew enough, he did not play him enough and Joe did not support him in his election run.

Is it coincidence that the trial hurried up and happened while the whole state of PA and I wanted to lynch Jerry by his manhood? Is it coincidence the BOT spent over $100 mil to Move On? Meanwhile there is a man rotting in jail, who may or may not be guilty, and the consensus of America is Joe was a pedophile enabler.

Go back and read the posts even the two years where we were only 1 play for playing in the NC game and tell me where the posters here did not blame Joe or Jay even when we were winning. I never could figure that out at the time and now I finally do.

The posters wanted Joe out so PSU could play in NC games every year. Good luck to that.

Todd there is a great deal of truth to what you say. I don't think PSU Football fanatics are any different than say, Alabama. I thought that in general, PSU fanatics had better perspective.....sadly, these past few days lead me to question.
It appears to me that James Franklin has not spent one idle second since he took the job. He has done anything and everything to promote his program. His thanks?
Joe had a paid machine biting at his heals. I understand those who feel he should have retired long before the scandal. But, in HINDSIGHT, for a senile old fool, with his idiot son on staff.....how'd the last 5 years go? Imagine if he recruited the stars everyone drools over?Perhaps he actually had something better than the star system fanboys?
I submit, it will be a long time until PSU fans enjoy what clueless old Joe gave them over the last 5 years of his life 46-15. Okay, there I said it....now unleash the but, but, but.......
It would serve some of the fan boys if JF started looking around. Who is next? Do you think coaches are still looking at PSU as in elite job? Wake up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT