ADVERTISEMENT

What is the Big Ten bowl order this year?

BUCKSCOUNTYLION

Jun 9, 2001
Playoff
Rose
Any NY6 Game other than Sugar
Citrus
Outback
Las Vegas
Music City
Pinstripe
Guaranteed Rate
Quick Lane

Is that correct? Interested to see where we land....still have three games to play.

Playoff
Rose
Any NY6 Game other than Sugar
Citrus
Outback
Las Vegas
Music City
Pinstripe
Guaranteed Rate
Quick Lane

Is that correct? Interested to see where we land....still have three games to play.
I saw a prediction for the Music City Bowl.

I saw a prediction for the Music City Bowl
Damn. I hope not. Not just because I'd like to see them play in a better Bowl but if they did go to Music City, my wife's family who lives in Nashville, is actually coming up for Christmas this year. If it is next year I'd be there though

The Big Ten has 8 annual bowl slots. Here is the general. If a one loss East champ loses to a 3 or 4 loss West champ would they be selected? I think not. In that scenario, a 6 and 6 Big Ten team might not make a bowl game. Beyond the Citrus, the order is not set in stone however and there are rules for all games not-named the Rose Bowl. For example, with one exception, an 8-4 team can't be selected ahead of a 10-2. I think that exception will occur this year. This list does not include a second NY6 game which will very likely get as we will probably have four 10 win teams in Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan and Michigan State.

Rose Bowl
Citrus Bowl
Outback Bowl
Music City Bowl
Las Vegas Bowl
Pinstripe Bowl
Guaranteed Rate Bowl
Quick Lane Bowl

If the season plays out as I expect, here is what I think happens. This includes a playoff and a second NY6 game. The last bowl bid would be decided on rivalry weekend with Rutgers and Maryland fighting for their 6th win. The Music City, Vegas, Pinstripe and Guaranteed Rate Bowls will be very fluid and the pairing will be based on opponent. Unless we win out, getting to the Outback Bowl is not possible.

Cotton Bowl (playoff) - Ohio State 12-1 (Big Ten champ)
Rose Bowl - Michigan 10-2
Fiesta Bowl (NY6 at-large) 10-2
Citrus Bowl - Wisconsin 9-4 (West champ)
Outback Bowl - Iowa 10-2
Music City Bowl - Purdue 8-4
Las Vegas Bowl - Purdue 7-5
Pinstripe Bowl - Penn State 7-5
Guaranteed Rate Bowl - Minnesota 7-5
Quick Lane Bowl - Maryland/Rutgers 6-6

…If the season plays out as I expect, here is what I think happens…

Outback Bowl - Iowa 10-2
Your always optimistic outlook has Purdue twice.

The Big Ten has 8 annual bowl slots. Here is the general. If a one loss East champ loses to a 3 or 4 loss West champ would they be selected? I think not. In that scenario, a 6 and 6 Big Ten team might not make a bowl game. Beyond the Citrus, the order is not set in stone however and there are rules for all games not-named the Rose Bowl. For example, with one exception, an 8-4 team can't be selected ahead of a 10-2. I think that exception will occur this year. This list does not include a second NY6 game which will very likely get as we will probably have four 10 win teams in Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan and Michigan State.

Rose Bowl
Citrus Bowl
Outback Bowl
Music City Bowl
Las Vegas Bowl
Pinstripe Bowl
Guaranteed Rate Bowl
Quick Lane Bowl

If the season plays out as I expect, here is what I think happens. This includes a playoff and a second NY6 game. The last bowl bid would be decided on rivalry weekend with Rutgers and Maryland fighting for their 6th win. The Music City, Vegas, Pinstripe and Guaranteed Rate Bowls will be very fluid and the pairing will be based on opponent. Unless we win out, getting to the Outback Bowl is not possible.

Outback Bowl - Iowa 10-2

Rose Bowl - Michigan State 10-2
Fiesta Bowl (NY6 at-large) Michigan 10-2
Outback Bowl - Iowa 10-2
Las Vegas Bowl - Penn State7-5/Minnesota 7-5
Pinstripe Bowl - Minnesota 7-5/Penn State 7-5
Guaranteed Rate Bowl - Maryland/Rutgers 6-6

If three teams from Big10 get in NY6

I think only one of Maryland/Rutgers will get a Bowl.

Rutgers needs 2 wins and has Indiana, Us, and Maryland
Maryland needs 1 win and has Sparty, Michigan, and Rutgers

Looks like a bowl game might be determined in the Maryland/Rutgers game. Unless, they go to 5-7 teams, but by all counts they should have enough 6 wins teams this season.

Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State have brutal stretch’s coming up where they all either play each other or both PSU and OSU. I do not think OSU escapes that this year. They are simply not as good as usual. If they lose..they are out and you may not get a BIG team in the playoffs.

Playoff—None
Rose—Ohio State
Any NY6 Game other than Sugar—Michigan/MSU
Citrus—Michigan/MSU
Outback—Wisconsin
Las Vegas—Minnesota
Music City—Purde
Pinstripe-Iowa
Guaranteed Rate—Penn State
Quick Lane—Maryland/Illinois

Rose Bowl
Citrus Bowl
Outback Bowl
Music City Bowl
Las Vegas Bowl
Pinstripe Bowl
Guaranteed Rate Bowl
Quick Lane Bowl

Outback Bowl - Iowa 10-2
Playoffs - OSU
Rose Bowl - PSU
Fiesta Bowl - none
Citrus Bowl - Wisconsin
Outback Bowl - Michigan
Music City Bowl - MSU
Las Vegas Bowl - Iowa
Pinstripe Bowl - Minnesota
Guaranteed Rate Bowl - Purdue
Quick Lane Bowl - Maryland

Playoff—None
Rose—Ohio State
Any NY6 Game other than Sugar—Michigan/MSU
Citrus—Michigan/MSU
Outback—Wisconsin
Las Vegas—Minnesota
Music City—Purde
Pinstripe-Iowa
Guaranteed Rate—Penn State
Quick Lane—Maryland/Illinois

so do you have osu losing to Purdue and sweeping the Michigan schools?

If they split um/msu then whoever beats them is going to the ccg unless that team drops a game to Maryland in your scenario. Looks like you have us dropping both Michigan games if we are in the GR.

If you don’t have that team dropping another game, they’re going to the playoff as a one loss big ten champ, otherwise the winner of the west is gonna go to the rose bowl if the win the ccg.

Last edited:
so do you have osu losing to Purdue and sweeping the Michigan schools?

If they split um/msu then whoever beats them is going to the ccg unless that team drops a game to Maryland in your scenario. Looks like you have us dropping both Michigan games if we are in the GR.

If you don’t have that team dropping another game, they’re going to the playoff as a one loss big ten champ, otherwise the winner of the west is gonna go to the rose bowl if the win the ccg.
Anything can happen. OSU has laid eggs vs Purdue before and I don’t think OSU is as good this year as previous years. They may even slide out of the top 10 IMO.
I also don’t think they put a BIG team in the playoff if it isn’t OSU. They are gonna keep two SEC teams up there, a 1 loss Cincy team and a 1 loss ND team and a possible undefeated Oklahoma team.

As for PSU, I would love for us to be in a better bowl I just don’t see better than a 7-5 record with the running game in shambles. It’s going to be tough to beat MSU and UM running for less than 100 yards.

Anything can happen. OSU has laid eggs vs Purdue before and I don’t think OSU is as good this year as previous years. They may even slide out of the top 10 IMO.
I also don’t think they put a BIG team in the playoff if it isn’t OSU. They are gonna keep two SEC teams up there, a 1 loss Cincy team and a 1 loss ND team and a possible undefeated Oklahoma team.

As for PSU, I would love for us to be in a better bowl I just don’t see better than a 7-5 record with the running game in shambles. It’s going to be tough to beat MSU and UM running for less than 100 yards.

your previous post alluded to them losing one between msu and um but multi quote wouldn’t work which is why I asked.

I doubt a one loss big ten champ is getting left out. Cincy was already behind multiple 1 loss teams I don’t see them moving up after the Tulsa performance. Let alone getting through if the drop a game.

The SEC is going to be interesting. Bama won’t get in with Two losses and if Bama beats Georgia in the seccg then who is Georgia’s best win? Auburn? If MSU wins out and has wins against top ten Michigan and top ten OSU and a big ten title they’re getting left out for a Georgia team who’s best win is a (probably) 4 loss Auburn?

So it looks like the B1G has 9 Bowl Eligible teams and we’re alone in 8th with only Maryland worse than us.

How will this shake out? My guess is that we go to the Pinstripe and Maryland goes to the Guaranteed Rate. I’d like to see Penn State vs West Virginia in the GR game.

Seen PSU vs Va Tech in the Pinstripe Bowl and Maryland in the Quick Lane vs Eastern Michigan.

One had Maryland vs BC in NYC and PSU vs Miami (Ohio) IN Quick Lane.

So it looks like the B1G has 9 Bowl Eligible teams and we’re alone in 8th with only Maryland worse than us.

How will this shake out? My guess is that we go to the Pinstripe and Maryland goes to the Guaranteed Rate. I’d like to see Penn State vs West Virginia in the GR game.
I know we need practice, but I wish this administration would decline a bowl, but that won't happen. I hate 6-6 and 7-5 teams going to bowls TBH. It just proves there are way too many. Hopefully if they do expand the playoffs most bowls will be gone.

Reactions: bison13 and psu00
I am sure with the new contract for CJF and the chance to play some 7-5 team in a garbage bowl game, the players will be extra motivated. I, for one, look forward to the early tangible benefits our run game shows from the “extra weeks of practice.”

• Haha
Reactions: psu00
If Michigan wins next week:
COTTON(SEMI FINAL)MICHIGAN
ROSE OHIO STATE
FIESTA MICHIGAN STATE
CITRUS IOWA
OUTBACK MINNESOTA
MUSIC CITY WISCONSIN
LAS VEGAS PURDUE
PINSTRIPE PENN STATE
GUARANTEED RATE MARYLAND

If Iowa wins next week:
ROSE-IOWA
FIESTA-MICHIGAN
CITRUS OHIO STATE
OUTBACK MICHIGAN STATE
MUSIC CITY MINNESOTA
LAS VEGAS WISCONSIN
PINSTRIPE PURDUE
GUARANTEED RATE PENN STATE
QUICK LANE MARYLAND

I know we need practice, but I wish this administration would decline a bowl, but that won't happen. I hate 6-6 and 7-5 teams going to bowls TBH. It just proves there are way too many. Hopefully if they do expand the playoffs most bowls will be gone.
Don’t take this the wrong way, but I used to think that way too. Then I realized it’s not about me or what I want to see happen. It’s about the players, coaches, staff and families. For the players, it’s another chance to wear the uniform. For some, it’s their last. They get to experience a new city, special events, get bowl swag, etc. The coaches get more practice and time with the players. The staff gets to work another bowl, bond with their colleagues and earn some swag. The families get to see their son in uniform one more time - again, maybe their last. So what if the team is 6-6 or 7-5. Each player is playing their heart out for their team and teammates. Play on!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT