ADVERTISEMENT

What happens when star players on college football playoff teams start sitting out the postseason?

What happens if they announce the playoff field and then the players on the teams in the playoff say "We're not playing unless you give us a cut of the TV money?" After all, if the players don't play there's no TV money and thus no game, right?
Why? They completed their obligation. It's why the portal opens now not after the bowls

Well that’s a bit over the top. Damn
He said we were both being assholes. Just needed to clarify. I don't tolerate much but accusing a player of quitting that was injured and we all know he injured is beyond pathetic. If he represents Buckeyes fans I'm done defending them which you know I do a lot of.

How can it be regulated? I thought the idea was that athletes should be able to get a job to make money just like other students.

P.S. I don't think a semi pro league would diminish the appeal of college football. The problem is it's a money loser and the NFL has no motivation to subsidize it.
It should be setup like a salary cap as a first step.

How can it be regulated? I thought the idea was that athletes should be able to get a job to make money just like other students.

P.S. I don't think a semi pro league would diminish the appeal of college football. The problem is it's a money loser and the NFL has no motivation to subsidize it.
We all know these players are not being paid for NIL... as in these players are not being paid for advertising their NIL. They are being paid a salary from a pool of money set up by university athletic departments and donors under the guise of NIL.

Stop the donor pools of money. Stop the guarantee of NIL salary as part of the scholarship. Stop the yearly transfer portal for the highest bidder.

We all know these players are not being paid for NIL... as in these players are not being paid for advertising their NIL. They are being paid a salary from a pool of money set up by university athletic departments and donors under the guise of NIL.

Stop the donor pools of money. Stop the guarantee of NIL salary as part of the scholarship. Stop the yearly transfer portal for the highest bidder.
How? Once it's created you can't just "stop it". Players deserve compensation and should be allowed to transfer for any reason without being penalized. See coaches doing the same. The NCAA has no power so unless the conferences align and do something it will continue to grow.

I don't think there is any way to stop it. Maybe it can be controlled a bit by making the players professionals, allowing them to unionize, and imposing a salary cap. But what's going to stop players from making money on the side? Player contracts limit a player's ability to do things that would risk his health and ability to play but they don't prohibit him from appearing on TV commercials.

How? Once it's created you can't just "stop it". Players deserve compensation and should be allowed to transfer for any reason without being penalized. See coaches doing the same. The NCAA has no power so unless the conferences align and do something it will continue to grow.

Players deserve compensation and should be allowed to transfer for any reason without being penalized. See coaches doing the same.
That's ridiculous. Pro athletes can't transfer for any reason without penalty.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
I'm not 100% on the legal intricacies of how this managed today, but the NCAA is chartered by the member institutions to police "competition issues" on behalf of the membership. I believe the NCAA could have a reg that allows players to be paid a "reasonable market amount for NIL services provided" by organizations/individuals, but prohibit NIL collectives and boosters from stroking checks for a commitment letter.
For example, if a car dealer paid a player to sign autographs at the dealership for 4 hours, there is a "reasonable" market value of that marketing activity, say $5-10K, to pick a number. If the player receives $300K for that, it is obviously not a legit NIL activity and is a pay-for-play booster payment that creates a "competition issue," that the NCAA exists to prevent.
And before anyone says that you can't "assess" or police market value, I'd point out that the Federal government does this all the time when evaluating contract proposals from companies. Without getting too far in the weeds, there are cases where companies can bid below market value on things, knowing they will never have to honor those prices. When the Fed Govt evaluates a bid as such, they can assess it as "being outside the competitive range" and disqualify it. Point is, it is not that hard to determine whether an organization made a payment believing they would receive a return for their investment. It's never been an issue for a CFB to have a job, but it's always been an issue for a player to have a "no-show" job.
So...if Bryce Young gets a $1M contract to appear in a national ad campaign for Dr Pepper, it's discernible to say that Dr Pepper believed the campaign would sell more soda. If an NIL collective/or a Tuscaloosa car dealer pays Bryce Young $1M with no activity obligations or only minor obligations that could never reasonably justify the $$, it's not hard to discern that it would run afoul of the policy.

How? Once it's created you can't just "stop it".

1. Players deserve compensation and should be allowed to transfer for any reason without being penalized. See coaches doing the same.

2. The NCAA has no power so unless the conferences align and do something it will continue to grow.
1. Respectfully, coaches cannot transfer for any reason without being penalized. They have legally binding contracts and termination of their employment is subject to the terms of their contract.

In the case of players currently, they CAN transfer for any reason without being penalized.

2. The NCAA exists at the pleasure of the institutions that chartered it and fund it today. If the institutions believe there should be controls/limitations, the NCAA would be mechanism to create/enforce them.

Once enough institutions believe the NCAA is no longer serving the interests of the membership, the NCAA will be no more (or will at least be very different than it is today and will be largely irrelevant for revenue generating sports).

So are they pro athletes or not?
Can coaches leave or not?
If open to anything here
IMO players should sign a contract with terms and conditions that bind both parties. It used to be that a college scholarship did that. Same thing if they're pros. Aaron Judge can't leave the Yankees because he's under contract and the Yankees have to pay him according to his contract even if his performance suffers.

I don't know enough about coaches contracts but I assume Frankin cannot leave without penalty. A school who hires him away might pay that penalty for him but there's still a penalty. IIRC correctly Texas paid Louisville $4.4 million when they hired away Charlie Strong.

1. Respectfully, coaches cannot transfer for any reason without being penalized. They have legally binding contracts and termination of their employment is subject to the terms of their contract.

In the case of players currently, they CAN transfer for any reason without being penalized.

2. The NCAA exists at the pleasure of the institutions that chartered it and fund it today. If the institutions believe there should be controls/limitations, the NCAA would be mechanism to create/enforce them.

Once enough institutions believe the NCAA is no longer serving the interests of the membership, the NCAA will be no more (or will at least be very different than it is today and will be largely irrelevant for revenue generating sports).
Coaches have a buyout. Players finish the semester or drop out.
Does the NCAA truly enforce things?

IMO players should sign a contract with terms and conditions that bind both parties. It used to be that a college scholarship did that. Same thing if they're pros. Aaron Judge can't leave the Yankees because he's under contract and the Yankees have to pay him according to his contract even if his performance suffers.

I don't know enough about coaches contracts but I assume Frankin cannot leave without penalty. A school who hires him away might pay that penalty for him but there's still a penalty. IIRC correctly Texas paid Louisville $4.4 million when they hired away Charlie Strong.
If we want the penalty to be paying back NIL money I can get on board as everything being mentioned in monetary
Or the new school must pay back the NIL money

Why? They completed their obligation. It's why the portal opens now not after the bowls
You're incorrigible. Most people understand the rules as they exist. Most also see how out of control things are and want something different. You're a big advocate of a 12 team playoff and fewer bowls which is fine. Do you really think it's a good setup if teams selected to the playoff start opting out?

You're incorrigible. Most people understand the rules as they exist. Most also see how out of control things are and want something different. You're a big advocate of a 12 team playoff and fewer bowls which is fine. Do you really think it's a good setup if teams selected to the playoff start opting out?
They won't though...that's why a larger playoff is needed. We need meaningful games. Even those that defend the bowl system talk about it being a reward. If the player doesn't want the reward why go? I know people want to believe there's value in them but there's not. It's just for fun/entertainment. Win or lose it doesn't matter. It's for pride.

I'm fine with wanting something different. I want a 24 playoff with an NIT tournament for the next 24-32 teams. I want higher seeds to host until the final game. And truthfully beyond all that I want the Big Ten and SEC to expand to 24...we'd have 4 divisions of 12, 11 games, top 3 in each make the playoff. Then the rest of FBS can have their own 12-24 team playoff.

Whatever people want is fine but IMO too many on this board hate change. They want college football to be what it used to be. That can't happen. It will never be like the 80s again because of the money involved.

I'm not a huge fan of NIL but players deserve a cut so either they need paid by the schools or something needs to happen to keep them paid but reign in free agency. I just haven't heard a plausible way of doing so. That's why we have chaos

They won't though...that's why a larger playoff is needed. We need meaningful games. Even those that defend the bowl system talk about it being a reward.
your proposal doesn't make sense. First of all we would need about 4 additional games which takes you into February (bad weather and all) like the NFL. The 12 team playoff will be difficult enough. Second it doesn't address the issue of players skipping out on their playoff games.

your proposal doesn't make sense. First of all we would need about 4 additional games which takes you into February (bad weather and all) like the NFL. The 12 team playoff will be difficult enough. Second it doesn't address the issue of players skipping out on their playoff games.
Conference title games are gone. Week one would have been last weekend. This weekend would be rough of 16. It ends the same time the current playoff does. How are you getting into February? See FCS.

It does. Players have demonstrated they don't skip bowl games. No one has yet. Why are we assuming they will? They skip bowl games because everyone knows, though some won't admit, the bowls are just a scrimmage.

Conference title games are gone. Week one would have been last weekend. This weekend would be rough of 16. It ends the same time the current playoff does. How are you getting into February? See FCS.

It does. Players have demonstrated they don't skip bowl games. No one has yet. Why are we assuming they will? They skip bowl games because everyone knows, though some won't admit, the bowls are just a scrimmage.
I think you're dreaming if you think no players from the top 24 teams will skip a playoff game. What happened to the players doing what's in their best interest? There might not be as many opt outs but they will still happen if they are allowed.

Conferences won't want to eliminate their conference championship games. The BiG has already announced them for the next two years.

Most college stadiums aren't located near big cities like NFL teams. It's difficult for people to travel through the mountains to get to Beaver Stadium in November. How do you think that's going to work through December and January? Even if they do make the trip the students will be gone from early December to early January.

Coaches have a buyout. Players finish the semester or drop out.
Does the NCAA truly enforce things?
Correct. Coaches cannot move for any reason and without penalty. Any move must adhere to the terms of their contract and often involves a large sum of money. That's far different than the players.

Reactions: bdgan
I think you're dreaming if you think no players from the top 24 teams will skip a playoff game. What happened to the players doing what's in their best interest? There might not be as many opt outs but they will still happen if they are allowed.

Conferences won't want to eliminate their conference championship games. The BiG has already announced them for the next two years.

Most college stadiums aren't located near big cities like NFL teams. It's difficult for people to travel through the mountains to get to Beaver Stadium in November. How do you think that's going to work through December and January? Even if they do make the trip the students will be gone from early December to early January.
No one is skipping a chance to win a title
Conferences will eliminate CCGs games if they get more money elsewhere. A 24 team playoff does that
You dont think Beaver stadium would be packed for a playoff game?

Correct. Coaches cannot move for any reason and without penalty. Any move must adhere to the terms of their contract and often involves a large sum of money. That's far different than the players.
Then the new school can payback the NIL money to make it even. Assuming the player even made NIL money.

No one is skipping a chance to win a title
Conferences will eliminate CCGs games if they get more money elsewhere. A 24 team playoff does that
You dont think Beaver stadium would be packed for a playoff game?
Not in January when travel is difficult and students are home on break

Not in January when travel is difficult and students are home on break
I have zero doubt the game has 80k plus even with 9 inches of snow. If people travel to watch us play Delaware and UMass they're going for a playoff game regardless of weather.

I have zero doubt the game has 80k plus even with 9 inches of snow. If people travel to watch us play Delaware and UMass they're going for a playoff game regardless of weather.
Agree. People will obviously travel for a playoff game. Is Lambeau empty when it snows? No...and neither would Beaver Stadium

Reactions: LandoComando
And how are they going to sell the games as being a playoff of the best college teams when some of the players that made the team so good aren't playing. And not due to injury. Some people said the reason FSU didn't make the playoff is because their starting QB was hurt. Should that matter?

If star players sitting out the playoff starts to become a thing, how can a committee have any credibility in naming a playoff field? It's already subjective to some degree but it becomes completely subjective when the committee doesn't even know what players are going to play post-season ball.
Cite me one player who opted out of a playoff game. I just don’t see this happening.

Cite me one player who opted out of a playoff game. I just don’t see this happening.
I didn't say any had. Read the thread title again.

It was once unthinkable for a star player to sit out a regular bowl but now it's not uncommon. Why won't the same happen eventually in the playoffs? Is some guy that has a potential big cash in with the NFL coming going to risk it all just to play in the playoff?

I
I am not aware of there being an “issue” with players opting out of PLAYOFF games. As I mentioned in another post I am not aware of any player doing that but welcome any one to correct me about that. If I am right, this has been a very long thread “solving” a problem that doesn’t exist.

See my oth

It was once unthinkable for a star player to sit out a regular bowl but now it's not uncommon. Why won't the same happen eventually in the playoffs? Is some guy that has a potential big cash in with the NFL coming going to risk it all just to play in the playoff?
See my other post. Apparently you don’t think there’s a difference between bowls and playoff games.

Because those games matter. The NFL will not accept players skipping meaningful games. Fans need to accept that the bowls don't matter. They're just for pride.

People talk about playoff expansion being just a money grab but we realize bowls are too, right?

Because those games matter. The NFL will not accept players skipping meaningful games. Fans need to accept that the bowls don't matter. They're just for pride.

People talk about playoff expansion being just a money grab but we realize bowls are too, right?
Most bowls never mattered, but players didn't use to skip them. But now they do.

In terms of a college player that has done well enough that he suspects he has a big NFL payday coming, the college football playoff games don't matter. They matter to the fans but not to that player, who stands to lose a lot of money if he gets an injury.

The NFL won't accept players skipping meaningful games? I doubt that. If a star player skipped a college football playoff game and the NFL responded by not drafting him I think there would be a giant lawsuit.

See my oth

See my other post. Apparently you don’t think there’s a difference between bowls and playoff games.
Some players might hang around for a playoff game but it's unrealistic to believe that nobody will do so. Do you really think no players will look out for their own professional interest?

Most bowls never mattered, but players didn't use to skip them. But now they do.
I think the bowls always mattered. The AP & Coaches polls think they matter and I'm pretty sure that PSU's Peach Bowl game vs Mississippi matters just as much or more than the Michigan State game. The players, coaches, and fans sure acted like last year's Rose Bowl win mattered.

In terms of a college player that has done well enough that he suspects he has a big NFL payday coming, the college football playoff games don't matter. They matter to the fans but not to that player, who stands to lose a lot of money if he gets an injury.

The NFL won't accept players skipping meaningful games? I doubt that. If a star player skipped a college football playoff game and the NFL responded by not drafting him I think there would be a giant lawsuit.
But without a playoff there was a perception that the bowls mattered. Once that was created and it expands bowls becoming obviously irrelevant and meaningful.

I completely disagree. No athlete would skip a playoff game at any level. They want to win titles. Being the best is something that competitors care about and that includes winning titles. Brady isn't considered the GOAT because he was a great QB it's because of the rings.

Teams in the NFL won't take them off the board but that's a sign that they aren't a competitor and may not battle through injury or could cause problems if things don't go their way.

Also, the NFL has no obligation to draft anyone for whatever reason. The player would have to prove that the only reason they weren't drafted was they skipped games and that somehow that wasn't something a future employer should consider--how would they win that?

Johnny Wilson FSU further proving the point they don't think bowl games matter and they want to play for a title

"It's just been a thing that I've been thinking about for a long time," Wilson told ESPN by phone on Wednesday. "I wanted to finish the season with an opportunity to compete for the national championship. That didn't happen. I knew this was going to be my last year. I put what I wanted to put on film and did what I normally do on the field. It felt like it was that time. I did what I could here."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT