ADVERTISEMENT

What can anyone of us really do?

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
There was but one single moment in time where the, so called, leadership (BOT) of our University had the opportunity to lead. I will not speculate as to why, but in the face of national hysteria and a massive witch hunt, they ran and tried to hide under a blanket.

Their solution was to erase the hysteria, by being a catalyst to that hysteria and giving it extraordinary opportunity to last for decades. They had a chance to show character and responsibility to the institution they lead and to all those people that served the institution faithfully for a lifetime by simply standing in a unified manner for something we are all entitled to as citizens of this country was to stand firm for due process especially in the ugly face of hysteria.

To recap, instead of acting with a shred of poise, those representing chose a series of decisions that were the equivalent of bending over backwards to ensure this University would be a focal point of allegations for every attention starved loony and anyone seeking cash for any allegation for decades to come. They assumed guilt for this institution by every action they took, handed out cash for a five minute investigation which they and the NCAA crafted to assure guilt without a shred of evidence, handed out nearly a hundred million dollars to even the most discredited and known con artists in the state of PA as quickly as they could while simultaneously paying for an advertising campaign to get the world to "Move On". What did they think the net result of their actions would be?

We, as a university community are witnessing the inevitable results of these decisions and will be subject to the same for decades to come. The BOT had one moment in time to minimize wild and speculative allegations and the accompanying negative press that comes with such things and they instead did everything in their power to assure and maximize such events long into our collective future.

I don't know why or even care why they as individuals and collectively took this course of actions but I can say the course of actions they took was ridiculous and inexcusable, no matter.

My question is, given the way the BOT is structured and that the power within the BOT lies in the hands of an few appointed individuals, what can we do to change this and see to it that another breach of responsibility, collective act of cowardice and the resultant harm to this institution and all associated with it never occur again? Elect a few nearly powerless advocates to this dysfunctional by design institution? Sure there has been change but that change seem powerless in the face of it's precedent.

Clearly, I am at a loss. What the defective institution did just a few years ago predestined what has occurred over the last 2 days to occur ad infinitum, The last two days are the future of this great institution as everyone with the need for public attention or seeking free money will make claims until the press sees no value in printing allegations that cannot in this point in time be refuted or substantiated. The, to little to late press release yesterday is an ironic mockery and joke to all that care about Penn State. The time for yesterdays press release left the station house in my opinion a long time ago.

Last edited:
There was but one single moment in time where the, so called, leadership (BOT) of our University had the opportunity to lead. I will not speculate as to why, but in the face of national hysteria and a massive witch hunt, they ran and tried to hide under a blanket.

Their solution was to erase the hysteria, by being a catalyst to that hysteria and giving it extraordinary opportunity to last for decades. They had a chance to show character and responsibility to the institution they lead and to all those people that served the institution faithfully for a lifetime by simply standing in a unified manner for something we are all entitled to as citizens of this country was to stand firm for due process especially in the ugly face of hysteria.

To recap, instead of acting with a shred of poise, those representing chose a series of decisions that were the equivalent of bending over backwards to ensure this University would be a focal point of allegations for every attention starved loony and anyone seeking cash for any allegation for decades to come. They assumed guilt for this institution by every action they took, handed out cash for a five minute investigation which they and the NCAA crafted to assure guilt without a shred of evidence, handed out nearly a hundred million dollars to even the most discredited and known con artists in the state of PA as quickly as they could while simultaneously paying for an advertising campaign to get the world to "Move On". What did they think the net result of their actions would be?

We, as a university community are witnessing the inevitable results of these decisions and will be subject to the same for decades to come. The BOT had one moment in time to minimize wild and speculative allegations and the accompanying negative press that comes with such things and they instead did everything in their power to assure and maximize such events long into our collective future.

I don't know why or even care why they as individuals and collectively took this course of actions but I can say the course of actions they took was ridiculous and inexcusable, no matter.

My question is, given the way the BOT is structured and that the power within the BOT lies in the hands of an few appointed individuals, what can we do to change this and see to it that another breach of responsibility, collective act of cowardice and the resultant harm to this institution and all associated with it never occur again? Elect a few nearly powerless advocates to this dysfunctional by design institution? Sure there has been change but that change seem powerless in the face of it's precedent.

Clearly, I am at a loss. What the defective institution did just a few years ago predestined what has occurred over the last 2 days to occur ad infinitum, The last two days are the future of this great institution as everyone with the need for public attention or seeking free money will make claims until the press sees no value in printing allegations that cannot in this point in time be refuted or substantiated. The, to little to late press release yesterday is an ironic mockery and joke to all that care about Penn State. The time for yesterdays press release left the station house in my opinion a long time ago.
Rip, your question is a good one and well stated. I honestly don't know the answer. Today I am just numb and worn out. Like many of us, I have invested a lot of time and emotional energy in this matter over the last 4+ years and this morning the future looks bleak. I despise the Old Guard but really do feel helpless in releasing their grip on the throat of this university. My comfort is that history has often proven the old saying that the darkest hour is often just before dawn. Perhaps that will be true here. As to your question of what we can do, my answer is to speak out when we can and continue to support those who seek the truth, justice, and change. Only time will tell if that is enough.

I am a bit more empathetic to the BOT of those days. Not forgiving.

They were put on the spot.

Look, many of these guys were sitting in a room with the Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania when said Governor took a call from a previous Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. (Both being Governors who most, if not all, of them has supported.) That is gonna make anybody's ears perk up....and their hair stand on edge.

They stone cold panicked. They saw their lives flashing before their eyes. (And there is no easy way for them to admit it.)

The only thing I know to do about it is to talk/write about this incident every appropriate chance I get.

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
Rip, your question is a good one and well stated. I honestly don't know the answer. Today I am just numb and worn out. Like many of us, I have invested a lot of time and emotional energy in this matter over the last 4+ years and this morning the future looks bleak. I despise the Old Guard but really do feel helpless in releasing their grip on the throat of this university. My comfort is that history has often proven the old saying that the darkest hour is often just before dawn. Perhaps that will be true here. As to your question of what we can do, my answer is to speak out when we can and continue to support those who seek the truth, justice, and change. Only time will tell if that is enough.

That's about how I have been feeling. I am not sure Penn State is worth it anymore. Earlier on another thread, there was a poster who commented "it doesn't affect the current football team". Who cares?! Football is just a game. Honor is far more important. But few seem to believe that anymore.

I hate to say this, but Joe and his family would be far better off today had he taken the Patriots job when it was offered. At least with the pros, you know what you are getting into.

None of this gets guys like ChiTown down. Get out there and fight! If no one is going to do it for us, we have to do it ourselves. Also, it's time to stop with the "every victim is a victim" nonsense. This is what got us into this mess in the first place. Time to call a spade a spade.

None of this gets guys like ChiTown down. Get out there and fight! If no one is going to do it for us, we have to do it ourselves. Also, it's time to stop with the "every victim is a victim" nonsense. This is what got us into this mess in the first place. Time to call a spade a spade.

And the real victims are the ones being penalized because they get lumped in with all the crack pot money grubbers.

The true victims are the Paterno family, the players, the students, the fans, the local businesses and most of all the truth. The truth is always the victim in cases where the lies have been told and people were sold down the river or lynched for no reason.

Read the NBC article again. "Sources" said this, "sources" said that....

The logical thing to do would be to find these "sources"..... I doubt they don't have an agenda.

Reactions: Ski
Hit them in the cash register. I assure you that will get their attention. One or two large donors passing on their annual contribution will do that. Since that is unlikely, we need lots of smaller donors. Yes, the retort to that is that it punishes students, but guess what, I don't see the students clamoring for justice, so screw 'em.

Last edited:
The Paterno suit against NCAA, alumni trustees review of freeh source files, and Spanier suit against freeh will shed a lot of light on things within the next 6-12 months.

I have faith that Lubrano and others are going to expose the cancer in our BOT and there will be some nationally televised press conferences that have the truth for once!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT