ADVERTISEMENT

What a tool

STAND with PRIDE

Sep 9, 2018
Was discussing my Cardinals recent acquisition of Goldschmidt, and we decided his 3 tools didnt come close to Puyol’s 5.

This got me thinking, if there was a 5 tool wrestler, who would it be? What would the “tools” even be?
Strength, speed, stamina,flexibility,? Any ideas for the 5th? Any college guys fit the bill?

Creativity.

And the obvious answer is: Jason Nolf.

I think Bo and Spencer Lee are probably the next closest.

Reactions: diggerpup
Pretty sure with some of our Illustrious visitors, we could come up with a list of 5 tools pretty quickly.;)

Now, as far as the list you started, I would use creativity as the 5th.

Reactions: danoftw
In seriousness, though, I'd say Cael Sanderson was about the most 5 tool/total package (that's what she said) wrestler that I've ever seen.

Last edited:
I don't know that you could come with 5 tools where Jason Nolf wouldn't be the obvious 5 tool wrestler.

The fifth could be ‘mat awareness/tactics’.

I’d put Cassar up for consideration. He has the quicks and strength (he picked up Haines during the Lehigh dual).

His performance during the year will show how strong his other tools are.

The 5 tools in baseball are hit, hit w power, run, throw, and field. From a wrestling standpoint I say the equivalent the "5 tools" would be

1) neutral offense
2) neutral defense
3) ability to ride
4) ability to turn/pin
5) ability to escape.

... Strength, speed, stamina,flexibility,? Any ideas for the 5th? ...
Nice thread.
Every list of anything will include different phrasings and combinations and permutations of mind/body/spirit. If we use four of five slots on only a fine-grained subset of physical traits, then that last slot will have to pick up remaining physical traits (coordination, balance, ...) and also add in mind and spirit.
So, unless we want the fifth tool to be called cobamisp, we should start over. :)

Last edited:
This thread is interesting. Never thought some of these guys would be tools. I get the concept, just throws me off a bit.

Reactions: dbldoofus
This thread is interesting. Never thought some of these guys would be tools. I get the concept, just throws me off a bit.

The thread title threw me off. I expected the OP to be talking about you. ;):)
72c5f7fa23c1bd2d39c1fa6d309bfc5e757d8ce6.gif

The thread title threw me off. I expected the OP to be talking about you. ;):)
72c5f7fa23c1bd2d39c1fa6d309bfc5e757d8ce6.gif
Gilmans been out of college awhile now so I didnt think he was the culprit. I thought it was Willie Saylor. Turns out the answer was Cael. Who knew?!

Was discussing my Cardinals recent acquisition of Goldschmidt, and we decided his 3 tools didnt come close to Puyol’s 5.

This got me thinking, if there was a 5 tool wrestler, who would it be? What would the “tools” even be?
Strength, speed, stamina,flexibility,? Any ideas for the 5th? Any college guys fit the bill?
Technique.

Reactions: Dogwelder

You've chosen only those things that any normal wrestling coach would covet. The reason our coach is the GOAT is because while those tools might allow you to ring the PSU doorbell, here's what he's looking for before he let's you in.
"We want to win. And my job at Penn State is to win. But there are more important things. And doing things the right way - being honest, being consistent when things are both good and bad, where you stand - are more important."

Character matters!

The 5 tools in baseball are hit, hit w power, run, throw, and field. From a wrestling standpoint I say the equivalent the "5 tools" would be

1) neutral offense
2) neutral defense
3) ability to ride
4) ability to turn/pin
5) ability to escape.

This is a very good list, I will nitpick and say 4 is really a superset of 3. While there are guys that can ride without turning, I can't think of a single wrestler that was known for being able to turn people but didn't have the ability to ride.

That said I can't think of a good replacement - stamina? In match adjustments?

1. Chain wrestling - the ability to go from one move to another seamlessly or to turn two moves into one is a form of art.
2-5 any combo from the examples above

I'm going to go with large cahones.

Or put another way...nerves of steel.

And I love me some Jason Nolf, but in my book, Bo gets the Nerves of Steel Lifetime Achievement Award for last years clinching move in the finals. If there's a wrestler with bigger stones, I haven't seen him :)

Reactions: SJP80 and Afw6006

Gotta be honest, I was thinking this thread was going to be about Vodka reporting us to NCAA compliance again.

Reactions: danoftw and Afw6006
1. Strength
2. Quickness
3. Agility/Durability
4. Knowledge of Moves/Execution
5. Endurance

And I would add a 6th....HEART

And the Answer is still NOLF!!!!!
Agility and durability are separate traits, you cheater! ;)

Great list, though. It’s my favorite one so far, of the non-aalion’s-style ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: manmythlegend1
This is a very good list, I will nitpick and say 4 is really a superset of 3. While there are guys that can ride without turning, I can't think of a single wrestler that was known for being able to turn people but didn't have the ability to ride.

That said I can't think of a good replacement - stamina? In match adjustments?
you are probably right although maybe a guy like Quentin Wright is more of a pinner than a rider. Or even Jason Nolf. He can ride but doesn't very often but pins alot. Guys like Zain and Ed Ruth seemed (to me) to ride as part of the pinning process. Others like Nolf seem to lock up the pinning combo quickly or just go back to playing with / wearing out their food.

Now that i think about it, Andrew Alton is a pinner but not a rider perhaps?

I am nowhere near a wrestling historian though so i might be talking out of my arse.

Robert Howard sounded like a 5 tool human being in his interview with Flo the other day....

I kid, I kid.....

:)

I don't know that you could come with 5 tools where Jason Nolf wouldn't be the obvious 5 tool wrestler.
I'll give it a shot.
1. Pushing while attempting no offense just to get a stalling call.
2. Backing out to the edge of the mat.
3. Deadlift champ.
4. Hand fighting in neutral as best offensive weapon.
5. Skip a tough match to attend a friend's wedding.

8 beats 5

If you don’t have 8 scoring wrestlers at the NCAA’s, it does not matter how many 5 tool wrestlers you have - you have no chance.

Pretty sure with some of our Illustrious visitors, we could come up with a list of 5 tools pretty quickly.;)

Now, as far as the list you started, I would use creativity as the 5th.

How many tools can we apply to one guy?

Agility and durability are separate traits, you cheater! ;)

Great list, though. It’s my favorite one so far, of the non-aalion’s-style ones.
I agree but I thought, with great agility you would be less likely to get injured?? Stretch(pun intended), I know..lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT