ADVERTISEMENT

What 2017 Sports Car Wins a quarter mile sprint?

what production car wins a quarter mile sprint

• Lexus LC500

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Alfa Romeo Biulia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mercedes AMG GTR

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • McLaren 570 GT

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Ferrari 488 GTB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tesla Model S P100D

Votes: 60 60.0%
  • Porsche 911 Turbo S

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Nissan GTR

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Chevy Camero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chevy Corvette

Votes: 9 9.0%

• Total voters
HA! Was not sure of whom it was on this board :) alas that pic should have been an obvious trigger!!

Was watching some awesome Jacky Ickx footage on youtube a few months ago and was trying to remember which BWI poster it was who had the sportscar pedigree :)

Jacky was amazing driver. Fearless in everything. Many people don't realize he won the Paris-Dakar rally in what is known today as the Porsche 959.

Reactions: massimoManca II
No longer in production. Wasn't part of the main test. Would be the equivalent of lining up an f40.

Magazine racing... It will never run that time on a public road since the surface isn't prepped and you won't be running the skinny front tires. It won't smoke a gt350 around laguna seca. They had a hellcat in this test a few years ago. Was middle of the pack. I've been in 1000+ whp hellcats, they're fun in a straight line and I love the demon. I wouldn't take it to a HPDE however.

It's a fair point. I do half mile races a few times a year and its just interesting watching teslas jump out to big leads and end up getting passed well before the finish line. It's also smart of tesla to optimize the car for the unit of measure most magazines use.

But the 1/4 mile drag race in the video is part of the "best drivers car" comparison test that motor trend does. The only cars competing in the drag race are the ones competing in the full comparison (tesla excluded.)

Point being for me was the Porsche 918 Spyder really a production car? Depending on what your meaning of true production car meant. Several of the cars included here were not in my view true production cars.

Point being for me was the Porsche 918 Spyder really a production car? Depending on what your meaning of true production car meant. Several of the cars included here were not in my view true production cars.

Yes it was. You could walk into a porsche dealership and buy one. Dealers actually had trouble selling the last of the lot and you could get them below msrp. Obviously not the case anymore. What is your argument that it isn't? the 918 unit run or the price?

Yes it was. You could walk into a porsche dealership and buy one. Dealers actually had trouble selling the last of the lot and you could get them below msrp. Obviously not the case anymore. What is your argument that it isn't? the 918 unit run or the price?

My family owned a Porsche dealership so I am well aware of the 918. My point being only 918 (or 919 depending on how you count) were built and to me is not a true production run. It is a limited run of a specially designed/manufactured/ordered car. Yes anyone could order 1 at the Geneva car show but you had to willing to put up you almost $1 million up front before they built the car. To me 918 vehicles is not a production run car, that will continually evolve each year with new updates on it. I am not sure what car/model you are thinking of but the 918's sold out immediately. None sat on any dealers lot and were specially delivered to the buyers. 1 helluva of investment today people that paid almost $1 million dollars for this car originally, today are selling for $1.7-2 million dollars. Great return on your investment. The owner of the Broward Porsche dearlership has his up for sale currently for $2.3 million if you're interested.

Last edited:
My family owned a Porsche dealership so I am well aware of the 918. My point being only 918 (or 919 depending on how you count) were built and to me is not a true production run. It is a limited run of a specially designed/manufactured/ordered car. Yes anyone could order 1 at the Geneva car show but you had to willing to put up you almost $1 million up front before they built the car. To me 918 vehicles is not a production run car, that will continually evolve each year with new updates on it. I am not sure what car/model you are thinking of but the 918's sold out immediately. None sat on any dealers lot and were specially delivered to the buyers. 1 helluva of investment today people that paid almost $1 million dollars for this car originally, today are selling for $1.7-2 million dollars. Great return on your investment. The owner of the Broward Porsche dearlership has his up for sale currently for $2.3 million if you're interested.

The 918 didn't sell out immediately. Saying it did is revisionist history. A very close relative is basically a friend of the factory and turned down multiple opportunities to purchase one under msrp. I won't name the dealer but he was called multiple times to see if he would be interested in their slot. They weren't sitting on lots but they still had to sell the car before they could build it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-porsche-918-spyder-first-drive-review

"Before you start complaining that the 918 is too expensive, consider this: At a starting price of $847,975, it actually represents a saving of about a half-million bucks compared with its Ferrari and McLaren contemporaries. Those two, though, at 950 and 907 horsepower and each about 3300 pounds, have the potential to best even the 918’s astounding Nürburgring record. Those two are also sold out—the Ferrari before the public even knew anything about it. Porsche, on the other hand, still has about half its 918-unit 918 production run available."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/low-porsche-918-sales-might-spawn-a-four-door-version/

"The Porsche 918 hybrid supercar took more brainpower and money to build than Porsche had originally fathomed. Luckily for Porsche, though, the 918 is selling like hotcakes. Oh I’m sorry. I was thinking of the Ferrari LaFerrari. No, the 918 isn’t selling well at all."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/porsche-confirms-918-spyder-sold-out
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/...lls-out-and-porsche-contemplates-a-successor/

March 2011-November 2014 is not how I'd define sold out immediately.

There are lots of cars that are low volume and don't continually evolve. BMW 1M for example. 1 year- 700 cars- 55k msrp. That's a production car and no one would argue it isnt. 918 improved on the carrera gt there will be something that improves upon it.

Last edited:
The 918 didn't sell out immediately. Saying it did is revisionist history. A very close relative is basically a friend of the factory and turned down multiple opportunities to purchase one under msrp. I won't name the dealer but he was called multiple times to see if he would be interested in their slot. They weren't sitting on lots but they still had to sell the car before they could build it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-porsche-918-spyder-first-drive-review

"Before you start complaining that the 918 is too expensive, consider this: At a starting price of $847,975, it actually represents a saving of about a half-million bucks compared with its Ferrari and McLaren contemporaries. Those two, though, at 950 and 907 horsepower and each about 3300 pounds, have the potential to best even the 918’s astounding Nürburgring record. Those two are also sold out—the Ferrari before the public even knew anything about it. Porsche, on the other hand, still has about half its 918-unit 918 production run available."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/low-porsche-918-sales-might-spawn-a-four-door-version/

"The Porsche 918 hybrid supercar took more brainpower and money to build than Porsche had originally fathomed. Luckily for Porsche, though, the 918 is selling like hotcakes. Oh I’m sorry. I was thinking of the Ferrari LaFerrari. No, the 918 isn’t selling well at all."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/porsche-confirms-918-spyder-sold-out
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/...lls-out-and-porsche-contemplates-a-successor/

March 2011-November 2014 is not how I'd define sold out immediately.

There are lots of cars that are low volume and don't continually evolve. BMW 1M for example. 1 year- 700 cars- 55k msrp. That's a production car and no one would argue it isnt. 918 improved on the carrera gt there will be something that improves upon it.
dear lord ok you win ... not going to argue semantics about cars that were not involved in this test on a football message board... yeesh

I voted for the 911 but if I had to put money on it I would have said Tesla because we know the electric motor creates immediate torque. But let's ask an important real life question. Which car is fastest getting you from Denver to Las Vegas?

dear lord ok you win ... not going to argue semantics about cars that were not involved in this test on a football message board... yeesh

Then don't claim the car sold out immediately in Geneva when it was actually available for over 3 years because you "own" a Porsche dealership :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT