ADVERTISEMENT

What 2017 Sports Car Wins a quarter mile sprint?

what production car wins a quarter mile sprint

• Lexus LC500

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Alfa Romeo Biulia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mercedes AMG GTR

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • McLaren 570 GT

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Ferrari 488 GTB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tesla Model S P100D

Votes: 60 60.0%
  • Porsche 911 Turbo S

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Nissan GTR

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • Chevy Camero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chevy Corvette

Votes: 9 9.0%

• Total voters
Meh. The tesla falls flat on its face after the 1/4. Pretty much everything would catch up and pass it in a half mile drag race. Don't get why they don't up the distance for these given the fact that they have an entire runway to play with.

Meh. The tesla falls flat on its face after the 1/4. Pretty much everything would catch up and pass it in a half mile drag race. Don't get why they don't up the distance for these given the fact that they have an entire runway to play with.

They do state that. They say the Tesla's acceleration, due to its electric engine, is superior but that the Porsche and Ferrari were gaining and would have passed the T shortly.

post your vote then watch the video of the race here.
Great clip, but what I found more interesting is that the "sponsors" chose to run a Vette Gran Sport instead of a ZO6, which would have completely embarrassed their European-laden lineup.

That said...the Ferrari, McClaren, Mercedes or Porsche would draw better chicks than anything else, including the "electric car"

Last edited:
They do state that. They say the Tesla's acceleration, due to its electric engine, is superior but that the Porsche and Ferrari were gaining and would have passed the T shortly.

The Ferrari is going a full 10mph faster at the 1/4mile. The Porsche, Nissan, Mclaren, and benz all trap faster speeds as well. The Aston and Camaro are just off a hair off the pace. Would be interesting of Tesla brought an updated version of the roadster back consider it weighed about the same as a wet dog.

The Ferrari is going a full 10mph faster at the 1/4mile. The Porsche, Nissan, Mclaren, and benz all trap faster speeds as well. The Aston and Camaro are just off a hair off the pace. Would be interesting of Tesla brought an updated version of the roadster back consider it weighed about the same as a wet dog.

I am surprised at the incredible amount of acceleration to Porsche has at 50, 60, 70 and 80 MPH. It hasn't been that great from a dead stop to 25 mph, but when it hits 25 mph, it giddies up. 0 to 60 is supposed to be around 4.5 seconds.

I am surprised at the incredible amount of acceleration to Porsche has at 50, 60, 70 and 80 MPH. It hasn't been that great from a dead stop to 25 mph, but when it hits 25 mph, it giddies up. 0 to 60 is supposed to be around 4.5 seconds.

Where'd you see 4.5? The turbo s has been clocked at 2.5 0-60. The Cayman s 3.9. My VW does 0-60 in about 4.5. God bless modern technology.

Reactions: Zenophile
So, no Hellcat or Demon at the table?

It's a drag race between cars from the ultimate drivers car test. Hellcat and demon are one trick ponies and didn't make the cut for the main test. Neither did the tesla, but that's why they aren't included. Demon would be interesting on an unprepped surface. Would be a giant cloud of smoke and not a whole lot of forward momentum off the line.

It's a drag race between cars from the ultimate drivers car test. Hellcat and demon are one trick ponies and didn't make the cut for the main test. Neither did the tesla, but that's why they aren't included. Demon would be interesting on an unprepped surface. Would be a giant cloud of smoke and not a whole lot of forward momentum off the line.
The title of the OP was merely "what production car wins a quarter mile sprint".

interesting you say that because at the 1/4 point all 3 are over 100 mph, not many roads where you can get up to that an sustain it before the fuzz or traffic gets in the way, besides try sticking a family of 5 comfortably in any of the others. Then again whose taking the family of 5 on a half mile drag race?? I know I wont be visiting the track often with it.

Meh... they can't carry a sheet of plywood so the only thing evoked from me is an eyeroll :)

Also - calling some of those "sportscars" is like referring to Ginger Lynn and her friends actresses .

I'll argue that many of those are not "sportscars" (supercars like a Ferrari 488GTB or a McLaren IMHO are beyond the characteristcs of a sportscar-proper) nor would some be "production" cars .... supercars and hypercars are typically hand-built and certainly not "mass-produced" as the term producton car ordinarily implies....

Reactions: denniskembala
Meh... they can't carry a sheet of plywood so the only thing evoked from me is an eyeroll :)

Also - calling some of those "sportscars" is like referring to Ginger Lynn and her friends actresses .

I'll argue that many of those are not "sportscars" (supercars like a Ferrari 488GTB or a McLaren IMHO are beyond the characteristcs of a sportscar-proper) nor would some be "production" cars .... supercars and hypercars are typically hand-built and certainly not "mass-produced" as the term producton car ordinarily implies....

Agree totally.... including some of these cars why not include the Porsche 918 Spyder and see how that compares against all these cars... :)

Demon 0-60 in 2.5 seconds... beat that! You can call it a 1 trick pony, but it will smoke any Mustang put on the road - out the door from the dealer, and you can still modify the engine, drivetrain, and gear ratio if you want to.

In that video though, the Ferrari doesn't seem to be gaining which makes it suspect IMO.

At that top end, the Ferrari should be gaining and closing.

LdN

Demon 0-60 in 2.5 seconds... beat that! You can call it a 1 trick pony, but it will smoke any Mustang put on the road - out the door from the dealer, and you can still modify the engine, drivetrain, and gear ratio if you want to.

This^^^^

You are correct so far... the other was my uncle. :)

HA! Was not sure of whom it was on this board :) alas that pic should have been an obvious trigger!!

Was watching some awesome Jacky Ickx footage on youtube a few months ago and was trying to remember which BWI poster it was who had the sportscar pedigree :)

Reactions: bwifan
And I've seen where the Demon will do right at or just under 2.3. If the Demon is smoking them at 2.5 it would blow the doors off the Tesla in the 1/4 or 1/2 mile.

But like Midnighter said... what sense does it make... you'll lose your car when the police show up.

No doubt dodge wanted to just put a muscle car out there and its designed for the track

----------------

As Free Press autos writer Brent Snavely explains, the Demon is designed to be driven to the local drag strip - and dominate it. It's barely street legal by itself:

The Demon is designed to bring more shoppers into Dodge dealers, where they will end up looking at other cars as well. "We'll sell more Hellcats as a result of having a Demon," he said at a warehouse event here ahead of the New York Auto Show where the car was introduced. "That's just how it works."

In part, that's because the car is barely street legal. In fact, it's basically designed to be driven — rather than hauled — to the local drag strip. To save weight, Dodge removed the front passenger seat and the rear seat. Customers can still buy them as options — for $1 each.

It also consumes premium gasoline and won't run so well on regular gas. Fuel-economy figures were not provided.

So there you have it. If you want a Demon with a passenger seat and rear seating, you'll have to pony up a whole $2. (Which sounds like a pretty good deal to us if you're spending thousands on one of these things.)

------------------

Great for the Single guy who likes to track a car.

Still will take the Family Sedan at 2.6ish anyday(family weight and luggage included)

No doubt dodge wanted to just put a muscle car out there and its designed for the track

----------------

As Free Press autos writer Brent Snavely explains, the Demon is designed to be driven to the local drag strip - and dominate it. It's barely street legal by itself:

The Demon is designed to bring more shoppers into Dodge dealers, where they will end up looking at other cars as well. "We'll sell more Hellcats as a result of having a Demon," he said at a warehouse event here ahead of the New York Auto Show where the car was introduced. "That's just how it works."

In part, that's because the car is barely street legal. In fact, it's basically designed to be driven — rather than hauled — to the local drag strip. To save weight, Dodge removed the front passenger seat and the rear seat. Customers can still buy them as options — for $1 each.

It also consumes premium gasoline and won't run so well on regular gas. Fuel-economy figures were not provided.

So there you have it. If you want a Demon with a passenger seat and rear seating, you'll have to pony up a whole $2. (Which sounds like a pretty good deal to us if you're spending thousands on one of these things.)

------------------

Great for the Single guy who likes to track a car.

Still will take the Family Sedan at 2.6ish anyday(family weight and luggage included)

Agreed - if you are buying a Demon, you aren't buying it to haul the kids to daycare, go to the grocery store, or take a cross-country trip... at least I hope not!

Agree totally.... including some of these cars why not include the Porsche 918 Spyder and see how that compares against all these cars... :)

No longer in production. Wasn't part of the main test. Would be the equivalent of lining up an f40.

Magazine racing... It will never run that time on a public road since the surface isn't prepped and you won't be running the skinny front tires. It won't smoke a gt350 around laguna seca. They had a hellcat in this test a few years ago. Was middle of the pack. I've been in 1000+ whp hellcats, they're fun in a straight line and I love the demon. I wouldn't take it to a HPDE however.

interesting you say that because at the 1/4 point all 3 are over 100 mph, not many roads where you can get up to that an sustain it before the fuzz or traffic gets in the way, besides try sticking a family of 5 comfortably in any of the others. Then again whose taking the family of 5 on a half mile drag race?? I know I wont be visiting the track often with it.

It's a fair point. I do half mile races a few times a year and its just interesting watching teslas jump out to big leads and end up getting passed well before the finish line. It's also smart of tesla to optimize the car for the unit of measure most magazines use.

The title of the OP was merely "what production car wins a quarter mile sprint".

But the 1/4 mile drag race in the video is part of the "best drivers car" comparison test that motor trend does. The only cars competing in the drag race are the ones competing in the full comparison (tesla excluded.)

Agreed - if you are buying a Demon, you aren't buying it to haul the kids to daycare, go to the grocery store, or take a cross-country trip... at least I hope not!
Same is true for nearly every car on the list above...

Same is true for nearly every car on the list above...

The odd thing is that you can take a demon to the store, pick up the kids, and drive a fairly long distance in. it will seat 4 adults easy as long as you get the $2 seats. Half the cars on the list only fit 2 people. The challenger actually has a pretty roomy back seat area. Only hard part is getting to it but once back there it is roomy

edit: you would need actual tires for the road trip though. The new wide tire hellcat would be the better "all around car" though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT