ADVERTISEMENT

Weather

wilbury

Feb 19, 2005
Forecast now looks really bad. Heavy rain and wind all day. Not a good tailgating day, white out will be nonexistent and game could be low scoring.

Not looking good at all. Over an inch of rain between sat and sun in State College from a coastal (possibly “subtropical”) storm. I hope it stays east out to sea. Bad weather often creates unpredictable results that will not occur in normal weather. This could seriously impact our season.

Forecast now looks really bad. Heavy rain and wind all day. Not a good tailgating day, white out will be nonexistent and game could be low scoring.

Weather Underground is all over the map with a low-confidence forecast as of this morning.

Their latest calls for a 50% chance of "showers" during the day, increasing to a 60% chance of a steadier rainfall during the evening hours.

Meanwhile, the spread has inched up to 15 points, so bettors don't seem too concerned...yet.

I'd hate to see weather become a factor, but I don't think rain is going to save Iowa.

Hard rain definitely adds an unpredictability factor but PSU built for bad whether better than they've been in the past. They should match up pretty well with Iowa at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Weather Underground is all over the map with a low-confidence forecast as of this morning.

Their latest calls for a 50% chance of "showers" during the day, increasing to a 60% chance of a steadier rainfall during the evening hours.

Meanwhile, the spread has inched up to 15 points, so bettors don't seem too concerned...yet.

I'd hate to see weather become a factor, but I don't think rain is going to save Iowa.
Sounds like potential for same bad weather we experienced last year during he NWestern game @ PSU. No fun.

Reactions: wilbury
I like the PSU RB's chances of making cuts and eluding defenders in the rain better than Iowa's 3rd string RB. Also, the PSU D's athleticism is most likely superior to Iowa's (although I haven't compared both teams full starting D's to be able to say that with high certainty) and that should mean advantage PSU.

However, heavy rain means some crazy weather related thing will happen (muffed snap, punt, etc) that is hard to account for. Overall I think PSU wins reasonably comfortably, but we'll know Saturday night for sure.

I like the PSU RB's chances of making cuts and eluding defenders in the rain better than Iowa's 3rd string RB. Also, the PSU D's athleticism is most likely superior to Iowa's (although I haven't compared both teams full starting D's to be able to say that with high certainty) and that should mean advantage PSU.

However, heavy rain means some crazy weather related thing will happen (muffed snap, punt, etc) that is hard to account for. Overall I think PSU wins reasonably comfortably, but we'll know Saturday night for sure.

Yup, there's a difference between "heavy rain" and just plain old rain. Heavy rain tends to be an equalizer...as in the Navy upset of Penn State in 1974, a game played in torrential rain.

Fortunately, they're not calling for conditions to be as terrible as that on Saturday evening.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Yup, there's a difference between "heavy rain" and just plain old rain. Heavy rain tends to be an equalizer...as in the Navy upset of Penn State in 1974, a game played in torrential rain.

Fortunately, they're not calling for conditions to be as terrible as that on Saturday evening.
That Navy game almost required the fleet it rained so hard!

Reactions: NedFromYork
Hard rain definitely adds an unpredictability factor but PSU built for bad whether better than they've been in the past. They should match up pretty well with Iowa at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

I'm sure Allar has played in the rain before. The staff will have the team ready for the rain. Unless Allar starts sailing passes or really struggles, it's likely business as usual.

Heavy rain and wind would likely make the staff go run heavy. Which PSU is obviously built pretty well for.

Yeah yesterday Accuweather was showing this thing getting swept out to sea but now i'm seeing models bringing it right over central PA with steady winds from the east and highs in the 50's.

Reactions: tlbakernc
This is not what I am seeing at all.

NOAA forecast has moderate winds (10 mph max no gusts)
37% chance of rain most of the afternoon/evening, but only less than a tenth of an inch of precip expected.

Not looking good at all. Over an inch of rain between sat and sun in State College from a coastal (possibly “subtropical”) storm. I hope it stays east out to sea. Bad weather often creates unpredictable results that will not occur in normal weather. This could seriously impact our season.
No, this isn't what the best forecasters are saying. Less than half an inch total.

Reactions: Jerry
Dart-forecast-meme.jpg

According to this model (GFS) animation, light rain starts at about 6 p.m. and continues through the entire game with a total accumulation of about 0.1 inches, heavier rains start after the game is over. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Seems like a really interesting website, most of it is only available by subscription, but this model is free.

No, this isn't what the best forecasters are saying. Less than half an inch total.
I hope you’re right, but that’s not what I’m seeing. The cutoff is supposed to be pretty extreme east to west from a lot of rain to barely any. The storms can move 25 to 50 miles either way completely changing the situation.

Is a quarter inch of rain "heavy"? And why is our fan base freaking out over a Big Ten team they apparently feel can't function in the rain? If so, then we picked the wrong way to build a team in Central Pennsylvania.

Oh by the way, Northwestern also turned it over 4 times and slipped and fell on a qb sneak at the 1.

Reactions: Thomas1945
Just hope we don't have a replay of the Iowa-PSU whiteout game in 2009 (I think that was the year). PSU highly ranked........rain all day and cold......the white out crowd never seemed to be a factor, and Iowa won. I'm confident of a reversal of that disappointing game, but always hate when I hear it's going to rain for a whiteout.

Is a quarter inch of rain "heavy"? And why is our fan base freaking out over a Big Ten team they apparently feel can't function in the rain? If so, then we picked the wrong way to build a team in Central Pennsylvania.

Oh by the way, Northwestern also turned it over 4 times and slipped and fell on a qb sneak at the 1.
Rain is the great equalizer and the forecast is all over the place with just 25-50 miles either way being all the difference.

Reactions: Obliviax

Weather 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, a nd by opposing end them?”

• Wow
Reactions: step.eng69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT