ADVERTISEMENT

Wearing a mask while hiking

I do some hiking here in Florida. When I see other hikers approach I step off the trail and allow them 6 ft or more as they pass. Most are grateful and say thanks as they walk by.

I'm now hiking the North Country Trail. I go out on most Thursdays for a 4 hour hike. I do not wear a masks, that is why I'm hiking in nowheresville. If I encounter anyone I get the hell off the trail and let them pass. My last two hikes totalled 8 1/2 hours. I saw no one. My goal is to see how far I get by a once a week hike for approximately 4 hours. Started at the Ohio line in May and today I finished in Butler County's West Sunbury. My goal is to hit Cooks Forest. I waste a lot of time hiking out and back to my car.

When Im in doors ( except home) I always mask up. I want to be considerate.

I know that wearing a mask is uncomfortable, tiring, and might leave some feeling exerted or lightheaded. I’ve never denied that and can understand that from personal experience. However, it isn’t true that the reason is that they block oxygen. I appreciate that you are open minded to challenge what you believed. That seems more and more rare these days but increasingly valuable.

I find my breathing pattern changes with a mask as I tend to exhale more deeply to push warm air away. Breathing deeply or with more exertion can cause lightheadedness. Part of the reason is that deeply exhaling removes more carbon dioxide from your system which can result in dilation of blood vessels in extremities and a decrease in blood pH. A lower blood pH also causes hemoglobin to bind oxygen more tightly thus making it harder for cells to exchange. Both might make it seem like you are oxygen deprived but it isn’t because you are breathing in less oxygen. In fact, the theory behind breathing in a paper bag when hyperventilating is to rebreathe exhaled air with carbon dioxide to restore normal carbon dioxide levels. Exercise or heavy exertion will lead to deeper exhaling so you’d probably feel lightheaded wearing a mask in those conditions.

I sympathize with anyone wearing them for long periods.
Much appreciated explanation!

Reactions: PearlSUJam
Maybe the type of masks make a difference?
I wear a mask 10+ hours a day. but its either the disposable blue masks or ones someone made me. At first it was a PIA but after I got used to it I am fine. Only problem is I work in a kind of loud environment with presses and its kind of hard to hear.
I've been using a gaiter to bike with for the last 3 years. (dust, pollen pre-covid) and It doesn't bother me at all and helps in keeping me cool.
Yes, the hearing (inability to see words formed by mouth) is a pita. Ditto facial expressions (you make a joke without the facial cues and all hell breaks loose... sorta lol).

Yeah, I thought I made it clear in my first response to you that I don't know her medical history. Why/how would I know it?

Either way, it's irrelevant, so 1) I don't understand why you're bringing it up; and 2) I don't understand you're strange way of communicating it (i.e. "Did you see the part where he talked about her medical history" when he apparently never did talk about it).

And regarding shaking heads (what my op on this thread was about), I responded to this:
"And you didn't mask up for her when you passed her? And you think YOU are the ones who should be "shaking their heads"?"

The implication there being that someone should be shaking their head at the OP for not wearing his mask (or put his mask up) outside -- on a hiking trail.

Unless science has changed in the last few weeks -- pretty sure it hasn't -- negatively judging (shaking head at) the OP for not wearing a mask while outside on a hiking trail is like judging him for not eating french toast for breakfast.
It was quite the opposite. Chick passed by wearing a mask. WHO THE EF SHOULD CARE IF SHE IS WEARING A MASK?

Last edited:
Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Much appreciated explanation!
I got into an emergency situation at work not long after Bi-lateral pneumonia and the start of this pandemic where I had to wear a mask and run a chain saw for an hour in extreme humidity. Effff that. I need as raise.

UFB we’re still talking about this. It would have made just as much sense to have spent three days discussing the color of her socks.

Perhaps the color of her socks would provide some insight to her motives for wearing a mask.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
UFB we’re still talking about this. It would have made just as much sense to have spent three days discussing the color of her socks.
Well, we have some people that keep asking the same questions that have already been answered.

Change it to undies and I'm in (so to speak).
ee884016d188137ba569a20bbf50dff4

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT