ADVERTISEMENT

Wearing a mask while hiking

Air Force 1

May 29, 2002
Smithsburg, MD
So the wife our dog an I were out hiking on the Appalachian Trail last weekend and passed a 20 something female hiking by herself wearing a mask. My wife and I looked at her and shook our heads after she passed us. We had been on the trail for about 5 and a half hours and only saw 3 other hikers. I do believe there are to many out there living in fear.

it’s almost as crazy as passing someone who is alone in their car wearing a mask. Sometimes I wonder if they sleep in the mask also.

So the wife our dog an I were out hiking on the Appalachian Trail last weekend and passed a 20 something female hiking by herself wearing a mask. My wife and I looked at her and shook our heads after she passed us. We had been on the trail for about 5 and a half hours and only saw 3 other hikers. I do believe there are to many out there living in fear.

it’s almost as crazy as passing someone who is alone in their car wearing a mask. Sometimes I wonder if they sleep in the mask also.

I dont get the driving with a mask on? I've seen drivers wearing latex gloves as well.

And her personal decision bothers you....why?

Why does it bother you all so much what people choose to do? The last time I checked, adults can make their own decisions as long as it isn’t affecting you. As a first responder who is exposed to this shit on a daily basis, I applaud people who care enough to take simple precautions like wearing a mask. You are all welcome to come jump on the ambulance with me the next time I respond to the nursing home that has about 100 people infected right now and then maybe you will appreciate the people that do what they can to curb the spread as well.

Is it possible she pulled her mask up as she saw or heard you approach? I’ve seen lots of hikers do that.

Why does it bother you all so much what people choose to do? The last time I checked, adults can make their own decisions as long as it isn’t affecting you. As a first responder who is exposed to this shit in a daily basis, I applaud people who care enough to take simple precautions like wearing a mask. You are all welcome to come jump on the ambulance with me the next time I respond to the nursing home that has about 100 people infected right now and then maybe you will appreciate the people that do what they can to curb the spread as well.
It’s because he has made the decision that he can dictate other people’s personal choices. After all he “knows better”

It's sort of like wearing a motorcycle helmet around the house all day. Then going for a motorcycle ride in the evening o_O

Why does it bother you all so much what people choose to do? The last time I checked, adults can make their own decisions as long as it isn’t affecting you. As a first responder who is exposed to this shit on a daily basis, I applaud people who care enough to take simple precautions like wearing a mask. You are all welcome to come jump on the ambulance with me the next time I respond to the nursing home that has about 100 people infected right now and then maybe you will appreciate the people that do what they can to curb the spread as well.
Quite a leap from seeing 3 people in over 5 hours to being around 100 infected people in 5 minutes. For some reason they don't seem to equate to each other.

Oh good grief. Your post is why some of us push back against what other people choose to do. Because what other people choose to do soon becomes the norm. And the norm soon becomes a government mandate. Equating hiking alone on the Appalachian Trail with being in a nursing home is pure silliness. And I trust you know this. Why can't someone believe that if you're in a nursing home you should wear a mask while at the same time believe that wearing a mask while hiking is super dumb? Why is it seemingly one extreme or the other?

You guys are acting like wearing a mask is this ridiculous thing. Its a mask, who cares if someone wants to wear one when hiking by themselves, driving, or wherever. I would rather someone wear one at all times than never wear one.

Its also possible that the person only put it on when they saw you walking in their direction, then took it off after you passed.

You guys are acting like wearing a mask is this ridiculous thing. Its a mask, who cares if someone wants to wear one when hiking by themselves, driving, or wherever. I would rather someone wear one at all times than never wear one.

Its also possible that the person only put it on when they saw you walking in their direction, then took it off after you passed.
Thank you.

I always wear a mask where required, but are you saying you support wearing a mask in your house?

Reactions: psualt
Just my .02, obviously it is each person's personal decision and I don't believe Air Force was suggesting she not be permitted to wear a mask. But IMO one of the "problems" we have had with the virus is the inability to put it in context and truly rely on science. What does science say about wearing a mask? The CDC says if we can social distance and remain 6 feet apart then there is no reason to wear a mask. But because of hysteria, some feel they must wear it all the time, even when they are 6 feet apart and even when there is no other person anywhere in sight. In turn this mindset creeps into policy and practice and we begin enacting policies that are not based on science but fear. Just my .02 to begin the day.

Again, just wondering why someone’s personal decision that has no bearing on anyone else whatsoever bothers you so much? I don’t think I read anywhere in the OPs story where he said the hiker forced him to where a mask, yet he took offense to the hikers decisions to wear a mask.

I agree. I'm a runner. I do about 30 miles per week. Usually go very early in morning to avoid Sun & heat. I'll see an occasional runner/walker/biker out on the trails that early. Some will be wearing masks. Ridiculous.

I joke and say that some people think this coronavirus is like "Sharknado", and the coronavirus will just fly thru the air and attack you like a flying shark.

IMO, it's the perfect example of people being overly spooked. I think those people watch too much news and are so spooked they are wearing masks while isolated in the mountains.

Actually, you do overreact. You're just to arrogant to realize it.
I may be arrogant, but not about the way I react. It's because I am better than you.

But, I am also correct in this matter.

1. I responded to AF1's post with a simple question - which, to this moment, he has not yet answered.
2. I basis of my question was predicated on personal choices, which the young lady has as much a right to as anyone else.
3. AF1 could have simply asked the young lady why she chose to wear a mask while hiking - and she could have responded. But, rather than ask her, he chose to post his thoughts and opinions on this board, opening him up to commentary from anyone who has registered to be on this board.

So....yeah. I did not overreact. I asked a simple question. But clearly, you did not understand it, and chose to address me rather than the question itself.

And let me reiterate - I am better than you.

So let me follow up to my original post

Why did you not simply ask her why she was wearing a mask while she was hiking? Would that have been a burden to you?

4bvui5.jpg

I may be arrogant, but not about the way I react. It's because I am better than you.

But, I am also correct in this matter.

1. I responded to AF1's post with a simple question - which, to this moment, he has not yet answered.
2. I basis of my question was predicated on personal choices, which the young lady has as much a right to as anyone else.
3. AF1 could have simply asked the young lady why she chose to wear a mask while hiking - and she could have responded. But, rather than ask her, he chose to post his thoughts and opinions on this board, opening him up to commentary from anyone who has registered to be on this board.

So....yeah. I did not overreact. I asked a simple question. But clearly, you did not understand it, and chose to address me rather than the question itself.

And let me reiterate - I am better than you.

Yes, you're still overreacting and showing your arrogance!

Again, just wondering why someone’s personal decision that has no bearing on anyone else whatsoever bothers you so much? I don’t think I read anywhere in the OPs story where he said the hiker forced him to where a mask, yet he took offense to the hikers decisions to wear a mask.
I think Ceasar answered that in his post above...we have enough fear mongering going on out there as it is....it doesn’t help when people go over the top with the mask wearing.

Its very possible she heard you and your wife and pulled her mask up.
Thats what I did when hiking trails out west, its also what the signs at most Visitors Center and some trail heads tell you to do when meeting a hiker.
You should thank her for trying to protect you and your wife instead of mocking her and others.

It’s possible she has an underlying condition but still wants to be active because she isn’t afraid to live her life. As for the mask while driving, I have commented on that many times myself. Then sometimes I get halfway home and notice that I’m still wearing my mask because I forgot to take it off.

She is wearing the mask to protect you, you know.

Who knows. She may have been compromised in some way. its her choice. I've got no problem with it.

In the meantime, while waiting to cross the street Saturday, a guy rode by me on a harley wearing a full "Grinch" outfit from the top of his head to his toes.

ADVERTISEMENT