ADVERTISEMENT

Wearing a mask while hiking

This doesn’t have to be a mask vs no mask debate. My simple question to the OP and anyone else in this thread is why do you care what other people do? If someone is wearing a mask in their car, in their house or anywhere else why is that any of your business? Why judge them? Why do you feel the need to “look at them and shake your head”? You do you and let them do them!!
Asked and answered.

Wait a dang gum second!!! The OP stated he saw a "20 something female" on a trail wearing a mask and there are NO pictures!!! Doesn't this constitute a flag???!!!! Some people are off their game without any football:D:eek::cool:
Exactly! Actually, it was pretty damn rude of her to wear that mask. The poor folks couldn’t tell if she was hot or not.

We do the same, but take a mask as well. In our area, and I would think the AP trail, there are places where one cannot distance themselves. So we pull up the mask when necessary.

All of this said, I think the 6 foot rule is kind of silly. Ever have a woman in heavy perfume walk by? A cigarette smoker? You can breath their air much further than 6 feet, especially outside with a breeze that might not even be noticeable.

I agree the 6 foot rule is silly. The 6 foot rule applies for most coughs. A sneeze can travel 27 feet. Just talking to someone it could travel 4 feet.

I am one of 2 individuals at my work that wears mask inside. This is a small company. His wife's aunt died from COVID-19 so I am not sure if that is the reason why he is extra cautious. I wear a mask whenever I am around people because I am around my parents all the time so I take the extra precautions to keep it from them.

Wearing a mask doing yard work actually makes sense to me. One of the masks I wear target audience was actually people who have allergies especially when they mowed the grass before COVID-19. The only time I have ever worn a mask in my yard was when I was working early one morning and little bugs kept flying around my face and up my nose so I pulled up my gaiter that I originally put on because I was expecting a UPS package. Once you get use to wearing a gaiter, you don't even notice you have it on.

The fact that it bothered them is idiotic...so much so he posted about it here. Someone wearing a mask right now is not some odd thing as you DON'T know their MEDICAL history or reasoning. It's a f--king idiotic thing to gripe about....plain and simple. How the f--k does that impact someones life....I'm shaking my head at him and his wife right now.
So now your ripping him for posting something here you think is stupid - we better remove about 90% of the posts these days here because I think are stupid or are you the only one allowed to tell us what is stupid.

Reactions: Sullivan
So now your ripping him for posting something here you think is stupid - we better remove about 90% of the posts these days here because I think are stupid or are you the only one allowed to tell us what is stupid.
Easy test....if LaJolla agrees with it, it’s stupid.

Reactions: Sullivan and Madsol
Uncle Will probably hasn’t left his basement, or is it his mommy’s basement?
Actually unclewill travels between NC and Colorado about every 10 days taking care of 2 businesses and 2 homes. Not to mention my mother has dead for 25 years now. You were one of the self righteous l was referring to.

Actually unclewill travels between NC and Colorado about every 10 days taking care of 2 businesses and 2 homes. Not to mention my mother has dead for 25 years now. You were one of the self righteous l was referring to.

Nah, you are the jackass claiming people wearing masks are in fear. Nothing self righteous about wearing a mask out of respect for others.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Nah, you are the jackass claiming people wearing masks are in fear. Nothing self righteous about wearing a mask out of respect for others.
Obviously you have no respect for yourself so therefore you can have none for others.

Obviously you have no respect for yourself so therefore you can have none for others.

Now you are a self righteous jackass.

Yeah, I have no respect for myself, you got me. :rolleyes:

Oh and if you are flying, you are wearing a mask.

LOL, that is rich coming from you. You're a clown and always will be. Thank goodness you were around to police gameday threads....it gave your life some purpose. It's gong to be a long fall for you.
You’re funny. If calling out dumbasses on a game day thread is policing it, then I guess I was policing them. Just like I call out your dumb ass on non game day threads.

Again, just wondering why someone’s personal decision that has no bearing on anyone else whatsoever bothers you so much? I don’t think I read anywhere in the OPs story where he said the hiker forced him to where a mask, yet he took offense to the hikers decisions to wear a mask.

No.. he took offense to the hikers reaction from not wearing a mask.

Hiked in Utah two weeks ago. In Zion narrows, you needed to have a mask or at least a buff to pull up. Cluster****.

but the best part about the trip was not having to listen to people like those on this thread bicker about it.

Maybe if we all went overboard with mask wearing, we wouldn’t have a quarter of the world’s positivities. We didn’t so here we are, no football and we are arguing about mask wearing in a football forum. Yeah 2020!

Ever think much of the world is walking around positive a-symptomatic. In other words, being positive and not even knowing it. The US conducts more tests than any other country. At this point, the US conducts more tests than most other countries combined. By logic. More tests will = more positives. Perfect example is back in July when college football teams began to report back to camps. What did we have, like 23 players from U Texas, 30+ players from LSU, 15 players from Clemson ... all reported to camp feeling perfectly healthy and ready to begin football practice ... and were told they were positive. All of those guys were a-symptomatic.

Besides the US conducting so many more tests than any other country. Let's also factor in that not all other countries are 100% transparent with their reporting data. You think we are getting accurate data from Iran, Pakistan, N. Korea, China, Russia... Based on finding 77 false positives from NFL players, we can not even trust the data out of New Jersey.

Reactions: BoulderFish
Ever think much of the world is walking around positive a-symptomatic. In other words, being positive and not even knowing it. The US conducts more tests than any other country. At this point, the US conducts more tests than most other countries combined. By logic. More tests will = more positives. Perfect example is back in July when college football teams began to report back to camps. What did we have, like 23 players from U Texas, 30+ players from LSU, 15 players from Clemson ... all reported to camp feeling perfectly healthy and ready to begin football practice ... and were told they were positive. All of those guys were a-symptomatic.

Besides the US conducting so many more tests than any other country. Let's also factor in that not all other countries are 100% transparent with their reporting data. You think we are getting accurate data from Iran, Pakistan, N. Korea, China, Russia... Based on finding 77 false positives from NFL players, we can not even trust the data out of New Jersey.
or Florida

^^ This ^^

Apparently j4golf is on board with the "If we just test less, the virus will go away" strategy.

Can you describe to me how someone looks if they have some immune deficiency? Thanks.

Seriously, what are you talking about with this? Can't you just communicate like a regular human being? You said/asked, "Did you miss the part where he talked about her medical history?" I replied "yes, I did," and now you're asking me to describe how someone looks if they have an immune deficiency. Wut?

And again, what does her immune deficiency (or whatever - who knows?), have to do with shaking one's head at HIM for not wearing a mask on a freaking hiking trail? Outside! [That is, unless he has an uncontrollable condition where he walks up to people and sneezes and/or coughs in their faces. Then we should shake our heads at him not wearing a mask everywhere.]

Seriously, what are you talking about with this? Can't you just communicate like a regular human being? You said/asked, "Did you miss the part where he talked about her medical history?" I replied "yes, I did," and now you're asking me to describe how someone looks if they have an immune deficiency. Wut?

And again, what does her immune deficiency (or whatever - who knows?), have to do with shaking one's head at HIM for not wearing a mask on a freaking hiking trail? Outside! [That is, unless he has an uncontrollable condition where he walks up to people and sneezes and/or coughs in their faces. Then we should shake our heads at him not wearing a mask everywhere.]
So you don't know....thanks. I knew that, but was just letting you say it. Maybe you should try an read his post this time and figure out who shook their heads...it would be a start.

So you don't know....thanks. I knew that, but was just letting you say it. Maybe you should try an read his post this time and figure out who shook their heads...it would be a start.

Yeah, I thought I made it clear in my first response to you that I don't know her medical history. Why/how would I know it?

Either way, it's irrelevant, so 1) I don't understand why you're bringing it up; and 2) I don't understand you're strange way of communicating it (i.e. "Did you see the part where he talked about her medical history" when he apparently never did talk about it).

And regarding shaking heads (what my op on this thread was about), I responded to this:
"And you didn't mask up for her when you passed her? And you think YOU are the ones who should be "shaking their heads"?"

The implication there being that someone should be shaking their head at the OP for not wearing his mask (or put his mask up) outside -- on a hiking trail.

Unless science has changed in the last few weeks -- pretty sure it hasn't -- negatively judging (shaking head at) the OP for not wearing a mask while outside on a hiking trail is like judging him for not eating french toast for breakfast.

Masks cannot block oxygen or any other gas. Oxygen is around 0.3 nanometers (nm) in size while the pore size of an N95 mask is around 0.3 micrometers in size. In other words, it is 1,000 times smaller that what the mask can trap. It is as likely for a chain link fence to stop a mosquito as it is for a mask to stop oxygen. You get the same amount of oxygen with a mask as without.

Race car drivers wear fireproof balaclavas that can cover their mouth during racing and no one is claiming that their reflexes or mental acuity is affected due to oxygen deprivation. All kinds of people wear masks for long periods of time (much longer than a typical commute) without any ill effects. If what you claim would be true then surgeons, auto body paint techs, and contractors would struggle to perform their jobs.
Interestingly, i can't find any of the articles that refute that... used to be plenty on google until about 2-3 weeks ago. All I was able to find were studies (over decades) indicating that whether a surgeon wore a mask or not, the number of infections during procedures did not change (if anthing, less infections when no mask was worn). That said, most of us prefer a masked surgeon, lol. And of course no hospital is going to want to deal with the legal ramifications of going maskless.

Since I cannot find articles (pretty annoying... even more so since ithought i'd bookmarked at least 1) indicating that O2 was reduced, I can't make the argument on scientific grounds and hafta stand down. The science presented here is compelling.

And yet I'd ask you to go have a talk with someone who works retail 10 hours a day wearing mask while talking with people and climbing ladders and moving a lot of heavy boxes. I have. They talk about getting light headed. They talk about splitting headaches. And there isn't a one of them who won't tell you their breathing is impaired and they can't wait to leave their store, rip, the mask off, and breathe fresh air. So perhaps the argument isn't that O2 is reduced (or CO2 increased)... rather that breathing thru a mask while under exertion for long periods of time (for the average Joe) is significantly more difficult and grinds a person down.

Sitting at a desk, taking a stroll, probably not so much. [And if it doesn't impair breathing, why do 99% of people at the gym forgoe it as soon as they begin their workout? Is it to avoid the sweat? Or is it that breathing is simply easier? Or are we all just rebellious bastards? lol]

[Curious if anyone knows... when that person wearing a mask while driving lost consciousness and smashed up their car, all the docs were saying wearing a mask while driving was a bad idea. I'm guessing that opinion has changed? As of July, the even the CDC advised against it... so I'd ask if O2 isn't affected, why would it be an issue at all? https://downshiftmagazine.com/2020/05/why-are-you-wearing-a-mask-while-driving-alone/

More intriguing is that the great state of PA (run by Ma Kettle her...um, self) instructs you NOT to wear a mask while driving. Odd. Why not? They don't say. But enjoy the article, the memes, and the twitter piece that instructs us on proper mask usage. Ahem.]

I
Interestingly, i can't find any of the articles that refute that... used to be plenty on google until about 2-3 weeks ago. All I was able to find were studies (over decades) indicating that whether a surgeon wore a mask or not, the number of infections during procedures did not change (if anthing, less infections when no mask was worn). That said, most of us prefer a masked surgeon, lol. And of course no hospital is going to want to deal with the legal ramifications of going maskless.

Since I cannot find articles (pretty annoying... even more so since ithought i'd bookmarked at least 1) indicating that O2 was reduced, I can't make the argument on scientific grounds and hafta stand down. The science presented here is compelling.

And yet I'd ask you to go have a talk with someone who works retail 10 hours a day wearing mask while talking with people and climbing ladders and moving a lot of heavy boxes. I have. They talk about getting light headed. They talk about splitting headaches. And there isn't a one of them who won't tell you their breathing is impaired and they can't wait to leave their store, rip, the mask off, and breathe fresh air. So perhaps the argument isn't that O2 is reduced (or CO2 increased)... rather that breathing thru a mask while under exertion for long periods of time (for the average Joe) is significantly more difficult and grinds a person down.

Sitting at a desk, taking a stroll, probably not so much. [And if it doesn't impair breathing, why do 99% of people at the gym forgoe it as soon as they begin their workout? Is it to avoid the sweat? Or is it that breathing is simply easier? Or are we all just rebellious bastards? lol]

[Curious if anyone knows... when that person wearing a mask while driving lost consciousness and smashed up their car, all the docs were saying wearing a mask while driving was a bad idea. I'm guessing that opinion has changed? As of July, the even the CDC advised against it... so I'd ask if O2 isn't affected, why would it be an issue at all? https://downshiftmagazine.com/2020/05/why-are-you-wearing-a-mask-while-driving-alone/

More intriguing is that the great state of PA (run by Ma Kettle her...um, self) instructs you NOT to wear a mask while driving. Odd. Why not? They don't say. But enjoy the article, the memes, and the twitter piece that instructs us on proper mask usage. Ahem.]
I’m not an expert, but my wife wears a mask all day every day and she feels like crap quite often. Not only does she have major skin issues, she gets migraine headaches frequently, when she never got them before. She will continue to wear a mask, but people acting like it’s not big deal probably don’t wear one all day every day.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I

I’m not an expert, but my wife wears a mask all day every day and she feels like crap quite often. Not only does she have major skin issues, she gets migraine headaches frequently, when she never got them before. She will continue to wear a mask, but people acting like it’s not big deal probably don’t wear one all day every day.
Agree on that. Again, wearing one while performing light duty probably isn't so awful, although the all day thing is not easy. Add some vigor and maybe it's a lot more difficult. Just an observation.

I know that wearing a mask is uncomfortable, tiring, and might leave some feeling exerted or lightheaded. I’ve never denied that and can understand that from personal experience. However, it isn’t true that the reason is that they block oxygen. I appreciate that you are open minded to challenge what you believed. That seems more and more rare these days but increasingly valuable.

I find my breathing pattern changes with a mask as I tend to exhale more deeply to push warm air away. Breathing deeply or with more exertion can cause lightheadedness. Part of the reason is that deeply exhaling removes more carbon dioxide from your system which can result in dilation of blood vessels in extremities and a decrease in blood pH. A lower blood pH also causes hemoglobin to bind oxygen more tightly thus making it harder for cells to exchange. Both might make it seem like you are oxygen deprived but it isn’t because you are breathing in less oxygen. In fact, the theory behind breathing in a paper bag when hyperventilating is to rebreathe exhaled air with carbon dioxide to restore normal carbon dioxide levels. Exercise or heavy exertion will lead to deeper exhaling so you’d probably feel lightheaded wearing a mask in those conditions.

I sympathize with anyone wearing them for long periods.

Agree on that. Again, wearing one while performing light duty probably isn't so awful, although the all day thing is not easy. Add some vigor and maybe it's a lot more difficult. Just an observation.

Maybe the type of masks make a difference?
I wear a mask 10+ hours a day. but its either the disposable blue masks or ones someone made me. At first it was a PIA but after I got used to it I am fine. Only problem is I work in a kind of loud environment with presses and its kind of hard to hear.
I've been using a gaiter to bike with for the last 3 years. (dust, pollen pre-covid) and It doesn't bother me at all and helps in keeping me cool.

ADVERTISEMENT