ADVERTISEMENT

Wearing a mask while hiking

It’s possible she has an underlying condition but still wants to be active because she isn’t afraid to live her life. As for the mask while driving, I have commented on that many times myself. Then sometimes I get halfway home and notice that I’m still wearing my mask because I forgot to take it off.
Same here, or if I’m going to more than one place I’ll just leave it on in the car rather than take it off and put it back on again. Big deal, it’s a mask just wear it, be thankful to others that wear them and be done with it.

Again, just wondering why someone’s personal decision that has no bearing on anyone else whatsoever bothers you so much? I don’t think I read anywhere in the OPs story where he said the hiker forced him to where a mask, yet he took offense to the hikers decisions to wear a mask.
And tell me where it said I took offense to her wearing a mask? I stepped off the trail because I have a dog like always have done (even pre-Covid).

So the wife our dog an I were out hiking on the Appalachian Trail last weekend and passed a 20 something female hiking by herself wearing a mask. My wife and I looked at her and shook our heads after she passed us. We had been on the trail for about 5 and a half hours and only saw 3 other hikers. I do believe there are to many out there living in fear.

it’s almost as crazy as passing someone who is alone in their car wearing a mask. Sometimes I wonder if they sleep in the mask also.
And you didn't mask up for her when you passed her? And you think YOU are the ones who should be "shaking their heads"?

Reactions: 10 Years After
Maybe if we all went overboard with mask wearing, we wouldn’t have a quarter of the world’s positivities. We didn’t so here we are, no football and we are arguing about mask wearing in a football forum. Yeah 2020!

Please don’t trample on my inalienable right to get other people sick.

I have caught myself wearing a mask while driving. I was wearing a mask and just jumped in the car and started driving while not realizing that I was wearing the mask because I am so used to used to it. When I realize I am wearing the mask, I take it off. Don’t assume that somebody wearing a mask while driving is paranoid.

And her personal decision bothers you....why?
I never said it bothered me I just don't see the reason when I'm off the side of the trail with my dog as she passed by and kept going with her mask on even after passing me and down the trail. I never saw her remove it. But then again I started off in the other direction after she passed.

Just stated and observation about something

"I would rather someone wear one at all times than never wear one."

giphy.gif

Pretty much the same with Condoms. Which, obviously after reading much of these posts wasn't nearly often enough. :D

And tell me where it said I took offense to her wearing a mask? I stepped off the trail because I have a dog like always have done (even pre-Covid).

I'll highlight it for you. And he didn't say you took offense. He asked why it bothered you so much.

So the wife our dog an I were out hiking on the Appalachian Trail last weekend and passed a 20 something female hiking by herself wearing a mask. My wife and I looked at her and shook our heads after she passed us. We had been on the trail for about 5 and a half hours and only saw 3 other hikers. I do believe there are to many out there living in fear.

it’s almost as crazy as passing someone who is alone in their car wearing a mask. Sometimes I wonder if they sleep in the mask also.

It’s possible she has an underlying condition but still wants to be active because she isn’t afraid to live her life. As for the mask while driving, I have commented on that many times myself. Then sometimes I get halfway home and notice that I’m still wearing my mask because I forgot to take it off.
Agree with this and other similar posts. Hard to pass judgement without knowing her back story. Maybe she works in healthcare and has seen the effects of COVID-19 firsthand. Maybe she lost someone to the disease or knows someone who is struggling with it. Either could induce PTSD, which might lead her to be overly cautious in otherwise low risk environments. Maybe, she suffers from hypochondria. Regardless, there are a lot of legitimate reasons to roll one’s eyes at people’s behaviors...I don’t necessarily think this is one of them.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
The young lady was wearing a mask while passing someone on a trail? Maybe she’s just a very courteous and considerate person who wants others to feel safe around her.

I’ve gone in stores and forgotten to take off my mask when I got in my car. It doesn’t bother me so I forget it’s on. I’m sure others have done the same. I’ve also gotten back from long bicycle rides and have walked around my house for a bit before remembering to remove my bike helmet.

Some of you folks turn the most innocent of things into an inquisition.

it was outside and you don't really need to mask up if you are six feet or more apart.
but were they? there are lots of places on the trail where it's tight- he seems to have been close enough to observe and mock her behavior

And exactly why would I do that? Are you saying you would always ask someone why they are doing something?

You are the one who made the comment about her mask. Clearly, you are the one who is either offended/upset or quizzical.

If I were in that situation and cared about why she was wearing a mask, I would have asked. You should have also - because you could have found out why and been informed, rather than just passing judgment on her by posting this scenario on this board.

How hard is it do this:

"Hey miss, why are you wearing a mask outside while hiking?"

See - not so hard. :rolleyes:

but were they? there are lots of places on the trail where it's tight- he seems to have been close enough to observe and mock her behavior
OP isn't clear but he does say he moved to the side because he had a dog.

I never said it bothered me I just don't see the reason when I'm off the side of the trail with my dog as she passed by and kept going with her mask on even after passing me and down the trail. I never saw her remove it. But then again I started off in the other direction after she passed.

Just stated and observation about something

You know how the interwebs work. You shared an observation (big mistake). We are now obligated to tear you down, even though we really don’t care about your observation and any potential implications and despite the fact that we don’t believe a word of what we writing back to you. We simply must tear you down so we can get through our miserable day by convincing ourselves that we are better than you.

You suck. Man, I feel good about myself.

You are the one who made the comment about her mask. Clearly, you are the one who is either offended/upset or quizzical.

If I were in that situation and cared about why she was wearing a mask, I would have asked. You should have also - because you could have found out why and been informed, rather than just passing judgment on her by posting this scenario on this board.

How hard is it do this:

"Hey miss, why are you wearing a mask outside while hiking?"

See - not so hard. :rolleyes:
Why the hell would you ask somebody that question though? What an odd conversation that would be.

Reactions: Pecolion
After months of mental conditioning, she probably lives under the assumption that she will die without having it on.

Even though they do absolutely nothing people wear them as their security blanket. Deep down they really know how worthless they are but it makes them feel "safer" in the short term.

Why the hell would you ask somebody that question though? What an odd conversation that would be.
I wouldn't. Because I wouldn't care enough to think about it. For the most part, I don't care enough about people to ask these types of questions.

But, the OP certainly thought enough about it to bring it to the attention of this board, so it clearly it was something that he cares enough about - so he should have queried the young lady to gain information on her choice, and that way he would have gotten an answer from the source.

It's not that complicated.

But there is no reason for her not to either. It's not mandatory to NOT wear a mask outside.
It's her decision. Not anyone else's.

Because you know - Constitutional Rights and all. :rolleyes:
Agree. It is her choice. As I stated, I've got no problem with her wearing her mask and wear mine when appropriate as well.

The CDC does suggest you not wear a mask if it restricts air passage if exerting oneself though.

I wouldn't. Because I wouldn't care enough to think about it. For the most part, I don't care enough about people to ask these types of questions.

But, the OP certainly thought enough about it to bring it to the attention of this board, so it clearly it was something that he cares enough about - so he should have queried the young lady to gain information on her choice, and that way he would have gotten an answer from the source.

It's not that complicated.
He shouldn’t have queried the young lady about it. Last thing people want an a lowly populated hiking trail is some stranger walking up to them asking them why they are wearing a mask. I’m guessing the young lady that was prepared enough to wear a mask on the trail probably also has some mace handy and would using that before answering the question from the creepy hiking guy.

I dont get the driving with a mask on? I've seen drivers wearing latex gloves as well.
I have done this on occasion when I'm out running errands and I'm in the car for like 5 minutes between stops. Sometimes I just forget to take it off, sometimes I'm just lazy and leave it on between stops.

There's a middle-aged woman (no pics) that jogs with a mask and gloves on. I (for fear of being harmed) would never stop and ask her why. I keep my distance.

Or she could be doing it because she feels a duty to and actually knows there is really no danger.
Or maybe she had it on and just forgot she had it on.

I mean, I wouldn't do either but who knows. I keep mine with me and pop it on if I see someone coming near.

I like dogs- it's people I have an issue with

Good point. Maybe she saw the dog and wanted to protect it from the virus.

This conversation is stupid. But in a train wreck sort of way, it's so bad I can't take my eyes off it.

If I left a store and have to drive 2 minutes down the road to another store, I often just leave it on out of convenience. I don’t care if people think I look nuts in the car.

Reactions: MJG-90
Most Saturday mornings I go on a 20 plus, sometimes 30 plus mile bike ride. I see lots of other riders and walkers on a rail trail I often take. I occasionally see other bikers wearing masks. Not many. But I see some. I don't feel it's necessary to wear a mask outdoors while moving at even a slow pace on a bike. And I don't think I've seen any hikers wearing masks. But I'm certainly not questioning their motives. They are doing it either for their own perceived protection, or yours. Either motive is fine by me.

Heck, maybe the girl in question recently tested positive but is asymptomatic and wanted to get some exercise and fresh air on a lightly traveled trail. Maybe she was doing you a favor.

Our marketing guy actually made us some of those things that look like the top of a turtleneck w/ our logo on them.

2 pending sales now from people coming up to me in my Publix. Love this thing - though I rip it off the second I'm out of the store.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT