ADVERTISEMENT

WE.ARE.DOOMED!

Could you possibly keep you whack ass shit on the test board?
Seems I am right on target.

You go get Demlion to stay on topic (heck, it's not my post, I just responded DIRECTLY to the original topic), he's the guy who is babbling on about unarmed insurrectionists.

I read something on the daily caller that 89% of the students surveyed approved of these changes.

No, the 89% refers to UVA students who voted in student council elections to remove gendered pronouns from the school's constitution. There was no vote or survey of Penn State kids.

Reactions: bison13 and ram2020
Well, some group of people in administration throughout America care about it enough to enact policies like this, even though almost all people don't agree, and even more don't care. In fact, they enact these policies even though they know (even sandy and barron aren't so stupid as to not know) everyone is against the policy.

The question is: Why? Why do the administrators/leaders do this "woke" stuff?

People who care about the country do care about this sort of thing.

Only a dumba$$ would think that is whom I was referencing.

Reactions: TheGLOV
So, since you deflect to some nonsense about the only unarmed insurrection ever to be concocted in the history of the world, I take it that I can conclude that you support the wokeness?

Or can you possibly stay on topic?
An awful lot of people got charged with armed violence for this to have been an unarmed insurrection. So when they put that cops eye out with a steel rod, or beat those other cops with flagpoles, those were not armed encounters? What Qanon law school did you attend? LOL.

Reactions: garw
An awful lot of people got charged with armed violence for this to have been an unarmed insurrection. So when they put that cops eye out with a steel rod, or beat those other cops with flagpoles, those were not armed encounters? What Qanon law school did you attend? LOL.

Nonsense. It is not an insurrection if people do not arm themselves before hand.

It is completely possible that someone might have assaulted a cop without it being an insurrection, as they allegedly did to Sicknick.

Of course, any report of such incidents must be viewed suspiciously, as they lie in one matter, and can therefore be assumed to be willing to lie in others.

Incidentally, I was way too smart for law school. LOL, fat boy.

Nonsense. It is not an insurrection if people do not arm themselves before hand.

It is completely possible that someone might have assaulted a cop without it being an insurrection, as they allegedly did to Sicknick.

Of course, any report of such incidents must be viewed suspiciously, as they lie in one matter, and can therefore be assumed to be willing to lie in others.

insurrection​

noun
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

in·sur·rec·tion | \ ˌin(t)-sə-ˈrek-shən \

Definition of insurrection

: an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government

Don't see anything there about needing a weapon to call it an insurrection

Reactions: garw

Whatever it was, it was on video and it sure as hell wasn't a high school dance.

• Haha
Reactions: step.eng69

insurrection​

noun
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

in·sur·rec·tion | \ ˌin(t)-sə-ˈrek-shən \

Definition of insurrection

: an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government

Don't see anything there about needing a weapon to call it an insurrection

You simply are not trying to revolt against the established government if you do not bring weapons.

If you do not bring weapons, then you're trying to protest against the government and get it to change it's ways via protest. Burning the American Flag, Trespassing in state capitols and universities and "sitting in", sit down strikes - all are considered forms of protest by all thinking people.

Really, it is as simple as that.

It is not required to be in the definition. They're assuming that people using their definitions are:

1. Honest.
2. Three digit IQ.

Reactions: Ski and 91Joe95
You simply are not trying to revolt against the established government if you do not bring weapons.

If you do not bring weapons, then you're trying to protest against the government and get it to change it's ways via protest. Burning the American Flag, Trespassing in state capitols and universities and "sitting in", sit down strikes - all are considered forms of protest by all thinking people.

Really, it is as simple as that.

It is not required to be in the definition. They're assuming that people using their definitions are:

1. Honest.
2. Three digit IQ.

It's funny. For months, we watched Antifa and BLM protesters burn down Federal buildings, private property, and cause Billions in damages and the death of dozens - certain people/pols encouraged it directly in official statements. These were just "mostly peaceful" protests.

In January, a couple dozen unarmed morons - purported Trump supporters - overran the airport-like security of the US Capitol, caused some damage and it's called an insurrection.
No one with any power or influence supported the event. It was universally denounced. As you correctly noted, not a single person who breached the Capitol Police security had an expectation or aspiration of taking control of the US government. It should be noted that Trump was still in office at the time so if it was an insurrection, it's unclear who they were trying to overthrow.

Doesn't matter...it's labeled an "insurrection" nonetheless.
It's complete, illogical nonsense.

I received this message in an email yesterday from Mike Regan, PA State Senator.

In the wake of the COVID pandemic, Penn State is getting swept up by the “woke” movement, coddling and bribing the young adults they are entrusted to teach and shape into future leaders. And leading the charge is the University Faculty Senate, at this long-cherished institution that receives $350 million a year of taxpayer dollars.

Last month, it was announced that the University Faculty Senate made the decision to do away with traditional terms identifying students as “freshmen,” “sophomores,” “juniors,” and “seniors.” Instead, students will be referred to as “1st years,” “2nd years” and so forth.

The basis for this change was the claim that “terms such as ‘freshman’ are decidedly male-specific, while terms such as ‘upperclassmen’ can be interpreted as both sexist and classist.” Of course, since “freshmen” is the only of the four traditional terms to have an actual male reference, they claimed that “terms such as ‘junior’ and ‘senior’ are parallel to western male father-son naming conventions”.

Imagine if a student had written a paper for a college course with such far-reaching reasons to support his or her hypothesis. Although, this is the same faculty that has a member who emailed his students last year to inform them that he would be “stepping away” from his academic responsibilities for two days as part of a “Scholar Strike” for racial injustice. These professors’ salaries are paid partially by taxpayer dollars and partially by the students who expect their professor to show up and teach them, just as they are expected to show up and learn.

As a father of a Penn State graduate, who could have chosen any other college or university but chose Penn State for its history, tradition, and excellence in academics and athletics, the direction the University is heading is concerning. From its humble beginnings as a land-grant institution in 1855, Penn State has been a pillar of Pennsylvania that many are proud of, regardless of whether they are a graduate. My pride continues, especially considering the incredible care I received at Penn State Hershey Medical Center following a recent motorcycle accident.

Unfortunately, decisions for the University seem to made by a faculty unit that is self-serving and advancing a one-sided agenda that are offending so many Pennsylvanians that don’t share the same beliefs – from students and parents to alumni and taxpayers.

The University Faculty Senate’s most recent resolution is now calling on the University to require proof of having received the COVID vaccine for all faculty, students, and staff. This negates their embrace of independent, free-thinking students. Or do they only advocate for independent thinking that is in line with their own beliefs?

Sadly, the University itself is now bribing students – and employees – with weekly prize drawings for those who show proof of being vaccinated. This includes $1000 in cash and $400 in gift cards – each week.

As a State Senator, it is difficult for me to be sympathetic to the University’s yearly budget requests for millions of your tax dollars, supposedly aimed at helping keep tuition down for students, when they are handing out cash incentives and doing exactly what they claim to be against – segregating and labeling using “classist” terms such as “vaccinated” and “unvaccinated.”

Senator Mike Regan represents Pennsylvania’s 31st Senatorial District covering parts of Cumberland and York Counties.

Last edited:
So, we've got culture war BS, anti-vax garbage, and threats to withdraw the university's appropriation if it doesn't spout Regan's preferred political beliefs.

Seems about right for someone of Regan's ilk, given his reputation.

I received this message in an email yesterday from Mike Regan, PA State Senator.

In the wake of the COVID pandemic, Penn State is getting swept up by the “woke” movement, coddling and bribing the young adults they are entrusted to teach and shape into future leaders. And leading the charge is the University Faculty Senate, at this long-cherished institution that receives $350 million a year of taxpayer dollars.

Last month, it was announced that the University Faculty Senate made the decision to do away with traditional terms identifying students as “freshmen,” “sophomores,” “juniors,” and “seniors.” Instead, students will be referred to as “1st years,” “2nd years” and so forth.

The basis for this change was the claim that “terms such as ‘freshman’ are decidedly male-specific, while terms such as ‘upperclassmen’ can be interpreted as both sexist and classist.” Of course, since “freshmen” is the only of the four traditional terms to have an actual male reference, they claimed that “terms such as ‘junior’ and ‘senior’ are parallel to western male father-son naming conventions”.

Imagine if a student had written a paper for a college course with such far-reaching reasons to support his or her hypothesis. Although, this is the same faculty that has a member who emailed his students last year to inform them that he would be “stepping away” from his academic responsibilities for two days as part of a “Scholar Strike” for racial injustice. These professors’ salaries are paid partially by taxpayer dollars and partially by the students who expect their professor to show up and teach them, just as they are expected to show up and learn.

As a father of a Penn State graduate, who could have chosen any other college or university but chose Penn State for its history, tradition, and excellence in academics and athletics, the direction the University is heading is concerning. From its humble beginnings as a land-grant institution in 1855, Penn State has been a pillar of Pennsylvania that many are proud of, regardless of whether they are a graduate. My pride continues, especially considering the incredible care I received at Penn State Hershey Medical Center following a recent motorcycle accident.

Unfortunately, decisions for the University seem to made by a faculty unit that is self-serving and advancing a one-sided agenda that are offending so many Pennsylvanians that don’t share the same beliefs – from students and parents to alumni and taxpayers.

The University Faculty Senate’s most recent resolution is now calling on the University to require proof of having received the COVID vaccine for all faculty, students, and staff. This negates their embrace of independent, free-thinking students. Or do they only advocate for independent thinking that is in line with their own beliefs?

Sadly, the University itself is now bribing students – and employees – with weekly prize drawings for those who show proof of being vaccinated. This includes $1000 in cash and $400 in gift cards – each week.

As a State Senator, it is difficult for me to be sympathetic to the University’s yearly budget requests for millions of your tax dollars, supposedly aimed at helping keep tuition down for students, when they are handing out cash incentives and doing exactly what they claim to be against – segregating and labeling using “classist” terms such as “vaccinated” and “unvaccinated.”

Senator Mike Regan represents Pennsylvania’s 31st Senatorial District covering parts of Cumberland and York Counties.

What a clown.

Reactions: nits74
Is Regan wrong with respect to Penn State’s removal of freshman, sophomore, etc.? Is he wrong with respect to vaccine prize drawings?

'Wrong' in the sense that they are factually true, or 'wrong' that his assumption of outrage is exaggerated and misplaced? For the former, no; the latter, who knows. Most Pennsylvanians probably don't give a crap. Now, does/should he have better things to do? Debatable I guess.

'Wrong' in the sense that they are factually true, or 'wrong' that his assumption of outrage is exaggerated and misplaced? For the former, no; the latter, who knows. Most Pennsylvanians probably don't give a crap. Now, does/should he have better things to do? Debatable I guess.
Well, the whole "freshmen, sophomore,.." was yet another national joke that further diminished Penn State's reputation, so there's that.

While there is some truth in his comments, he is still a clown. Many of the faculty are ignorant clowns as well. I know a buddy there that went from his BA to his masters and so on and has never been outside a university in terms of working (not that he needed to). Dude is really ignorant and clueless of the real business world, etc. Quite sad really. Many faculty are just as ignorant and live in their own world of righteousness and make believe.

Is Regan wrong with respect to Penn State’s removal of freshman, sophomore, etc.? Is he wrong with respect to vaccine prize drawings?
Sure, it seems like those things are happening. I don't think they're a problem at all - I wouldn't care either way if they changed the class names or not, but I think getting fired up over it is a sign that you're comfortable enough in your life that you're upset about what college students call themselves.

It's absolutely absurd to get upset over vaccine incentives. There's nothing wrong with incentivizing people to get vaccinated. If anything, Penn State is making a serious mistake in not requiring vaccinations for students living on campus next year, and I hope they reconsider.

Incentives send the message - Don't do what you are asked/need to do initially, eventually you'll get paid to do it. The American way, do what ever you want whenever you want, if you hit a snag we'll tax the people who were stupid enough to act responsibly and take care of you with their money....

Thanks. I figured he was correct as to what Penn State has done. Perhaps he is reacting to some OUTRAGE. o_O he has encountered, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is merely pushing his own agenda.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Sure, it seems like those things are happening. I don't think they're a problem at all - I wouldn't care either way if they changed the class names or not, but I think getting fired up over it is a sign that you're comfortable enough in your life that you're upset about what college students call themselves.

It's absolutely absurd to get upset over vaccine incentives. There's nothing wrong with incentivizing people to get vaccinated. If anything, Penn State is making a serious mistake in not requiring vaccinations for students living on campus next year, and I hope they reconsider.
I only ask this because I don't know, but does PSU require that students get any other kinds of vaccines, like a meningitis one? If not, then there's no reason why it should require students to get this particular vaccine.

Also, maybe it's apples and oranges, but I love how some people and institutions are perfectly fine with a person's right to choose when it comes to abortion, but then doesn't support a person's right to choose when it comes to a brand new vaccine for a virus from which most healthy people recover in a matter of days to weeks.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bison13

I have a big problem paying people to act responsibly, use common sense, and care about someone other than themselves.....

I only ask this because I don't know, but does PSU require that students get any other kinds of vaccines, like a meningitis one? If not, then there's no reason why it should require students to get this particular vaccine.

Also, maybe it's apples and oranges, but I love how some people and institutions are perfectly fine with a person's right to choose when it comes to abortion, but then doesn't support a person's right to choose when it comes to a brand new vaccine for a virus from which most healthy people recover in a matter of days to weeks.
Yes, all incoming degree students need to provide proof of vaccination for measles and mumps. And all students who live on campus need to also provide proof of vaccination for meningitis. Even beyond that, public K-12 schools in PA have a whole host of required vaccinations, too. So it's not like requiring vaccinations is some novel thing if you've interacted with the public education system at any point in your life.

Don't like it? There are a whole host of private schools where you can probably go that won't make you get any vaccines.

Talk about apples and oranges. As if your comparison to Covid and meningitis is not apples and oranges enough. I cannot believe 1 year in and people still cannot comprehend the difference.

Talk about apples and oranges. As if your comparison to Covid and meningitis is not apples and oranges enough. I cannot believe 1 year in and people still cannot comprehend the difference.
Is meningitis more lethal to a healthy teenager or person in his early 20s than this virus? My guess is that it is.

the issue that I see is that the professors and PSU Admin (as well as most other colleges also) are using state taxpayer money and student tuition money specifically to push their own political and social agenda. that is wrong.

the issue that I see is that the professors and PSU Admin (as well as most other colleges also) are using state taxpayer money and student tuition money specifically to push their own political and social agenda. that is wrong.
Where does that end? Is having an official university position in support of racial diversity an example of Penn State using state taxpayer and tuition money to push their political and social agenda?

Loosely related, but I encountered “she/her” after someone’s name on LinkedIn for the first time today. I understood what it was intended to convey and confirmed it through the following article from 2019:

“Well put simply, adding your pronouns (she, her, he, him, they, them, etc.) to your email signature or profile name is an easy, practical and intentional action that you can take to make inclusion part of your everyday culture.”

For f*ck’s sake. Maybe Penn State will require this next.

Loosely related, but I encountered “she/her” after someone’s name on LinkedIn for the first time today. I understood what it was intended to convey and confirmed it through the following article from 2019:

“Well put simply, adding your pronouns (she, her, he, him, they, them, etc.) to your email signature or profile name is an easy, practical and intentional action that you can take to make inclusion part of your everyday culture.”

The future doesn’t belong to us anymore Bob.

So, we've got culture war BS, anti-vax garbage, and threats to withdraw the university's appropriation if it doesn't spout Regan's preferred political beliefs.

Seems about right for someone of Regan's ilk, given his reputation.

No problem here with the vaccination requirement.

Re the "culture war BS," it's coming not from Regan but rather from the Faculty Senate: “Terms such as ‘freshman’ are decidedly male-specific, while terms such as ‘upperclassmen’ can be interpreted as both sexist and classist...terms such as ‘junior’ and ‘senior’ are parallel to western male father-son naming conventions."

"Terms such as 'junior' and 'senior' are parallel to western male father-son naming conventions."
Nope no culture war BS there. Gag.

So what exactly is the University Faculty Senate and who do they presume to speak for? The entire faculty? The administration of the school? The student body? The citizens of Pennsylvania who are forking over $350 million a year in taxpayer dollars?

I don't know Regan from Adam, and I tend to disagree with the thrust of his argument as regards vaccinations. But that aside, he raises an entirely legitimate question as to whether the citizens of the state should be required to subsidize an ideological point of view with which they disagree.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and bison13
Incidentally, I just checked, and according to the CDC, 1 in 10 who contract meningitis will die from it. Thus, that's a 10% death rate. So you tell me whether meningitis is more lethal than this virus.

Why is it a bad thing? I’d say that over half the people at my company do it. Really helps avoid an embarrassing situation where you use the wrong pronoun, especially while working with a global team.

Reactions: BringBackStoneys
Incidentally, I just checked, and according to the CDC, 1 in 10 who contract meningitis will die from it. Thus, that's a 10% death rate. So you tell me whether meningitis is more lethal than this virus.
If you contract meningitis, how many others will you give it to? There are a lot of diseases that are more lethal than Covid. I think you understand the difference, it just flies in the face of some agendas.

If you contract meningitis, how many others will you give it to? There are a lot of diseases that are more lethal than Covid. I think you understand the difference, it just flies in the face of some agendas.
I don't know, but meningitis is contagious.

Once the covid vaccine has full approval I expect the University will make it a requirement for attending classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT