ADVERTISEMENT

WE.ARE.DOOMED!

I love PSU Fb team, but honestly, I stopped caring about the crazy decisions PSU has made since 2011.. I stopped donating, I stopped voting for the BOT, I throw all mail, donation cards, alumni recruitment letters I in the trash.

I graduated in 2001 and this is not the same Penn State.

I love PSU Fb team, but honestly, I stopped caring about the crazy decisions PSU has made since 2011.. I stopped donating, I stopped voting for the BOT, I throw all mail, donation cards, alumni recruitment letters I in the trash.

I graduated in 2001 and this is not the same Penn State.
Same boat. 2000 grad. I won't donate another dime. Unless my kids get a scholarship, I am steering them toward schools down South.

I understand that language evolves over time, and I appreciate that in some cases (e.g. fireman vs firefighter) there are gender diversity issues in the work force which could (theoretically) be exacerbated by nomenclature. In other words, maybe young girls might aspire to be be firefighters at a higher rate than firemen.

Even if you subscribe to that theory, the data does not support that there is a disparity in college attendance for men vs women. In fact, for the period 2007 to 2017 (most recent stats I found), 57% of university students in the US were female.

If there is no disparity, then there is no harm being caused by the term freshmen.

Reactions: lions1995
why do you guys who even pay attention to this board if you are so antiPSU?

why do you guys who even pay attention to this board if you are so antiPSU
So are you suggesting that people don't ever question the decision of the University?

I've been on these boards since the Plot-it days in 1995, way before social media was a term. This board is social media, not a Penn State cheer group.

Reactions: Ski and bison13
I'm usually all for diversity and positive improvements of the like, but everything about AD84 is completely egregious.

why do you guys who even pay attention to this board if you are so antiPSU?
so disagreement is not allowed? I thought that was the basis for improvement through diversity. Diversity brings different points of view, some people refer to that as "disagreement". Funny how diversity only works for people that want to have singular points of view.

DeadlyBeautifulAgama-max-1mb.gif

• Love
Reactions: Ski
so disagreement is not allowed? I thought that was the basis for improvement through diversity. Diversity brings different points of view, some people refer to that as "disagreement". Funny how diversity only works for people that want to have singular points of view.

DeadlyBeautifulAgama-max-1mb.gif

Diversity and Inclusion, as long as you think the right way.

Wasn't this only a proposition\resolution passed by the Faculty Senate which is virtually as useless as tits on bull?

Diversity and Inclusion, as long as you think the right way.
"I don't agree with your opinion but will fight TO THE DEATH your right to state it (but I'll try to diminish you, make fun of you, cancel you, deplatform you and ruin you. Its just business, don't take it personally). "

I can hear it now on a football game broadcast.

Fowler: "That was a nice run by the redshirt freshman."

Herb: "I think he's a second year student."

Fowler: "That's what I just said."

Herb: "He's actually a second year student using his first year of eligibility."

Fowler: "Drinking again Herbie? WTF are you talking about?"

Herb: "I said he's a second year student using his first year of eligibility as opposed to a second year student using his second year of eligibility."

Fowler: "Oh yeah. This is a Penn State game. Their administration is a bunch of clowns."

Herb: "He's actually a second year student using his first year of eligibility."

Herb: "I said he's a second year student using his first year of eligibility as opposed to a second year student using his second year of eligibility."

Fowler: "Oh yeah. This is a Penn State game. Their administration is a bunch of clowns."
Seriously, stating someone is a "fifth-year student" gives you no context. Are they in their final year or not? someone can be fifth-year student but still have two years to go to graduate.

I understand that language evolves over time, and I appreciate that in some cases (e.g. fireman vs firefighter) there are gender diversity issues in the work force which could (theoretically) be exacerbated by nomenclature. In other words, maybe young girls might aspire to be be firefighters at a higher rate than firemen.

Even if you subscribe to that theory, the data does not support that there is a disparity in college attendance for men vs women. In fact, for the period 2007 to 2017 (most recent stats I found), 57% of university students in the US were female.

If there is no disparity, then there is no harm being caused by the term freshmen.
This really isn't a matter of language evolving. As I noted in another thread, this is essentially a very direct output of Marxist philosophical and tactical principles, a la Michael Foucault, that are now undergirding a lot of post secondary education. I don't say that in some sort of "wing nut conservative" sense. I say it in its quasi academic sense. Evolution of language is something that occurs naturally in responses to need variation and changes (or stasis) in environment (except of course in German where you just string a bunch of existing words together to create a new really long word describing a new thing). This is quite purposeful, detached from need, and it really isn't leading anywhere good.

Separately, a humorous anecdote involving my son's experience at UVA (home, BTW, of the original "first year, second year, etc." convention, but in their case dating back to Jefferson, who naturally is rapidly becoming persona non grata at The University that he founded). So in first year engineering school, they have to take the requisite diversity and society seminar. They tell the students to divide themselves into diverse groups. Son tells me he was the only white guy in his group. However, all ten of them were residents of Northern Virginia. Which is not exactly a poster child for diverse experience.

Last edited:

Well done. I think one could probably write a really good Abbott and Costello bit around this.

So does that mean that the Verve Pipe song, The Freshmen, will now need to change to The First Year Student?
“We were merely first year students”
Doesn’t have the same ring to it!

Reactions: PSU Lion 2000
I went to University of Virginia (1970 to 1974) before going to PSU for graduate school. We used
first, second, third, and fourth year students then without any problems. Never thought
much about it.

I went to University of Virginia (1970 to 1974) before going to PSU for graduate school. We used
first, second, third, and fourth year students then without any problems. Never thought
much about it.
In the case of UVA, it dates back to the early days of the University, when students' ability to attend and pursue their education on a modern, continuous schedule was considerably less certain. A student might take time off to work or return to their home between courses of study. Thus, the first/second etc. rationale was developed as a better, functional reflection of where they were in their overall course of progress. In other words, it was decidedly not this.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
In the case of UVA, it dates back to the early days of the University, when students' ability to attend and pursue their education on a modern, continuous schedule was considerably less certain. A student might take time off to work or return to their home between courses of study. Thus, the first/second etc. rationale was developed as a better, functional reflection of where they were in their overall course of progress. In other words, it was decidedly not this.
So, our football roster will have to be changed to represent requests of faculty senate? Redshirt freshman is now redshirt Underclass person?

Wasn't this only a proposition\resolution passed by the Faculty Senate which is virtually as useless as tits on bull?
I can't believe the board is this slow...or maybe more woke then I thought. Clearly if a bull has tits, the cow is identifying as a bull. I guess technically they are teats

• Haha
Reactions: TheBigUglies
So, our football roster will have to be changed to represent requests of faculty senate? Redshirt freshman is now redshirt Underclass person?
Well, if you were really following the UVA approach, it would be something along the lines of "The second year tailback, who has completed seven terms of classes and who will remain a second year once he enters the draft or portal this offseason..."

Last edited:
Seriously, stating someone is a "fifth-year student" gives you no context. Are they in their final year or not? someone can be fifth-year student but still have two years to go to graduate.

Someone could be a senior and still have two years to go to graduate. Guessing it will still be based on credits taken, not years enrolled.

Also, will students still be allowed to engage in sophomoric hijinx, or will they be limited to secondyearic hijinx?

Sophomore has zero gender etymology. The latin origin of junior and senior did not.

And of course "man" and "woman" have no related etymology even though both have the letters M, A and N in the word

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT