ADVERTISEMENT

Wawa Subs - I need some explaining

CentexLion

Jul 9, 2001
Visited the Lehigh Valley last week to see my Mom and Dad for the first time in 18 months. They both turned 81, so a visit is always a special treat for me. A few observations:
1. Flew into ABE airport for the first time in awhile. Normally I do Philly and make the drive, but prices were cheaper to ABE and didn't have to rent a car (they were available for $500 per week btw). 11 gates only. 10 minutes from being dropped off at front to sitting at the gate. Versus 2 hours in Austin
2. Came through Charlotte via Austin. Terminal E in Charlotte is not very nice, probably as it serves all the small commuter planes. But, my gate was adjacent to the White Plains NY gate and I'm guessing 75% there were not wearing masks, or even had them around their necks. It was packed, and one family conveniently was sitting in the handicap section. Some poor guy comes in with a cast on his leg and crutches, and has to sit on the floor as they will not move for him. I was about to say something, and then decided against it with all the airport rage these days
3. I have no issues with wearing masks in the airport, but was surprised that they announcement was that bandanas, gaiters, and N95 masks were not allowed. But, if I sewed an elastic band to a bandana or gaiter, it now becomes an approved federal mask? WTF? I see many young men of color wearing bandanas and gaiters here in TX, and was wondering if this was a prejudicial oversight.
4. Wawa Subs: OK, the topic at hand. My Dad was in the Muhlenberg hospital (Lehigh Valley Hospital now?) when I got there, so after visiting hours were up, I drove Mom home and we stopped at Wawa for a sub, which everyone seems to rave about. Got the Italian on white with oil and vinegar and lettuce and onions. Kind of what I'm used to for the last 55+ years in the Valley. Added roasted peppars to it. Got home and ate it and didn't see the spark. Give it a 5 out of 10. Certainly won;t get Wawa subs again, unless the Italian isn't the boss item there. Grabbed a Jersey Mikes Italian at the Charlotte airport on the way home, and that easily topped Wawa (give that a 7 out of 10). This Wawa sub was no different than a Subway at a gas station in my opinion.
5. Catty Pizza: My brother turned me on to it over the weekend. Quite different than Jersey Style (that I miss so much down in Austin). I do love the greasy dripping pizza, but this didn't have the oil on it. Got wings and a tuna appetizer, and was happy with it. A real hole in the wall bar in Catasaqua that I like
6. Dang was it hot and humid up there. I did a lot of yard work and garden work for my parents when I was there and I never sweat like that in Austin, and I'm working outside here a lot. I forgot how humid the summers are up there, but the killer was there was no breeze blowing
7. My sister lives beside the Trexlertown Game Preserve so I went there one evening and had a great run through the park. That is a really nice park with nice trails and even the roads are empty. I forgot how nice it was there
8. Flew first class both ways (again, price wasn't much different than buying a economy ticket and adding the baggage fee and the seat fee). Plus, I made up a lot of $s in double bloody marys and double bourbons. Had a great view of the flight attendants though, and would say that they never had their masks on while they hung around the first class galley or while they were seated for takeoff/landing. Again, if we are living under the mask mandate on the flight, and if you confront/kick people off flights for mask infractions, please lead by example. Again, I had the curiosity to ask them why they didn't need to wear them, but I didn't want to get put on the no-fly list, as I'll need to make 3-4 trips there every year as my parents start slowing down more.

Visited the Lehigh Valley last week to see my Mom and Dad for the first time in 18 months. They both turned 81, so a visit is always a special treat for me. A few observations:
1. Flew into ABE airport for the first time in awhile. Normally I do Philly and make the drive, but prices were cheaper to ABE and didn't have to rent a car (they were available for $500 per week btw). 11 gates only. 10 minutes from being dropped off at front to sitting at the gate. Versus 2 hours in Austin
2. Came through Charlotte via Austin. Terminal E in Charlotte is not very nice, probably as it serves all the small commuter planes. But, my gate was adjacent to the White Plains NY gate and I'm guessing 75% there were not wearing masks, or even had them around their necks. It was packed, and one family conveniently was sitting in the handicap section. Some poor guy comes in with a cast on his leg and crutches, and has to sit on the floor as they will not move for him. I was about to say something, and then decided against it with all the airport rage these days
3. I have no issues with wearing masks in the airport, but was surprised that they announcement was that bandanas, gaiters, and N95 masks were not allowed. But, if I sewed an elastic band to a bandana or gaiter, it now becomes an approved federal mask? WTF? I see many young men of color wearing bandanas and gaiters here in TX, and was wondering if this was a prejudicial oversight.
4. Wawa Subs: OK, the topic at hand. My Dad was in the Muhlenberg hospital (Lehigh Valley Hospital now?) when I got there, so after visiting hours were up, I drove Mom home and we stopped at Wawa for a sub, which everyone seems to rave about. Got the Italian on white with oil and vinegar and lettuce and onions. Kind of what I'm used to for the last 55+ years in the Valley. Added roasted peppars to it. Got home and ate it and didn't see the spark. Give it a 5 out of 10. Certainly won;t get Wawa subs again, unless the Italian isn't the boss item there. Grabbed a Jersey Mikes Italian at the Charlotte airport on the way home, and that easily topped Wawa (give that a 7 out of 10). This Wawa sub was no different than a Subway at a gas station in my opinion.
5. Catty Pizza: My brother turned me on to it over the weekend. Quite different than Jersey Style (that I miss so much down in Austin). I do love the greasy dripping pizza, but this didn't have the oil on it. Got wings and a tuna appetizer, and was happy with it. A real hole in the wall bar in Catasaqua that I like
6. Dang was it hot and humid up there. I did a lot of yard work and garden work for my parents when I was there and I never sweat like that in Austin, and I'm working outside here a lot. I forgot how humid the summers are up there, but the killer was there was no breeze blowing
7. My sister lives beside the Trexlertown Game Preserve so I went there one evening and had a great run through the park. That is a really nice park with nice trails and even the roads are empty. I forgot how nice it was there
8. Flew first class both ways (again, price wasn't much different than buying a economy ticket and adding the baggage fee and the seat fee). Plus, I made up a lot of $s in double bloody marys and double bourbons. Had a great view of the flight attendants though, and would say that they never had their masks on while they hung around the first class galley or while they were seated for takeoff/landing. Again, if we are living under the mask mandate on the flight, and if you confront/kick people off flights for mask infractions, please lead by example. Again, I had the curiosity to ask them why they didn't need to wear them, but I didn't want to get put on the no-fly list, as I'll need to make 3-4 trips there every year as my parents start slowing down more.
Regarding your #2. First off that was a dick move by the people sitting in the Handicap section.
As for #3. I flew Southwest to Vegas last month and the announcement the guy at the gate was making about masks, gaiters and bandana's said the same thing. The really ironic part was he was wearing a GAITER, so WTF? I also saw many people in the airport and on my flight wearing gaiters so....
What was really odd is I flew Soutwest to San Diego in July last year and they didn't say anything about gaiters not being allowed. They did say no bandana's then as well.
Final thought: Flying during the pandemic was the best experience I've had flying since 9/11.

Reactions: CentexLion
Wawa hoagies are pretty good. And you can pretty much count on getting the same hoagie in every single Wawa location. And since Wawa stores are located throughout the tri-state area, and you don't have to wait long for a hoagie at Wawa (well, except around lunch time at a very busy Wawa), they are good, convenient, and serve the purpose.

You can get a better hoagie at a lot of neighborhood hoagie joints. It is what it is.

And in the greater Philadelphia region (which Lehigh Valley is on the outskirts of), nobody but non-natives calls a hoagie a sub.

I agree, don't see the fascination with WaWa hoagies. 15+ years ago they were pretty good but the amount of meat put on them now is miniscule. my daughter likes turkey hoagies plain, no cheese, no lettuce, no nothing, just turkey and a roll And let me tell you that there is no meat on a wawa hoagie. Key to a good wawa hoagie is load it up with every vege on the menu as they are all free and fresh and then it has some taste.

In all fairness, they probably taste much better at 2:00 in the morning after a night of binge drinking.

Wawa hoagies are pretty good. And you can pretty much can count on getting the same hoagie in every single Wawa location. And since Wawa stores are located throughout the tai-state area, and you don't have to wait long for a hoagie at Wawa (well, except around lunch time at a very busy Wawa), they are good, convenient, and serve the purpose.

You can get a better hoagie at a lot of neighborhood hoagie joints. It is what it is.

And in the greater Philadelphia region (which Lehigh Valley is on the outskirts of), nobody but non-natives calls a hoagie a sub.
I stand corrected. Been in Texas too long. I remember doing Hoagie sales in Cub Scouts all the time growing up in the 60's and 70's. Those were super great, but probably more nostalgia versus what they really tasted like then. First time I saw them called subs was when they opened a J's Subs in Northampton around 1978. And even the two great "sub" places here in my area call them Subs, and these are transplanted Philadelphia's/Delawarians: Hoodys Subs and Delaware Subs (Ted Sizemore owned I believe from the 70s Eagles OL).

I stand corrected. Been in Texas too long. I remember doing Hoagie sales in Cub Scouts all the time growing up in the 60's and 70's. Those were super great, but probably more nostalgia versus what they really tasted like then. First time I saw them called subs was when they opened a J's Subs in Northampton around 1978. And even the two great "sub" places here in my area call them Subs, and these are transplanted Philadelphia's/Delawarians: Hoodys Subs and Delaware Subs (Ted Sizemore owned I believe from the 70s Eagles OL).
I remember those Hoagie/Sub sales. IIRC they were really good.
Also remember my sisters selling 4H cookies and those were sooooo much better than what the Girl Scouts sold. They had a peanutbutter that was awesome but my favorite were the chocolate marshmallow.

I sold YMCA mint patties as a fundraiser in Sharon.

Does it really take 2h from dropoff to gate in Austin? That is bull shit .. sucks!
Regarding gaiters .... it is not prejudicial imo, as I see plenty of white rednecks running around in them.
Also, I think they are allowed in airports, just not on airplanes.

First, Mare likes Wawa, so we like Wawa.

482700ad9b9e2ecc71a7343652e4a19237-mare-egg-sandwich.w710.gif

Second, when praising Wawa hoagies, context is important. This is relative to other convenient/grocery store fare - not Jersey Mikes or some other local hoagie shop/chain (though probably better than Subway). Tom is right - consistency is important and highly valued here; not necessarily outstanding taste/quality.

They are still better than Sheetz.

Went to my first Buc ee's and had a super good sausage, egg and cheese biscuit. On return trip I had their Italian sub. Both were good. Wife and daughter had the brisket sandwiches which they raved about. Also, bought some beef jerky.

Wawa subs are garbage. Try a Primo’s next time you’re there if you can find one in the LV.

interesting, i go through Charlotte frequently and haven't noticed people without masks and particularly the flight attendants not wearing masks. When i went to Jersey Mikes in Charlotte, they are only 3 types of sandwiches and said half an hour wait, I said no thanks

Had Jersey Mike's once several years ago when out on a jobsite and thought, wow i wonder if they take like a good Jersey Italian sub. It was disappointing and never ate there again.

Here is a question....Subway, Jersey Mikes, or Jimmy Johns.

First, Mare likes Wawa, so we like Wawa.

482700ad9b9e2ecc71a7343652e4a19237-mare-egg-sandwich.w710.gif

Second, when praising Wawa hoagies, context is important. This is relative to other convenient/grocery store fare - not Jersey Mikes or some other local hoagie shop/chain (though probably better than Subway). Tom is right - consistency is important and highly valued here; not necessarily outstanding taste/quality.
Is that a Wawa food item? The foil looks suspicious. Also, who eats a hoagie/meatball from the top like that. This lady is clearly a Brit.

I once tried to return a Primo because of no tomato.
The mgr. gleefully pointed out a microscopic paper thin tomato slice.
It's just a ham sandwich w/o tomato.
And Wawa sucks because they use cheap rolls.
When I was a kid it was impossible to get a bad hoagie in Philly.
Now they are all bad.

Had Jersey Mike's once several years ago when out on a jobsite and thought, wow i wonder if they take like a good Jersey Italian sub. It was disappointing and never ate there again.

Here is a question....Subway, Jersey Mikes, or Jimmy Johns.
# 9 at JJ works for me

I once tried to return a Primo because of no tomato.
The mgr. gleefully pointed out a microscopic paper thin tomato slice.
It's just a ham sandwich w/o tomato.
And Wawa sucks because they use cheap rolls.
When I was a kid it was impossible to get a bad hoagie in Philly.
Now they are all bad.

that is true, Wawa used to get fresh baked rolls in daily. then about 7-8 years ago they went to bringing in dough and cooking themselves (same as Subway) to save money. rolls are not as good as they were when brought in fresh daily.

You were a hop,skip and a jump from a Wegman's (off 512). You should have gone there for a sub. They may close the sub shop at 8:00 though. There used to be a Firehouse Subs on Airport Road. That could be gone now. Westgate Pizza, right around the corner from Muhlenberg Hospital, Pretty good subs and a huge selection.

You were a hop,skip and a jump from a Wegman's (off 512). You should have gone there for a sub. They may close the sub shop at 8:00 though. There used to be a Firehouse Subs on Airport Road. That could be gone now. Westgate Pizza, right around the corner from Muhlenberg Hospital, Pretty good subs and a huge selection.
I"ve never had Jersey Mikes but I do like Firehouse subs.

Ahh, J’s brings back great memories for me growing up in Allentown as my older brother would take me there as a kid. Loved their Italian. Next time you go back, hit Seward’s for a Cheesesteak or even an Italian. His hoagies/steaks are loaded with meat. I used to work there during HS.

I think someone mentioned it before... subs are not truly the same as hoagies.... hard to compare the two as they are two different breeds of the same species. The kinds you get at Subway or pizza shops are mostly subs... Hoagies need that soft roll with it being about the meat not the toppings. Hard to explain, kind of you know it when you see it. :)

Primio Hoagies though are #1 in my book. (At least what I can get around home) The trend on the local mom and pops that 'import from Philly' is to fancy them up too much... heading into sub territory then....

Ahh, J’s brings back great memories for me growing up in Allentown as my older brother would take me there as a kid. Loved their Italian. Next time you go back, hit Seward’s for a Cheesesteak or even an Italian. His hoagies/steaks are loaded with meat. I used to work there during HS.
So did my son in law. Mike’s cheesesteaks are really good.

Does it really take 2h from dropoff to gate in Austin? That is bull shit .. sucks!
Regarding gaiters .... it is not prejudicial imo, as I see plenty of white rednecks running around in them.
Also, I think they are allowed in airports, just not on airplanes.
Two weekends ago, it was a 3 hour drop off ask in Austin. Now that is crazy. This was for flights from 6-8:30AM, which seems to be about 40% of the daily traffic. I flew out at 9:30, and had priority boarding, so I got to step right to the front of the lines (another reason that First Class is nice). But, if you have to hang out at an airport for a few hours, Austin is pretty decent, with all of the local food establishments there

They are still better than Sheetz.
There is a Sheetz right across the street from that Wawa. My Dad was only in the hospital for 1 day, but if he was there an extra day, I was going to do the Sheetz/Wawa - Hoagie/Sub/Grinder challenge

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT