ADVERTISEMENT

Wawa Subs - I need some explaining

interesting, i go through Charlotte frequently and haven't noticed people without masks and particularly the flight attendants not wearing masks. When i went to Jersey Mikes in Charlotte, they are only 3 types of sandwiches and said half an hour wait, I said no thanks
It was the shortest line of the few choices in the main area (there was a BBQ place there and no self respecting Central Texan is going to purchase North Carolina BBQ) . That is why I chose it. o_O I think there were 7 or 8 that you could pick. No hot sandwiches because of Covid (I didn't even ask). I arrived in Terminal A and had the flight out in Terminal E (I think it is mostly American Eagle). That terminal is one step above a Greyhound Bus station. I think it is the original carpeting in that Terminal. Terminal A was nice and new

Hoagie sales brought back memories, you wan't to make it your last fundraiser put minced ham, and American cheese on it otherwise most guys will say " i'll take two"

Best hoagies are places that have an Italian flag, or Italian name on the place or key words like Stromboli or Calzone.

There is a Sheetz right across the street from that Wawa. My Dad was only in the hospital for 1 day, but if he was there an extra day, I was going to do the Sheetz/Wawa - Hoagie/Sub/Grinder challenge
I live within a couple of miles of a Sheetz and a couple Wawas. I almost never go to the Sheetz. The quality of Wawa sandwiches is far better, and the wait time to get the sandwich is far, far, far better.

Now all Wawa has to do is get rid of those dreadful Freestyle soda fountains, and we'll really have something.

Reactions: CentexLion
When it comes to hoagies:

Wawa > Sheetz > Wegman's > Firehouse > Jersey Mike's > Subway > Jimmy John's
On a scale of 1-10, is Wawa a 5.5 and the JJ a 5.0 in your opinion (they all really suck - some just less than the others)? I've had all but Wegman's and Sheetz. My options were limited at 9-9:30PM though, I believe. From other responses, I'm thinking it was the roll that wasn't really right at my WaWa visit. Didn't seem like an old school hoagie roll (how else can you screw up an Italian Hoagie).

I eat Wawa hoagies pretty frequently. Not nearly as often as I eat Publix subs though - which I consider the best outside of the local hoagie shops in Williamsport.

sub.jpg
Don't those little seeds and stuff on the roll automatically disqualify it as a hoagie/sub? I think that makes it an Artisanal Sandwich. Same with green bell peppers. Could you legally serve this as a Hoagie in Philly, or would you get your restaurant license revoked? Please tell me there is no avocado/mayo spread on that thing :eek:

n a scale of 1-10, is Wawa a 5.5 and the JJ a 5.0 in your opinion (they all really suck - some just less than the others)? I've had all but Wegman's and Sheetz.
To me, Wawa makes a legitimately good sandwich. They are clearly #1 in this group. Sheetz and Wegman's are the next tier, and are pretty close in quality to one another. Both make a decent sandwich. There is a good step down when you get to Firehouse, Subway, and Jimmy John's, which are all meh.

Don't those little seeds and stuff on the roll automatically disqualify it as a hoagie/sub? I think that makes it an Artisanal Sandwich. Same with green bell peppers. Could you legally serve this as a Hoagie in Philly, or would you get your restaurant license revoked? Please tell me there is no avocado/mayo spread on that thing :eek:
Don't like the looks of it, don't eat it. Problem solved.

No ham - you need capicola, Genoa salami, and imported aged provolone cheese, with shredded lettuce, roasted pepper relish, sweet Vidalia onion, and Jersey tomatoes, oregano, olive oil, and red wine vinegar on a good Italian roll. The roll is the most important ingredient. This guy uses a seeded roll which I do not endorse but the remainder of the sandwich looks right to me.

Last edited:
Don't think I've ever had a PA hoagie ... nor have I ever had one at WaWa, Sheetz, Wegmans ... had one at Jersey Mike's once and didn't care for it.

Have been living in the DC area for the good part of 58 years (I'm a transplant from the midwest) and the 2 sub shops I really liked, but are now gone, were Eddie Leonard's and Miles Long (there are Eddie Leonards around here now, but not sub shops... they serve Chineese!). Now days if I get hungry for a hoagie/sub I head for A.Litteri's an old school Italian grocery store in DC ... they make GREAT subs.

Last edited:
I believe it's a Wawa "hoagie." But I don't disagree that it's a 5 out of 10. Comparing it to Subway is just plain wrong. Nothing at Subway is higher than a 2 or 3, and only a 3 if you're starving.
I think Subway subs are OK, they're just not true deli style subs. Publix makes a pretty good sub for a reasonable price. Wegmans subs are fantastic. I've never had a Wawa sub.

Visited the Lehigh Valley last week to see my Mom and Dad for the first time in 18 months. They both turned 81, so a visit is always a special treat for me. A few observations:
1. Flew into ABE airport for the first time in awhile. Normally I do Philly and make the drive, but prices were cheaper to ABE and didn't have to rent a car (they were available for $500 per week btw). 11 gates only. 10 minutes from being dropped off at front to sitting at the gate. Versus 2 hours in Austin
2. Came through Charlotte via Austin. Terminal E in Charlotte is not very nice, probably as it serves all the small commuter planes. But, my gate was adjacent to the White Plains NY gate and I'm guessing 75% there were not wearing masks, or even had them around their necks. It was packed, and one family conveniently was sitting in the handicap section. Some poor guy comes in with a cast on his leg and crutches, and has to sit on the floor as they will not move for him. I was about to say something, and then decided against it with all the airport rage these days
3. I have no issues with wearing masks in the airport, but was surprised that they announcement was that bandanas, gaiters, and N95 masks were not allowed. But, if I sewed an elastic band to a bandana or gaiter, it now becomes an approved federal mask? WTF? I see many young men of color wearing bandanas and gaiters here in TX, and was wondering if this was a prejudicial oversight.
4. Wawa Subs: OK, the topic at hand. My Dad was in the Muhlenberg hospital (Lehigh Valley Hospital now?) when I got there, so after visiting hours were up, I drove Mom home and we stopped at Wawa for a sub, which everyone seems to rave about. Got the Italian on white with oil and vinegar and lettuce and onions. Kind of what I'm used to for the last 55+ years in the Valley. Added roasted peppars to it. Got home and ate it and didn't see the spark. Give it a 5 out of 10. Certainly won;t get Wawa subs again, unless the Italian isn't the boss item there. Grabbed a Jersey Mikes Italian at the Charlotte airport on the way home, and that easily topped Wawa (give that a 7 out of 10). This Wawa sub was no different than a Subway at a gas station in my opinion.
5. Catty Pizza: My brother turned me on to it over the weekend. Quite different than Jersey Style (that I miss so much down in Austin). I do love the greasy dripping pizza, but this didn't have the oil on it. Got wings and a tuna appetizer, and was happy with it. A real hole in the wall bar in Catasaqua that I like
6. Dang was it hot and humid up there. I did a lot of yard work and garden work for my parents when I was there and I never sweat like that in Austin, and I'm working outside here a lot. I forgot how humid the summers are up there, but the killer was there was no breeze blowing
7. My sister lives beside the Trexlertown Game Preserve so I went there one evening and had a great run through the park. That is a really nice park with nice trails and even the roads are empty. I forgot how nice it was there
8. Flew first class both ways (again, price wasn't much different than buying a economy ticket and adding the baggage fee and the seat fee). Plus, I made up a lot of $s in double bloody marys and double bourbons. Had a great view of the flight attendants though, and would say that they never had their masks on while they hung around the first class galley or while they were seated for takeoff/landing. Again, if we are living under the mask mandate on the flight, and if you confront/kick people off flights for mask infractions, please lead by example. Again, I had the curiosity to ask them why they didn't need to wear them, but I didn't want to get put on the no-fly list, as I'll need to make 3-4 trips there every year as my parents start slowing down more.
Agree about WAWA vs Jersey Mike's. Jersey Mike's is better. Much like cheesesteaks, the right bread is a key ingredient. WAWAs bread seems to be different than it was years ago. Now heavier bread. Hard to beat "Mike's way" w/some banana peppers is the way I enjoy them.

I have lived in the Lehigh Valley for the majority of my life. I have never understood the fascination with Wawa hoagies. The best hoagies or subs are found at pizza joints. Even grocery stores like Wegmans make a much better product than Wawa.

On a scale of 1-10, is Wawa a 5.5 and the JJ a 5.0 in your opinion (they all really suck - some just less than the others)? I've had all but Wegman's and Sheetz. My options were limited at 9-9:30PM though, I believe. From other responses, I'm thinking it was the roll that wasn't really right at my WaWa visit. Didn't seem like an old school hoagie roll (how else can you screw up an Italian Hoagie).
As I said in my previous reply, there is now something lacking with current roll WAWA is using.

Two weekends ago, it was a 3 hour drop off ask in Austin. Now that is crazy. This was for flights from 6-8:30AM, which seems to be about 40% of the daily traffic. I flew out at 9:30, and had priority boarding, so I got to step right to the front of the lines (another reason that First Class is nice). But, if you have to hang out at an airport for a few hours, Austin is pretty decent, with all of the local food establishments there
I've only flown once so far since the pandemic but I breezed through security at AUS using TSA precheck. I even had to check a bag and I'd guess it took me less than 30 mins from the front door to get to the gate. I did see they had some long lines a few weeks ago, but it seemed to be isolated to certain days of the week and times. For example, Mondays and Thursdays are usually busy with the business travel crowd, although they typically fly enough to know how to breeze through the checkpoints. It's the infrequent travelers that slow things down as they go through the metal detectors 4 times each.

Have you tried Saccone's, Little Deli or Home Slice?
Hey there PSUSignore. I hope all is well with you here in Texas.

Saccones was my go to. They had 5 places around town, but I think three have closed up over the years. The one I always went to was on Pecan and 183 (south of 620). Knew it was legit, as the paper plate was soaked with grease by the time you got that slice to your table. That one burned to the ground about 10 years ago, with a feud between a couple rival biker gangs. Never tried teh others. I certainly have heard of Home Slice, but no idea of the location. Since I'm in Round Rock, I frequent Slapbox and 600 Degree Pizza. ALso a little Italian place called Ginos that has been around for 20+ years. OK, but not what we got back in the Lehigh Valley at every corner place.

I've only flown once so far since the pandemic but I breezed through security at AUS using TSA precheck. I even had to check a bag and I'd guess it took me less than 30 mins from the front door to get to the gate. I did see they had some long lines a few weeks ago, but it seemed to be isolated to certain days of the week and times. For example, Mondays and Thursdays are usually busy with the business travel crowd, although they typically fly enough to know how to breeze through the checkpoints. It's the infrequent travelers that slow things down as they go through the metal detectors 4 times each.
The 3 hour was about 4 Fridays ago. About half of the people missed their flights, and I guess it pissed a bunch of people off and someone called in a bomb threat (the bomb threat was after the delays). The airport claimed that they were not ready for the amount of travellers (not certain how you don't know that, as 95% of tickets certainly are prebooked - nobody buys at the counter anymore I'm guessing). TSA Precheck is the way to go. FC is allowed to go through the precheck line as well which is nice, as you don;t have rookies really holding up the line at the xray as they dig through their bags /pockets for a minute or two

For a sub in Hbg I recommend Sandwich Man. I love their rolls. Hard and flakey on the outside and soft inside. I miss the original 2nd st location.. 2nd choice is Hoageez with a hard seeded roll.

When it comes to hoagies:

Wawa > Sheetz > Wegman's > Firehouse > Jersey Mike's > Subway > Jimmy John's

Wegmans -> Rutters -> WaWa -> Jersey Mike's -> Jimmy John's -> Sheetz -> Subway

Wegmans is the only one I would actually say is pretty damn good. The others are good relative to what they are. I have never had a Firehouse sub though. Jersey Mike's was by far the most overrated of all of them when you consider the cost to how good it actually is. It was like $30+ dollars for myself and my GF at the time to have a sandwich, a drink and a bag of chips. The best hoagies around me are the mom and pop pizzeria joints. Some of those have some great hoagies.

I travel a lot (used to anyway) for work and Pre Check is a most have - easy to get and saves a ton of time and hassles at the airport and most people with it know the drill at sacurity.

I’ll echo some of the sentiments posted. I moved away from Wawa territory 5 years ago. I used to pick up a hoagie at least once a week to take to work for lunch…do enjoyable. I was back in the area over Memorial Day weekend for the first time since I moved, and had a Wawa. It wasn’t as good as I remembered. Did they change something up in the time I was away? It wasn’t awful, just kinda meh.

I believe it's a Wawa "hoagie." But I don't disagree that it's a 5 out of 10. Comparing it to Subway is just plain wrong. Nothing at Subway is higher than a 2 or 3, and only a 3 if you're starving.
Subway does suck imo as well, not sure the appeal..

I like Wawa but would only rate their hoagies about a 6. I have two neighborhood places within a mile away that I’d give a 9 to. That’s just the way it is in the Philly suburbs. If they can’t to a great cheesesteak, hoagie, or thin crust wood fired margarita pizza or Trenton Tomato Pie they’re out of business.

Now if we only had some good takeout Thai or Vietnamese restaurants nearby all would be good. Last week I had my first sushi since the Pandemic started and got that at Whole Foods since I trust the guy there.

The 3 hour was about 4 Fridays ago. About half of the people missed their flights, and I guess it pissed a bunch of people off and someone called in a bomb threat (the bomb threat was after the delays). The airport claimed that they were not ready for the amount of travellers (not certain how you don't know that, as 95% of tickets certainly are prebooked - nobody buys at the counter anymore I'm guessing). TSA Precheck is the way to go. FC is allowed to go through the precheck line as well which is nice, as you don;t have rookies really holding up the line at the xray as they dig through their bags /pockets for a minute or two
I remember hearing about that bomb threat, it was about the same time that the long security lines were in the news and I think it was really bad but only for a few days. I agree that it's odd they are unprepared for ticketed passenger volumes when they clearly know in advance how many flights are scheduled and how many tickets have been purchased. Gotta love the TSA.

You should definitely check out Home Slice, there are 2 locations (South Congress and 53rd St.). They make a great pie but it's expensive, that's my biggest gripe with them. Little Deli is in Crestview, off Anderson Land east of Burnet. They supposedly have good subs too but I've only ever gotten their pizza and it's pretty good, and less expensive than Home Slice. I used to rave about Sacconne's but I feel the last 2-3 times I've gone it hasn't been as good, I'm not sure what happened. Their pepperoni rolls are amazing though. I think Via 313 is still the best in town but that's not NY/NJ style.

Had Jersey Mike's once several years ago when out on a jobsite and thought, wow i wonder if they take like a good Jersey Italian sub. It was disappointing and never ate there again.

Here is a question....Subway, Jersey Mikes, or Jimmy Johns.
1. Jimmy John's
2. Jersey Mike's
3. Subway

Went to my first Buc ee's and had a super good sausage, egg and cheese biscuit. On return trip I had their Italian sub. Both were good. Wife and daughter had the brisket sandwiches which they raved about. Also, bought some beef jerky.
Buc ee’s chopped brisket sammich w/ onions and pickles is the bomb diggity. I love their breakfast sandwiches, too. You can warsh it dahn with a 40 oz fountain drink for 89 cents.

As I said in my previous reply, there is now something lacking with current roll WAWA is using.

wawa used to bring in fresh rolls daily. about 7 or 8 years ago they went to just buying dough and baking it in the store just like Subway. saves them a ton of money as they no longer throw out all those rolls that don't get eaten plus don't have to pay to ship bread every morning as can get the dough and refrigerate. that is why the rolls taste worse now. they also have decreased the amount of meat on the hoagie over the years to the point that if you don't get a lot of veges on it, there really isn't much to the hoagie anymore.

In the home of more sub shops then people....Wawas problem is the roll....Maybe the closer you get to Philly the better the amoroso are if they are fresh. Their frozen rolls have gone down hill in the last 5 or 6 years which is what I assume most wawa have. And in the summer they are even worse as they have issues keeping them from thawing and refreezing. Amoroso is a sandwich roll not a hoagie roll.

In the home of more sub shops then people....Wawas problem is the roll....Maybe the closer you get to Philly the better the amoroso are if they are fresh. Their frozen rolls have gone down hill in the last 5 or 6 years which is what I assume most wawa have. And in the summer they are even worse as they have issues keeping them from thawing and refreezing. Amoroso is a sandwich roll not a hoagie roll.
Let’s talk about the roll and where the best one are baked around Philadelphia. I believe Wawa bakes it’s rolls on premises. Amoroso sets the standard in Philadelphia but Formica Brothers from Atlantic City is reputed to bake the best rolls and supplies the White House Sub Shop there, which is legendary, along with numerous other restaurants down the shore. Formica went bankrupt a few years ago but I believe they’re still operating. Here is their story:
Since 1919

Home of​

"The Original" Atlantic City Bread​

home_tea_sep2.png

Formica Brothers Bakery legacy began in 1919 when Francesco Formica opened the bakery with his wife Rosa bringing his legendary hand-crafted breads to Atlantic City from Italy. In 1928 Francesco moved the bakery to its current location (2310 Arctic Avenue), building a state of the art brick oven that the family kept burning continuously until 1988. In 1987 Frank D. Formica (grandson) purchased the business from his uncles and father. In May 2019 Pat McKenna took over the 100 years old bakery and continues to make the hand-crafted Italian bread with the same exact recipe that Frank's grandfather used. The secret is in the water that comes from below the New Jersey Pinelands. This gives Formica's Bakery bread its unique flavor and body. Now operating as Formica's Bakery.​

A Sacko Subs cheesesteak served with Provilone and wit onions on a White House roll is hard to beat. By the way Sack O Subs is named after the owner anemed Sacko, it doesn’t mean to buy a sack of subs.

One more thing- the Philadelphia sandwich which is taking over in importance and notarially is the roast pork sandwich. It’s made on a hoagie roll with slices of roast pork topped with melted provilone and broccoli robb with fresh garlic and olive oil. Many favor this over the well regarded cheesesteak.

Last edited:
#8. I don't know anything about regulations for flight attendants but to me it makes sense to not wear masks during takeoff or landing. Those can be the most critical times of a flight so the flight attendants need to be able to give instructions on a moments notice and not have to worry about a mask garbling the message. Also, maybe they are allowed to follow the six feet rule and remove their masks where they're away from passengers. I agree about setting an example and I'm sure airlines are strict about their crews following the rules. Maybe what you saw was allowed by those rules.

Aversa bread is the best i have tasted in the Philly area. For those super hoagie lover's, there is a place called Pal Joey's in South Jersey that has authentic italian hoagies. They must have about 20 different types with all kinds of choices on different italian meats and cheeses (not just the typical ham and salami but all the authentic italian spiced meats). i highly recommend if ever in the area to try it out.

Had Jersey Mike's once several years ago when out on a jobsite and thought, wow i wonder if they take like a good Jersey Italian sub. It was disappointing and never ate there again.

Here is a question....Subway, Jersey Mikes, or Jimmy Johns.
You forgot road gravel as a choice.

I live within a couple of miles of a Sheetz and a couple Wawas. I almost never go to the Sheetz. The quality of Wawa sandwiches is far better, and the wait time to get the sandwich is far, far, far better.

Now all Wawa has to do is get rid of those dreadful Freestyle soda fountains, and we'll really have something.

Sheetz rules dude!

After all these posts I picked up an Italian hoagie yesterday from Wawa on my way down the shore. It was just mediocre and I’m a Wawa fan. There wasn’t anything wrong with it per se, it’s just that just about any strip mall local pizza shop would have been better. Wawa left off the oil, vinegar, and oregano I had requested, and the meats and cheese seemed a little skimpy. The roll was Ok but not outstanding. Other than convenience, there was nothing to recommend it.

Other than convenience, there was nothing to recommend it.
That's what people forget. Sheetz, WaWa, and similar stores sell convenience. Of course you can get better food elsewhere, but where can you get decent food, gas, other assorted items you may need, and a decent bathroom in one stop and it's generally quick. Thinking any of their food is great is just icing on the cake to them.

Reactions: Nitwit
ADVERTISEMENT