ADVERTISEMENT

Watched the first half of the Pitt / Albany replay

Brian LB-U

May 29, 2001
It's available online via Watch ESPN. Nothing earth-shattering, but here are a few first-half observations:

** Albany had no trouble moving the ball on offense (put up 4.2 YPC and 150 passing yards in the half) but did have trouble converting drives into points. Pitt really didn't stand out anywhere defensively which probably sounds strange to somebody who didn't watch the game because they DID hold the Danes to 7 points. I guess you could say there weren't any players jumping out of the screen.

** DBs looked suspect against Vinny Testaverde's kid. Pitt's lack of a dominating pass rush (yep, same issue we have) could leave their DBs on an island tomorrow against Trace and Co..

** Pitt's QB (Pickett) looks pretty good. What they showed against Albany was more of a "dink and dunk", horizontal passing game (5-7 yards per completion). Kid plays with confidence and completes almost all of his short passes. He doesn't have a big arm but he's accurate and can scramble.

** Pitt's Captain and starting RT (Booker?) went out with an injury in the first half. Not sure what his status is for tomorrow, but worth noting his replacement was a freshman.

** Good depth and skill at RB. They're in good shape here.

** I would rate the Pitt OL as "TBD" at this point. They did their job but it was pretty obvious Albany's FCS DL was totally outclassed as you would expect from an opponent with only 63 scholarship players. I don't think there's anything you can take away from the OL play other than they dominated Albany.

** In the first quarter, Albany surrendered a kickoff return TD (-7) and an 80-yard interception return that Pitt drove in for a short 20 yard TD (-14). In addition, Pitt was gifted a TD on a 3rd and goal bobbled pass (receiver was out of bounds) that really should have been a chip shot FG, at best (-18).

** All of the scoring took place in the first half. I'm going to just assume Pitt took their foot off the throttle in the second half.

** Albany is nowhere near as talented as App State. I mean, it isn't even close. This is obvious to anyone who bothered to watch both games.

** I feel better about tomorrow after watching Pitt / Albany. I feel like our offense matches up very well against this Pitt defense. Our sloppy-ass defense should at least be capable of limiting the damage against the Pitt offense, IMO. We'll see.

Last edited:
All Pickett has done so far is dink and dunk. That's what he did vs. Miami last year in the game that put him on a par with Joe Montana

Reactions: diggerpup
Their offensive line is an enormous massive question mark. I don't see how anybody believes that this line is going to be able to handle anybody's front 7, let alone ours. We're young, but we've got good young inexperienced players. Most of their line is young unheralded low rated players.

I like our chances in that match up. If Bookser doesn't play, they may not score at all.

It's available online via Watch ESPN. Nothing earth shattering, but here are a few first half observations:

** Albany had no trouble moving the ball on offense (put up 4.2 YPC and 150 passing yards in the half) but did have trouble converting drives into points. Pitt really didn't stand out anywhere defensively which probably sounds strange to somebody who didn't watch the game because they did hold the Danes to 7 points. Watch the game and see for yourself.

** DBs looked suspect against Vinny Testaverdi's kid. Pitt's lack of a dominating pass rush (yep, same issue we have) could leave the DBs on an island against Trace and Co. tomorrow.

** Pitt's QB (Pickett) looks pretty good. What they showed against Albany was more of a "dink
and dunk", horizontal passing game (5-7 yards per completion). Kid plays with confidence and completes almost all of his short passes. He doesn't have a big arm.

** Pitt's Captain and starting RT (Booker?) went out with an injury in the first half. Not sure what his status is for tomorrow, but worth noting his replacement was a freshman.

** I would rate the Pitt OL as "TBD" at this point. They did their job but it was pretty obvious Albany's FCS DL was totally outclassed as you would expect from an opponent with only 63 scholarship players. I don't think there's anything you can take away from the OL play.

** In the first quarter Albany surrendered a kickoff return TD (-7) and an 80-yard interception return that Pitt drove in for a 20 yard TD (-14). In addition, Pitt was gifted a TD on a 3rd and goal bobbled pass that really should have been a chip shot FG at best (-18).

** All of the scoring took place in the first half. I'm going to just assume Pitt took their foot off the throttle in the second half.

** Albany is nowhere near as talented as App State. I mean, it isn't even close. This is obvious to anyone who bothered to watch both games.

** I feel better about tomorrow after watching Pitt / Albany. I feel like our offense matches up very well against this Pitt defense. We'll see.
Watched it also.Albany was smaller and slower which is expected.Pitts qb played well.Completing what thirteen passes in a row against anyone is pretty impressive.The passes were mostly all short.Hard to get a good read on the defense but no one stood out.
I guess bookser is their best olm and if he is not a 100% that's a big problem for Pitt
Don't know how much or if Pitt improves from last week but I am thinking Psu having gotten their attention bell rung big time will be much better.Pitt does have some players but Psu has more.Great to have college football back.

Their offensive line is an enormous massive question mark. I don't see how anybody believes that this line is going to be able to handle anybody's front 7, let alone ours. We're young, but we've got good young inexperienced players. Most of their line is young unheralded low rated players.

I like our chances in that match up. If Bookser doesn't play, they may not score at all.

Interesting about Bookser. Has there been any word on him playing or how badly he was hurt?

Great points on all of the above. I too watched the game. Albany looked like a decent D-II program.

Ffrench is a good player. If you missed the jet sweep, get ready. Both running backs are big and used that to their advantage.
Pickett is a good QB...throws a nice ball. His deeper throws hang. What I really took away is that Pickett takes tremendous risks while running the ball. I can't imagine this isn't fixed by tomorrow. Their secondary seemed lost in coverage. Tackling seemed as poor as PSU's.

My fearless prediction is 33-10 Penn State over Pitt. In the first half, Pitt will try to slow roll and PSU D will struggle early with some of the same negatives from last week. However, PSU will capitalize with several chunk plays, but fail to get in the end zone. Could see a score of something like 9 to 7, PSU, in the first half. Ultimately, PSU's offense will be too much for Pitt coming into the second half.

McSorley will further infuriate the Lair by completing several so-called "hail marys," which will be talked about for years to come as this match-up ends its run.
PSU experts will realize that CJF coached App State like it was a scrimmage with a lot of rotation sacrifices, so PSU's play on Saturday will look more consistent.
JJohnson will have 10 catches for a +100yd game
Pinegar will be a key with 4 FG
Parsons will have his first sack
PSU total rushing will be +250
Special teams coverage will continue to be a question mark
Pickett will throw 2 INTs and be sacked 3 times
A Pitt fan sitting in section 213, who also posts regularly on the Lair about his hatred for PSU, will leave his lights on causing his battery to die in the parking lot. Already defeated and demoralized after the game, made even worse because he painted his face, this guy will have to pay a gypsy cab $150 to drive him to the North Hills after his wife refuses to pick him up because he acted like such a "jagoff" when he left to drive "dahntahn" for the game.

It's available online via Watch ESPN. Nothing earth shattering, but here are a few first half observations:

** Albany had no trouble moving the ball on offense (put up 4.2 YPC and 150 passing yards in the half) but did have trouble converting drives into points. Pitt really didn't stand out anywhere defensively which probably sounds strange to somebody who didn't watch the game because they DID hold the Danes to 7 points. I guess you could say there weren't any players jumping out of the screen.

** DBs looked suspect against Vinny Testaverdi's kid. Pitt's lack of a dominating pass rush (yep, same issue we have) could leave their DBs on an island tomorrow against Trace and Co..

** Pitt's QB (Pickett) looks pretty good. What they showed against Albany was more of a "dink and dunk", horizontal passing game (5-7 yards per completion). Kid plays with confidence and completes almost all of his short passes. He doesn't have a big arm but he's accurate and can scramble.

** I would rate the Pitt OL as "TBD" at this point. They did their job but it was pretty obvious Albany's FCS DL was totally outclassed as you would expect from an opponent with only 63 scholarship players. I don't think there's anything you can take away from the OL play other than they dominated Albany.

** In the first quarter Albany surrendered a kickoff return TD (-7) and an 80-yard interception return that Pitt drove in for a 20 yard TD (-14). In addition, Pitt was gifted a TD on a 3rd and goal bobbled pass that really should have been a chip shot FG at best (-18).

** I feel better about tomorrow after watching Pitt / Albany. I feel like our offense matches up very well against this Pitt defense. Our sloppy-ass defense should at least be capable of limiting the damage against the Pitt offense, IMO. We'll see.
Bookser did not get hurt. He did not play. He may or may not be ready for PSU.

Reactions: JJTopp99
They will be throwing the kitchen sink tomorrow! They want this game so bad!!

** DBs looked suspect against Vinny Testaverdi's kid. Pitt's lack of a dominating pass rush (yep, same issue we have) could leave their DBs on an island tomorrow against Trace and Co..

To emphasize this point, Albany was 4-7 last year in the FCS Colonial Athletic Association. App State was 9-4 in the FBS Sun Belt Conference.

This has to be one of the dumbest fanbases in America. This game will be close. No amount of gazing at star ratings will change that. Pitt is deeper and more experienced, while PSU is more talented overall, but you can't fix in one week all of that confusion and uncertainty on the PSU D or utter cluelessness of the PSU OL in picking up blitzes. McSorely will be running for his life all game.

PSU also wont be able to wear down Pitt as the game progresses. Pitt rotates 6-7 players at each level throughout the defense with little drop off between them. Pitt might not be littered with 4 and 5 star talent, but you will know the names Wirginis, Camp and Weaver by game's end.

I expect to be banned within minutes, but I will return after the game to revel in the anguish and misery that will occur here immediately following. Good luck Saturday. You are going to need it.

We are going to see Pitt's verson of Appy State's strategy on both O and D. They will follow that script. Add in more counters, jet sweeps and shovel passes.

This has to be one of the dumbest fanbases in America. .

post-30364-you-are-so-dumb-you-are-really-uA6z.gif

This has to be one of the dumbest fanbases in America. This game will be close. No amount of gazing at star ratings will change that. Pitt is deeper and more experienced, while PSU is more talented overall, but you can't fix in one week all of that confusion and uncertainty on the PSU D or utter cluelessness of the PSU OL in picking up blitzes. McSorely will be running for his life all game.

PSU also wont be able to wear down Pitt as the game progresses. Pitt rotates 6-7 players at each level throughout the defense with little drop off between them. Pitt might not be littered with 4 and 5 star talent, but you will know the names Wirginis, Camp and Weaver by game's end.

I expect to be banned within minutes, but I will return after the game to revel in the anguish and misery that will occur here immediately following. Good luck Saturday. You are going to need it.
Even when Pitt has a deep and experienced team, which is questionable this year, especially on offense, why do they still manage to barely win 6 or 7 games most seasons while playing in arguably one of the easier Power5 divisions in any conference. Pitt is just the same story every year.

By the way, I'll take my chances with a qb who is 23-5 since 2016, and has won a Big 10 Championship and Fiesta Bowl Championship while playing in the toughest division in the Power 5.

persp or penis??

Pitt hasn't had a deep and experienced team since Jackie Sherrill sprinted out of town.

I will visit the Lair Sunday morning, so I can revel in the anguish and self-loathing for which the Lair is known for. I will laugh at how the Pitt morons continue to insist that they are not Little Brother, that JF and Trace are indeed very overrated, and how Narduzzi remains a genius, in spite of all evidence to the contrary. They will somehow decide that the 21 point loss could easily have been a 49 point win, if only the refs weren't blatantly favoring PSU, or if we didn't cheat somehow, or if our admissions standards were as high as their's, or if only we didn't have bagmen.

Yes, it will a good Sunday morning.

And best of luck to you at the Quick Lane Bowl. LOL

I’d expect Bookser to play, but if I’m not mistaken he’s been a guard for most of his time at Pitt and only has a handful of starts at tackle - and most of those starts were to fill in for the injured starter. He’s an experienced player as a guard, but I’m not sure if he’s gone up against a defensive end of Shareef Miller’s quality.

No banning, Peak doesn’t run our board.

Please keep posting....I haven’t laughed this hard since Chappelle’s Show days.

If Pitt should somehow beat PSU, I will be sad. However, I will recover and smile as I know these are facts: Pitt's stadium will be virtually empty for every game after tomorrow night. Regardless of the outcome of tomorrow's game, PSU will be invited to a higher tier bowl game than Pitt. Penn State will be rated for years to come in the top 25, with many top 10 finishes. Pitt fans will wear their perennial losing records like a crown of thorns, and speak like high school harry's about the big "upsets" they pull each year.....while never mentioning the losses to the likes of Youngstown State. Some season Pitt may even win 9 or 10 games.

Pitt is not deep, but they are experienced in giving up a ton of points. Penn State receivers will be running all over the field tomorrow wide open. Mcsorely will not miss them. Pitt is nowhere near as deep as Penn State.

As for dumb fan bases, we only seem dumb because you are so delusional. Your own media points it out and it drives you nuts. Pitt fans hate the truth and objectivity

PennState will beat Pitt down tomorrow. The 4thqtr Heinz will be filled only with penn staters singing and dancing while your in tears

Pitt fan here. Bookser (captain, RT) dressed but did not play any. It was pecautionary to a minor lingering injury from camp. Gabe Houy took his place and was serviceable. Expect Bookser to start tomorrow. This was also the case for a few others. There was also a handful that got a few reps and rested for the rest of the game.

Good luck tomorrow, and safe travels.

Your tears will be delicious tomorrow you delusional moron. You’ve shown your true colors and I hope you come back Sunday to take your medicine

Holy LOL!

Pitt rotates 6-7 players at each level throughout the defense with little drop off between them

Pitt, in a blowout win over a D-1AA team, played 10 DL, 7 LB and 10 DBs. Each number might be less since some may have only played special teams.

In an OT win over a top 5 G5 team, PSU played 11 DL, 7 LB, and 11 DBs, including special teams reps.

I think the OP had a pretty good read on the game. I can't disagree with anything he wrote.

I have a pretty good idea who "persp" is from the opening insult and the tone of his post. Other than RB, I'm not sure Pitt can brag about any depth anywhere else on the field. PSU has way more talent to run out there at just about every position. No idea why someone would be so blind to the facts. Pitt hasn't had depth in ages.

I think PSU got stronger as the game wore on offensively. I think both teams can be exploited in the middle of the field defensively. Probably not news to you guys. I'd take Pitt against the spread and I hope I'm wrong but I can't see PSU losing this one.

I think the OP had a pretty good read on the game. I can't disagree with anything he wrote.

I have a pretty good idea who "persp" is from the opening insult and the tone of his post. Other than RB, I'm not sure Pitt can brag about any depth anywhere else on the field. PSU has way more talent to run out there at just about every position. No idea why someone would be so blind to the facts. Pitt hasn't had depth in ages.

I think PSU got stronger as the game wore on offensively. I think both teams can be exploited in the middle of the field defensively. Probably not news to you guys. I'd take Pitt against the spread and I hope I'm wrong but I can't see PSU losing this one.
Thanks for a sensible post. May the best team win and above all, may both teams emerge 100 percent healthy. As I've stated many times, my ire and lack of respect is with The Lair Lunes. I don't think there is animosity between the players. In fact there are many friends competing tomorrow.

Agreed. Miles Sanders himself said that it’s more of a friendly game for him. They’re going to compete come tomorrow night, but no one hates each other. Seems like that’s the trend in other sports as well, from high school to pros. It also seems that the rivalries are carried on by the fans more often than not, as compared to the players.

I see it as a fun, in-state game. Never had any hate from me, but that’s because I didn’t grow up with it. The last one in Pittsburgh was exciting, one that any football fan at home would keep the channel on for. Hopefully tomorrow is the same.

By the way Marshall, do you know if Givens is playing tomorrow? Was curious. Thanks.
All indications are that he is playing.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT