ADVERTISEMENT

Was there a post-game incident Saturday?

This is correct. I did not agree with a lot of what Spanier tried to accomplish while leading PSU, especially with regards to student partying. This doesn't change the fact that he was unfairly prosecuted in an unconstitutional manner.

agree. Spanier (and Curley/Schultz) should never have been prosecuted just like nobody at Michigan, or MSU, or OSU or the dozens of other similar situations we have seen in the past decade that the administrators were never prosecuted in most cases. But for those that only remember that part of Spanier, people forget that for most of his tenure, he did a lot of things that were not the greatest.

Her LinkedIn shows no meaningful employment over the past several years. Now maybe that is her choice to be retired or semi-retired, but you would have to think that her reputation has made her quite toxic. That toxicity has nothing to do with Paterno, but with her scorched earth approach at UConn and PSU.

She was almost universally disliked during her time at TCNJ. The "interim" was to have led to a permanent position, but the school instead found someone else. Wouldn't surprise me that the reputation she garnered from her time at TCNJ alone would make he unemployable.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I agree completely with Cletus11. I would only add that this was going on at other universities where students were not allowed counsel, were not allowed to confront their accusers, and were deprived of due process. Being accused was enough to get a student expelled. This came to a head and these kangaroo courts were thrown out.
Thanks. Forgot all about that stuff before 2011.

some background on that. there was this maniacal prosecutor and a woman in charge of campus judiciary that kind of went nuts. Basically, you could be charged with anything and immediately expelled with zero due process or representation. And, the majority of arrests stemmed from an incident where a guy was talking crap to a player's girlfriend. At some point, the kid to the player's (or his GF's) cell phone and damaged it. The player went back, got several other players and they went to the kid's apartment. They pushed their way in to gain access and were charged with breaking and entering (a felony). Then there was a fight so another handful got charged with assalt. IIRC, they weren't supposed to be able to play while the charges were being investigated. Several were seniors. Joe told the PSU judiciary to screw off and played them and made them clean the stadium afterwards.

Do I remember that correctly? I am sure many of the details were wrong but think it was directionally correct. The only other thing I can recall is that the PSU official looked like John Lithgow in drag and trashed Joe in the New York Times after the Sandusky thing came out

Thats basically what I remember. I believe the original player involved was Scrirotto.

Reactions: TheGLOV
some background on that. there was this maniacal prosecutor and a woman in charge of campus judiciary that kind of went nuts. Basically, you could be charged with anything and immediately expelled with zero due process or representation. And, the majority of arrests stemmed from an incident where a guy was talking crap to a player's girlfriend. At some point, the kid to the player's (or his GF's) cell phone and damaged it. The player went back, got several other players and they went to the kid's apartment. They pushed their way in to gain access and were charged with breaking and entering (a felony). Then there was a fight so another handful got charged with assalt. IIRC, they weren't supposed to be able to play while the charges were being investigated. Several were seniors. Joe told the PSU judiciary to screw off and played them and made them clean the stadium afterwards.

Do I remember that correctly? I am sure many of the details were wrong but think it was directionally correct. The only other thing I can recall is that the PSU official looked like John Lithgow in drag and trashed Joe in the New York Times after the Sandusky thing came out.

If I remember it was the player and his girlfriend walking down college avenue and several guys basically stopped the player (as they recognized him) and was giving him $hit for being a player and not playing well and some recent losses. The girlfriend started jawing back at the other guys and they basically ripped her phone away and threw it and supposedly pushed her also (this was always the he said-she said part). So the player (having just been verbally assaulted and his girlfriend pushed and her phone smashed, went back to Nittany Apts, rounded up some players and went after them. I think the football player followed the guys back and saw they what apartment building they went into. So the football players barge into the apartment and a fight ensues. The police I think got involved (as back then the State College police were also out to screw over students any chance they go as part of Spanier's plan to clean up State College in pushing the police to slap big charges on anything they saw).

So Triponey essentially tried to suspend every player that was named implying basically that a roving band of football players essentially just randomly walked into a party and beat a bunch of defenseless students up for no reason. Joe basically said no (remembering the whole Rashard Casey incident as an example) and I think sited Justin King as a person that Triponey wanted to suspend who was on record (and in the police report also I think) as trying to break the whole thing up. Joe said that until all the facts come out and both sides of the story were heard (as only side being told was the side of non-football players) that he would handle the issue with the players as he saw fit. Eventually the whole story did come out and showed that the fight was instigated by the non-football players and the fight itself was not that bad and sort of a boys will be boys type of situation.

Reactions: bison13
If I remember it was the player and his girlfriend walking down college avenue and several guys basically stopped the player (as they recognized him) and was giving him $hit for being a player and not playing well and some recent losses. The girlfriend started jawing back at the other guys and they basically ripped her phone away and threw it and supposedly pushed her also (this was always the he said-she said part). So the player (having just been verbally assaulted and his girlfriend pushed and her phone smashed, went back to Nittany Apts, rounded up some players and went after them. I think the football player followed the guys back and saw they what apartment building they went into. So the football players barge into the apartment and a fight ensues. The police I think got involved (as back then the State College police were also out to screw over students any chance they go as part of Spanier's plan to clean up State College in pushing the police to slap big charges on anything they saw).

So Triponey essentially tried to suspend every player that was named implying basically that a roving band of football players essentially just randomly walked into a party and beat a bunch of defenseless students up for no reason. Joe basically said no (remembering the whole Rashard Casey incident as an example) and I think sited Justin King as a person that Triponey wanted to suspend who was on record (and in the police report also I think) as trying to break the whole thing up. Joe said that until all the facts come out and both sides of the story were heard (as only side being told was the side of non-football players) that he would handle the issue with the players as he saw fit. Eventually the whole story did come out and showed that the fight was instigated by the non-football players and the fight itself was not that bad and sort of a boys will be boys type of situation.
That's right. Two comments: today, taking or destroying someone's phone is considered a crime. Secondly, Triponey's version of "justice" was that anyone accused of anything could not participate in school activities outside of attending class until the issue had been resolved. She had this kangaroo court where the accused was not allowed to bring in an attorney. JVPs' problem was a kid playing football, say a senior, could miss his entire senior year if someone accused them of getting into a fight or date rape or whatever. If you have NFL aspirations, you stook to lose a hell of a lot more than some kid who wasn't going to be able to play intramural field hockey. Anyone who had a beef with a player could make an accusation just to cause trouble. And, a false accusation would not be punished so there was no downside to accusing a player of date rape or assault. JVP wanted a different standard for football players, not to be treated as better or special, but because the process affected them differently. Of course, CNN didn't detail that side of the story.

Reactions: Ski and BBrown
If you have NFL aspirations, you stook to lose a hell of a lot more than some kid who wasn't going to be able to play intramural field hockey. Anyone who had a beef with a player could make an accusation just to cause trouble. And, a false accusation would not be punished so there was no downside to accusing a player of date rape or assault.

Even if you didn't have aspirations, what you could lose is something more valuable - your reputation.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Me too. But it looks like the player was mentioned in the den. So it sort of fits.
Although there has been no confirmation.
I'm not seeing any smoke from this anywhere else (other sites, Twitter, etc).

Only thing I've seen was Beamon which doesn't seem to be related to anything on Saturday night unless it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Even if you didn't have aspirations, what you could lose is something more valuable - your reputation.
agreed. my point was that most students can take the time to let the system play out. Players have a different clock. If you are a player and get accused of something in Sept, you can miss the entire season in 6 weeks. You just don't have the time to fight even nuisance or "frivolous". In my world, tech, lawsuits are filed en masse just because it is cheaper to pay someone $50k, or so, just to make them go away. You'll spend far more than $50k even if you win by fighting it. i can certainly see some dude filing a sexual assault, date rape case, against a person like an all American DE just to make a quick $50k and a dual-NDA settlement.

Is there some kind of rule that says the OP could just come out and post what they heard?

Kind of like one person is not allowed to eat all of the fully loaded nachos and leaving the ones with just a little bit or cheese or meat for the other person.

I'm not seeing any smoke from this anywhere else (other sites, Twitter, etc).

Only thing I've seen was Beamon which doesn't seem to be related to anything on Saturday night unless it was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Are you a member in the Den?

That's right. Two comments: today, taking or destroying someone's phone is considered a crime. Secondly, Triponey's version of "justice" was that anyone accused of anything could not participate in school activities outside of attending class until the issue had been resolved. She had this kangaroo court where the accused was not allowed to bring in an attorney. JVPs' problem was a kid playing football, say a senior, could miss his entire senior year if someone accused them of getting into a fight or date rape or whatever. If you have NFL aspirations, you stook to lose a hell of a lot more than some kid who wasn't going to be able to play intramural field hockey. Anyone who had a beef with a player could make an accusation just to cause trouble. And, a false accusation would not be punished so there was no downside to accusing a player of date rape or assault. JVP wanted a different standard for football players, not to be treated as better or special, but because the process affected them differently. Of course, CNN didn't detail that side of the story.

More basic than that was, (1) it was guilty until proven innocent which is not acceptable in the USA and against the judicial system. and (2) there was not requirement for the accuser to present any evidence or was the accused out to cross examine or provide evidence of their own. So literally, any person could accuse any other person of something and automatically the person accused was put on probation and barred from activities (football player or normal student alike) until Triponey decided when she was going to make a decision. No evidence had to be provided to the accusation and the accused was not allowed any rebutall until Triponey allowed it which might be weeks away in the meantime they were essentially under house arrest during that time. And then once Triponey decided to dole our her justice, if it was found that the accuser falsely put forth the claim, there was no repercussion on that person. It was worse than a puppet third world dictatorship.

Reactions: The Shelter
More basic than that was, (1) it was guilty until proven innocent which is not acceptable in the USA and against the judicial system. and (2) there was not requirement for the accuser to present any evidence or was the accused out to cross examine or provide evidence of their own. So literally, any person could accuse any other person of something and automatically the person accused was put on probation and barred from activities (football player or normal student alike) until Triponey decided when she was going to make a decision. No evidence had to be provided to the accusation and the accused was not allowed any rebutall until Triponey allowed it which might be weeks away in the meantime they were essentially under house arrest during that time. And then once Triponey decided to dole our her justice, if it was found that the accuser falsely put forth the claim, there was no repercussion on that person. It was worse than a puppet third world dictatorship.
I am here to say that crooked system was in place long before Ms Vicky got there. I was in student government and we fought it but didn’t have the deep pockets to take it to court. Years later date rape became a the issue of the day on campii across the the country and Vicky went crazy.

makes sense

giphy.gif

I agree completely with Cletus11. I would only add that this was going on at other universities where students were not allowed counsel, were not allowed to confront their accusers, and were deprived of due process. Being accused was enough to get a student expelled. This came to a head and these kangaroo courts were thrown out.
I am certainly no fan of draconian university administrators. Ole Vicky can burn in hell as far as I am concerned. Having said that, several posting in this thread are confusing university disciplinary systems (which are non-governmental) with our court system. They are two entirely different settings. The right to counsel, to confront one’s accusers, the concept of being innocent until proven guilty, etc. are rights afforded U.S. citizens litigating in our courts. I am not aware that such rights exist in a private university setting, unjust as that might seem.

Reactions: WHCANole
I am certainly no fan of draconian university administrators. Ole Vicky can burn in hell as far as I am concerned. Having said that, several posting in this thread are confusing university disciplinary systems (which are non-governmental) with our court system. They are two entirely different settings. The right to counsel, to confront one’s accusers, the concept of being innocent until proven guilty, etc. are rights afforded U.S. citizens litigating in our courts. I am not aware that such rights exist in a private university setting, unjust as that might seem.
Couple problems with that position. These rigged hearings could have huge impact on a person’s entire life. With no appeal. Worse, what one said or what these hearings produced could be used later in a official government court.
Further a s a state school, it is not a private university setting. Being a state school gives added weight to proceedings.
Even in a private school the accused should have rights. Should one be accused in a company an an accused should have the right to an attorney and the right to cross the accuser.

not sure your point, just because they were treading in a legal gray area doesn't make what they did correct. Legally I can do a lot of things that morally are wrong. Legally a university can do a lot of things that are wrong as well. Ultimately enough people complained and they were threatened with several real lawsuits and recognized it as such. But not after ruining many students PSU experience.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
not sure your point, just because they were treading in a legal gray area doesn't make what they did correct. Legally I can do a lot of things that morally are wrong. Legally a university can do a lot of things that are wrong as well. Ultimately enough people complained and they were threatened with several real lawsuits and recognized it as such. But not after ruining many students PSU experience.
I don't believe 7113 was opining on the merits of the institutional policy, but rather the standing, or lack thereof, of contestants to the policy. Civil courts are available to adjudicate such contests, and in theory, offer relief to parties injured in the underlying matter. But most unfortunately, a ruined experience alone, likely compels little to no compensation or satisfaction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT