ADVERTISEMENT

Report: conference to announce disciplinary action against Michigan this afternoon

Jerry

May 29, 2001
This landed about an hour ago and sounds reliable but who knows.

From the link: >>The Big Ten, we’ve learned has considered the gamut of punishments...Now, we’re hearing this morning, it could be a three-game suspension, which would be significant and it could start this weekend...Among the “gamut” of possible punishments for Michigan, Dinich described a possible indefinite suspension, a two-year suspension, or even a simple public reprimand. Another form of punishment could be financial, including fines of up to $1 million or more.<<

From the link: >>The Big Ten, we’ve learned has considered the gamut of punishments...Now, we’re hearing this morning, it could be a three-game suspension, which would be significant and it could start this weekend...Among the “gamut” of possible punishments for Michigan, Dinich described a possible indefinite suspension, a two-year suspension, or even a simple public reprimand. Another form of punishment could be financial, including fines of up to $1 million or more.<<

Oops, sorry, I see this newsflash was already posted in the trouble-brewing thread.

So, it looks like this is a B1G issue and the NCAA issue is ongoing. So the B1G can do something and the NCAA do something far more meaningful. The article says it can do anything from a "public rebuke" to a multi-year suspension. So this leads me to believe that there will be some kind of short-term suspension pending the larger outcome. My bet is two or three games.

Reactions: bison13 and Jerry

The Big Ten is punishing Michigan by making CJF and Harbaugh trade places for the next 3 weeks.

Season 3 Entrance GIF by The Simpsons

So, it looks like this is a B1G issue and the NCAA issue is ongoing. So the B1G can do something and the NCAA do something far more meaningful. The article says it can do anything from a "public rebuke" to a multi-year suspension. So this leads me to believe that there will be some kind of short-term suspension pending the larger outcome. My bet is two or three games.

This has always been the case, and Michigan has been arguing that the conference needs to wait for the NCAA to finish their investigation knowing it won't conclude before the end of the season.

The NCAA actually has two ongoing investigations into Mr. Harbaugh's team between this and the covid recruiting. UM courageously suspended Jim for 3 games earlier this season, not the conference or the NCAA. I'd expect the NCAA to punish them for both at the same time.

Multiple media outlets are now reporting that the league will make known its decision this afternoon.

Meanwhile, Michigan's flight is scheduled to depart early this afternoon for the Penn State game. I mean, would the conference actually suspend Harbaugh's ass while the plane is in the air?

Multiple media outlets are now reporting that the league will make known its decision this afternoon.

Meanwhile, Michigan's flight is scheduled to depart early this afternoon for the Penn State game. I mean, would the conference actually suspend Harbaugh's ass while the plane is in the air?
Talk about having a golden parachute?….🤷🏼‍♀️

To me, this indicates no real penalties. It's too close to the game. Harbaugh should be suspended with pay though so curious to see what they do.

Reactions: bison13
Good lord. When JH was "punished" earlier in the season, the team treated it as a death. What the hell will they do if he gets suspended again? Perhaps bring out the riderless horse , boots facing backward with a melancholy version of "Jail to the Chief". Oops, I mean "Hail to the Chief". Actually why not melancholy Judy Collins with "Send in the Clowns".

Last edited:
To me, this indicates no real penalties. It's too close to the game. Harbaugh should be suspended with pay though so curious to see what they do.
they could easily make it after this week. I can understand and argument that this week would be too disruptive, especially if they choose to suspend a coordinator. But who knows, they may just sand a "strongly worded letter."

Et5-MOKWQAUHNsQ.jpg

You could be right though speculation is rife that there will be a suspension involved in whatever comes down.

But it does seem tacky to land it on the guy after he departs on the team plane. Then again, maybe Tony wants to rub it in a bit. Either way, I like Spin's parachute idea.

Meanwhile, rumor has it that there will actually be a big game played on the field tomorrow, and at this point I hope Harbaugh is NOT suspended for it. I just think that to do it at such a late hour, as the guy steps off the aircraft in Happy Valley, could play right into Michigan's martyr act and end up backfiring on us.

By the way, absolutely hilarious article here:

You could be right though speculation is rife that there will be a suspension involved in whatever comes down.

But it does seem tacky to land it on the guy after he departs on the team plane. Then again, maybe Tony wants to rub it in a bit. Either way, I like Spin's parachute idea.

Meanwhile, rumor has it that there will actually be a big game played on the field tomorrow, and at this point I hope Harbaugh is NOT suspended for it. I just think that to do it at such a late hour, as the guy steps off the aircraft in Happy Valley, could play right into Michigan's martyr act and end up backfiring on us.

Waiting until he's on the plane would be kind of a power move IMO. He gets to SC and is told he has to go back to Ann Arbor or his team forfeits.

Reactions: PSUCYCLING
Numerous reports suggesting John Harbaugh will coach UofM on Saturday if his brother is suspended.......
Ravens play Sunday at 1:00 pm versus Cleveland so logistically very easy to coach game and go to NFL game Saturday evening......

This isn't law. This isn't a criminal case (at least yet). What gives the NFL or any other league the right to suspend a player accused of breaking the law without due process? At PSU, we've had several players suspended because a woman accused them of "date rape". We had Vicky Trippony act as judge, jury and executioner over player's lives and careers without due process.

Remember this:

Shawn Oakman[edit]​

In February 2012, Shawn Oakman was dismissed from the Penn State Nittany Lions football team for a violation of team rules for stealing a sandwich and, while demanding the return of his identification card, for grabbing the wrist of the clerk who took it.[31] Oakman enrolled at Baylor. In 2013, Oakman had been previously accused of assaulting an ex-girlfriend, but no charges were pressed, which led to Oakman not being disciplined by Baylor. It is unclear if Baylor knew of the incident.[32]
A woman reported an assault that happened early Sunday morning of April 3, 2016, according to a Waco police affidavit. The woman told police she met Oakman at a nightclub and walked with him to his apartment, where she said Oakman forcibly removed her clothing and sexually assaulted her. The Associated Press generally does not identify alleged sexual assault victims. The woman told police she was able to leave the apartment after she was assaulted. The affidavit says the woman was "treated for her injuries" at a medical center, where a sexual assault examination was performed. Oakman was freed on $25,000 bond after his arrest.[33]
On July 20, 2016, Oakman was indicted by a grand jury on charges of second-degree felony sexual assault. Oakman, once considered a potential second- or third-round pick in the 2016 NFL draft, went undrafted after his arrest. The trial was initially slated for December 2018.[34][35] However, it did not begin until February 26 of the following year.​

On February 28, 2019, Oakman was found not guilty of sexual assault.[36]

Reactions: jimarnp
The Big Ten is punishing Michigan by making CJF and Harbaugh trade places for the next 3 weeks.
While that is really funny, I am not sure that pre-cheating, that would work out for us. I would have taken Franklin in a heartbeat. Similar records (with Franklin coming off sanctions no less) and Franklin can at least win bowl games.

Should be Hairball and the two coordinators. They seemed to be actively involved, more so than Jimmah.
Maybe The Big will pull a Lane Kiffin on the tarmac of the U Park Airport? Put Jimmah and his Coordinators back on the plane?

As much as I'd like to see that happen...it is too late in my opinion. BIG dicked around too long...after game is more reasonable.

Michigan is already crying victim w the RU/Purdue/Ill? sign sharing stuff. And how embarrassing would it be for us to lose to them without their 3 leaders?

Strangely, we are now the ones in the vice.

Must win for James either way, but heat boils over if Jimmah and Stallions buddies are not present.

Unfair to those poor players. The ones that benefited tremendously. And don’t tell me they didn’t know what Stallions was up to. Or had to be very suspicious.

Have to find victims. It’s the game plan for everything these days.
Regardless most dont seem to want the players penalized. Right or wrong

If they cheated.... seem pretty unfair to the players of all the other teams. WTF about the other players. Michigan players should look at the coaches....they are the ones f ing them over
Players are always going to be seen as the victim in these scenarios.

If they cheated.... seem pretty unfair to the players of all the other teams. WTF about the other players. Michigan players should look at the coaches....they are the ones f ing them over
Obviously to a degree the players there knew what was happening as well. Did they really think their coaches were geniuses that knew what play was coming and where every time?

Any suspension should be no contact for duration. His not being on the sideline will have little effect on this game, especially if he's able to coach over the phone and via Zoom at halftime. I'm sure he's got a communication bunker already prepared for any possible penalty. Big screens with every angle and direct lines with coordinators for verbal and visual communication.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Maybe The Big will pull a Lane Kiffin on the tarmac of the U Park Airport? Put Jimmah and his Coordinators back on the plane?

As much as I'd like to see that happen...it is too late in my opinion. BIG dicked around too long...after game is more reasonable.

Michigan is already crying victim w the RU/Purdue/Ill? sign sharing stuff. And how embarrassing would it be for us to lose to them without their 3 leaders?

Strangely, we are now the ones in the vice.

Must win for James either way, but heat boils over if Jimmah and Stallions buddies are not present.
I said on Tuesday that nothing will happen until next week. They want to look deliberative and fair instead of rushing to judgement. Plus, it would be very disruptive to suspend today. Do it Monday so school and Tran have time o adapt.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Unfair to those poor players. The ones that benefited tremendously. And don’t tell me they didn’t know what Stallions was up to. Or had to be very suspicious.

Have to find victims. It’s the game plan for everything these days.
Why would the players have known? Seems to me that letting them know would greatly increase the risk of getting caught.

Another thing to consider that hasn't really been discussed is the relative effectiveness Conor S must've had.

His job at face value seems like a forward thinking concept. Applying military intelligence models to the football battlefield makes a lot of sense in terms of examining tendencies, strengths, weaknesses etc. An outsiders perspective in ANY organization is often helpful. Sometimes we are too close to see the forest for the trees.

Shiano was on the OSU staff so the potential to share info is real. It was rumored that one highly successful high school coach in our conference was famous for not sharing game films. All other teams made sure that everyone was equipped. I can see similar "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" going on at the college level. Not sure of Purdue connections from this regime or the prior. If opposing coaches have chastized Stalions during postgame handshakes, as has been reported, then it is logical that others may have colluded to thwart his impact. None of that makes what UM pretty clearly did ok....they are just trying to run out the clock and 'win" before the house cleaning.

In this data and results driven world that we are in, the fact that Stalions remained employed means that he must've been producing a positive ROI for Harbaugh. Their recent successes coincide with his employment. A blind bird could find that worm.....

Tomorrows game is starting to feel more like USA Hockey vs USSR in 1980. Not that Michigan needed more reason to get hyped....The Jedi Knights vs Darth Vader. UMs center this week said he is fine playing the villian....so the "Rally behind our team and coaches" Rah Rah is in play. We know how powerful that was for us in 2012.

We need James, Mike and Manny to be at the top of their collective games and our young stars to play at their max. No stupid penalties. No Lambert-Smith drops like at the start of the UM game 2 years ago. No Allar freelancing ints. Good, if not great, special teams play. Consistent production from Kaytron and maybe Nick breaks one.

If we do so, then America can relax, Desmond and Mrs. Howard can eat sh_t, and the public flogging of Michigan can go forth until the Buckeyes beat them out of the playoff to everyone's relief!

Go State!

Reactions: Jerry
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT