ADVERTISEMENT

Walk-on Desi Davis earns scholarship

3c0b476367cb0252f9216eb215c8daac--desi-arnaz-i-love-lucy.jpg

TJ Johnson's spot, no doubt just for this year.
They were still 3 over before. Unless some of those schollies from the spring were only for one semester and now some of the RS SR's are paying for their own grad classes.

I have my own. This guy makes mistakes often... we've gone over this before.

Please tell me about the 4 scholarship players he doesn't have listed. I'm not saying the guy is perfect but his total was 85 until T.J. Johnson left.

1 Billy Fessler 2 Tyler Davis 3 Brandon Smith 4 Josh McPherson 5 Curtis Cothran 6 Parker Cothren 7 DaeSean Hamilton 8 Brendan Mahon 9 Andrew Nelson 10 Chasz Wright 11 De'Andre Thompkins 12 Marcus Allen 13 Mark Allen 14 Troy Apke 15 Nick Scott 16 Mike Gesicki 17 Jonathan Thomas 18 Jason Cabinda 19 Trace McSorley 20 Grant Haley 21 Koa Farmer 22 Saeed Blacknall 23 Amani Oruwariye 24 Christian Campbell 25 Torrence Brown 26 Sterling Jenkins 27 Tommy Stevens 28 Jarvis Miller 29 Ryan Bates 30 Saquon Barkley 31 Ryan Buchholz 32 Jake Cooper 33 Andre Robinson 34 Juwan Johnson 35 Brandon Polk 36 Stephen Gonzalez 37 Jonathan Holland 38 Ayron Monroe 39 Manny Bowen 40 Irvin Charles 41 John Reid 42 Garrett Taylor 43 Robert Windsor 44 Shareef Miller 45 Nick Bowers 46 John Petrishen 47 Kevin Givens 48 Jake Zembiec 49 Connor McGovern 50 Daniel Dalton 51 Alex Gellerstedt 52 Miles Sanders 53 Shane Simmons 54 Zechariah McPhearson 55 Michal Menet 56 Will Fries 57 Blake Gillikin 58 Ellison Jordan 59 Daniel Joseph 60 Cameron Brown 61 Shaka Toney 62 Alex Barbir 63 Antonio Shelton 64 Dae'lun Darien 65 Tyrell Chavis 66 Sean Clifford 67 Damion Barber 68 Yetur Matos 69 Robert Martin 70 CJ Thorpe 71 Mike Miranda 72 D.J. Brown 73 Brelin Faison-Walden 74 Jonathan Sutherland 75 Cameron Sullivan-Brown 76 Brailyn Franklin 77 Desmond Holmes 78 Mac Hippenhammer 79 Fred Hansard 80 K.J. Hamler 81 Donovan Johnson 82 Lamont Wade 83 Journey Brown 84 Ellis Brooks 85 Corey Bolds 86 Tariq Castro-Fields 87 Desi Davis

They were still 3 over before. Unless some of those schollies from the spring were only for one semester and now some of the RS SR's are paying for their own grad classes.

Please tell me about the 4 scholarship players he doesn't have listed. I'm not saying the guy is perfect but his total was 85 until T.J. Johnson left.
Sorry 2 over. Still are, unless McPherson and Fessler were only for the spring. But there are definitely tweets saying they got them last spring.

Sorry 2 over. Still are, unless McPherson and Fessler were only for the spring. But there are definitely tweets saying they got them last spring.

Question: Does John Reid count against the 85?

I know he's still on scholly but am not clear, because of his injury status, whether he would count against the limit.

According to bdgan referenced site we have a total of 31 scholarships available in 2018 class. 16 plus those names in BOLD. That is really good news

Jim's list includes McPherson but not Fessler. You're including Fessler, Desi Davis, and 1 other that Jim does not include.

Last edited:
According to bdgan referenced site we have a total of 31 scholarships available in 2018 class. 16 plus those names in BOLD. That is really good news

????
The 15 names in BOLD will no longer have eligibility in 2018. They are the reason we have a minimum of 16 spots available.

Tyler Shoop received a negative 6 scholarship.....his family pays 6X out of state tuition to free up 5 other scholarships..........not sure if you are factoring this into the numbers....

Jim's list includes McPherson but not Fessler. You're including Fessler, Desi Davis, and 1 other that Jim does not include.
Sigh, there are two McPherson's... his list only has 1

Sigh, there are two McPherson's... his list only has 1
Then that's the difference. J. McPherson, D. Davis, & Fessler. Jim might be wrong but then we need know how PSU can have more than 85.

J McPherson, Desi Davis and Fessler are not currently on scholarship. The linked website is accurate
Desi Davis just got a scholarship. The website currently lists 84 scholarship players, which reflects Johnson leaving and Davis and Smith with scholarships. Davis makes it 85 - which makes sense if Fessler and Josh McPhearson's scholarships from earlier this year were only for the spring semester.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Agreed. I can't understand how some can have such difficulty with this concept. Penn State does not get some special dispensation from the NCAA to go over the 85 scholarship limit.
Penn State has 82 student-athletes who were recruited as scholarship players (who are still active members of the squad). They all count towards the 85. Only those who are no longer part of the team - Chance Sorrell, perhaps Brendan Brosnan - no longer count. Period.
Therefore, the maximum number of non-scholarship recruits (walk-ons) who can be awarded athletic scholarships is three. Period.
Which three those are? Unless you have access to the inner workings, no one knows for sure. My personal best guess is Brandon Smith, Tyler Davis, and Desi Davis, and that the link posted earlier is likely accurate. But - in any event - it simply cannot be more than three.
No sh!t Sherlock. Period. Period. Period. You got more periods than a sorority house. The issue wasn't understanding the rules. It is reconcilling the tweets and press releases from the spring also granting other walk ons scholarships. At the time I suggested that a few of them would be spring only and every Tom, Dick, and Harry on this board then said "Oh they don't do spring only scholarships." Well, it looks like they do. Get off your high horse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT