ADVERTISEMENT

Vote for the Hodge Trophy

And here I thought the reward for being a three-time champ was three championships, and the the reward for being the most dominant wrestler in a given season is the Hodge.
That should be the case but this is the real world not the ideal world. Kinda like a hwt pinning his way to a tourney title but OW going to the 4x champ middleweight. Happens all the time in wrestling.

Any historians know of cases of a first time champ getting the Hodge over an undefeated 3x (even 2x) champ? And if so was the multiple champ considered one of the most dominant wrestlers (even if not THE most dominant) that year?

Any historians know of cases of a first time champ getting the Hodge over an undefeated 3x (even 2x) champ?

Jayson Ness (Minny) won the Hodge. He had finished 5th, 2nd, and 3rd in his previous trips to Nationals. He defeated Jake Varner for the award, and Varner had just won his 2nd straight NCAA title.

Any historians know of cases of a first time champ getting the Hodge over an undefeated 3x (even 2x) champ?

2001 can be argued a few ways. There were 2 Hodge Trophies handed out that year. 1 went to Cael Sanderson, the winner that year of his 3rd straight NCAA title. The other went to Neil Ackerman (Simpson College), who won the 174 DIII title. Ackerman had spinal meningitis as a boy, and had both legs amputated below the knees. He defeated returning champ Nick Slack (Augsburg) for the 174 title.

So you had a 3X NCAA Champ who shared the Hodge with a 1st time champ.

So now 5 pm CDT has come and gone, and the poll is still accepting votes.

One of the craziest online votes I've ever seen.

Reactions: Hotshoe
If it was jammenzesq it would make me go hmmmmm.
I really do suspect that there are some fans that think they are deciding who the Hodge goes to. Not just PSU fans either.

Walking it back serves you well in this instance. Nice recovery.

Just checked and the poll has been removed. Last I checked about 15 minutes ago, Zain was ahead by 2200 votes.

Thank you to all who were able to vote!
Your efforts are appreciated.

It is likely just a symbolic effort, since the overall votes are not likely to be separated by 2%. But, at least it measures and reflects support for the very dominant year by Zain Retherford.

When this is added to his Most Dominant Award, it may perhaps help some voters take a second look at adding Zain as their choice.

It's been a fun exercise in fan support.

If nothing else, hopefully Zain, Cael, the staff, the team and recruits will appreciate how much Penn State fans appreciate their hard work, their bonus point efforts and their exciting "Pennsylvania" wrestling style.

Cheers!

I spent 2 and a half hours voting in the car. Never seen anything like this poll.

And here I thought the reward for being a three-time champ was three championships, and the the reward for being the most dominant wrestler in a given season is the Hodge.
Once - great riposte re: Nolf on HR lineup thread. Take cover in your bunker after that brother.

Reactions: Onceafish
Once went, dare I say, KABOOM, KABOOM, KABOOM
CYES-qlUoAAIv45.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT