ADVERTISEMENT

VIDEO: Spencer Lee's annihilation of the #2 kid in PA at 120 lbs. in State Finals

amalone

Oct 12, 2005

For those who didn't see the match. Don't blink. It was over quickly. Brutal destruction.

Reactions: Descat1

For those who didn't see the match. Don't blink. It was over quickly. Brutal destruction.
The young guns way....Super excited to get Spencer. Would love to get his best friend G.Teasdale in a couple years too (YOUNG GUNS). That kid is a 2 time champ and is built like a tank for 113...Scoring machine....Built for PSU...Spencer will be at 125 for 2 years,

Wow is right! Total domination of the #4 kid in the country... I think I've seen that combo called a 'laced arm bar'... Would that be correct? Looked like he used it for the first few tilts...

Wow is right! Total domination of the #4 kid in the country... I think I've seen that combo called a 'laced arm bar'... Would that be correct? Looked like he used it for the first few tilts...
or "reinforced" if you are referring to him reaching across with his opposite hand and grabbing the wrist of the arm that is barred

Thanks Lucas! Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to... A guy I knew from Lion Mountain in the late 80s called it a laced arm bar. I imagine that would take some serious hand strength.

or "reinforced" if you are referring to him reaching across with his opposite hand and grabbing the wrist of the arm that is barred

Would have been "power chicken wing" where I grew up, but also in late-70's. "Arm Bar" was reserved for - arm under his with hand locked on forearm - called "double arm bar" if you had both hands locked on forearm by bringing the other arm around waist and grabbing forearm by wrist (with the near-side arm going directly under arm and locking on forearm just above the hand on wrist).

Pretty amazing combination of physical talent, technical proficiency and a mean streak. Just went out in his typical way and imposed his will on a very good high school wrestler. No surprise though. He steamrolled his way through World Juniors last summer. Some will say, "but that was freestyle." Nevertheless, the talent level at World Juniors is pretty high. What he did was noteworthy. I guarantee the coaches from other countries took note.

Pretty amazing combination of physical talent, technical proficiency and a mean streak. Just went out in his typical way and imposed his will on a very good high school wrestler. No surprise though. He steamrolled his way through World Juniors last summer. Some will say, "but that was freestyle." Nevertheless, the talent level at World Juniors is pretty high. What he did was noteworthy. I guarantee the coaches from other countries took note.

Spencer rolls the field wins the finals 15-0 and had the look of Leonidas as he was congratulated coming off the mat. Kid has a burning in his belly that few do.

Lee is one of the most talented high school wrestlers I've ever seen, but he has some things to learn about respecting his opponents. I was disappointed by the fact that he face mashed his finals opponent at the end of the match. He also glared down at his quarterfinals opponent after the match in a way that was....unnecessary.

I know some folks don't care about that stuff, but some of us do. Let's not castigate Gilman for face mashing and then give a free pass to a kid on our recruiting radar for doing essentially the same thing. And please, please don't try to tell me that wasn't a face mash. It was.

The good news is that youth is a disease, but it can be cured. A wise man once said that.

Reactions: cp4psu
Would have been "power chicken wing" where I grew up, but also in late-70's. "Arm Bar" was reserved for - arm under his with hand locked on forearm - called "double arm bar" if you had both hands locked on forearm by bringing the other arm around waist and grabbing forearm by wrist (with the near-side arm going directly under arm and locking on forearm just above the hand on wrist).
I've never known that to be called anything other than a "one-on-one" or "two-on-one" as you've described.

Lee is one of the most talented high school wrestlers I've ever seen, but he has some things to learn about respecting his opponents. I was disappointed by the fact that he face mashed his finals opponent at the end of the match. He also glared down at his quarterfinals opponent after the match in a way that was....unnecessary.

I know some folks don't care about that stuff, but some of us do. Let's not castigate Gilman for face mashing and then give a free pass to a kid on our recruiting radar for doing essentially the same thing. And please, please don't try to tell me that wasn't a face mash. It was.

The good news is that youth is a disease, but it can be cured. A wise man once said that.
Huh? Are you watching that from a different camera angle. He never pushed down at all on Desanto's head. Not even close to what Gilman did.

Austin DeSanto is a GREAT wrestler and will be heard from again, and at the D1 level in college also, if he so desires. I have seen him 4 or 5 times and what you saw above, in no way reflects his talent, he is simply going up against a once-in-a-generation wrestler.

Huh? Are you watching that from a different camera angle. He never pushed down at all on Desanto's head. Not even close to what Gilman did.

The face mash starts at 1:46 of the video. It was much clearer on the PCN broadcast. It's a little obscured by the ref in this video but it's still unmistakable.

The face mash starts at 1:46 of the video. It was much clearer on the PCN broadcast. It's a little obscured by the ref in this video but it's still unmistakable.
I agree with Clucas and the comment he posted regarding there was no face mush. In my opinion, there was no face mush or deadly glare...give me a break. He was getting up off the mat and was pulling his arm free. I watched the PCN broadcast as well and didn't see what you are talking about. You're looking to find something critical in something great. Easy to be critical toward a kid when you can hide behind the faceless tag name of widowmaker. Here's a wrestler that just returned from a 6-month hiatus from wrestling due to an injury he sustained representing the United States in international competition and you want to search to find something negative in a stellar performance. The fact that he entered the state tournament with 8 total matches and did what he did is incredible. DeSanto's entered the tournament 47-0, Lee entered the tournament 8-0. Remember, there were some on this forum that said he wouldn't be able to complete the comeback and had some pretty doom and gloom comments to be made...over and over again. There was a long thread on this forum that counted the 10,000 ways that it was over for him and that he would never make it back for the state tournament or maybe even be competitive again. One guy even said that he should take two years off... There will always be some that try to tear kids down and be negative and it's easy to do when they can hide behind cowardly anonymous posting names. It's really sad and that fact is unmistakable.

I agree with Clucas and the comment he posted regarding there was no face mush. In my opinion, there was no face mush or deadly glare...give me a break. He was getting up off the mat and was pulling his arm free. I watched the PCN broadcast as well and didn't see what you are talking about. You're looking to find something critical in something great. Easy to be critical toward a kid when you can hide behind the faceless tag name of widowmaker. Here's a wrestler that just returned from a 6-month hiatus from wrestling due to an injury he sustained representing the United States in international competition and you want to search to find something negative in a stellar performance. The fact that he entered the state tournament with 8 total matches and did what he did is incredible. DeSanto's entered the tournament 47-0, Lee entered the tournament 8-0. Remember, there were some on this forum that said he wouldn't be able to complete the comeback and had some pretty doom and gloom comments to be made...over and over again. There was a long thread on this forum that counted the 10,000 ways that it was over for him and that he would never make it back for the state tournament or maybe even be competitive again. One guy even said that he should take two years off... There will always be some that try to tear kids down and be negative and it's easy to do when they can hide behind cowardly anonymous posting names. It's really sad and that fact is unmistakable.

It's simply amazing what people will will themselves to see. Or not see.

Agree with you entirely. It's amazing how people want to view something negatively that isn't there. Easy to do in an anonymous manner.
On the Face Mash topic. If my son did it, I would talk to him and tell him not to do it again. If it happened to my son, and he wanted talk to me about it, I would tell him, if you don't want your face mashed, then don't let yourself get into a position to be face mashed, in the first place.

It's simply amazing what people will will themselves to see. Or not see.

I'm not willing myself to do anything. What I see is a kid winning his third title, holding his opponent down with one hand and raising the other to celebrate his well-deserved 3rd title. He doesn't mash his face in any way. Also to your point, wrestling is a rough sport. These kids are intense, passionate, emotional and competitive and that sometimes manifests itself in less than ideal sportsmanship and behavior. I don't fault them for that given the nature of the sport. That said, I see none of that here.

"He knew what went on in the state finals vs Lee and every once in awhile, you have to take a beating. But by then, he didn't care. The way he saw it, everybody takes a beating sometime."

Desanto's reaction backs you up.

I prefer the Q/McIntosh approach to victory. Not saying anything was particularly outrageous here, but that's my preference.

Desanto's comments before the match:

“I haven’t really seen [Lee] wrestle,” said DeSanto, who enters the finals 50-0 and ranked No. 2 in the state behind Lee. “I really don’t care. I’m worried about myself, not someone else.

“This is just another match. I don’t know why I should change my style for him. He’s never wrestled anyone like me, so I’m going to go after him.”

Lee has been his normal dominant self. The two-time world champion in freestyle has spent 2:43 on the mat in three machine-like pins.

"My coach told me he is good on top, and I’m not going to let him do that,” DeSanto said. “I’m going to try and frustrate him and go after him.”

“I haven’t really seen [Lee] wrestle,” said DeSanto, who enters the finals 50-0 and ranked No. 2 in the state behind Lee. “I really don’t care. I’m worried about myself, not someone else.

“This is just another match. I don’t know why I should change my style for him. He’s never wrestled anyone like me, so I’m going to go after him.”

Lee has been his normal dominant self. The two-time world champion in freestyle has spent 2:43 on the mat in three machine-like pins.

"My coach told me he is good on top, and I’m not going to let him do that,” DeSanto said. “I’m going to try and frustrate him and go after him.”

His coach may have skipped over a few points.

Lee is great everywhere. At least desanto didn't take the Ryan Taylor approach (I.e. He's not in my league)

"He's (Lee) never wrestled anyone like me" is funny, and kinda endearing.

But ultimately like the Titanic captain saying the iceberg has never seen a boat like his.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT