ADVERTISEMENT

Urban being Urban

I mean, I really don't get this.

Young attended Ohio State's camp and was "treated like a piece of meat." Well, that IS what those camps tend to be about. Bring in 400 "pieces of meat", get them on film, and then see if there are some "not already on our radar but should be on our radar guys" who are worthy of another look.

And evidently Young WAS "worthy of another look." After all, he got an offer!!!

So Young asked "what changed, why the offer?" And Urban was brutally honest. But who cares what Urban used to think --- you have an Ohio State offer NOW! That's a good thing!

I get it, Urban could have hedged Young's question (we were full at your position, I saw your tape before but you really improved when I saw you here in Columbus, blah blah blah blah) ....... but I don't view Urban as the bad guy here.

Last edited:
Sad what 11Warriors has become. Stories about recruits that did NOT pick Ohio State. Was once a good site.

Kid sounds like a prima donna. Isn't that the way those camps work? The kid blossomed late. Now, Urban's use of the word "insubstantial" to describe his first impression is unnecessary as Mich pointed out.

Insubstantial Player with Insubstantial Offers from Insubstantial programs.

I mean, maybe the kid is a diva, but that statement is arrogant, condescending, and flies in the face of higher education. Urban is really one of the bad guys running the NCAA scam. Even at 17, I want to believe I would tell him to F*ck directly off.

Urban meyers = success without honor He may win games at a higher percentage than JoePa but meyers lack class, dignity & honor.

Reactions: cyrizzle
Sometimes the truth hurts.

No i get it, and there is a reason your team is so talented, well coached, and in the National hunt year in and year out, but for a second, envision this kid being your son. What would you think of a coach that said your kid was an insubstantial player with insubstantial offer from insubstantial programs? How would you react if someone said to you, at this point in your life, that you have an insubstantial job with an insubstantial organization?

I mean, not to sugarcoat this or anything, kids need to learn that the world is tough, but couldn't this be said differently? Like:

"Son, a year ago we thought you were a little slow and undersized, at THE Osu we only recruit the best of the best and we simply did not think you reached that threshold your Sophomore year. With tat said, all the hard work and dedication you have put in over the last 14 months has really impressed us and we think you would be a great fit for our program today and for the next four years." I mean, right?

No i get it, and there is a reason your team is so talented, well coached, and in the National hunt year in and year out, but for a second, envision this kid being your son. What would you think of a coach that said your kid was an insubstantial player with insubstantial offer from insubstantial programs? How would you react if someone said to you, at this point in your life, that you have an insubstantial job with an insubstantial organization?

I mean, not to sugarcoat this or anything, kids need to learn that the world is tough, but couldn't this be said differently? Like:

"Son, a year ago we thought you were a little slow and undersized, at THE Osu we only recruit the best of the best and we simply did not think you reached that threshold your Sophomore year. With tat said, all the hard work and dedication you have put in over the last 14 months has really impressed us and we think you would be a great fit for our program today and for the next four years." I mean, right?
Well first, the kid said he was the same size (He said, ‘Well, if you look back at that time, you were how big?’ I said, ‘6-7, 270, just like I am now.’) so he can't say that or the kid knows he's just blowing smoke up his ass.

But to the rest of your posts...for all we know he did say something like this. I guarantee this was NOT the only thing Urban said: "Well, you were an insubstantial player with insubstantial offers from an insubstantial school." We only have one side of the story here, and I doubt we ever get the other side. Urban could have very well said along the lines of: "A year ago you were an insubstantial player with an insubstantial offer from an insubstantial school, but you've clearly worked hard to improve your game and it's that kind of hard work and dedication to your craft that we want here and it's that kind of effort and tenacity that wins us titles."

He clearly already had a chip on his shoulder that he wasn't offered the first time though and didn't like Urban's direct response. So be it. He can use it as motivation in the Belk Bowl.

Reactions: kybuckeye2
A few years back, a OG named Dalton from Ohio was rated #7 in the country and the Buckeyes never offered him. Can you imagine PSU, not offering a PA OL rated #7???
Dalton finished the year rated #10 and committed to Oklahoma.

The reason OSU never offered him, they went out and got the "#2 rated OG" from Texas, a kid named Knox. That is what we are up against with both OSU and Mich when it comes to recruiting. OSU is killing it again this year, so we have a ways to go in order to be competitive. Say what you want about Urban, but the guy can recruit and coach!

Well first, the kid said he was the same size (He said, ‘Well, if you look back at that time, you were how big?’ I said, ‘6-7, 270, just like I am now.’) so he can't say that or the kid knows he's just blowing smoke up his ass.

But to the rest of your posts...for all we know he did say something like this. I guarantee this was NOT the only thing Urban said: "Well, you were an insubstantial player with insubstantial offers from an insubstantial school." We only have one side of the story here, and I doubt we ever get the other side. Urban could have very well said along the lines of: "A year ago you were an insubstantial player with an insubstantial offer from an insubstantial school, but you've clearly worked hard to improve your game and it's that kind of hard work and dedication to your craft that we want here and it's that kind of effort and tenacity that wins us titles."

He clearly already had a chip on his shoulder that he wasn't offered the first time though and didn't like Urban's direct response. So be it. He can use it as motivation in the Belk Bowl.

I'm going to believe the kid because how many 17-year olds use the word insubstantial multiple times in a sentence?

Reactions: step.eng69
I'm going to believe the kid because how many 17-year olds use the word insubstantial multiple times in a sentence?
I never said he was lying or being untruthful in any way. I don't believe he was, I'm sure Urban said that or something similar. I just don't believe it's the entire story or the entire quote.

Reactions: kybuckeye2

Young attended Ohio State's camp and was "treated like a piece of meat." Well, that IS what those camps tend to be about. Bring in 400 "pieces of meat", get them on film, and then see if there are some "not already on our radar but should be on our radar guys" who are worthy of another look.

So Young asked "what changed, why the offer?" And Urban was brutally honest. But who cares what Urban used to think --- you have an Ohio State offer NOW! That's a good thing!

I get it, Urban could have hedged Young's question (we were full at your position, I saw your tape before but you really improved when I saw you here in Columbus, blah blah blah blah) ....... but I don't view Urban as the bad guy here.
you don't treat 6-7 275 badly. Urbs didn't have to say what he said. He could have said, 'how big were you last year? 6-7 275 just like now. Let me just say, that 275 aint like it was last year, you've really grown into your body, you must be working really hard, right?? Yeah coach working hard. From what I've seen, you are probably one of the best players in the entire state of KY. Now here at OSU we recruit the best players in the entire United states!! So last year while you were a great player in a great state, you now have moved up to be a great player in all of the United States!! You've done well for yourself! Now let me ask what are your goals??' and take it from there.

you don't treat 6-7 275 badly. Urbs didn't have to say what he said. He could have said, 'how big were you last year? 6-7 275 just like now. Let me just say, that 275 aint like it was last year, you've really grown into your body, you must be working really hard, right?? Yeah coach working hard. From what I've seen, you are probably one of the best players in the entire state of KY. Now here at OSU we recruit the best players in the entire United states!! So last year while you were a great player in a great state, you now have moved up to be a great player in all of the United States!! You've done well for yourself! Now let me ask what are your goals??' and take it from there.

Yes, Urban could have given a more professional answer to the kid. It's not the best look.

Still --- this is the equivalent of a hiring manager making a job offer (remember, Young DID get an offer from Ohio State!), and the candidate saying "well that's nice, but I applied 6 months ago, why didn't I get a job offer then?"

Hiring Manager would probably be a little pissed (not to mention puzzled, why is he hung up on the past???).

So I get it.

Well, if Urban said what the kid claims he said, it showed a total lack of respect for the recruit as a person with dignity. Urban should be above treating kids like meat. If not, he should get out of college football.

Well, if Urban said what the kid claims he said, it showed a total lack of respect for the recruit as a person with dignity. Urban should be above treating kids like meat. If not, he should get out of college football.

Urban treated him with dignity. Shoot, he made him an offer!!! Then Young decided to bring up something that was completely irrelevant (him not getting an offer at a previous time).

Look again at the link: if Young's account is correct, Urban DID give a dignified response to Young the first time he asked. Then Young decided, for whatever reason, to press the question. I understand why Urban got annoyed.

------------------------------

Young: "Coach (Meyer), what was the reason that you all of a sudden offered me?"

Urban: "We looked at your tape, and it was pretty good and I saw interest in that" (an answer to the question, and a professional response)

Young: "Well coach, back when I was just committing to Kentucky and keeping my options open, I came up to a camp and sent you my film and everything, and you didn’t even reply. It seemed like y’all just deleted it." (pressing the issue, getting hung up on the past)

Urban: gets annoyed and gives his response.

Urban treated him with dignity. Shoot, he made him an offer!!! Then Young decided to bring up something that was completely irrelevant (him not getting an offer at a previous time).

Look again at the link: if Young's account is correct, Urban DID give a dignified response to Young the first time he asked. Then Young decided, for whatever reason, to press the question. I understand why Urban got annoyed.

------------------------------

Young: "Coach (Meyer), what was the reason that you all of a sudden offered me?"

Urban: "We looked at your tape, and it was pretty good and I saw interest in that" (an answer to the question, and a professional response)

Young: "Well coach, back when I was just committing to Kentucky and keeping my options open, I came up to a camp and sent you my film and everything, and you didn’t even reply. It seemed like y’all just deleted it." (pressing the issue, getting hung up on the past)

Urban: gets annoyed and gives his response.
The kid's question was legit and NO, you're incorrect. Urban did not treat the kid with dignity the way he responded. The kid may have asked the question just to see how OSU relates to potential recruits. Urban's the adult in the room. Is he so thin skinned that he loses it over a question from a 17 year old? If so, he wouldn't coach my son.

All that said......

If the exact same story surfaced with "CJF" replacing "Urby" ......you would have worked yourself up into a foaming-at-the-mouth masturbation session.

BTW - Don't you have a concession stand (and a porta-john) somewhere to evaluate? Maybe at the local Pee-Wee league field?

The kid's question was legit and NO, you're incorrect. Urban did not treat the kid with dignity the way he responded. The kid may have asked the question just to see how OSU relates to potential recruits. Urban's the adult in the room. Is he so thin skinned that he loses it over a question from a 17 year old? If so, he wouldn't coach my son.

Fine --- the question is legit. Urban answered it, he gave a professional response!!!

But Young decided to press n.

Seriously: if you're make someone a job offer and they ask "why not earlier?", and you respond, and then they CONTINUE to ask "why not earlier?" --- wouldn't you get annoyed?

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Insubstantial Player with Insubstantial Offers from Insubstantial programs.

I mean, maybe the kid is a diva, but that statement is arrogant, condescending, and flies in the face of higher education. Urban is really one of the bad guys running the NCAA scam. Even at 17, I want to believe I would tell him to F*ck directly off.

Urban meyers = success without honor He may win games at a higher percentage than JoePa but meyers lack class, dignity & honor.

Let's cut to the chase on some of these responses. You guys are saying that once one side of a story comes out, we should believe that side of the story is 100% accurate and believe it, no questions asked?

This is all on the kid.....he's already a Kentucky commit but taking a visit to another school.....he gets an offer from tOSU but starts bitching about why it took so long.....he decides not to go to tOSU, but decides to dump on them in public, serving no useful purpose whatsoever.

The kid has no integrity and no class..... what happened in Urban's office should have stayed in Urban's office.

Let's cut to the chase on some of these responses. You guys are saying that once one side of a story comes out, we should believe that side of the story is 100% accurate and believe it, no questions asked?
Hey, that's right. We learned to be that way seeing the "proper" reactions by other teams' fans on this board following the Sandusky scandal. We learned from the "best."

Urban is scum. Period.

Hey, that's right. We learned to be that way seeing the "proper" reactions by other teams' fans on this board following the Sandusky scandal. We learned from the "best."
For some of the high horses around here, you'd think rising above and being the bigger person would be the preferred reaction rather than sinking to the lowest common denominator. To each their own.

This is all on the kid.....he's already a Kentucky commit but taking a visit to another school.....he gets an offer from tOSU but starts bitching about why it took so long.....he decides not to go to tOSU, but decides to dump on them in public, serving no useful purpose whatsoever.

The kid has no integrity and no class..... what happened in Urban's office should have stayed in Urban's office.

Where are you on the Hack blames CJF for poor performance situation?

This really does not bother me - he told the kid at the time he wasn't up to OSU's standards, I bet Joe Pa had to tell 1000 kids that. It's real life...tough stuff. Besides that...all you have here is the kids side of the story.

No problem with telling a kid he wasn't up to OSU's standards(ie, really good at football, really bad at school), but why not just say that? You are an insubstantial poster, with an insubstantial viewpoint, from some insubstantial team blog not related to PSU....how's that?

No problem with telling a kid he wasn't up to OSU's standards(ie, really good at football, really bad at school), but why not just say that? You are an insubstantial poster, with an insubstantial viewpoint, from some insubstantial team blog not related to PSU....how's that?

There are ways to do that with tact and class, which Urban is missing in his DNA and being really bad at school wouldn't disqualify him from going to Ohio State.

That's nice...thank you very much!!

Agreed. While these are kids, this is also big time football.

Why did Urban really leave Florida? That's a much question better upon which to focus attention.

And you can use it as motivation to get the hell off this board bc no one here likes you!

Reactions: Ski
Not only all the stuff being mentioned. Urban also gave the kid a swirly, punched him in the kidneys, did that thing where you kick back of a person's knees to make them buckle, took his lunch money, and bullied him on social media.

A few years back, a OG named Dalton rated #7 in the country and the Buckeyes never offered him. Can you imagine PSU, not offering a PA OL rated #7???
Dalton finished the year rated #10 and committed to Oklahoma.

The reason OSU never offered him, they went out and got the "#2 rated OG" from Texas, a kid named Knox. That is what we are up against with both OSU and Mich when it comes to recruiting. OSU is killing it again this year, so we have a ways to go in order to be competitive. Say what you want about Urban, but the guy can recruit and coach!
He maybe able to coach and recruit but honor and culture, that's another story. According to BR he has his 2017 4 star QB recruiting another QB 5 star after he told the kid he would bring one QB in this year. That's the honor issue. He has brainwashed Danny Clark by rationalizing "it is a business". He even has Clark buying into the change as business. Now Meyers is correct, it is a business but for him and Ohio State is not suppose to be for a high school junior 2017 Commit who comitted in 2013 as a freshman in high school. That is the culture problem. Hey Emmert got your eyes out for culture problems. Just love the hypocrisy!

Reactions: Ski
He maybe able to coach and recruit but honor and culture, that's another story. According to BR he has his 2017 4 star QB recruiting another QB 5 star after he told the kid he would bring one QB in this year. That's the honor issue. He has brainwashed Danny Clark by rationalizing "it is a business". He even has Clark buying into the change as business. Now Meyers is correct, it is a business but for him and Ohio State is not suppose to be for a high school junior 2017 Commit who comitted in 2013 as a freshman in high school. That is the culture problem. Hey Emmert got your eyes out for culture problems. Just love the hypocrisy!

You forgot to mention that in the article Clark, the 4 Star QB in question said "They didn't throw it on me, I've known it for quite awhile". If he doesn't like other QBs he can decommit with plenty of time to find a top school. You call that being brainwashed or rationalizing? I call it committing to a top ranked program that will have other top ranked recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT